PDA

View Full Version : Could Davis signing with the Clippers be the best thing that could happen for Ellis?

m26555
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I've always said that in the right situation, Monta Ellis has the potential to average 25-30 PPG and display Allen Iverson-like dominance. Now that Baron Davis is gone, he is going to be the primary point guard and also the first option. Maybe he could now reach those numbers and make the Warriors an even BETTER team than they were with Davis?

Let's face it; Golden State is still oozing with talent. Their frontcourt is loaded with potential in Andris Biedrins, Anthony Randolph, and Brandan Wright, not to mention the fact they also have Al Harrington (although there have been rumblings that he may want a trade). In the backcourt they have Stephen Jackson, Kelenna Azubuike, and Marco Belinelli.

They are a free agent signing or two away from being a playoff team.

gouldjg
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Monta definitely is on his way to being one the most dominant guards in the league with his combination of fast-break scoring, mid range jump shot, and slashing ability. However, he is not quite there to be the guy who can carry a team alone night in and night out. Some day, though, some day.

kevin98189
07-02-2008, 12:16 PM
yes it may be the very best thing that can happen to monta but he is inexperiened to lead a team to a playoff berth although he may who knows..... and yes warriors have talent but it all comes down to utilizing the talent. u can have a tons of talent but its no use if it doesent show on the court. The warriors need to play bellinelli and wright more. bellinelli tore it up in last years summer league and wright was a super during his playing time last year. I dont see the warriors as a playoff team, at least not in the off season. we'll c in the season.

hockeypro68
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
It'd still be pretty gnarly if the Warriors could land Gilbert Arenas.

WestCoastPhan
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
IMO Monta will be a better player if he stays at SG instead of transitioning to PG because he doesn't have a great passing ability and his handles in the half court set aren't as strong as a lot of PGs in the game right now. He can develop a 3 pt. shot and improve in those other areas, but i still think he's a much bigger asset at SG because he cuts to the basket quicker than anyone in the league and can just stop and take the 13 foot jumper which he never misses.

The only legit knock against him is that he can't play D against the best in the league. He's quick enough to handle anyone, but he just gets beat off screens and i think he relied a little too much on Baron to create the awkward matchups.

Even tho Baron definitely quit sometimes on D, when he squared up he locked down a lot of solid players with his size, losing him has eliminated any perimeter D that we somewhat had last year.

So yes i believe Monta will become the heart and soul of this team, but he's not gona get us to the playoffs with the squad we have right now, i think we need to take this year to develop players and give them a chance to show what they can do and then sign a big name in 2010 since obviously we dont have a problem putting up the cash on max offers.

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I think Baron made things easier for Monta.

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I dont think Ellis can average 25-30 PPG....but I definately wouldnt be surprised to see him average 20 a game next season(assuming the Warriors dont sign Arenas)

BALLER71
07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
It's hard to have Monta Ellis and build around him.
He's more of a SG, but if he played SG he would be a defensive liability.

But yes I can see him averaging 25 PPG.

THE_FLASH_21
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Monta definitely is on his way to being one the most dominant guards in the league with his combination of fast-break scoring, mid range jump shot, and slashing ability. However, he is not quite there to be the guy who can carry a team alone night in and night out. Some day, though, some day.

Couldn't agree with u more!!! Monte is a stud.. But lacks the killer instinct, the stars have... He'll get it eventually.. Remember when A.I left to Denver, and Andre Igudola was said to be a star behind a star?? And was ready to take over instantly??? well it took him some time!!! I see Monte a star in 2 to 3 years.... But big blow for Gstate... Letting Baron get away!!!

The83rdWonder
07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
The only way I could see Monta benefiting from Baron's absence is that he gets to take over the point, and increase his stock from being an undersized two to a big point guard. I guess he could also raise his PPG to the mid-20's.

rhino17
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Monta is not the player Baron is, he is nice and all but he is not a player that can carry a team to the playoffs

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Monta is not the player Baron is, he is nice and all but he is not a player that can carry a team to the playoffs

Yeah, he sure isn't. He actually doesn't get drunk the night before a pivital game.

Rhyming Rebel
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
NO, He helped turn Monte into what he is. NO Baron means trouble for every1 except Captain Jack, who probably wants out now.

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm sure Montas stats would increase. Most likely points and assist.