PDA

View Full Version : Cross off Maggette from your list

B2B
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs’ desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring.

With so much sudden salary cap space, the Warriors could be a threat to swoop in and take Maggette for themselves. The Boston Celtics have also shown serious interest in Maggette.

Maggette, 28, opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, along with Brand. He had hopes of returning to the Orlando Magic, but the Spurs, who have an interest in Denver restricted free agent J.R. Smith and Detroit free agent Jarvis Hayes, made an aggressive push in the last 24 hours to sell Maggette on playing an important part in restoring them to a championship team.

“He’s going to take a lot of the offensive load off (Manu) Ginobili, but (Spurs coach Gregg) Popovich will have to hide him defensively on the floor,” a Western Conference scout said Tuesday night.

Maggette can sign on July 9, once the NBA’s moratorium on free agents is lifted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar6koHOIv8MQft2JGqkcjHk5nYcB?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

AgentViet
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Never had him on my list in the first place.

Ragun
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Im surprised he isnt getting offered more money annually.

LittleBosh
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I find it ridiculous that Maggette should opt out of his contract only to sign for MLE. This is not to say that he deserves a max deal, but something along the lines of $10M a year wouldn't be totally out of whack. Just how desperate did he suddenly get to win the championship now in his late 20-s? :eyebrow:

Bob_at_york
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I find it ridiculous that Maggette should opt out of his contract only to sign for MLE. This is not to say that he deserves a max deal, but something along the lines of $10M a year wouldn't be totally out of whack. Just how desperate did he suddenly get to win the championship now in his late 20-s? :eyebrow:

that is what I am thinking. Also if the clips get baron then I think he should stay in LA. That would be a sick team.

ramz.n
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
all i know is we still have our MLE which is around 5-6m and i still think its possible for the Raptors to get Maggette..Brand and Davis took less money because they thought they could win together..look in hockey..Marian signed a 1 year deal worth 7.4m to win a championship...maybe we could sign Magette for 1 year with our MLE and see if we can go asll the way..Apparently the spurs are the front runners but they are an old group who seem to be on the decline...raptors would be a good situation

carruthers32
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
all i know is we still have our MLE which is around 5-6m and i still think its possible for the Raptors to get Maggette..Brand and Davis took less money because they thought they could win together..look in hockey..Marian signed a 1 year deal worth 7.4m to win a championship...maybe we could sign Magette for 1 year with our MLE and see if we can go asll the way..Apparently the spurs are the front runners but they are an old group who seem to be on the decline...raptors would be a good situation

maybe less money in Boston, but definatley not the Raptors.

Halladay
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't understand why alot of players are opting out or even considered it. Do their agents not look at the market and realize there's probably 3 teams(maybe 4) that can actually spend considerable money this offseason? It just doesn's make alot of sense.

The Claw
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
The clips are retaining Brand and we all know already they just committed a large chunk of their salary cap to baron so I dont think Magette will be retained. I think he is going to the Spurs IMO.

Diop has also verbally committed to sign w/ the Mavs (see ESPN.com/nba)

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't understand why alot of players are opting out or even considered it. Do their agents not look at the market and realize there's probably 3 teams(maybe 4) that can actually spend considerable money this offseason? It just doesn's make alot of sense.

Any number of reasons, such as:

a) Pay raise from their current team
b) Change of scenery/contention of team at a potential pay cut (ex. Maggette to San Antonio)

or a combination of the above:

c) A sign-and-trade deal that both gets them a pay raise and a move to an over-the-cap contender

dirtybird
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think Maggette ought to sign a 1yr deal for the MLE and try his luck again next season.

Fion
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Not alot of teams have the cap room to offer him, haha he will be the best player in the league whos not on a rookie contract earning that sorta money.

ramz.n
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
I think Maggette ought to sign a 1yr deal for the MLE and try his luck again next season.

thats what im saying..but he has so many teams gunning for him..just be nice to see him in a T.O jersey and help boost those chances =P..but realistically..don't think its possible or even going to happen

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
that is what I am thinking. Also if the clips get baron then I think he should stay in LA. That would be a sick team.

I agree. Then you have Gordon coming off the bench.

JayzTO
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Maggette is only able to sign for the MLE because no team that wants him has cap space Toronto wont give him the MLE because they will be over the tax threshold

But wouldnt it be nice to see MLSE to go ahead and spend some money they would make that money back anyway by the Raptors going further in the playoffs as welll as selling more merchandise

ramz.n
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
do you guys know if the raptors make it into the playoffs and makes it past the first round ..does the profit go towards the team for these situation to help pay for the taxes? or does it all go to MLSE