PDA

View Full Version : Quick action needed if Seattle wants new team

phlp_bj
07-03-2008, 04:49 PM
SEATTLE (AP) - With the SuperSonics on their way out, Seattle needs to act fast if it wants a new NBA team soon.

Commissioner David Stern sent the city a warning Wednesday, saying officials have less than 18 months to come up with a funding plan for a KeyArena renovation if there's hope of an NBA return within five years.

A settlement reached Wednesday between the SuperSonics and the city terminates the current lease and allows owner Clay Bennett to move the team to Oklahoma City for the 2008-09 season.

Stern said the league was aware that city, county and state officials were discussing a $300 million renovation of the arena, adding the league would help with the reconstruction plan if the funding was approved. But it's got to happen fast.

"Given the lead times associated with any franchise acquisition or relocation and with a construction project as complex as a KeyArena renovation, authorization of the public funding needs to occur by the end of 2009 in order for there to be any chance for the NBA to return to Seattle within the next five years," Stern said in a statement.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8308384/Quick-action-needed-if-Seattle-wants-new-team

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
If they add another team in the West, would they also add another one in the East? Like after it's Brooklyn Nets, start a new franchise in New Jersey.

Ragun
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
If they add another team in the West, would they also add another one in the East? Like after it's Brooklyn Nets, start a new franchise in New Jersey.

There might be 2 new franchises...

superkegger
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
well with the amoung bennet paid to get out of the lease, thats a good start on money for a renovation

abe_froman
07-03-2008, 05:49 PM

they probably wont be expanding,they'll just move the the grizz and rename them sonics

HOZ THE KNICK
07-03-2008, 05:57 PM

that makes a lot of sense.

I Am Awesome-O
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
they probably wont be expanding,they'll just move the the grizz and rename them sonics

No, actually. The Griz have a contract with the FedEx Forum that says they cannot relocate for something around ten years. So if Seattle still hasn't gotten a new team by then, maybe they can look then. But I still don't see the Griz relocating then because at that time they will be really good and ticket sales will be very high, so there won't really be a need to relocate. The Grizzlies are gonna be in Memphis for a long time; I don't know that anyone knows that.

abe_froman
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
No, actually. The Griz have a contract with the FedEx Forum that says they cannot relocate for something around ten years. So if Seattle still hasn't gotten a new team by then, maybe they can look then. But I still don't see the Griz relocating then because at that time they will be really good and ticket sales will be very high, so there won't really be a need to relocate. The Grizzlies are gonna be in Memphis for a long time; I don't know that anyone knows that.

i didn't know that

Phann
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
There will be a lot of action in the NBA in the upcoming years. Curious to see what happens.

willie84
07-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I never understood why LA has 2 teams. Why don't the Clippers just move to Seattle and rename themselves the Sonics. Just a thought.