BALLER71
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Around the Horn
Final Showdown: Daleja Vs. ATX

Rules:
250 Words max.
One response.

Question:

What Rookie from the 08 draft class will have the most impact on their team in the 2008 season?

Good Luck!

daleja424
07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
First of all, the top 4 candidates will be Beasley, Oden, Rose, and Mayo.

While MVP's are almost always the best players on the best teams, ROY's are almost always the best players on the worst teams.

Don’t believe me:
-Over the past 10 seasons only one ROY came from a .500 or better team: Amare in 2003.
-Last year Horford got his team into the playoffs but was snubbed for Durant
-In 2003 Wade and Mello got their teams in but James won anyways.

Since the Blazers, Heat, and Bulls will be .500 teams next year (and possibly playoff squads) I had to eliminate three candidates from contention. ROY’s just aren’t selected from good teams with multiple good players. They come from bad team where they become the best player on their team (ie Durant, Roy, James, Paul, etc.). While I think that Oden, Rose, and Beasley would deserve the ROY if they lead there teams to the playoffs, history has shown that it just doesn't work like that.

Well in case you haven’t figured it out yet, next years ROY will be OJ MAYO. I believe Mayo will be the ROY next year because he will be given the best chance to be "The Man" on his team from game one. He will have the ball in his hands frequently and will be allowed to showcase his talent more than the others, who will be surrounded by more talented veterans.

Word Count: 242... and it was very hard!

ATX
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
After strongly considering Oden, Beasley, Mayo, and Rose, I have chosen our very own Michael Beasley. I'm not going to give you all my reasons as to why I didn't choose others, but I'll give some reasons as to why I chose Beasley. He's just simply the most gifted and dominant player drafted. I just couldn't ignore his ridiculous college statistics...I went to every Durant home game in college, and I've seen that Beasley's even better. If Durant can win rookie of the year, I expect Beasley will as well. I don't care about all those past stats that Daleja used in coming up with his answer. They do not apply to the present situation. Beasley is coming to a team fresh off a season tied for the worst in it's history that desperatley needs him. So say the Heat do play above .500 basketball, then what does that say to voters about the impact that Beasley had on this team? Beasley loves the spotlight and his egocentric attitude will motivate him to outplay all other rookies this year. Not to mention the huge chip on his shoulder...That he should have been taken #1. This is not a homer pick, I truely believe not only that he was the best player in the draft, but also that he's out to prove it.

223 words

BALLER71
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Alright the winner will be announced tommorow.

ATX
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
ATH has been really fun, and I look forward to participating in the future. Thanks for all the thought provoking topics BALLER71, as well as scoring the responses. Good luck to you Daleja, your final topic reponse was solid, as was your competition. Your fact finding ability is impressive. BALLER71, you should definately participate in season two, and leave the scoring up to someone else.

fins08
07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
ATH has been really fun, and I look forward to participating in the future. Thanks for all the thought provoking topics BALLER71, as well as scoring the responses. Good luck to you Daleja, your final topic reponse was solid, as was your competition. Your fact finding ability is impressive. BALLER71, you should definately participate in season two, and leave the scoring up to someone else.

Sorry for posting here, but can I score season 2?

daleja424
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree Baller... you should definitely participate next year. But thanks for taking the time out to score and post topics. It was funnn! And thanks ATX for the compliment. Good luck to you too... I was definately stuck between the player I picked and the one you picked...

BALLER71
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I have tallied the votes.
And we have a winner.

And the Winner is......
it will be announced later tonight.
:D

noturnormalhero
07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
i dont mind doing the questions if baller wants to get up in it. as much as i love to respond to ish i like hearing other point of views too