PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going to Lead the Clippers in Scoring?

hockeypro68
07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say AL THORNTON! I just really think he's going to blossom this season..maybe not leading-scorer status, but hey, I can see him putting up 15-20 ppg easily.

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Brand leads with 25+, Baron scores 20

Chronz
07-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I think you overrate Thornton's scoring ability

BigT901
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I say
22 ppg 9 assist for davis

24 ppg 10 rebs for Brand

13 ppg 4 assist for Eric Gordon

18 ppg 6 rebs for Thornton

15 ppg 13 rebs for Kaman

hockeypro68
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I think you overrate Thornton's scoring ability

He averaged about 13 points coming off the bench for more than half the season, getting only 27 minutes per game. Put him in as a starter and give him 30+ minutes, I gauruntee at least 15 ppg.

Cracka2HI!
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
For a sleeper I would say Gordon. I can see him averaging 20 ppg. However assuming he re-signs I'll take Brand at 23-25 ppg. I am not all positive he will be back tho.

krazyclipperfan
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
^^I think Brand wants to win, if that the case where is the best place for him to do that it would be here. Brand said if the Clippers brought in player to help him win he would come back and take a pay cut. I think Brand of all people is a man of his word so I think he will be back. The Clippers could have payed him a large salary that no one would match but we would have been pretty much the same team that why they made the move to bring in Davis.

Who will lead in scoring it hard to say at this point but I will go with a long shot and say Thornton or Gordon. Reason why Davis wouldn't have to put up huge numbers for us to win he could be a pass first point guard and Defend he would really only score when he need to. Brand would be come a pure defensive present and wouldn't need to score as much he would want to shut players down he would need to score as much but he would still manage to get his 20. Kaman would also become a pure defensive player blocking shots and pulling rebounds and scoring put backs. Thornton does every thing he shoots fights for extra postions and can score in bunches. Gordon is a pure scorer wouldn't be suprised if he didn't average over 20 for the season and can defend and get extra postions.

Chronz
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
He averaged about 13 points coming off the bench for more than half the season, getting only 27 minutes per game. Put him in as a starter and give him 30+ minutes, I gauruntee at least 15 ppg.

He averaged 16.8PTS per36, with an extremely high usage rate but hes not efficient at all. I dont doubt he can create shots in bundles but with the team adding more effective scorers I look for him to see less shots or else risk being a cancer. If he can be more efficient with his possessions he can offset the loss in touches and still raise his scoring rate but again thats a long way from leading the team in scoring, and if you think he can your overrating his scoring ability.

krazyclipperfan
07-03-2008, 02:20 AM
^^One thing about Thornton he get extra postions on the offensive end and he is a good enough defend to cause turn over and gets steals he wil score more point then last year.

Chronz
07-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Yea Thorpe had this to say about his Rookie season, "He exhibited his athleticism and skills once the Clippers unleashed him. But it was his effort that saved him from himself; without solid rebounding numbers, his season would have looked like Adam Morrison's last season -- lots of inefficient scoring and few effective passes."

What Im wondering is what happened to his 3pt shot, he was a lights out shooter in college. He rarely pulled the trigger this year from 3's.

adealstimson
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Yea Thorpe had this to say about his Rookie season, "He exhibited his athleticism and skills once the Clippers unleashed him. But it was his effort that saved him from himself; without solid rebounding numbers, his season would have looked like Adam Morrison's last season -- lots of inefficient scoring and few effective passes."

What Im wondering is what happened to his 3pt shot, he was a lights out shooter in college. He rarely pulled the trigger this year from 3's.

I remember him draining 3s.. He got inconsistent playing time on a ravaged team that used 37 different starting lineups, and he still balled. 39 points - thats a sign. He will be a baller.

Chronz
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
He didnt drain many

He came on once he got consistent playing time but Ill take what he did for an entire season as evidence of his ability than one 39PT explosion. Thats a sign but so were the other inefficient chuck happy games. I dont know how good he'll be but at 24 he better improve quickly.

hockeypro68
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Thornton aside, I think there's a high possibility that Baron will lead the team in scoring. He looks primed to have a career year, here on a new team in his hometown. I expect an MVP-candidate type of year for him:: 23.5pt, 5.2reb, 9.2ast, 2.5stl, .6blk

hockeypro68
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
He averaged 16.8PTS per36, with an extremely high usage rate but hes not efficient at all. I dont doubt he can create shots in bundles but with the team adding more effective scorers I look for him to see less shots or else risk being a cancer. If he can be more efficient with his possessions he can offset the loss in touches and still raise his scoring rate but again thats a long way from leading the team in scoring, and if you think he can your overrating his scoring ability.

Remember, this was on a team without Baron Davis... an allstar caliber, 8apg player. He knows how to run the floor and find open teammates. Just thinking of him and Thornton running the floor together gets me excited. Thornton didn't have anyone last year to set him up the way Baron can. I think Baron is going to bring out the best in him.

kylem4711
09-26-2008, 01:03 AM
im gonna go ahead and say baron by far

Chronz
09-26-2008, 03:17 AM
Remember, this was on a team without Baron Davis... an allstar caliber, 8apg player. He knows how to run the floor and find open teammates. Just thinking of him and Thornton running the floor together gets me excited. Thornton didn't have anyone last year to set him up the way Baron can. I think Baron is going to bring out the best in him.

It would boost my confidence in that happening if you can name a player whos effectiveness increased that much simply from the presence of one player. Im sure there have been a few examples but I really havent taken the effort to look it up.

hockeypro68
09-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Well, it may be hard to show proof statistically, but logically speaking, Baron Davis adds not only a major scoring threat, but is clearly talented at finding his teammates, finishing with what? I'm guessing the 5th highest assists averaged in the league. I think it only makes sense to assume that to some extent, Thornton's efficiency will improve because most of his looks now are going to be via perfect set ups from B.Diddy. The whole team will run differently now with Baron Davis commanding the point.

Chronz
09-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Yea logically speaking it makes sense I never doubted it, but just how much better are we expecting Baron to make Thornton? Will he even need to because the guy still has untapped potential.

But Im not sayin to prove anything just list examples, non-statistical examples of a player going from roadkill efficiency to average. I know Antoine Walker was decent as a third option when he could play off Wade and Shaq after years of struggling on his own, but he went from a 20+ scorer to like 13 or something, most people here are expecting Thornton to accomplish both (efficiency/usage), if he can then we're in the playoffs but its a tall task to ask of him.

Tom81
09-26-2008, 06:58 AM
baron

Cracka2HI!
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Yea logically speaking it makes sense I never doubted it, but just how much better are we expecting Baron to make Thornton? Will he even need to because the guy still has untapped potential.

But Im not sayin to prove anything just list examples, non-statistical examples of a player going from roadkill efficiency to average. I know Antoine Walker was decent as a third option when he could play off Wade and Shaq after years of struggling on his own, but he went from a 20+ scorer to like 13 or something, most people here are expecting Thornton to accomplish both (efficiency/usage), if he can then we're in the playoffs but its a tall task to ask of him.

I was a little skeptical about Thornton after you posted those effeciency stats for him. I'm starting to gain confidence in him again. He really was good last season from what I saw. To be honest those stats just seem wrong from Thornton. Made him look like a chucker who dribbles the ball of his foot out of bounds every 3 or 4 possesions. I'm going to go with eyes here instead of stats and think he could possibly score around 20 and be very efficent doing so. One thing is for sure...he will have A LOT more easy shots this season.

krazyclipperfan
09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
^^i agree Thornton will have a big year last year he had to work with what we had. this year will be much better for him.

ClipperNation14
09-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't see any other play capable of averaging 20 PPG or so, so the logical choice at this point is Mr. B

krazyclipperfan
09-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Thornton can be a 20 point scorer he will get alot of touches and he get extra shots for himself by his rebounding.

Chronz
09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I was a little skeptical about Thornton after you posted those effeciency stats for him. I'm starting to gain confidence in him again. He really was good last season from what I saw. To be honest those stats just seem wrong from Thornton. Made him look like a chucker who dribbles the ball of his foot out of bounds every 3 or 4 possesions. I'm going to go with eyes here instead of stats and think he could possibly score around 20 and be very efficent doing so. One thing is for sure...he will have A LOT more easy shots this season.

Rookie season with inconsistent playing time can leave plenty of room for improvement in my eyes so Im with you on this one.

don'tfireNedCo
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
one thing that separates basketball from baseball is that basketball is a contact sport, and much more one-on-one and in your face D, so confidence is everything, which can alter the stats greatly especially with short season thus less sample size.

I think It will take a full year as a starter to really measure where he is currently.

kylem4711
09-27-2008, 08:50 PM
thornton is still a player that thrives on confidence and being in rhythm. i hope he has worked on his jump shot. one he gets that he will be a scaaary player.

don'tfireNedCo
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
maybe gordon will lead the team in scoring in 3 years.

_Sn1P3r_
09-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I think Baron.