PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis is Overrated

EyeBelieve
07-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Negotiations are resuming with Ellis' camp and I don't want to see the Warriors pay more than they should. Ellis is reported to want more than $10M a year which is actually quite ridiculous. If there is another 6'3 shooting guard that has very little point guard skills like Ellis, that has become a star in the league, then I can't think of one. Monta is a horrid defender with the inability to guard his position. Kevin Martin, at 6'7, shouldn't blow by Ellis whenever he wanted but he did when they played in Sacramento. He's has a career 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio and its not like he's dishing out 6+ assists per game (3.4). His ball handling is suspect as he still tends to dribble it off his foot when no one is guarding him. Monta's a nice young player, but being quick and athletic in the NBA doesn't warrant a huge contract. He's not in the same realm as Chris Paul or Deron Williams talentwise, who will both get max contracts when they're due. He's a Mo Williams type player at best. If Miami wants him that bad, then the Warriors should sign and trade him along with another player for Shawn Marion.

The83rdWonder
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Monta Ellis' camp are asking for more money because Golden State has no choice but to make him their franchise player, if the Arenas/Josh Smith/Brand negotiations work out.

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Monta Ellis is a beast and deserve money

Master Mind
07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Monta Ellis is underrated if anything...

LakeShow
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Well... we'll see how he does now that Baron Davis is gone. My impression of him (from what I've seen and remember) is that he's a poor man's Tony Parker--he is quick and likes to attack the rim; he has more range; but he is a porous defender and his playmaking skills are questionable.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-03-2008, 02:58 PM
he's good on the run his halfcourt game sucks!

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM

wow that sentence makes a lot of sense.

saucy1
07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
monta is a scoring machine he deserves the same contract baron got but i agree hes not comfortable at starting pg i think he can play there about 15 mins a game we need another floor general

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
haha your sayin he's not that good of a player.. yet u say trade him for shawn marion?

RocketsRule
07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Monta Ellis is probably one of those guys who just flourish's in this type of offense. He is quick, and has an almost automatic outside jumper. However, we haven't seen him play in any other offense, so this is just an assumption. Although, I still think a deal around 5 yrs/60 mil makes sense.

Zefflin
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
monta is a scoring machine he deserves the same contract baron got but i agree hes not comfortable at starting pg i think he can play there about 15 mins a game we need another floor general

So he's a scoring machine yet you only want him getting 15 mins a game...:eyebrow: (i hope you mean at the starting PG spot, either way you still sound stupid)

bleedprple&gold
07-03-2008, 03:30 PM
If there is another 6'3 shooting guard that has very little point guard skills like Ellis, that has become a star in the league, then I can't think of one.

Allen Iverson, although he is a little shorter and has better point guard skills, but nonetheless, they are similar type players

BADizzleBoY
07-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah a 20 ppg avg is very overrated....

WillisLovechild
07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
So he's a scoring machine yet you only want him getting 15 mins a game...:eyebrow: (i hope you mean at the starting PG spot, either way you still sound stupid)

he doesnt sound stupid at all. he clearly said play monta at PG for 15 minutes, and its assumed that he plays the rest at SG. you sound stupid now for calling him out for no reason.

#1Mavericksfan
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't think he plays defense at all

GiantsNinersW's
07-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Negotiations are resuming with Ellis' camp and I don't want to see the Warriors pay more than they should. Ellis is reported to want more than $10M a year which is actually quite ridiculous. If there is another 6'3 shooting guard that has very little point guard skills like Ellis, that has become a star in the league, then I can't think of one. Monta is a horrid defender with the inability to guard his position. Kevin Martin, at 6'7, shouldn't blow by Ellis whenever he wanted but he did when they played in Sacramento. He's has a career 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio and its not like he's dishing out 6+ assists per game (3.4). His ball handling is suspect as he still tends to dribble it off his foot when no one is guarding him. Monta's a nice young player, but being quick and athletic in the NBA doesn't warrant a huge contract. He's not in the same realm as Chris Paul or Deron Williams talentwise, who will both get max contracts when they're due. He's a Mo Williams type player at best. If Miami wants him that bad, then the Warriors should sign and trade him along with another player for Shawn Marion.

Wow, I can't believe you are comparing Monta Ellis to Mo Williams! That's just bs!

Monta is one of the quickest players in the nba, if not the quickest, and can finish off either foot with ease. It's his quickness that makes him so dangerous b/c he also has the ability to stop on a dime and sink a jump shot.

Yes, his one on one defense is pretty bad but due to his quickness he has the ability to set his feet and draw a lot of charges. Which almost makes up for his poor one on one defense.

In february of last season he shot over 60% from the field while averaging 26 pts, 5 ast, and 5 rebounds. Are those Mo Williams numbers?? I think not. Also, last season he got a lot better at driving to the hoop and dishing it off to an open shooter, A LOT better.

If Monta could add a 3 point shot to his game he would be unstoppable. Plus keep in mind his is only 22.

WillisLovechild
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
oh yeah, this thread is dumb. monta is not overrated at all. although he may not play as well in another type of offense, he does really well in nellie's system and thats all the warriors are playing right now. he deserves a raise, which he'll definitely get.

lincecum=future
07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
He is 22 years old...He is only going to get better. He still has plenty of time to develop into a PG. And even if he doesn't he will still put up some big numbers.

AMC31
07-03-2008, 04:41 PM

wow that sentence makes a lot of sense.

:laugh:

BullySixChicago
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Negotiations are resuming with Ellis' camp and I don't want to see the Warriors pay more than they should. Ellis is reported to want more than $10M a year which is actually quite ridiculous. If there is another 6'3 shooting guard that has very little point guard skills like Ellis, that has become a star in the league, then I can't think of one. Monta is a horrid defender with the inability to guard his position. Kevin Martin, at 6'7, shouldn't blow by Ellis whenever he wanted but he did when they played in Sacramento. He's has a career 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio and its not like he's dishing out 6+ assists per game (3.4). His ball handling is suspect as he still tends to dribble it off his foot when no one is guarding him. Monta's a nice young player, but being quick and athletic in the NBA doesn't warrant a huge contract. He's not in the same realm as Chris Paul or Deron Williams talentwise, who will both get max contracts when they're due. He's a Mo Williams type player at best. If Miami wants him that bad, then the Warriors should sign and trade him along with another player for Shawn Marion.you talk about Monta defense please tell me who plays defense in golden state. 10 mil a year hmmm I say if some cluck wants to give it you would really nail his booty to the wall if he did what Ben Gordon and Deng did turning down 10 mil plus now he and gordon are the same type of player. As for kmartin please he blows by Monta and Monta returns the same

sacgiants1213
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Monta's stats are inflated thanks to nellie ball. He has the fast break game down, but that's it.

daleja424
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I cannot believe that a 22 year old guard averaging 20 points, 5 assists a game is being called overrated... really???

lincecum=future
07-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Monta's stats are inflated thanks to nellie ball. He has the fast break game down, but that's it.

People who say this have obviously not seen Monta play on a daily basis. He can create his own shot and is relentless in driving to the basket and getting easy points in the paint.

daleja424
07-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I cannot believe that a 22 year old guard averaging 20 points, 5 assists a game is being called overrated... really???

...this thread is silly...

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
He is still very young and has time to improve for sure. He always has offseasons to work on ball-handling and defense.

obrpunk
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Monta Ellis is probably one of those guys who just flourish's in this type of offense. He is quick, and has an almost automatic outside jumper. However, we haven't seen him play in any other offense, so this is just an assumption. Although, I still think a deal around 5 yrs/60 mil makes sense.

He has a good mid-range shot, but he needs to add the three. i do agree that it's the system that makes him shine.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-03-2008, 05:29 PM

You're over rated for even thinking about this

Ragun
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I dont think he is underrated or overrated. He is underrated for a few things but is also overrated for a few things...

thedfactor
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Take it easy on the young gun. He is developing into a real star sooner than later.

mattmvp22
07-03-2008, 05:43 PM
ur crazy

Afridi786
07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
His numbers will go down next year, things are much easier when u dont have to play defense and Baron Davis is next to you in the backcourt.

Afridi786
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
you talk about Monta defense please tell me who plays defense in golden state. 10 mil a year hmmm I say if some cluck wants to give it you would really nail his booty to the wall if he did what Ben Gordon and Deng did turning down 10 mil plus now he and gordon are the same type of player. As for kmartin please he blows by Monta and Monta returns the same

He shud, he is a quick little midget.

sanfranfan1210
07-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I dont think he is overrated

vince wilfort
07-03-2008, 10:32 PM
He's not overrated. The average fan hardly even talks about him. He may eventually be considered overpaid maybe, but right now it's too early to tell.

GodIsLove
07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
21 years old 20 ppg 53% from the floor. Only other guard that exceeds both those #'s is Kevin Martin and he wasnt fighting for shots with Baron and SJax who both shot 42% from the floor. Maybe Im crazy but i see a lot of Dwyane Wade in him and wouldnt be opposed to him getting a Max Deal.

ajharry
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Monta's gonna be a top 5 scorer for years in this league....but maybe not until he's 25

BADizzleBoY
07-03-2008, 10:56 PM
His numbers will go down next year, things are much easier when u dont have to play defense and Baron Davis is next to you in the backcourt.

I forgot that you were psychic :rolleyes:

MGB
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM

*cough* Ben Gordon *cough*

Around 20ppg, 6'3" SG w/ little to no PG skills, and can't really defend his position (although slightly better than Monta), and he wants in the neighborhood of $10M to boot...

I think Monta is a little better though, b/c he has more ability to get to the rim. You watch BG in college and he played similar to Monta now, but once he got to the NBA, BG forgot how to get to the rim. I think around $10M sounds about right for Monta, while $8M or so is about what I'd like to see BG get.

BlondeBomber41
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I agree with the sentiment of the thread maker. He is a very talented scorer and can put points up in a hurry, but so can Leandro Barbosa. In fact, he is basically the same player as Barbosa, but with way more hype.

For some reason people think Monta Ellis is just gonna be amazing. I just dont see it. He will be a good scorer but he isnt very good at anything else.

That being said, around 10 million a year is not overpaying for a player of Monta's caliber these days in the NBA.

BADizzleBoY
07-03-2008, 11:00 PM
*cough* Ben Gordon *cough*

Around 20ppg, 6'3" SG w/ little to no PG skills, and can't really defend his position (although slightly better than Monta), and he wants in the neighborhood of $10M...

I think Monta is a little better though, b/c he has more ability to get to the rim. You watch BG in college and he played similar to Monta now, but once he got to the NBA, BG forgot how to get to the rim.

There is a flu going around.