PDA

View Full Version : We're officially REBUILDING!!! Now we play for lottery balls!

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Even with Baron Davis, we would have once again struggled to make the playoffs. Signing him to a long term deal was a very risky proposition. I for one am releived to have a direction, and am glad to be rebuilding. With continued growth from are youngsters, a nice lotto pick in 09, and the signing of a major Free Agent such as Amare Stoudemire or Chris Bosh we are a SOLID team again in 3 years with our PF slot filled.

Now with Baron gone, where do we go from here?
1.) Sign Monta, Biedrins and Azubuike at reasonable rates.
2.) Play our youngsters. We use this year to develop our young players.
3.) Look to trade our veterans Jackson and Harrington fo playoff contending teams for expiring contracts, young players and/or draft picks.
4.) Let Monta run PG spot, unless we sign the only young big PG out there, Shaun Livingston.
4.) DO NOT SIGN ANYBODY TO LONG TERM HIGH PRICED CONTRACTS!!!
5.) DO NOT TRADE FOR A POINT GUARD OR POWER FORWARD!!!

This may not be what Warriors fans want to hear, but the hardcore fans will stick around. I'm extremely excited for the season to start, as I can't wait to see what Belinelli, Wright, Randolph and Hendrix will do out there on the court.

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 06:27 AM
I took the liberty of posting teams with expiring contracts from the East with whom we can trade with. I would prefer to trade for 2009 and 2010 pics instead of players.

Stephen Jackson (only 30 years old) Salary: 2 years $14.8 million
Al Harrington (only 28 years old) Salary: 2 years $19.2 million

Expiring Contracts
Bulls Expiring: Drew Gooden $7.1 million
Bulls young assets: Tyrus Thomas, Sefolosha, Noah, Omer Asik, Picks.

Cavaliers Expiring: Scerbiak $13 million, Snow $7 million, Smith $5 million
Cavaliers young assets: 08 pick J.J. Hickson, Picks.

Detroit Expiring: Rasheed Wallace $13.5 mil, McDyess $7 mil

Houston Expiring: Bobby Jackson $6 mil, Francis $2.5 mil, Butler $2.5 mil, Woods $1 mil, Novak $1 mil
Houston young assets: Aaron Brooks, Donte Greene, Joey Dorsey

Orlando Expiring: Bogans $3 mil, Cook (2 years left) $7 mil total
Young Assets: Picks,

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 06:33 AM
I can see us trading Al and CJ Watson to Cleveland for Wally and a 2009 1st round pick.

I can see us trading Jackson to a lot of teams!!!

Al and Jackson are valuable because:
1.) they are still productive players
2.) they are in their primes
3.) they have extensive playoff experience
4.) they are versatile and can play multiple positions
5.) they can shoot the 3
6.) Jackson has championship experience
7.) They both have short 2 year deals. Enabling teams to still be in a position to make at run at the major Free Agent class of 2010.

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
I hope we get another franchise type player in the 2009 draft to go along with Monta.

I have a funny feeling that Anthony Randolph will amaze us with some of the things he will be able to do.

Also think Marco Belinelli is going to open some eyes. Any early predictions? Too early for me, have to wait and see who else the Warriors sign.

Saltinuts40
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
We have been rebuilding since 1977. We have been rebuilding since Run TMC and Don Nelson left us. We have been rebuilding since Latrell Sprewell choked away our chances.

We have been rebuilding from Anfernee Hardaway to Chris Webber to Tom Gugliotta to Donyell Marshall to Danny Fortson to Nick Van Exel to Dale Davis to Baron Davis.

I can't do it anymore as a fan. We have the pieces to be successful. We need to add pieces, not let our best piece go for nothing.

We gave contracts to Jamison, Richardson, Fisher, Foyle, Dunleavy and Murphy and watched all of them leave.

We watched players like Gilbert Arenas leave us for more money and now our best move is to try to bring him back when his own team can offer him $27 million more than we can.

I want to opt out of my season tickets.

GWarrior
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
i hope that if they do any kind of trade we dont give away any of our future picks.

Lottery bound!!!

mavwar53
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I can see us trading Al and CJ Watson to Cleveland for Wally and a 2009 1st round pick.

I can see us trading Jackson to a lot of teams!!!

Al and Jackson are valuable because:
1.) they are still productive players
2.) they are in their primes
3.) they have extensive playoff experience
4.) they are versatile and can play multiple positions
5.) they can shoot the 3
6.) Jackson has championship experience
7.) They both have short 2 year deals. Enabling teams to still be in a position to make at run at the major Free Agent class of 2010.

I could see that trade going down at the trade deadline so long as warriors are out of it (90% likely) and cleveland is in it (98% likely). All in all a highly likely trade.

GLobo
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I still think we are a playoff team... Ellis, Biedrens, Wright will all by a year better, steve jax and harrington are still there, we have depth at all positions other than point who we can pick up with our huge cap space...plus some teams are going to be coming back to us like dallas, denver, phoenix

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I still think we are a playoff team... Ellis, Biedrens, Wright will all by a year better, steve jax and harrington are still there, we have depth at all positions other than point who we can pick up with our huge cap space...plus some teams are going to be coming back to us like dallas, denver, phoenix

I like the optimism, but it's a little overt.

I do think we can be competitive and surprise people like Portland did last year. Let's see how are rookie's respond. I see Monta, Biedrins, Hendrix and Marco stepping up. Marco is licking his chops as we speak.

JLantern
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
the only thing i worry about is that losing can be a hard thing to overcome. once players get a taste on consistent losing, its hard for those same players to become winners. i hope that monta and biedrins can teach our other young players how to win, but i dont want us to lose too much.

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
That's why we need to sign Azubuike as well.

Biedrins, Monta and Buike have all seen and tasted the playoffs.

Seventh King
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
We have been rebuilding since 1977. We have been rebuilding since Run TMC and Don Nelson left us. We have been rebuilding since Latrell Sprewell choked away our chances.

We have been rebuilding from Anfernee Hardaway to Chris Webber to Tom Gugliotta to Donyell Marshall to Danny Fortson to Nick Van Exel to Dale Davis to Baron Davis.

I can't do it anymore as a fan. We have the pieces to be successful. We need to add pieces, not let our best piece go for nothing.

We gave contracts to Jamison, Richardson, Fisher, Foyle, Dunleavy and Murphy and watched all of them leave.

We watched players like Gilbert Arenas leave us for more money and now our best move is to try to bring him back when his own team can offer him $27 million more than we can.

I want to opt out of my season tickets.

Cheer up . . .your team still has some good pieces. GS is going to fly again, and at least your team is'nt the Knicks.

JLantern
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
is anyone else worried to monta may take the one year tender and choose to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season? i've never been convinced on biedrins, i think he's solid, but not all star caliber, so i'm not worried if he takes the tender. i think its imperative that we sign monta THIS SEASON to a large payday or his agent will tell him to take the tender, just like baron's agent told him to opt out. this is something we all need to watch out for.

Tmac416
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Little tidbit about thoe worried about Wright. here is a warrios question from the david thorpe chat, who is an espn.com NBA analiyst and the director pro personal at the IMG academy in florida.
Eric (Saratoga, CA): Two Golden State questions for you: 1.) Tell us where you think Anthony Randolph fits in the grand scheme of things for the Warriors especially since he appears to be a Wright clone. 2.) Give us your best "Out-of-left-field" move(s) for the Warriors to fill the void Baron Davis left.

David Thorpe: Randolph better show up ready, because when I last saw Wright he looked terrific. Not sure about the Baron issue.

babyshaq87
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
if we have to sign a player to a big contract and don't go deep in the playoff i would use this year to develop our young players..
1)resign barnes, pietrus, azebuike and biedrins
2)sign and trade baron if possible for livingston (if he signs a MLE type of contract) and picks
3)keep jackson with us (i think he is our franchise player)
4)make wright our starting pf, trade Al and run more than last year
5)add a couple of vet players to help the young guns

this way we will have the youngest team ever, great offense, everybody will want to learn something from coach nelson.. the only think to do would be to convince nellie to stay with us as long as possible just to see how whis young guys will develop with his help..

gswmentality
07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
i dont believe the warriors are a playoff team with the players they have on their roster right now, roughly like 4 haha. but anyways if we do sign players that come back with our offesenive style play (ellis, buki, pietrus and so on) we'd be a team to watch out for that can really poke some teams out of the playofffs. but if mullion pulls some major move or sign someone big that can bang with the might west, then, and only willl be become contenders. and biedrins is not expendable. i can't imagine losing him to another team because with out him, we'd hvae monta ellis guarding the centers. thats how small our team will become if we lose biedrins. he's not an all star guy, but with his potential, he can be a andrew bynum type of role player that has effects on other teams.

lincecum=future
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm officially on the rebuild bandwagon. I know we have been rebuilding for so long but signing a big free agent won't put us over the top. And if we expect to contend in the future with Blazers among others we should just resign Ellis and Biedrins long term and give Buike a new deal. Then let Ellis play the point for the year to get used to the position. Let Buike start at sg and give Bellinelli more minutes there. Stephen Jackson at SF unless we could move him. Start Wright at PF and ship Harrington away. And then of course Biedrins at C.

Lineup
Ellis, ??? Duhon
Buike, Bellinelli
Jackson, Randolph
Wright, Hendrix
Biedrins

I know it will be hard to rebuild after everyone thought that we were going to contend this year but with this lineup Monta will get a years experience at PG, Buike, Bellenelli, and Wright will all develop more. Plus we should get a pretty good draft pick next year and our future will be bright.

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Whats the point in having all this money if were not gonna spend it?? We are not rebuilding again cuz it makes absolutly no sense. We are only a few pieces away from dominance , ther is no need to rebuild, i dont care if are team is really young, doesnt matter just because we loose one ****ing player does not mean we have to fold over like wussy's and begin rebuilding. BD is not the type of player where when he leaves we crawl over and die. If you think that rebuilding is the solution you are an idiot. Reverting to rebuilding is not always the solution.

tru_warrior
07-03-2008, 08:33 PM
It's definitely not the time to rebuild. We're not about to have a firesale and let go of Monta, Beans, Wright, etc. I think we just need to wait this year out and wait for next year's draft AND save this years cap space to pick up more prominent FA's next year. It's not time to be desperate and give out max offers to everyone like we have been the last few days.

But I agree...this is NOT a rebuilding time in our franchise. We worked so damn hard to end the playoff drought...im not about to sit through another one.

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM
It's definitely not the time to rebuild. We're not about to have a firesale and let go of Monta, Beans, Wright, etc. I think we just need to wait this year out and wait for next year's draft AND save this years cap space to pick up more prominent FA's next year. It's not time to be desperate and give out max offers to everyone like we have been the last few days.

But I agree...this is NOT a rebuilding time in our franchise. We worked so damn hard to end the playoff drought...im not about to sit through another one.

THANK YOU!!! Ther is no reason to rebuild because one god damn player leaves, that makes no sense and this thread needs to be closed.

Tmac416
07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Whats the point in having all this money if were not gonna spend it?? We are not rebuilding again cuz it makes absolutly no sense. We are only a few pieces away from dominance , ther is no need to rebuild, i dont care if are team is really young, doesnt matter just because we loose one ****ing player does not mean we have to fold over like wussy's and begin rebuilding. BD is not the type of player where when he leaves we crawl over and die. If you think that rebuilding is the solution you are an idiot. Reverting to rebuilding is not always the solution.

its about spending the money on the right perosn. were trying to spend it on. areanas. brand. but davis wasnt woth it in the longe run. were not gonna ahve to rebuild. we have greta young pieces. celtics had ti bide their time for year and sadly we might have to. but were not gonna be the worst team in the legue and with nelson you were gonna be in it playing the underdog card till the end. Were not starting from scratch

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I am glad davis is gone, for what we would have been paying him next year, we now have the chance to split that salary between two players who are basically going to produce almost double what BD did last year. So who cares it was just a matter of time before he screwed us over thats one his strengths.

ejdacanay
07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson for Raymond Felton and Jason Richardson. (I wish lol)

Lineup:

PG: Felton/(Free Agent)/Watson
SG: Ellis/Belinelli/Azubuike
SF: J-Rich/(Pietrus?)/Randolph
PF: Wright/Hendrix/Randolph
C: Biedrins/Kosta

ThunderRoad75
07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
im done been a season ticket holder sence 95. A fan sence 1980 ive seen this team go threw so much rebuilding. Starting with the Parrish Mchale for joe barry carroll Bernard King for Michal Ray Richardson passing on Kobe to draft Todd Fuller joe smith insted of resheed wallace mitch richmond chris webber on and on it gos im sick of this team ill put my money else where seeee ya GSW

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
im done been a season ticket holder sence 95. A fan sence 1980 ive seen this team go threw so much rebuilding. Starting with the Parrish Mchale for joe barry carroll Bernard King for Michal Ray Richardson passing on Kobe to draft Todd Fuller joe smith insted of resheed wallace mitch richmond chris webber on and on it gos im sick of this team ill put my money else where seeee ya GSW

dont give up so soon.

mays217
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
That's why we need to sign Azubuike as well.

Biedrins, Monta and Buike have all seen and tasted the playoffs.

Not to pick on you garlicboy, but why is it a foregone conclusion to everyone that we resign Azubuike over Pietrus? I know that that is the likely scenario, but why? Their offensive numbers are pretty much identical, and Pietrus is a much better defender.

I wonder if Barnes will sign with the Clippers for cheap now?

IamTurboman
07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Not to pick on you garlicboy, but why is it a foregone conclusion to everyone that we resign Azubuike over Pietrus? I know that that is the likely scenario, but why? Their offensive numbers are pretty much identical, and Pietrus is a much better defender.

I wonder if Barnes will sign with the Clippers for cheap now?Because Air France:mad: doesn't want to be here anymore! He still is pissed that we didn't trade him.

tru_warrior
07-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Because Petey pisses us off. How many times must he step out of bounds because he doesn't know where he is? How many times does he travel after deciding to drive to the hoop instead of shooting the J? He makes the SAME mistakes EVERY game. I like what MP can bring to the team...but its just so frustrating watching him ball. Kelenna is definitely the smarter player out of the two and he's the one i'd want to keep. We can't let him get away.

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 10:02 PM

LOL thats hilarious, you obviously have never watched pietrus play everyday have you. This is a perfect example of how stats dont tell everything about a player, and something thats no in that stat sheet is hes got a basketball IQ as good as a monkey's

Tmac416
07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
LOL thats hilarious, you obviously have never watched pietrus play everyday have you. This is a perfect example of how stats dont tell everything about a player, and something thats no in that stat sheet is hes got a basketball IQ as good as a monkey's

lol i 100% agree een though you tried to get crazy on me about threads dancbuck. Yes pietrus on papaer should get a new deal now. but sersiously watch him play. its clearly never ever gonna click for him.he may get big minutes and put up nice points but he is never gonna be somone you can really depend on, or in the 4th quarter that you put him on the best guy. he really has the iq of well like danbuck said, a monkey. While you can see kelena he is clearly a scholar of the game and just flat out wants to be better. He has dominated summer ball, pre season and seen his work load increase over the last two years. Remeber he was in the d-league for a bit. But he is now enetering the time where it should all start to mold togeather. And most people think it will and he will blossom into a very very nice player

mays217
07-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Alright, first of all, there is no reason to question my knowledge as a fan or how often I watch. I can honestly say that I watched every minute of every game last season (although a few games I recorded on DVR and watched later) and went to 25 games. Now that my fanhood credibility is back hopefully, yes danbuck, obviously stats don't tell everything about the player and the "intangibles" he might bring that don't show up in the box score. Did any of you guys notice that when Petey got some consistent run later in the season, he produced and produced very well. Early in the season he would be brought in, miss his first shot and get yanked. That messed with his confidence, and clearly when he was allowed to play through a couple mistakes, he managed to play very well. Sure Petey could look like a goofball sometimes, but don't tell me that Buke never did. Kelenna virtually disappeared towards the end of the season. Pietrus brought emotion to the floor, which is what this team thrives on, while Kelenna never shows emotion. Look, Kelenna will likely be resigned and Barnes and Pietrus are likely out. I wish Pietrus the best wherever he goes, as long as its not the Lakers....or Clippers.

danbuc0101
07-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Alright, first of all, there is no reason to question my knowledge as a fan or how often I watch. I can honestly say that I watched every minute of every game last season (although a few games I recorded on DVR and watched later) and went to 25 games. Now that my fanhood credibility is back hopefully, yes danbuck, obviously stats don't tell everything about the player and the "intangibles" he might bring that don't show up in the box score. Did any of you guys notice that when Petey got some consistent run later in the season, he produced and produced very well. Early in the season he would be brought in, miss his first shot and get yanked. That messed with his confidence, and clearly when he was allowed to play through a couple mistakes, he managed to play very well. Sure Petey could look like a goofball sometimes, but don't tell me that Buke never did. Kelenna virtually disappeared towards the end of the season. Pietrus brought emotion to the floor, which is what this team thrives on, while Kelenna never shows emotion. Look, Kelenna will likely be resigned and Barnes and Pietrus are likely out. I wish Pietrus the best wherever he goes, as long as its not the Lakers....or Clippers.

I was not trying to question ur fanhood so my bad, im am sorry to tell you that i cannot agree with what you said, he just doesnt do it for me and i see buke as a way better all around player, but im sure ur a great fan my b

tru_warrior
07-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Mays, I do agree that MP played very well in the last month of the season. He had about an 8-10 game stretch where he was IMO one of our best players. He gave a good spark...grabbed double digit rebounds...he was fantasy bball worthy.

BUT then he went MIA on us when we needed him the most. Some of our players...Jack, Baron, Matt...they played with broken fingers and toes...and Petey sat out about 10 games to nurse his groin injury. When we thought for once he'd be reliable, he wimped out on us.

I'm not trying to nag on him...because I pulled my groin last month and its still lingering. But thats why i'm not in the NBA. You gotta tough it out when your team is in a playoff run. All MP was good for was a few good laughs here and there.

We need real WARRIORS on this team and imo, MP was not one of them.

mays217
07-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Tru Warrior, that's fair. You don't have to like Pietrus. Obviously he is a favorite of mine. You can argue that Buke is better or has more upside. My whole thing, besides playing devil's advocate for Pietrus all the time, is that there are better players besides Kelenna out there too. Kelenna, if I'm not mistaken did opt out of his contract with the Warriors, which he is entitled to do. But I don't think he would do as well outside of the system we have in place. I know I sound like a Buke basher, but I'm not. I like the guy and he sure can snatch some boards with those huge arms, and I'll never forget that 3 he it in Philly. I'm just a Petey guy and always have been. My buddy's favorite player is Barnes, so we'd have our own little pis*ing match within the game. (I won a lot of games last season.) Regardless of who the Warriors retain, it'll be a very interesting off-season. First thing's first, lock up Ellis and Biedrins so we don't have any more surprises. Then we know exactly how much is left to spend, and free agents begin to see our roster taking shape, making it more appealing to come to the Warriors.

tru_warrior
07-04-2008, 12:12 AM
you're just defending your boy and i respect that. i've always wanted pietrus to do well. he was big for us in the series against dallas in the playoffs. i like his character...he always has a lot of fun.

who knows...he says he wants to be back. maybe he will but i think we can do better. we should do a sign and trade because he actually is a hot commodity on the FA market...many teams have always been interested...including miami.

Kelenna opted out because he was only making the league minimum...or a little above that. something in the neighborhood of 700K. much different from baron's case so i can't even blame Kelenna for opting out. He deserves the MLE in my opinion...well maybe not THAT much. but something like 2-3 million would be good for Buike.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 12:18 AM

No offense taken.

I think TMac summed the the positives of Azubuike perfectly. A self-made man from the D-league who has and continues to improve.

Mickael Pietrus has not improved since his rookie year. He has the same game, shot, handles, etc.

Athletically and skillwise they are very similar, but I would rather sign the younger and hard working Azubuike.