PDA

View Full Version : Matt Devlin is replacing Chuck?

Bob_at_york
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Matt Devlin probably gets announced as the new Raptor TV play-by-play guy today.

Donít know much about him, actually. But heís worked in Charlotte and around the league for quite some time.

Its from Doug's blog.

Wiki doesn't give us much except it is impressive that he has worked on TNT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Devlin_(sportscaster)

Here is an article from when the 'cats hired him: http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/devlin_announcement_060704.html

I tried for 5 minutes to find some of his work on youtube but I found nothing.

Ragun
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Sweet...

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Its from Doug's blog.

Wiki doesn't give us much except it is impressive that he has worked on TNT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Devlin_(sportscaster)

Here is an article from when the 'cats hired him: http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/devlin_announcement_060704.html

I tried for 5 minutes to find some of his work on youtube but I found nothing.

I have heard this guy before, I found him to be alright but a little drawn out. Hmm I really wish we had tried harder to find a bigger name, MLSE certainly has the money to offer, would of liked someone different but hey you make do.

Bob_at_york
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I have heard this guy before, I found him to be alright but a little drawn out. Hmm I really wish we had tried harder to find a bigger name, MLSE certainly has the money to offer, would of liked someone different but hey you make do.

I don't know the guy so whatever I say here can't be considering trashing him, but I would have liked a bigger name too. I heard the Sonics guy was available and Doug said the guy was good. I also would have liked to see us take a run at Paul Jones's brother. I think that the family connection might have made it work. But in the end, while MLSE seems to be spending millions on no-name hockey players like some guy named "Finger", they do not want to spend too much in the basketball department. Whether it is going a little bit over the tax or possibly in this move (for all we know Devlin might get paid well and this had nothing to do with money).

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
found this earlier..

Devlin came to the Bobcats from the Memphis Grizzlies at the team's inception three years ago. He did some national broadcasting this season, with TNT on NBA playoff games and Fox on the NFL.

Though Im kind of dissapointed at his track record, the bobcats didnt offer him a new contract so he was released, when the bobcats do that, how good can you be? haha

Here is another pic of him and some info.

http://ballhype.com/story/matt_devlin_to_be_the_next_voice_of_the_raptors/

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't know the guy so whatever I say here can't be considering trashing him, but I would have liked a bigger name too. I heard the Sonics guy was available and Doug said the guy was good. I also would have liked to see us take a run at Paul Jones's brother. I think that the family connection might have made it work. But in the end, while MLSE seems to be spending millions on no-name hockey players like some guy named "Finger", they do not want to spend too much in the basketball department. Whether it is going a little bit over the tax or possibly in this move (for all we know Devlin might get paid well and this had nothing to do with money).

Your right though, I just would of liked going after a guy at espn or tnt. There just seemed like a lot of options other than a former grizz and bobcats broadcaster. haha nice job bringing up the finger reference, man looks like MLSE gave toronto fans once again the finger by giving us the bobcat broadcaster.. But I will have to see more of him i guess, but I find it a little disconcerning when I cant find anything about him when i google him other than that the bobcats didnt give him a new conrtact. This is from the metro news.

Canada’s only NBA club has selected another American as its new play-by-play voice for national television, sources told Metro yesterday.

Matt Devlin, who spent this decade serving three-year stints as the voice of the Memphis Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats, has been hired by the Toronto Raptors to succeed Chuck Swirsky, according to the sources.

The sources also said they expect the Raptors to announce the hiring of Devlin within seven to 10 days.

Swirsky was a U.S. citizen when he was hired by the Raps 10 years ago, although he obtained his Canadian citizenship last winter. Swirsky recently switched NBA allegiances and will be the Chicago Bulls’ voice next season.

At least four Canadians were competing against Devlin for the Raps’ job, the sources suggested.

Mike Inglis, a Torontonian who was the club’s first play-by-play voice, had expressed a desire to return after a decade as the Miami Heat’s voice. Adnan Virk, an anchor for The Score and occasional basketball reporter for the Canadian network, also was a candidate, as were Canadian brothers Paul and Mark Jones. Paul has been the Raps’ radio voice while Mark covers various sports, including basketball, for ESPN.

Devlin’s background includes play-by-play work with TNT and Fox.

Canadian hemi
07-03-2008, 11:04 AM
hmmm...I"ll wait to pass my judgment

Bob_at_york
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Mark Jones was interested in the job? Unless he was trying to force the TV guys to replace Leo and Jack with Paul, I think I would have put Mark as my #1.

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Mark Jones was interested in the job? Unless he was trying to force the TV guys to replace Leo and Jack with Paul, I think I would have put Mark as my #1.

yeah would of been an interesting fit. I dont wont paul jones in the booth though. Never liked him as a play by play guy.

The Wise 1
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
As long as he's passionate about the Raps and is knowledgeable I wont have a problem. He's no Chuck though :)

Master P
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I am kind of nervous about how much hair he has...can we trust a none bald man to call the raptors? what are jack and leo going to make fun of? maybe he can get fat or something...

pebloemer
07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62498538@N00/2413153215/sizes/o/

This is a chart of NBA knowledge and objectivity for announcers. Unfortunately I could not find Devlin on here. Blah

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62498538@N00/2413153215/sizes/o/

This is a chart of NBA knowledge and objectivity for announcers. Unfortunately I could not find Devlin on here. Blah

where did you find that? nice find..

pebloemer
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
where did you find that? nice find..

I remember it posted in the general NBA forums a while back. I scrolled through the archives and couldn't find it. So i just googled nba announcer comparisons or something like that and it came up. I was hoping to find Devlin's name in there, but I couldn't. Anyone know where Devlin may project on that graph??

Mile High Champ
07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I remember it posted in the general NBA forums a while back. I scrolled through the archives and couldn't find it. So i just googled nba announcer comparisons or something like that and it came up. I was hoping to find Devlin's name in there, but I couldn't. Anyone know where Devlin may project on that graph??

I would say somewhere near the middle. He knows his stuff but I find him a bit off. We will have to wait and see.
Im thinking of calling the swirsky show today and ask him about him and see what he thinks.

pebloemer
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I would say somewhere near the middle. He knows his stuff but I find him a bit off. We will have to wait and see.
Im thinking of calling the swirsky show today and ask him about him and see what he thinks.

Let me know if you get through and what Chuck says.

I'd expect Chuck would says great things about him because it is Chuck's way, but maybe there would be some objective feedback.

ramz.n
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
i've heard him before..hes not bad but hes no Swirsk...well atleast hes better than a guy like Jamie CAmpbell for the Jays..if he had someone like that i would quit watching.

Dragan
07-03-2008, 05:48 PM
i hope he is not one of those a-typical american play by play anouncers who will over extend their voices and put all to sleep.

But one thing is for shure, there is no way that he can ever fill the shoose of the Swarsk. But i still hope that he will be a good Play by Play guys. If now we can allways fire his ars, and bring in Mcalif, and Virk

JermanJaysFan
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
The Raptors should have just set up some satellite feed so that Chuck could call the games from Chicago :sigh:.

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
He has some big shoes to fill. This just makes the season even more exciting. New team, hopefully new jerseys, and now new play-by-play announcer.

WaterBoy24
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't know nothing about him,but if his no good..I'll just mute my tv,it's enough I have 2 listen 2 Leo...is it just me,isn't Leo predictable the guy makes shot,it's a good shot,if he misses,he shouldn't taken the shot,anyway...
but yeah the guy from Seatle Sonics play-by-play is available,he be perfect...has amazing voice..just killer voice,I wish we can get the guy from Sacramento....another great play by play announcer ...

ramz.n
07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
i like leo...i like how he trash talks Nesterovic and how Canada is going to beat Rasho's team..lol hilarious

kwesro
07-03-2008, 11:42 PM
This is the dude doing a game, he sounds cool.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fkFPXBQtcfs

Bob_at_york
07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
This is the dude doing a game, he sounds cool.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fkFPXBQtcfs

thanks man. His voice is alright but I am curious how and if he gets excited.

Mile High Champ
07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
new jerseys? any ideas what they look like, Why are they changing them again... damn!!