PDA

View Full Version : Brand to Sign $13.5-mil/year Deal with Clips

phlp_bj
07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
League sources said that Elton Brand, who also opted out of his deal Monday night, will re-sign with the Clippers for long-term deal worth about $13.5 million a year.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/01/SPCF11ICKB.DTL

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 08:48 AM
If thats true, the Clips are certainly going to be a good team next year.

Great to see guys like Brand and Baron to opt out and take less money, in hopes of winning.

North Yorker
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah the Clippers are definitely a dangerous team. Kaman, Brand, Thornton, Mobley, and B.Davis is good enough to get you into the playoffs. Plus Eric Gordon should have a big impact as well

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
I think it will help out Gordon alot more having someone like BD be able to set him up, compared to him having to try and create for himself all the time.

Chronz
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Baron will help Gordon out defensively more than anything just like Hinrich helps out his Gordon. Honestly I dont see anything special about this kid like most Clip fans do but thats just how I am with rooks. By my calculations the Clipper should win at most 50 games, but I could be overrating their bench and the progress of Thornton.

JHerms101
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Just a thought but what about a trade, Brand said that he would like to be apart of something like what boston had last season. What about Carmelo? Now before you rip my head off I know denver said they wont trade him, but the clippers have alot to offer. maybe thornton, mobley, knight, sign and trade with maggettee and first rounders in 09, 11. just a thought but I think that could be the big three of the west, and could potentially challenge for that #1 seed in the playoffs

LA_Raiders
07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Great for the Clips, Davis and Brand taking less money for a chance to win....Nice, hopefully Kobe & Odom do the same....

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Clippers have themselves a playoff squad now.... Im not saying a title is coming this season but hell in the NBA ANYTHING can happen especially if they stay healthy which is a big IF

LakeShow
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Great news for the Clippers. Looks like they have a pretty solid team:

C: Chris Kaman
PF: Elton Brand
SF: Al Thornton
SG: Cuttino Mobley
PG: Baron Davis
Bench: Brevin Knight, Eric Gordon, Tim Thomas, DeAndre Jordan, Quinton Ross

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Just a thought but what about a trade, Brand said that he would like to be apart of something like what boston had last season. What about Carmelo? Now before you rip my head off I know denver said they wont trade him, but the clippers have alot to offer. maybe thornton, mobley, knight, sign and trade with maggettee and first rounders in 09, 11. just a thought but I think that could be the big three of the west, and could potentially challenge for that #1 seed in the playoffs

mobley, thorton, knight, maggette and TWO first rounders should be enough for Melo..Imagine if they got MELO!!

B.Davis
E.Gordan
C.Anthony
E.Brand
C.Kaman

theyd have to be favorites..they got a good distributer, 2 low post presence on off and def and a Go-to scorer in the clutch in MELO..wow

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Good news for the Clippers and the Western Conference. Takes the Warriors out of contention but now it adds the Clippers.

Now you have

Lakers
Rockets
Spurs
Hornets
Jazz
Mavericks
Clippers
Suns

Blazers
Nuggets

:speechless:

Chronz
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Blazers arent ready, Mavs, Clippers and Nuggets are all on the same level

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Blazers arent ready, Mavs, Clippers and Nuggets are all on the same level

What about Phoenix and Utah?

Who do you consider the top 4 teams for next year if healthy at this point?

I would have to say: Lakers, Rockets, Spurs and Hornets

But even if all of them are the top 4 seeds with Utah being #4 and one of the big 4 with homecourt, Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, Clippers or Portland could probably beat anyone of the top 4 teams in a series.

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
i think clippers are top 5 team now....Brand i believe is being wayyyy underrated, as well as Kaman...There gunna be a BEASTLY big man combo.

Lakers
Spurs
Rockets
Hornets
Clippers
Jazz
Mavs
Blazers
Suns
Nuggets
Warriors

11 teams with playoff potential..West will be more fun next year

Iodine
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
:cry: damnit why not go to the sixers :cry:

Afridi786
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Who wants to play in Philly when they can play in LA.

AgentViet
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Wow, him and BD took pay cuts. I really saw them getting at least 16M/Year.

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM
^^^why...Brand opted out so he could take less and help the team acquire other stars to help them jolt into playoff contenders. Davis ook less, and Brand will..maybe maggette will to but i doubt it

king4day
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM

THat's a lot to give up for ANthony, but if the C's did it, then why not.
I like it. While I'll always root for the Suns, I can't help but cheer for a franchise that's been buried for so long. It'd be good for the league and great for LA. That would be a really powerful rivalry.

ThE ShOw
07-02-2008, 10:27 AM

But even if all of them are the top 4 seeds with Utah being #4 and one of the big 4 with homecourt, Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, Clippers or Portland could probably beat anyone of the top 4 teams in a series.

I think this puts the Mavs and Suns as the Last 2 seeds. I cant count out the Jazz, you know they will win about 36 or 37 home games and if they can learn how to win on the road at a 60% clip they will be tough. Everyone in the west needs to win the home games, because it is going to be tough to beat good teams on the road.

Baronistheman5
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Well this is official? I hope it isn't cuz the Warriors gotta get someone wid that money. I guess they will go for a younger star on the rise like josh smith. I would have liked to see Brand in a Warriors jersey. And wut r u guys talking about top 5 team? No way, Baron played every game last season, theres no way he does that 2 seasons in a row. I say he plays about 50 games this season. he ll miss most of the games with injury and then a couple becuz he ll be too drunk to play

hockeypro68
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Well this is official? I hope it isn't cuz the Warriors gotta get someone wid that money. I guess they will go for a younger star on the rise like josh smith. I would have liked to see Brand in a Warriors jersey. And wut r u guys talking about top 5 team? No way, Baron played every game last season, theres no way he does that 2 seasons in a row. I say he plays about 50 games this season. he ll miss most of the games with injury and then a couple becuz he ll be too drunk to play

Ahh, more bitterness from warriorsfans. Music to my ears. CLIPPERS!!!B-DIDDY!!!
:rock:

_Sn1P3r_
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow, him and BD took pay cuts. I really saw them getting at least 16M/Year.

I guess they really wanna win this year.

kylem4711
07-02-2008, 11:12 AM
the clipper bandwagon is taking applications. please let me know if you would like to apply.

:)

Do0msday
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm just glad he didn't come to the Nets. It seemed too many people wanted Brand for some strange reason... Thank you Clippers :P

And as for Warriors ... it's definitely looking like a GREAT move retaining their coach ;) lol...

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Imagine a Lakers vs Clippers playoff series. The Lakers would have homecourt in every game.

Do0msday
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Imagine a Lakers vs Clippers playoff series. The Lakers would have homecourt in every game.

lol that's just mean :P

kylem4711
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm just glad he didn't come to the Nets. It seemed too many people wanted Brand for some strange reason... Thank you Clippers :P

And as for Warriors ... it's definitely looking like a GREAT move retaining their coach ;) lol...

yeah your right. what kind of dumb team wants a 20 and 10 guy on their team?

Do0msday
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
yeah your right. what kind of dumb team wants a 20 and 10 guy on their team?

Yeah, and obviously you don't realize that the whole reason the Nets are getting younger & cheaper is to make a run in the '10 free agent market. Brand took less money to help his team out, if he actually went elsewhere he'd have wanted to cash in like every other player. It would be longer than 2 years and it'd be higher than $13.5mil a year. It'd probably be closer to 4 years, $64mil ($16mil a year) and that would completely screw the Nets up.

So yeah, you probably want to work on your sarcasm, buddy.

edison_yia
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
finally, the clippers are back in the race..but it would be one bada$$ western conference..you guys think about it...lakers, suns, spurs, hornets, jazz, nuggets, rockets, maverciks, warriors, blazers and now the damn clippers...man, next year would even be better than this year..the real championship game is in the western conference...

but, seriously, it would come down to mike dunleavy..i dont think they can play the kind of style davis loves to play in g.s.

Chronz
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM

From how good they were last year, Phoenix should get worse, Utah should be getting better, Hornets will take a step back because they were by far the healthiest team in the league but didnt take the 1st seed, and the Spurs are always in the top 4 especially if they get Maggs.

Lakers
Spurs
Jazz
Rockets
Hornets
Mavs
Clippers
Suns

Mavs-Clips-Suns should be anywhere from 6-8 but those are the top 5 for sure.

Ragun
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow...my respect for Baron Davis and Elton Brand went up. They signed for less money then what they are actually worth. This is great news for the Clippers. Watch out for the Clippers next year.

Leftcoast_yg
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Ahh, more bitterness from warriorsfans. Music to my ears. CLIPPERS!!!B-DIDDY!!!
:rock:

yup get use to it, im a laker fan i know people like to hate on good teams because their team sucks or just are plain haters

mickybrneyes20
07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Even with the acquisition of Davis and re-signing of Brand. Remember, they're still the Clippers! The laughing stock of the NBA for years. Baron will be hurt within the first couple of months, write it down!

cmellofan15
07-02-2008, 08:34 PM
wow i lik the lineup but i dont think 2 guards lik cuttino mobley shuld start hes not a proven guard like devon harris i think hes not fit to start i say they sign a ok shooting guard whos bigger and has some talent

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
From how good they were last year, Phoenix should get worse, Utah should be getting better, Hornets will take a step back because they were by far the healthiest team in the league but didnt take the 1st seed, and the Spurs are always in the top 4 especially if they get Maggs.

Lakers
Spurs
Jazz
Rockets
Hornets
Mavs
Clippers
Suns

Mavs-Clips-Suns should be anywhere from 6-8 but those are the top 5 for sure.

What about Portland? Also the Mavs just got Diop back which increases their defense again especially with Carlisle coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs ended up the #1 seed either.

1-800-STFU
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
No shocker here.

D-Amazins
07-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Teams i see going to the playoffs next year:

Houston Rockets
L.A. Lakers
L.A. Clippers
SA Spurs
Utah Jazz
Portland Blazers
N.O. Hornets
-----------------------
I think these teams will be fighting for a playoff spot

Dallas Mavs
Nuggets
Suns
Warriors

cmellofan15
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Even with the acquisition of Davis and re-signing of Brand. Remember, they're still the Clippers! The laughing stock of the NBA for years. Baron will be hurt within the first couple of months, write it down!

haha thats funny too bad b4 elton brand got injured which wasnt too long ago they made it to 2nd round of the playoffs which is better than the rockets and the nugget hav done n the last couple years and elton brand 20 and 7 the year he didnt even go 2 the playoffs and the year he did he was a mvp candidate with 25 and 10 and 5 so wow ur just great at analyzing and every season b4 this one he played AT LEAST 60 games

Iodine
07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
haha thats funny too bad b4 elton brand got injured which wasnt too long ago they made it to 2nd round of the playoffs which is better than the rockets and the nugget hav done n the last couple years and elton brand 20 and 7 the year he didnt even go 2 the playoffs and the year he did he was a mvp candidate with 25 and 10 and 5 so wow ur just great at analyzing and every season b4 this one he played AT LEAST 60 games

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk35/Iodinedc/Speak.jpg

AirJordanXVIII
07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow...my respect for Baron Davis and Elton Brand went up. They signed for less money then what they are actually worth. This is great news for the Clippers. Watch out for the Clippers next year.

Well said.

Tisoykeis
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Don't get to comfortable with the idea of the Clips making the playoffs just yet. If Brand signs with the Warriors, the Clips are suddenly a worse team this year than they were last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Sweet-revenge-Warriors-offer-Brand-100-million?urn=nba,91662

Phitin' Phan
07-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Don't get to comfortable with the idea of the Clips making the playoffs just yet. If Brand signs with the Warriors, the Clips are suddenly a worse team this year than they were last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Sweet-revenge-Warriors-offer-Brand-100-million?urn=nba,91662

The Sixers may also be prepared to offer him a similar deal to Brand. So we will see where he ends up.

cali72888
07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
no way he passes up 30 million from the warriors.......hope you like the trade a injury prone pg with a bad attitude for a role model pf with one serious injury compared to one a season.....

vince wilfort
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
The Clippers have set themselves up to contend for years to come since all their best players are pretty young. And now they have a great player at point guard who has shown that he can be great in the postseason even when matched up with a guy as athletic as Harris.

Chronz
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
What about Portland? Also the Mavs just got Diop back which increases their defense again especially with Carlisle coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs ended up the #1 seed either.

Portland aint ready

Mavs are a wild card, I doubt Carlisle can turn back father time enough on Kidd to make them elite again. Id be surprised if they contend against the Rox, Lakers, Jazz, or Hornets. But Im having some doubts about the Spurs if they dont sign Maggs.

FOBolous
07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
greeeat....the Western Conference just got another good team :( teams in the Western Conference just can't get a break can they? This sort of stuff needs to happen in the Eastern Conference more...the Western Conference have enough good teams already.

HOZ THE KNICK
07-02-2008, 10:19 PM
i guess golden state get screwed again.

still1ballin
07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
This is going to be another tough western conference race this upcoming season! cant wait!

LakerDeftones
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
clippers have no depth though

and welcome clippers to the playoffs once again, enjoy the 7th/8th seed!!

They have to play behind the Lakers and Suns...

certificial
07-02-2008, 11:23 PM
BD + Gordon= potential to be like BD + Ellis in GS......kinda scary if you add the presence of a scoring big like Brand.

Too bad the Brand deal isnt done yet though