PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard and his RBI's...

AirJordanXVIII
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
After Howard's 3 run homer today, he has 71 RBI's for the season which would lead the NL....

Yet the guy is hitting .219

So my question is, has anybody lead the league in RBI's with a really low average (lets say .235 below)....??

The A Team
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
No, they talked about it during the game tonight. The lowest average for a guy who leads the league in rbi was .243 set by Harmon Killebrew.

Nyyyccceee
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Ryan has 71 RBIs...and 70 Hits.

Knowledge
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
the crazy thing is he hits like .330 with runners on, with nobody on base he hits like .190-.200

redwhitenblue
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Reasons batting average and RBI's are overrated for 100, Alex

ShinobiNYC
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Kinda like Thome, Giambi,...etc. Those guys walk a lot but can't get many hits(wich explains the low BA) because of the shift or just because they are usually swinging for the fences.

Tragedy
07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Ryan has 71 RBIs...and 70 Hits.
:laugh:

Such a strange hitter Howard is.

natepro
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll take his low AVG if you don't want it.

I'll take Dunn off Cincy's hands, too.

koldjerky
07-03-2008, 02:16 AM
:laugh:

Such a strange hitter Howard is.

Thanks, Yoda.

The A Team
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I'll take his low AVG if you don't want it.

I'll take Dunn off Cincy's hands, too.

Ervin Santana, Kotchman, Willits, and maybe a guy like Jordan Walden work for you? We'll toss in Geoff Jenkins and a loogy spec like Fabio Castro or Matt Smith...

Joking aside, our clubs should talk in the offseason. Now's the time to cash in on Howard while he still has some respect around the league.

ThisIsTheYear
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Almost 1/3 of his hits are homers.

BriereIsDaBest
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Howard is doing great for us, taking out the first part of the year. Why would you want to trade him right now, A Team? :confused:

The Schmooze
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I bet Dave Kingman did.....

The A Team
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Howard is doing great for us, taking out the first part of the year. Why would you want to trade him right now, A Team? :confused:

I hate watching guys strikeout every other at bat and boot routine plays in the field. And for the record I was 75% kidding. Still if the Halos offered us the package I mentioned I might consider it. I would like to see Howard dealt in the offseason. In the Phils forum we've been talking about Howard + for Kershaw, Loney, and Ethier/Kemp. That's obviously an irresistible deal. It might just be fantasy now, but the Dodgers and Angels are both teams that could use the power hitting upgrade and have the pieces to send back our way to make us happy.

I also disagree about Howard doing great for us. Anytime somebody hits below .220 and strikes out more than 40% of the time you have to set a ceiling of "mediocre". If he was playing great he'd have around 90 rbi right now.

FriarFanatic
07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
howard is monster but it is ridiculous how bad of a batting average he has and how many times he strikes out yet still produces big time

porterpotty8
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
What I dont understand is how the guy bats .317 two years ago and now look at him? I guess pitchers learned about what he CANT hit.

SellThePhillies
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Howard probably wouldn't have more RBIs, even if his average was higher.

Look at his splits, might be the most bizarre spilts I've ever seen.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=6097

With the BASES EMPTY

BA- .155 (25 for 161), 61 K, 11 HR 11 RBI
OBP- .232
SLG- .373

With RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION

BA- .330 (33 for 100), 33 K, 6 HR 49 RBI
OBP- .449
SLG.- 590 (1.039 OPS)

Overall with RUNNERS ON

BA- .284 (44 for 155), 54 K, 9 HR 57 RBI
OBP- .387
SLG- .548 (.935 OPS)

There's obviously a tremendous difference when he bats with guys on base. He goes from being completely awful to an all star. You really can't ask for much more from him with guys on base. He changes his approach in those situations and produces. It seems that maybe his isn't concentrating with the bases empty and not having quality ABs.

fightins89
07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
What I dont understand is how the guy bats .317 two years ago and now look at him? I guess pitchers learned about what he CANT hit.

There really isn't much he can't hit. When he had that ridiculous MVP season, he was hitting a lot of balls the opposite way and there was pretty much nowhere you could put the ball where Howard wouldn't drive it. He still has the ability to take those outside pitches to LF, but he's turning over on them a lot more often this season. He's also struggled with discipline and is chasing so many sliders and high fastballs that he used to take. I really think it's a mental problem right now. I think he can have a stronger second half (and though he'll still probably break the strikeout record) he can raise his BA .30 to around .250, which would be acceptable to go along with the run production, imo.

Keep in mind, he has driven in all those runs with Rollins either injured or under performing. Those two guys are very close and if the offense is a fire, Rollins is the spark. If that guy gets going (which I expect him to do in the second half), then I think Howard will do the same.

I don't think we need to worry about trading him yet. In a year or two we will have to look into it, but not right now.

The A Team
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Howard's swing is much slower now than during his MVP and rookie seasons. He's developed a hitch which causes his once fast swing to be almost slow and lazy-like.

One answer to why Howard hits better with guys on base has to do with who is on base. Guys like Rollins, Victorino, and to a lesser extent Utley mean that Howard is going to get more fastballs. With guys in scoring position, pitchers will look to avoid the bouncing breaking ball that kicks Howard's ***.

AirJordanXVIII
07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
What kills HOward is that he chases every damn low and away slider.

Knicks845
07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Yeah, thats a good question, I'm not sure, but i know David Ortiz was doing pretty good before he got injured, well lots of rbi's, and low Adverge.

Phann
07-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Howard is a great player he just needs to get his swing back. He can't be chasing things out of the zone. He just has to go for what is right. If that happens his batting average will go up.

H-MYK
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Are people voting Howard for the All-Star game with his RBI's in mind? There was this one thread a few weeks ago that talked about RBIs if they're important to the player/team, so I thought I ask.

FriarFanatic
07-03-2008, 08:36 PM
if howard had some kinda pitch selection he would be a complete FREAK instead of just a FREAK

AirJordanXVIII
07-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Perfect example today.....

1-4 against the Braves..

1 homerun, 1 RBI. Easy like that. I love my Howard :D Although he gets really frustrating at times.

FriarFanatic
07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
he hit a jack without guys on base today!!!

fightins89
07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
What kills HOward is that he chases every damn low and away slider.

I don't understand why pitchers don't just give him three sliders. Thank god Lidge plays for us.

Are people voting Howard for the All-Star game with his RBI's in mind? There was this one thread a few weeks ago that talked about RBIs if they're important to the player/team, so I thought I ask.

I think there are much better candidates out there at first base than Howard. Gonzalez and Pujols come to mind right away, I'm sure there are others. RBIs are very important, but Howard's OBP isn't good at all and imo runs scored are just as important as RBIs. I'm not sure about Howard's runs scored numbers, but they probably aren't very good compared to guys like Pujols and Gonzalez.

Juggynuts
07-04-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't understand why pitchers don't just give him three sliders. Thank god Lidge plays for us.

I think there are much better candidates out there at first base than Howard. Gonzalez and Pujols come to mind right away, I'm sure there are others. RBIs are very important, but Howard's OBP isn't good at all and imo runs scored are just as important as RBIs. I'm not sure about Howard's runs scored numbers, but they probably aren't very good compared to guys like Pujols and Gonzalez.

Howard - 53 runs
Gonzalez - 51 runs
Pujols - 48 runs

fightins89
07-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Howard - 53 runs
Gonzalez - 51 runs
Pujols - 48 runs

I stand corrected. Howard has more homers than both of them, Pujols has missed time and Gonzalez has a ****ty lineup surrounding him. Even with those things, though, I didn't think it would be this close.

I still believe they deserve to be at the ASG more than Howard, with Berkman being the obvious starter.

Maine's the man
07-04-2008, 04:46 AM
I hate watching guys strikeout every other at bat and boot routine plays in the field. And for the record I was 75% kidding. Still if the Halos offered us the package I mentioned I might consider it. I would like to see Howard dealt in the offseason. In the Phils forum we've been talking about Howard + for Kershaw, Loney, and Ethier/Kemp. That's obviously an irresistible deal. It might just be fantasy now, but the Dodgers and Angels are both teams that could use the power hitting upgrade and have the pieces to send back our way to make us happy.

I also disagree about Howard doing great for us. Anytime somebody hits below .220 and strikes out more than 40% of the time you have to set a ceiling of "mediocre". If he was playing great he'd have around 90 rbi right now.

to start this post... this proposed deal is absolutely absurd and would go down as one of the worst trades of all time if LA pulled the trigger on that... anyone of those players you could argue are more valuable than Howard.

Moving on....

When howard first came up everyone threw him fastballs, they tried to challenge him throughout his first year... I was shocked to see it. He can only hit a fastball, simple as that.

The reason the phillies should trade him is because apparently he has a huge ego. Howard has said on numerous occations that he expects a deal much larger than Miguel Cabrera's. 200+ Mil is the line he has explained to the press. The phillies will never pay him that much money so a trade is inevitable. As that is coming up in a few years that number of teams that would trade for him in the present is getting smaller every day.

The A Team
07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
anyone of those players you could argue are more valuable than Howard.

Of course you could argue that, but you would be wrong. In any case, we're talking about that as the type of offer that would be needed for us to trade him this offseason. The general consensus is that he should on the market, but if you want the best homerun hitter in baseball you're going to have to pay a little premium.

By the way, awhile back I looked at some advanced split stats on Howard's MVP season. Against fastballs Howard hit about .340 with around 20 of his homers. Against offspeed he hit something like .280 with the remainder of his homeruns (about 38). I don't remember the exact numbers, but those are in the right ballpark. The problem is if you look at his swing it has gotten longer and slower. He backed off the plate for whatever reason (either cause he doesn't like inside pitches or because he's a ***** and doesn't want to get hit as often as Chase) and he no longer has the bat speed to just drop the bathead on the outside curveball like he used to. Now he has to reach for it, making his swing longer and giving the pitch more time to break past his bat.

JHG722
07-04-2008, 01:06 PM
I'll take offers for Howard. Go:

AirJordanXVIII
07-06-2008, 10:04 AM
After three run homerun yesterday, this guy is 2nd in the leage in homeruns and RBI's with, 23 and 76 respectively.

Tragedy
07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
After three run homerun yesterday, this guy is 2nd in the leage in homeruns and RBI's with, 23 and 76 respectively.
Now if he can raise his BA about 600 points, he might have a shot at the Triple Crown!:rolleyes:

if howard had some kinda pitch selection he would be a complete FREAK instead of just a FREAK
Very, very true. You can deal with the K's, as long as it's not effecting many of your stats (Like A-Rod and many of the superstars that reach 100 + strikeouts). With Ryan Howard, though, it just is ugly.

FriarFanatic
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
another jack again last night

The Schmooze
07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
sadly I feel he's becoming Adam Dunn...but with more RBIs

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 12:45 PM
throw him in the derby his average cant get much worse than it is

Liney3506
07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
sadly I feel he's becoming Adam Dunn...but with more RBIs

He just hasn't adjusted his swing, while pitchers have adjusted to him. It's that simple.

Thankfully, his BA with RISP has risen every year, to something ridiculous this year.

The A Team
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Now if he can raise his BA about 600 points, he might have a shot at the Triple Crown!:rolleyes:

Very, very true. You can deal with the K's, as long as it's not effecting many of your stats (Like A-Rod and many of the superstars that reach 100 + strikeouts). With Ryan Howard, though, it just is ugly.

I could handle 100+ k's, I could even handle 150 k's, but this guy can put up a solid 200 k's every year if he plays the full season. He is looking very Dunn-like but I expect more out of him.