PDA

View Full Version : are you kidding?

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
did they really just play sweet caroline at the end of the game? tampa seems to forget their place in this league. last time i checked they don't give rings to teams in first place in the beginning of july...

and by the way i am going off right now because i was at the first game of this series in tampa and if i didn't know better and knew nothing about baseball...you would think tampa has won more world series than the sox. let alone be in first place for a couple of weeks.
tampa fans (bandwagon jumpers that weren't at the games earlier this season) are very cocky right now.

brandonwarne52
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
The Twins play it sometimes during their 'fan sing-a-long inning'.

It makes me sick.

KmB728
07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Ya i did hear them sweet caroline in the end

i rlly just hope they fall apart, and remember who they are

Tragedy
07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
i rlly just hope they fall apart, and remember who they are
A great team? :shrug:

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
A great team? :shrug:

no...a team that has finished last place in the East 5 out of the last 6 years and have had not even a full season of success!! that's what bugs me. these new tampa fans think their team is the next world series champs but we are at the allstar break!

celebrate like you won a world series when you can play a whole season of first place ball. not just 3 months of good baseball.

KmB728
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Lol Tragedy, your right... im in denial right now

-Lavigne43-
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
It's fine for them to be excited since their franchise has sucked for its entire existence but playing that song was pretty classless. I do think the Rays are going to hit a slump soon. Just watching them all their players were acting like this was the world series. They will have a low

gcoll
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
It does get annoying when a team is acting like a series at the end of June/beginning of July, is the World Series.

I'm hoping for a second half collapse.

And people are acting like 3.5 games, on July 2....is some kind of gigantic lead..wtf?

ehhh...let them have their moment in the sun, we still got a lot of baseball left to play.

Sabres39
07-02-2008, 11:32 PM
did they really just play sweet caroline at the end of the game? tampa seems to forget their place in this league. last time i checked they don't give rings to teams in first place in the beginning of july...

and by the way i am going off right now because i was at the first game of this series in tampa and if i didn't know better and knew nothing about baseball...you would think tampa has won more world series than the sox. let alone be in first place for a couple of weeks.
tampa fans (bandwagon jumpers that weren't at the games earlier this season) are very cocky right now.
...and rightfully so. They are in first place in a division in which either the Sox or Yankees have won for the past 10 years. They are the best team in baseball right now, they reserve the right to be as cocky as they want.

Plus, they did just sweep the defending champs, which will only give them more confidence when they come and play the Yankees.:(

no...a team that has finished last place in the East 5 out of the last 6 years and have had not even a full season of success!! that's what bugs me. these new tampa fans think their team is the next world series champs but we are at the allstar break!
Yeah, but this team is different. This team can pitch and play defense, that is the key to success. I don't think you will see this team dying any time soon, they are for real.

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
It is funny too by the way that the catchphrase running around the stadium the first game of the series was..."This is the biggest series in Tampa Bay history"...

me and my other friend at the game got a good laugh out of this when a Ray fan walked past us ranting on how this is the biggest 3 games of their franchise.

gcoll
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
they reserve the right to be as cocky as they want.
That's okay. But, it gets annoying. It's July 2nd. I know the Rays are new to this, but still.

If they were playing Sweet Caroline at the end of the game, to mock the Red Sox, and their fans.....that's pretty classless.

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:42 PM
That's okay. But, it gets annoying. It's July 2nd. I know the Rays are new to this, but still.

If they were playing Sweet Caroline at the end of the game, to mock the Red Sox, and their fans.....that's pretty classless.

Trust me it was the goal for the fans and the club to mock the Sox. Everytime the rays made an out or scored a run in the game...they would all point to a Sox fan and get in their face. There was nothing classy about Tampa this series.

Tragedy
07-02-2008, 11:42 PM

celebrate like you won a world series when you can play a whole season of first place ball. not just 3 months of good baseball.
You're not serious, right?

If this team just swept the Rays, we'd be going INSANE over here. They have every right to be going insane down there. They're in first place, they're one of the best teams in all of baseball right now, and they just swept not only the Red Sox, but the defending Champions. They deserve a pat on the back for playing like winners this season.

I don't see those players running their mouths saying they've won anything, so who really cares?

-Lavigne43-
07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Again I would like to bring up the fact that we also swept them twice this year at Fenway.

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Also, I made a sign that got on fox news in tampa when i went to the first game of this series...i got a lot of laughs from tampa fans at least.

I had 3 pics on it...the first picture being coco hitting crisp. Above it..it said lesson one: how to land a punch.

the next pic was shields punch missing crisp. next to that it said...lesson 2: how to dodge a punch.

the last pic was of gomes hitting crisp on the ground. next to that it said...lesson 3: how to punch like a girl.

me and my friend got next to the bullpen and held the sign up infront of shields while he was warming him. it got a lot of laughs out of everyone.

ryder004
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
u guys can talk all u want about the last couple of years but the fact is rays are emerging into a very good team with a lot of young talent and under a good manager. this is the year people gota start showing respect for us and realize we arent the same team anymore.

asomen
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM

If this team just swept the Rays, we'd be going INSANE over here. They have every right to be going insane down there. They're in first place, they're one of the best teams in all of baseball right now, and they just swept not only the Red Sox, but the defending Champions. They deserve a pat on the back for playing like winners this season.

I don't see those players running their mouths saying they've won anything, so who really cares?

we swept them twice at fenway already....noone made a big deal about it. probably helps that the crisp fight put down the victories lol

-Lavigne43-
07-02-2008, 11:48 PM

The problem is a lot of us find it insulting for them to play that song after sweeping us.

Tragedy
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
we swept them twice at fenway already....noone made a big deal about it. probably helps that the crisp fight put down the victories lol
Now we're in July. We're starting to get to the point where we're constantly checking the standings and seeing what the Yankees are doing on a daily basis.

It's now to the point where it gets VERY interesting, and VERY exciting.

The problem is a lot of us find it insulting for them to play that song after sweeping us.
I'm just about certain that I've heard Sweet Caroline played at the Trop after a Rays win before, though.

gcoll
07-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I think you have to acknowledge that the attitude of the Rays towards the Sox, is different than the attitude of the Sox towards the Rays.

So of course their fans will react differently to sweeping us, than we will them.

Biggest series ever for the Rays? I don't know. That may be a bit of hyperbole. They've been winning all year. They didn't need this to validate them. Especially the way both teams came into this series.

Petertherock
07-03-2008, 01:11 AM

Kind of like how cocky the Red Sox fans have been even before 2004?

quiksilver2491
07-03-2008, 01:23 AM
u guys can talk all u want about the last couple of years but the fact is rays are emerging into a very good team with a lot of young talent and under a good manager. this is the year people gota start showing respect for us and realize we arent the same team anymore.

Ok thats fine, but if Tampa wants some respect maybe they shouldn't act like classless pricks. No doubt they are good, no one ever doubted that, they have been hot lately and swept the defending champs so they have every right to be excited, just do it in a more mature manner. If they want to call themselves AL East Champs in the beggining of July then so be it, but we still have a ton of baseball to play.

gcoll
07-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Kind of like how cocky the Red Sox fans have been even before 2004?

Perhaps.

Superiority
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
they will falter like the Brewers last year and the Tigers in 2005...before the playoffs

Tragedy
07-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Ok thats fine, but if Tampa wants some respect maybe they shouldn't act like classless pricks. No doubt they are good, no one ever doubted that, they have been hot lately and swept the defending champs so they have every right to be excited, just do it in a more mature manner. If they want to call themselves AL East Champs in the beggining of July then so be it, but we still have a ton of baseball to play.
When did the Rays act classless, exactly? I've seen nothing to support this.

quiksilver2491
07-03-2008, 02:13 AM

They have been in multiple altercations this year, including Johhny Ghomes and others taking cheap shots at Coco, and I don't even like Coco and he's a punk so I would have really no reason to be biased. They then have the nerve to turn on sweet caroline at the end of the game, say what you want to try to defend it but everyone knows that its a Sox trademark and has been for a while now.

gcoll
07-03-2008, 02:38 AM

If they played Sweet Caroline to mock the Sox...that'd be a little on the classless side. But, you said they played it before for their wins...so that may be moot.

I think some Sox fans may be taken aback a bit, by the level of excitement over the sweep...and may possibly be taking that as offensive, but I don't see it as that big of a deal.

I was more offended by the TB announcers calling Garza a young Smoltz, and implying that Longoria is one of the best defensive third basemen of all time, specifically referencing Brooks Robinson, along with a few others while saying "He [Longoria] doesn't take a back seat to any of 'em"

sboyajian
07-03-2008, 07:41 AM
A lot of teams played Sweet Caroline .. not just the Sox.. it's just umcommon for anyone else to do so anymore because since the 2004 season and the release of Fever Pitch, it's kinda become "Boston's Song"..

The Cubs (I believe) just had a fan vote to find a new song.. however many teams do still play it.

Davey24
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Hell, I once heard "Tessie" beind played at another ballpark besides Fenway. Of course other teams use songs that are typically associated with a team or a player. Sweet Caroline is a classic and lots of teams use that one. As many people mentioned, the Rays have used that song after many wins. It wasn't to mock the Sox. And about the fans being cocky, give them a break. They haven't ever had ANYTHING to cheer for and now their team is finally giving them some hope. Red Spx fans can certainly relate to this.

RedSoxtober
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
^^^ A Davey sighting! It must be time for another Sox-Yankees rematch. :p

Davey24
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Haha oh yes it is!! I'm doing marketing for a hotel in NYC right now and I was told that this is where the Sox stay when they play the Yanks. I'm pretty sure they are upstairs right now on one of the VIP floors. If they all come down with salmonella, it wasn't me... :)

moneyball
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Let them have some fun. If the Sox can not overtake them in the second half, which I am confident will happen. They can celebrate all they want. They are new to baseball and new to winning.

robuc
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
you cant blame the Rays players for playing Sweet Caroline they didnt play the song, the guys in the booth did. and who cares if theyre celebrating Rays are a young team and winning for the first time. let them have some fun. I mean we're talking a sweep over the defending champs in July , thats pretty big for the Rays and we the fans.

RSF1977
07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
A lot of teams played Sweet Caroline .. not just the Sox.. it's just umcommon for anyone else to do so anymore because since the 2004 season and the release of Fever Pitch, it's kinda become "Boston's Song"..

The Cubs (I believe) just had a fan vote to find a new song.. however many teams do still play it.

Thank you for saying that.
Guys the sox don't own the song and it is a relatively new for them to play it.
As for the Rays playing it while "Sweep Caroline" was on the jumbotron it was
intentional. IMO it is all in good fun not classless. If anything it makes it more of a rivalry which is cool with me.:D
The Rays are still a YOUNG team and young teams that are good for the first time typically hit a low and fade away. Maybe they won't. I picked them to be above .500 this year and be a pain in the Butt and be a real threat NEXT year. Ladies and gentlemen the Rays have arrived early.

Being a sox fan since 86 I think it is GREAT that the Rays fans have something to cheer for. It sucks watching your team suck year after freaking year, I swear I don't miss the heartburn that used to go along with my sox watching. Personally I hate Sweet Caroline anyway :p

PapelbonLester
07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
rays are the yankees this year if you havent noticed. they hit crisp and are always picking fights.... pedrioa..exc. i dont respect the sweep caroline at all. They never play that song so to mock us after the sweep was just flat out disrespect. but i guarentee next series will be great. if i was a sox pitcher i know i'd be throwing inside.

Wake's Fastball
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
rays are the yankees this year if you havent noticed. they hit crisp and are always picking fights.... pedrioa..exc. i dont respect the sweep caroline at all. They never play that song so to mock us after the sweep was just flat out disrespect. but i guarentee next series will be great. if i was a sox pitcher i know i'd be throwing inside.

The Rays and Sox have had bad blood between them for as long as I can remember. It's amplified this year because the Rays are actually relevant.