PDA

View Full Version : Sox catcher of the future?

JacobyIsMyHomie
07-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Who is it?

Some farm prospects (still, exposito) are starting to show promise. Tek is now hitting .220 and depending on the market I am curious to see whether or not the Sox go after anyone else in Free Agency at the end of this season.

Humongo
07-02-2008, 06:36 AM
You guys can have Johjima :)

bosox1899
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM
just as long as its not varitek, his defense isnt good enough to justify his lack of offense...

Tragedy
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I'll take my .220 Varitek, thank ya!

Seriously though, no one really knows who the future Catcher is. I'm really not in favor of allowing Varitek to be the starting Catcher as soon as next season...

vince wilfort
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
At the start of the year, Wagner looked promising, but he hasn't done much in Portland. Now it looks like Exposito may be the top prospect. Brown will probably be the backup of the future, but what to do with Kotteras? He's out of options next year, but I wouldn't feel confident with him at the major league level.

knittingmill
07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
kottaras has 16HR and 45RBI. he's majors backup catcher/bat off the bench material. cash has been great defensively with some surprising pop. who knows what batting regularly would do for him. dusty's bat ain't great but otherwise he's solid. i'd give 'tek 12 mil over 2 years but boras is gonna want another 4/40 deal.

KmB728
07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
So is Cash not an option?

hes hittin better then V tek (Not hard to do)

BeAn 5 ToWnE
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM

We want Clement. :)

Wake's Fastball
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I like Exposito alot as a potential guy a few years down the line. If we wind up signing Federowicz, he's got a lot of potential as a major leaguer as well. I think Varitek stays around for at least another year while Wagner, Brown, Kottaras make their case for starting while taking over Cash's spot next year, then the Sox might have to consider what they want to do long-term at the position.

Celts22
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Jason Varitek is hitting poorly. Kevin Cash is doing worse. Could the Sox pick up one of the M's catchers? Baker notes that Jamie Burke could catch Tim Wakefield and probably hit better than Cash. Or, what about Kenji Johjima? Baker mentions that he could take over for Varitek, who will be a free agent, next year. Problem is, Johjima is hitting even worse this year.
mlbtraderumors.com

:puke:

-Lavigne43-
07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
We have to find out what it will take to land Laird from the Rangers. They need starting pitching and we have a ton of depth.

bagwell368
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, Laird is OK, but patience nets us a FA that will cost nothing.

The hitting woes start with missing Ortiz, Manny and now Drew slumping, and the empty Lugo, and suddenly lost CF. If 1/2 of that gets fixed up, Tek isn't going to be noticed that much. I do wish they would PH for him, enough of this Captain crap.

cocossox
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, Laird is OK, but patience nets us a FA that will cost nothing.

The hitting woes start with missing Ortiz, Manny and now Drew slumping, and the empty Lugo, and suddenly lost CF. If 1/2 of that gets fixed up, Tek isn't going to be noticed that much. I do wish they would PH for him, enough of this Captain crap.i agree i do like him but they never shoul've gave him that C for what imo he's an above avg. catcher/player but not great jmo sorry imo if any red sox catcher deserved the C it was carlton fisk

24 MLB seasons thats un heard of not too shabby either

2499 8756 1276 2356 421 47 376 1330 849 1386 128 58 .269

Tragedy
07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
mlbtraderumors.com

:puke:
So their idea of an upgrade is to downgrade?

And thus why I never read that site.

i am bob
07-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Kottaras could be a decent candidate. He needs to improve his defence though = No help for Wake.

Wake's Fastball
07-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Kottaras could be a decent candidate. He needs to improve his defence though = No help for Wake.

He's also hitting the ball at a .227 clip in AAA.

papipapsmanny
07-04-2008, 11:31 PM
kottoras has mad power this season in the majors i could see him hitting like 20 hrs maybe 25 in a really good year, if he could even hit 270 in a season i would be happy with that

Tragedy
07-04-2008, 11:34 PM
kottoras has mad power this season in the majors i could see him hitting like 20 hrs maybe 25 in a really good year, if he could even hit 270 in a season i would be happy with that
But why would he hit .270 if he's hitting BELOW that in AAA?

papipapsmanny
07-05-2008, 12:09 AM
i was saying if he could hit 270 i would take it

i never implied that he would

kazzy4080
07-05-2008, 12:40 AM

so a catcher that will have a sucky average but has a ton of power. oh douge mirabelli where are you?

dougie is going deep tonight.

Wake's Fastball
07-05-2008, 01:17 AM
i was saying if he could hit 270 i would take it

i never implied that he would

I agree, if he were going to hit .270 with that power I'd stamp him as our franchise catcher and call it a day, poor defense and all.

At this point, I just don't think he's any more special than the Jason LaRues of the world that will hit .240 with 10 home runs if they're given a starting job.

i am bob
07-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Dusty Brown is hitting .277 with 7 HR's .835 OPS and a .377 OBP.

Not bad.

lil'papi
07-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Brian McCann for some pitching Atlanta is desperate for pitching.

Ok, my dream is over...

At least ask.....when they stop laughing ....ask again.

fins08
07-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Torrealba, the Red's cathcer are said to be on the blcok. Yorvit is good defensively.

DieHardColtsfan
07-05-2008, 02:55 PM

i agree, you guys got him in the David Wells trade to SD. Kottaras is close to ready.

WilymoPena
07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Whoever it is I dont want it to be Tek unless he's a backup. He's old and slow and can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore. He's had a great run but he's at the end of the line, his defensive mobility is really questionable at this point. That said, who do you get? There aren't many great catchers out there. Maybe a Victor Martinez would be a possibility or a McCann but its scary to think how much we would have to give up to get one of them. I think Tek with a LoDuca or Estrada from the Nationals would make a good veteran combo, but we need the young catcher of the future and I just dont see him in our system yet.

Tragedy
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Torrealba, the Red's cathcer are said to be on the blcok. Yorvit is good defensively.
Torrealba is good defensively, but so is Varitek. The switch would be moot, as we go from an awful offensive player (Varitek) to an awful offensive player (Torrealbla).

WilymoPena
07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Torrealba is good defensively, but so is Varitek. The switch would be moot, as we go from an awful offensive player (Varitek) to an awful offensive player (Torrealbla).

Also Torrealba is on the Rockies not the Reds.

PapelbonLester
07-05-2008, 07:25 PM
catcher of the future????? this is kinda a dumb question cause the sox are obviously going to wait till tek hits under .200 to think about a new catcher. and it will probably be someone not in the system now. hopefully like a SALTAMACIA but probably not.

lil'papi
07-06-2008, 07:35 AM
catcher of the future????? this is kinda a dumb question cause the sox are obviously going to wait till tek hits under .200 to think about a new catcher. and it will probably be someone not in the system now. hopefully like a SALTAMACIA but probably not.

Saltamacia? Sounds like a soup made with sea water. Or some old italian complaining about too much salt on his pasta. :p Jarrod Saltalamacchia ;) http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/saltaja01.shtml

Guy is hitting ......... guess what .225? :rolleyes:

Tek is the captain they won't jump ship during a slump. Cash has been a nice backup. We need them to do simple things when the game is on the line.

The FO never panics and makes a rash move. Right now Tek is killing us , he isn't even catching well as evidenced by the passed ball yesterday. Not blocking the plate....not hitting a fly ball......

For those saying he needs time off, he just had time off, he has had 31 games off......Cash has caught a bunch of games. He simply should not be tired.

He just isn't as good defensively as people claim. Handling pitchers is way over rated. If he is sooo good then why is the pen in shambles. Can't have both ways. Why do starters have awful games......
Way too much emphasis put on how good he is on D.