PDA

View Full Version : Should the Rockets trade for Artest?

managainstboys
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
I think so.

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 12:45 AM
It looks like lots of teams are making moves. Its time for the rockets to make a move, besides Barry. I think we need to give up battier for more scoring and the same defense.

Rhyming Rebel
07-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Yea I think so too. Players that come to mind are

Artest
S.Jackson
J.R. smith (S&T) he is a resticted FA

Brun"DMC"
07-03-2008, 01:13 AM
If the Rockets plan on making it deep into the playoffs in the western conference, they need to acquire Artest.

houstonrockets1
07-03-2008, 01:36 AM
yeh if we get barry i think it would be worth it to trade battier, head, brooks/jackson (just cause they can write his contract off the books next season) and a pick for Artest.

but i do believe that Morey is cooking something up in that head of his that will help this team.

OUfan4life15
07-03-2008, 03:03 AM
If we can keep Battier, then I say yes, if not then I'm not sure. Battier would be awesome for our bench, and defense, plus it gives another guy to give Tmac more minutes off. Imagine being able to let Tmac run the point late in games with Artest and Battier on the floor, then we wouldn't be weak defensively at the pg position.

Does anybody remember what the kings wanted for Artest before? I know it was Brooks for sure, but what else? If I recall correctly it was Scola, so yeah wasn't going to happen. If we could manage to keep our starting 5 and Landry, and still pull off a trade for Artest then I would love that. I don't think anything is going to happen though, if Houston gets that third star it's going to be during the season if they don't believe they're chances are good.

Obviously right now, and how they played last year, they have to believe they've got a real shot at doing something in the playoffs if their healthy, so I think their going to be hesitant to pull any huge moves this early. Unless of course they get a freebie for someone like the Lakers got Gasol.

mightybosstone
07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
While there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Geoff Petrie intends to trade Ron Artest as soon as possible given Ron-Ron's recent outburst and dissatisfaction with his contract situation, don't expect anything to happen before the July 9th signing date. Petrie won't make a move until Beno Udrih formally rejoins the Kings. But that doesn't mean he hasn't compiled a trade wish-list or begun entertaining offers. The same teams that were intererested in Artest before he committed to the final year (and $7.4 million) of his contract continue to find him appealing, especially in light of his expiring contract. The Lakers, Miami Heat, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, among others, will be exchanging phone calls with in the near future. Sacramento Beehoopshype.com

bball1217
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
good to hear that they will try to trade him because i think the kings have a lot of interest in brooks

{}
07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
...more appropriate title: Should the Rockets give Artest a max contract? I'd say no. We have comparable defense with Battier. Artest at best represents an additional 3-6pts a game, which isn't going to catapult the Rockets from the 1st round to a championship.

Look no further than the crazy offers being thrown around now for Davis, Arenas and other borderline superstars. Is it wise to sacrifice the players it would take to get Artest when he'd be lost to the highest bidder next offseason? IMO, fair value for Artest is around 7-9m per season, but there will be teams out there offering max, or near max deals. The Rockets would be better off keeping Battier and finding a cheaper alternative for that marginal increase in scoring.

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree with T-Mac, Battier and Artest would be great but thats kind of a dream. I dont know for sure but I think Sac wanted Brooks and Battier not Brooks and Scola.

Russjr2
07-03-2008, 03:10 PM
...more appropriate title: Should the Rockets give Artest a max contract? I'd say no. We have comparable defense with Battier. Artest at best represents an additional 3-6pts a game, which isn't going to catapult the Rockets from the 1st round to a championship.

Look no further than the crazy offers being thrown around now for Davis, Arenas and other borderline superstars. Is it wise to sacrifice the players it would take to get Artest when he'd be lost to the highest bidder next offseason? IMO, fair value for Artest is around 7-9m per season, but there will be teams out there offering max, or near max deals. The Rockets would be better off keeping Battier and finding a cheaper alternative for that marginal increase in scoring.

EXACTLY. So many people on here want to offer up ALL of our young talent to get this guy. When it would make a lot more sense to trade our expiring deals and/or extra draft picks to find a young player to add offense off our bench. Cause that is all we really need on this team. (and health without saying)

yaowowrocket11
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
:nod:

JordansBulls
07-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Most definitely. If they got him they would have their 3rd option and scorer and I think they have a much better chance to win it all.

mightybosstone
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM

We're not just talking about 6 points here... we're talking about a legitimate third scoring option... a guy whose a threat to score 30 points in any given game and a guy who can make any defense pay outside of a simple static jump shot. Lets not forget his nasty, competitive edge... which this team really needs. I love Battier, but when T-Mac and Yao are either injured or are having bad games, Battier isn't going to make a huge difference offensively. Artest can. I really think he would make all the difference on this team and I don't think we'd necessarily have to give him a max contract.

Look at what Baron Davis got.... 5 years, 65 million. Or Antawn Jamison... 4 years, 50 million. Those are huge contracts, but at least reasonable, and I think Artest is on par with those players and is worthy of a similar contract. We give them Battier and Brooks and we work to sign him to a bigger contract for 2010, when Jackson's contract will come off the books.

OUfan4life15
07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, hopefully Morey can work his magic and pull it off without giving up Battier. I'd say throw Brooks, Jackson, and Francis at them, Brooks plus two expiring contracts...but then that depletes are backup pgs. What about Bob Sura? I heard he's still under contract, when does his expire, maybe we can pull a Keith Van Horn like the mavs did last year.

mightybosstone
07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, hopefully Morey can work his magic and pull it off without giving up Battier. I'd say throw Brooks, Jackson, and Francis at them, Brooks plus two expiring contracts...but then that depletes are backup pgs. What about Bob Sura? I heard he's still under contract, when does his expire, maybe we can pull a Keith Van Horn like the mavs did last year.

Why would the Kings want three point guards? Especially considering they're about to sign Beno Udrih? And Bob Sura isn't even under contract anymore and hasn't been for a while. Any deal for Artest will likely HAVE to include Battier. Think about it... if we trade for Artest, then what the hell do we need Battier for?

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Why would the Kings want three point guards? Especially considering they're about to sign Beno Udrih? And Bob Sura isn't even under contract anymore and hasn't been for a while. Any deal for Artest will likely HAVE to include Battier. Think about it... if we trade for Artest, then what the hell do we need Battier for?

I understand what you're saying but look at it this way...Artest is a good defender that can score and with battier backing him up at the three, it stops the other teams best scorer from getting into any kind of streak.

It'll be like Utah and how they did the rockets. They had AK47 on T-Mac then we he gets tired, they put Ron Brewer on him. Even though T-Mac had good games, he get reall tired and have nothing left in the fourth quarter.

mightybosstone
07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I understand what you're saying but look at it this way...Artest is a good defender that can score and with battier backing him up at the three, it stops the other teams best scorer from getting into any kind of streak.

It'll be like Utah and how they did the rockets. They had AK47 on T-Mac then we he gets tired, they put Ron Brewer on him. Even though T-Mac had good games, he get reall tired and have nothing left in the fourth quarter.

Let me put it this way... in the incredibly unlikely event that we DID find a way to trade for Artest, there's no way in hell that trade doesn't include Shane Battier.

OUfan4life15
07-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, I don't see it happening unless theres some kind of guarantee that Artest will resign with the Rockets, because it would be stupid to give up Battier and whatever else if Artest leaves after one year and we don't do anything. Theres no guarantee Artest will get us to the championship, even if we got out of the first round would that be enough for Artest to want to stay? I doubt it, plus he's a guy with questionable character that could destroy the locker room, it's too much of a gamble if you ask me, considering Battier has been solid since he's been here.

This team won't need a third star if Tmac and Yao are healthy, Scola can create on his own, Rafer can create on his own, and maybe Greene will be able to as well. All they need is a healthy team, and they'll be fine. Battier knocked down plenty of open 3s, sure that's about all he does offensively, but that's all we need him to do. I think Scola and Rafer will work just fine as the third and 4th options, so long as Yao and Tmac stay healthy. We've yet to see what this current team can do in the playoffs with both those guys in the lineup.

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Let me put it this way... in the incredibly unlikely event that we DID find a way to trade for Artest, there's no way in hell that trade doesn't include Shane Battier.

Okay...but I was just saying that it would still work with both of them at the three but okay i agree with you. SAME PAGE!

pippsux
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Absolfreakinglutely. He is crazy and tough and we need more fire on this team. Tmac is too laid back, Yao is laid back, the coach is laid back, WE NEED FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCOLA has it, Francis used to have it.

DontNOMuch
07-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree we need fire, but don't let the fire burn yourself...:D

grega1976
07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
yeh if we get barry i think it would be worth it to trade battier, head, brooks/jackson (just cause they can write his contract off the books next season) and a pick for Artest.

but i do believe that Morey is cooking something up in that head of his that will help this team.

We don't need to give up that much, Artests salary is less than 8mil.. Battier and Brooks equals Artests salary..

I honestly don't think Artest is the answer.. I may be wrong, but he is kinda a ball stopper.. Infact his short stint in Adelmans system was quite possibly the worst of his career.. he had his worse shooting season, both fg and 3pt%, one of his lowest PPG.. he was really mediocre.. I think if we're going to make a trade for a player I would much rather have Gerald Wallace, and try and sign Posey.

Chronz
07-04-2008, 03:53 AM
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...ng-artest.html

Dealing Artest?
By Elliott Teaford on July 3, 2008 8:19 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) |

The Lakers, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Miami Heat are expected to be among the teams interested in obtaining Ron Artest from the Sacramento Kings once the NBA's dead period ends July 9. Kings general manager Geoff Petrie figures to receive plenty of calls about Artest and his expiring $7.4 millon contract, according to the Sacramento Bee newspaper. No reason to think Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak won't call, too.

HouRealCoach
07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Brooks, Jackson, Greene, and Hayes+2nd Rounder for Artest and Singletary

Sign Horry & Barry

Yao/ Mutombo/ Dorsey
Scola/ Landry/ Horry
Artest/ Battier/ Novak
Mcgrady/ Barry/ Head
Alston/ Francis/ Singletary

TMAC94
07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
^^ id like that but i would want too keep greene maybe involve battier instead.

jdillion
07-07-2008, 12:42 AM
to be honest with you i would be a lot happier if the rockets could sign james posey or a player like that who tmac or yao can pass the ball to in crunch time. we need players like him players who are winners im done talking bout losers like artest an maggette who we wont get anyway i want winners tas all we need, some one who in crunchh time can slap tmac in the bac of his head an tell him to get focus, not some players who are just gonna stand there an watch him get nervous an *** up

FOBolous
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
if we can...by all means...do it. It'll make our team better overall and he'll make our team a little more interesting with his eccentricity :p

TMAC94
07-07-2008, 05:19 AM
i reckon the best thing we can do is sign maggette too MLE which is a 90% not happening or trade for artest and use the MLE on posey, but then i dont know what we would do for Landry.

notthatcute69
07-07-2008, 05:36 AM
...i think it is great to acquire Artest but it would be great if Battier is still in the line-up....

Driven
07-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Sign Horry & Barry

Yao/ Mutombo/ Dorsey
Scola/ Landry/ Horry
Artest/ Battier/ Novak
Mcgrady/ Barry/ Head
yeah, okay. :rolleyes: Give me one reason for Sacramento to take that deal. And where are you going to get the money for Barry and Landry? Come on now. This is getting ridiculous.

McBui6997
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
From My Opinion I wouldnt take Artest
i know hes can be a great addition
but he may cause lots of troubles
for example
he may start fights and get suspended
now do u want a person to play?
or be useless?

Jay22Redd
07-10-2008, 06:00 AM

Sign Horry & Barry

Yao/ Mutombo/ Dorsey
Scola/ Landry/ Horry
Artest/ Battier/ Novak
Mcgrady/ Barry/ Head

No way I give up Greene in this deal

Renovator
07-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Ive managed to keep myself quiet on this topic for long enough. But I cant anymore. Why do guys want Artest?

He is the biggest ball hog in the NBA (at least Kobe is effective when he hogs the ball). The Kings did better when he wasnt playing. He doesnt make anyone around him better, cause its all about him, me me me. His team mates dont even bother trying to get open when he has the ball in his hands, cause they know passing is his absolute last option.

If you guys think TMAC slows our game down by holding the ball too much, what about this guy? He is 10 times worse then TMAC. Sure he can score 20points and defend like glue, but his 20 points sacrifice 40 points for his team mates.

And what about his latest whinging and b!tch!ng. First he doesnt opt out now he wishes he could change his mind. It always about him, he does not give a rats ***** about his team. This is another incident and there will be plenty more to come.

HE WOULD BE THE WORSE THING THAT COULD HAPPEN FOR TEAM.

If TMAC and YAO get injured at the same time that would be a disaster right? Well I would still consider having Artest on our team a bigger disaster. There can be no greater disaster than Artest.