PDA

View Full Version : Warriors offer Elton Brand a contract

Go Dodgers!
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
According to a league source, the Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million.
The Warriors can now offer Brand more money than the Clippers can, but we'd be surprised if Brand goes anywhere. Part of the reason that Baron Davis left the Warriors was supposedly so that he could go play with Brand in L.A. It would be surprising to see Brand go to Golden State, but anything is possible considering they can pay him close to $20 million more than the Clippers.

-Rotoworld

zezak
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Lol, what a ***** move by the Warriors.

Iodine
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Stay in LA elton

x_notorious
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
It seems to me G.S is getting desperate. First Arenas then Brand? They do have the money to spend. And without Baron Davis, I really don't see them contending in the tough Western Conference. Brand will surely help that cause.

DQL
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Still no offer from Riley

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Brand isn't leaving the Clippers now.

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
We got him sewn up, Diddy and Brand were a package deal for us.

Jahari Kavi
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Brand isn't leaving the Clippers now.

you can't say that. He'll get more money in Golden State and he could still play on a very good team........

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
you can't say that. He'll get more money in Golden State and he could still play on a very good team........

The Warriors are not very good.. at all..

Go Dodgers!
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Exactly people said the same about Baron Davis you never know..

primetimekings
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
The Warriors are not very good.. at all..

alot more promising than the clippers.they can just trade for a PG with all the trading pieces they have then sign brand and be a very good team

Gilbert>TheRest
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
the warriors should just start rebuilding

yojoe792
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
They are getting desperate to make a move. Elton just really isn't a very good fit for them.

Rhyming Rebel
07-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Sorry the Team has left. NO Baron, NO Pietrus, NO Barnes and soon to be no chance

pebloemer
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
They are getting desperate to make a move. Elton just really isn't a very good fit for them.

I am not sure why we wouldn't be a good fit. Start him at PF beside Biedrins, would look nice in the front court. Then have Captain Jack and Ellis at the swing positions with harrington as the sixth man. sounds good to me.

Go Dodgers!
07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Sorry the Team has left. NO Baron, NO Pietrus, NO Barnes and soon to be no chance

Losing Peitrus and Barnes is not a huge blow for them..

x_notorious
07-02-2008, 02:41 PM

Right now, their line-up looks like:

Monta Ellis--Can he run the point? Small Guard, but usually ran at the 2 position with Baron being the floor general.
Azuibuke (sp?)
Jackson
Harrington
Beidrins

That is a very average team. If they didn't make the playoffs this year WITH Davis, imagined them next year WITHOUT Davis.

Adding a player like Elton Brand will help though. Add another scorer to the team. But that would leave either Beidrins or Harrington to the bench. Or they can go with a big line-up and add Jackson as a SG, Harrington at SF (He is an undersized PF at 6'9), Brand at PF and Beidrins at C. It would be a much better team, but I doubt they would go any where in the Western Conference. Maybe a 7-8 team at best.

bleedprple&gold
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
How can Golden St. offer more money than the Clippers? The Clippers have his Bird rights. It doesn't matter if they go over the cap...

lakersinNY
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Elton doesnt fit in their style at ALL

lincecum98
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Believe if the Warriors offer him significantly more money than the clippers he will go to the Warrriors! Most players would rather have the money than the great team.

HouRealCoach
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Elton would only be a dumbass not to play with BD, Kaman, and Thornton

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
How can Golden St. offer more money than the Clippers? The Clippers have his Bird rights. It doesn't matter if they go over the cap...

Was wondering the same thing, but maybe because the Warriors are under the cap. But I haven't checked their salary situation yet.

Edit:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/warriors.jsp

Now that Baron has opted out it seems the Warriors have about 30+ million they can spend before they reach the salary cap.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/clippers.jsp

But so do the Clippers.

:shrug:

LA_Raiders
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
He will stay. he ain't a $ digger...

*Superman*
07-02-2008, 03:14 PM
That would be funny if he went to GS, damn that would suck for Baron.

THE_FLASH_21
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Why are many of u guys saying the Warriors arn't any good??? The Clipps suck as well...... GState is already stacked... They just need one more piece.
A PG or C (IMO) Goldenstate will either get Brand or some other High level free agent!!

THE_FLASH_21
07-02-2008, 03:17 PM
That would be funny if he went to GS, damn that would suck for Baron.

some funny stuff!!!!

bleedprple&gold
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Why are many of u guys saying the Warriors arn't any good??? The Clipps suck as well...... GState is already stacked... They just need one more piece.
A PG or C (IMO) Goldenstate will either get Brand or some other High level free agent!!

I think the Clippers are better now with B-Diddy switching sides (but only if Brand stays)

THE_FLASH_21
07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the Clippers are better now with B-Diddy switching sides (but only if Brand stays)

I bet ur right... but the Clipps always seem to get hurt!!!!!!!

BlondeBomber41
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Because they gave Baron Davis the contract, they used up the cap room they had. In order to give Davis 13 million, they had to take a chance that Brand would take less per year than the 16.4 million he was owed in the final year of his contract. So now the most they can offer is 13 million a year, while the Warriors can offer a bigger deal. Its just the way the rules work in the CBA regarding this situation.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
It seems to me G.S is getting desperate. First Arenas then Brand? They do have the money to spend. And without Baron Davis, I really don't see them contending in the tough Western Conference. Brand will surely help that cause.

How is that being desperate? You're talking about top NBA players not Brent Barry.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Thanks you!!

PG:Ellis
SG:Jackson
SF:Harrington
PF:Brand
C:Biedrins

I like it!

Afridi786
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Brand is going to stay with the clippers, I'd bet on it, not every1 is all about the money...didn't his agent say, he opted out, so the clippers could make some moves to perhaps land a star pg.

TheNewbster
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Seriously people, stop daydreaming. Brand has stated through his agent that he will re-sign with the Clippers if the team got another star player. He's talked about how he saw the Boston Celtics get stars to play together. Brand and Davis are friends and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there had been an actual "under-the-table" plan for the 2 to rendevous in LA with the Clippers. Now both get to play together, get the LA market, and they pursue their love for film-making.

So Warriors fan, please, stop this travesty of your brain cells. He's not going up. If money TRULY mattered to Brand, he'd have kept his 17.6 million this year, and simply get his long term deal next year at 20+, maximizing his money earned.

ThE ShOw
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Because they gave Baron Davis the contract, they used up the cap room they had. In order to give Davis 13 million, they had to take a chance that Brand would take less per year than the 16.4 million he was owed in the final year of his contract. So now the most they can offer is 13 million a year, while the Warriors can offer a bigger deal. Its just the way the rules work in the CBA regarding this situation.

The Warriors can offer 5 years 101million so thats an average of about 20 mill a year. The Clips can offer the extra year but only 13 mill a year that comes to 78 million over 6 years. Is Brand going to leave over 23 million on the table and after 5 years he will be 33 and probabbly get a decent 2 or 3 year contract. I love the Move, Let's see if he can leave that kind of jack on the table. The LA Times is reporting GS has offered the MAX.

Cracka2HI!
07-02-2008, 04:50 PM

We had to renounce Brand's Bird Rights to sign Davis. Brand is as much of a FA to us as anyone. We don't have Maggette's rights either. As far as I know we can't offer Brand a 6th year either. I didn't know it was like this until this week.

I doubt Brand will take the Warriors offer, but it is possible. Most people would take it in a second. However I think the taking less money was Brand's idea to get Baron over here and he's not the kind of guy to go back on his word.

ThE ShOw
07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
We had to renounce Brand's Bird Rights to sign Davis. Brand is as much of a FA to us as anyone. We don't have Maggette's rights either. As far as I know we can't offer Brand a 6th year either. I didn't know it was like this until this week.

I doubt Brand will take the Warriors offer, but it is possible. Most people would take it in a second. However I think the taking less money was Brand's idea to get Baron over here and he's not the kind of guy to go back on his word.

I didnt know that, then he would be leaving 36 million on the table. That is serious cash.

Go Dodgers!
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Will Baron Davis and Elton Brand end up trading jerseys?

After losing Davis to the Clippers, the Warriors are going after L.A.'s marquee free agent. Golden State has offered Elton Brand a maximum contract — more than the Clippers have proposed, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The Warriors are smarting from the loss of Davis, who opted out of the final year of his contract and reached a verbal agreement Tuesday to sign with his hometown Clippers for five years and roughly $65 million.

The Clippers also were nearing a new deal with Brand, but the Warriors now have more salary-cap space than L.A. and can offer a five-year deal worth more than $100 million. They reportedly have made a similar offer to Wizards free-agent guard Gilbert Arenas.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8306364/Report:-Warriors-wooing-Brand-with-max-offer

Joe505
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks you!!

PG:Ellis
SG:Jackson
SF:Harrington
PF:Brand
C:Biedrins

I like it!

Jackson as a Guard? You make me laugh!

primetimekings
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
They can still sign brand and use the MLE to get a PG.and losing petruis and barnes isnt that big buike is but certainly not barnes .if u watched the warriors who won 48 games last year barnes didnt do anything petrius was hurt most of the season and buike played great.on paper the warriors are way better than the clippers.

primetimekings
07-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Jackson as a Guard? You make me laugh!

Y cus Sjax playing SG in don nelsons system who had keith van horn at center is impossible huh

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I think Brand is staying as a Clipper though. Baron might attract him to stay there.