PDA

View Full Version : DeSagana Diop Headed Back to the Dallas Mavericks

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3471169

Free-agent center DeSagana Diop on Tuesday gave a verbal commitment to sign a new contract to return to Dallas Mavericks, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Diop, traded by the Mavericks to New Jersey in February as part of the Jason Kidd deal, will receive the Mavericks' full mid-level exception in a five-year deal starting at nearly $6 million.

Diop cannot officially sign and the Mavericks cannot officially comment until July 9, which is the first day NBA teams can announce signings and trades after a league-wide moratorium on roster moves is lifted.

Diop was a key member of the Dallas team that toppled its in-state rivals from San Antonio and reached the 2006 NBA Finals. It was the franchise's first trip beyond the Western Conference finals.

Iodine
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Good D to bring off the bench

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Dallas gets that defensive presence that they have needed back in the middle.

With that in mind, does this put the Mavs back in the mix of things? Do they still need another piece to be that true contender again?

I would actually start Diop at Center now. It is clear the Mavs need a defensive force in the starting lineup now.

Afridi786
07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Y r they overpaying him, he's not worth 6 mil per year.

Corey
07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I expected him to re-sign with them.

He could start on a good amount of teams because of his defensive prowess. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a starting role, or a large increase of minutes this time around.

Iodine
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Dallas gets that defensive presence that they have needed back in the middle.

With that in mind, does this put the Mavs back in the mix of things? Do they still need another piece to be that true contender again?

I would actually start Diop at Center now. It is clear the Mavs need a defensive force in the starting lineup now.

He helps but I don't think there contenders as long as CP3 dwill and TP will rape them in the playoff's.

LakerDeftones
07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
running back home, he should have signed with another team, i dont see dallas going anywhere anytime soon

i guess it was the money

vince wilfort
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM

It's a really weak free agent class for centers. But at least he's an inside presence unlike a certain superstar on their team.

Ragun
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Why did he get so much money?

superkegger
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
So Dallas gets one of the pieces of the kidd trade back. The Kidd trade is begining to look a lot more like a salary dump in light of the recent move of unloading jefferson.

Interesting.

BALLER71
07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I wanted him on the Heat :(

Oh, well I expected him to sign with Dallas.

Chronz
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Its Mark Cuban

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Not that many big men on the free agent market and this is what Dallas needs. Besides he already knows the system.

#1Mavericksfan
07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
He helps but I don't think there contenders as long as CP3 dwill and TP will rape them in the playoff's.

Wow are you serious?....when was the last time Tony Parker "raped" us in the Playoffs or in the Season?...because the last time I checked Tony Parker said he was happy when Diop and Devin Harris was traded because both of those guys own Tony Parker and as far as Chris Paul goes he's gonna get his soon just like when Devin Harris came out to nowhere and shut Tony Parker down and Chirs Paul is next mark my words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM2PNWURzw

As far as the Lakers fans go they can't say anthing about Jason Kidd or the Mavericks as many Jason Kidd threads I saw in the Lakers Forum.

Iodine
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Wow are you serious?....when was the last time Tony Parker "raped" us in the Playoffs or in the Season?...because the last time I checked Tony Parker said he was happy when Diop and Devin Harris was traded because both of those guys own Tony Parker and as far as Chris Paul goes he's gonna get his soon get like Devin Harris came out to nowhere and shut Tony Parker down and Chirs Paul is next mark my words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwM2PNWURzw

As far as the Lakers fans go they can't say anthing about Jason Kidd or the Mavericks as many Jason Kidd threads I saw in the Lakers Forum.
I know they wont rape them with Harris but with kidd they will

tonyd3b54
07-02-2008, 07:38 PM
ok signing... kinda wish the celts got him... but thats wayyy too much money

Chronz
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Not that many big men on the free agent market and this is what Dallas needs. Besides he already knows the system.

He isnt going back to the same system, from what I hear Carlisle will play more uptempo

BADizzleBoY
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I love this guy.

FromDallas
07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
ok signing... kinda wish the celts got him... but thats wayyy too much money

The guy I wish the Mavs could have got is Kendrick Perkins but he's under contract for the next couple of years.

It was a much needed signing however it doesn't solve all the needs. The Mavs still need a solid backup PG. They also still need a true PG that can score. Gerald Green MIGHT be that guy however there is no guarentee of that. Maggette would be perfect for that spot however that's only going to happen in a sign & trade. I don't see that happening.

As for the Mavs getting raped by the West's young PG's ... Harris always did a great job on Parker but Harris isn't here anymore and Parker could run circles around Kidd. On the good side Kidd does a much better job on bigger PG's like Williams, and Baron Davis. So as long as the Mavs don't have to play the Spurs or Hornets in the playoffs they have a good shot.

Spurred1
07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
They did pay too much, but that is what sometimes happens with supply and demand. The Mavs needed a center, Diop was available-but other teams were reportedly interested in signing him as well. So I guess the Mavs felt they had to pay him that much in order to ensure he would come back. At least he's not getting an overly obscene amount like Dampier.

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Hell Diop doesnt blow you away really with any of his skills but hes solid on the defensive end and wont be a liability on offense. 6 millions now adays in the NBA seems like a bargain

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM

My thinking exactly.