PDA

View Full Version : Why havent we made any changes?

STAT1
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I know we have a good team, but so does a lot of the Western Conference. We basically have the same team as last year minus scrubs, add rookies. I hear other teams like the spurs, and celtics offered corey maggette a contract, clippers got Baron, warriors are attempting to get arenas, lakers have bynum coming back, jazz are trying to sign turiaf, blah blah blah. Yet we are going for people that aren't going to make a difference on our team.

king4day
07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
What I get, from all the articles I'm reading, is the the following:

1. We have very little money to spend
2. We will not use much if any of the midlevel exception
3. We will not use the trade exception from KT's deal
4. We are waiting for the scraps (Free Agents who haven't found a deal in a month or so).

It sounds like we're just gonna bank on the new system Porter gives us as well as our youth, and a Free Agent who no one else wants.

We're not a team that FA's wanna go to anymore. Kerr knows that we can't pull what we did to get Hill here last year, anymore. If Maggette can go to Boston for good money AND a chance to win? Why not?

Here's my free agent prediction for the Suns.

1. Sean Marks
2. Tyronne Lue

I feel ur pain...

cabrera_logic
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I hate this offseason so far...

whamo
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I hate this offseason so far...

I agree!! There was so much talk and speculation (alot of which came from us) that never came to fruition. I so wanted something big to happen...trade Barbosa, Diaw, etc. for someone that would put us over the top. I thought that there were alot of possibilities out there, but I guess not. One thing's for sure though, we better do something....if your'e not moving forward, your'e moving behind, and I think that will be totally true if we don't do something................and soon!!!

king4day
07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I agree!! There was so much talk and speculation (alot of which came from us) that never came to fruition. I so wanted something big to happen...trade Barbosa, Diaw, etc. for someone that would put us over the top. I thought that there were alot of possibilities out there, but I guess not. One thing's for sure though, we better do something....if your'e not moving forward, your'e moving behind, and I think that will be totally true if we don't do something................and soon!!!

Actually most came from legit sources. Just that nothing came to fruition.

QUestion is, do we want to make moves to make the fans happy (IE: Vince Carter), or do we make sacrafices and build our youth rapidly.

nashty13
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM

QUestion is, do we want to make moves to make the fans happy (IE: Vince Carter), or do we make sacrafices and build our youth rapidly.

Vince Carter would make you happy? I dunno about that man, unless he came at 25 cents on the dollar.
I dont mind the sit back and wait technique. Obviously, going into this offseason, we knew were unable to make a big splash. The first 2 or 3 "tiers" of free agents are completely unavailable to us. But if we sit back and wait, players such as Matt Barnes, Mikhael Pietrus, Quinton Ross, James Jones, Tyron Lue, etc might fall into out laps for a cheaper price than if we jumped at them right now. It happens every year (like with both Barnes and Pietrus last off season) and players will be able to be had for cheaper than they deserve, particularly now with the almost every team being cap strapped.
It doesnt seem like we're interested in dealing any of our core 7 players, so, suns fans, be patient!

STAT1
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Vince Carter would make you happy? I dunno about that man, unless he came at 25 cents on the dollar.
I dont mind the sit back and wait technique. Obviously, going into this offseason, we knew were unable to make a big splash. The first 2 or 3 "tiers" of free agents are completely unavailable to us. But if we sit back and wait, players such as Matt Barnes, Mikhael Pietrus, Quinton Ross, James Jones, Tyron Lue, etc might fall into out laps for a cheaper price than if we jumped at them right now. It happens every year (like with both Barnes and Pietrus last off season) and players will be able to be had for cheaper than they deserve, particularly now with the almost every team being cap strapped.
It doesnt seem like we're interested in dealing any of our core 7 players, so, suns fans, be patient!

besides hill and shaq those "core" players have been here for years, still no championship. Nash, shaq, raja, and hill have peaked and arent going to get any better. amare, barbosa, and diaw still have room to improve.just hasnt really worked, usually when somethin doesnt work u make adjustments.i guess we still have dantonis lineup and theories still.

FreedomReigns
07-03-2008, 02:45 AM
The scariest thing is that we still have most of those core players under contract for this season and next. If you think their old this year wait till 2009/10 and were still in the same boat.

Things will probably become stagnant for the next 2 seasons before we see a good infusion of solid talent added. The key here for Suns fans is patience and understanding. It's easy to crucify Kerr and Sarver for their lack of action and im guilty of it too. Im still scratching my head on the trade for Shaq. I kind of see their intentions but then I wonder to myself, "why take the gamble". Either Kerr is a genuis and has us all fooled or the Suns have some rough years ahead.

I forsee mediocrity for the Next 4 or 5 years with two first round exits. One this year and then again in 2009/10. Sorry in advance for my gloomy outlook.

rocky4104
07-03-2008, 03:44 AM
nash, bell, boris, shaq, amare - still pretty solid guys, the main thing is for amare and boris to work together - if one shines the other disappears - oh how i wish that they play better together next year. Despite what we all say, diaw's potential (looking at the last 2 games in the SA-Suns series) is still pretty big - the way he guarded parker and his isolation plays (he will kill most PF starters) he's our best isolation option, Shaq and amare still commands attentionesp from inside. This makes nash and bell to man the perimeter. and for defense? bench players like strawberry, hill and lopez will provide that if need be (playing alongside some of the starters)

bench: hill, barbosa, tucker, strawberry, lopez, and depends on the FA in the offseason, still better than most teams esp if you look at hill and barbosa, they can be starters for quite a number of teams

king4day
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM

Sweet Jesus no.
But I'm saying impatient fans that was another quick fix now, want any type of change that could potentially rival moves that other teams are making.

whamo
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Aren't there some options that are kind of in the middle of that road? I guess that it ultimately depends on how much the Suns are willing to spend. I understand that they are pretty strapped for money, but it would be nice if they would really push for a trade with somebody for Barbosa or Diaw. I know...they probably have tried and weren't getting enough in return, and so on...and so on....and so on. I agree that I don't want to just get rid of players in a stupid manner that doesn't improve this team, but to just stand idle while other teams that did better then us in the playoffs last year make moves to improve their teams even more, it drives me crazy!!!!! Maybe it all plays out in the end like we all hope, or maybe it all ends up much the same as it was this last year: good regular season with an early exit in the playoffs. It would just be nice to have a positive sign to make me get excited for the NEAR FUTURE!!!!

nashty13
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
The scariest thing is that we still have most of those core players under contract for this season and next. If you think their old this year wait till 2009/10 and were still in the same boat.

Things will probably become stagnant for the next 2 seasons before we see a good infusion of solid talent added. The key here for Suns fans is patience and understanding. It's easy to crucify Kerr and Sarver for their lack of action and im guilty of it too. Im still scratching my head on the trade for Shaq. I kind of see their intentions but then I wonder to myself, "why take the gamble". Either Kerr is a genuis and has us all fooled or the Suns have some rough years ahead.

I forsee mediocrity for the Next 4 or 5 years with two first round exits. One this year and then again in 2009/10. Sorry in advance for my gloomy outlook.

I've been saying that since the trade took place. We got really old over night. I wanted Emaka Okafor. Sure he wouldn't have "commanded" the double teams every once and awhile but we still would have been able to slide Amare to the 4 and he would have played much better D. Oh well.

If you saw the video of Kerr getting really excited over Dragic, our second round pick who may not be able to even help this squad, it was a little disheartening. Particularly when they showed David Griffen who just seems like Kerr's little idiot lackey.

I agree that, unless we had started rebuilding this offseason (trading anyone but Amare) we will have some rough years of mediocrity ahead of us. Unless Bell miraculously bounces back, LB learns to change gears, Diaw and Amare can coexist, Tucker can develop his athleticism to be similar (but not as good) as Marion, and shaq finds the mythical fountain of youth (and no its no located at that club in NY) and Terry Porter has a great system that everyone buys into, we could be all right. Those are a lot of things that need to happen and I just don't really see it happening.

Sillysoft
07-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I think because there are to many what if's the Suns are deciding to stick it out and see what they got. Remember the Dantoni era consisted of using the same players over and over again. The Suns dont know what they have in Tucker or Strawberry, how will the Suns play when they have more rest then in the previous years? They actually picked up players in the draft and not used them as trade bait to save money so its all very interesting to see where the Suns go from here.

I do agree though the Suns need a wing defender and a solid backup PG. Get someone who you can count on to make defensive stops and a PG who you can at least substain a lead when Nash goes to the bench.

STAT32
07-03-2008, 03:39 PM
The reason we haven't made any changes are simple:

1) We have little to no cash

2) Management still believes in Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw.