PDA

View Full Version : Why Would A.....

brandonwarne52
07-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Predominantly right handed batter ever consider switch hitting?

Dick Bremer of FSN North said last night during an Alexi Casilla at bat against Nate Robertson that he was batting in his 'natural' right handed side.

That makes no sense to me.

dcannon456
07-02-2008, 03:47 AM
most switch hitters have taught themselves to be switch hitters, which is why most have alot better numbers from one side of the plate than the other. i had taught myself to bat from the right side to make it more difficult on opposing pitchers and get a better read on breaking stuff.

Humongo
07-02-2008, 05:18 AM
^That's opposite from Casilla's situation.

It doesn't make sense to switch hit if you're stronger from the right side since you're only gonna hit from that side roughly 1/4 or so of the time.

I haven't looked at Casilla's splits, but my guess is that he's excelled from the left side, or at least he feels fairly comfortable there.

pavel96
07-02-2008, 06:32 AM
thats just wierd

DaSox_05
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Dick Bremer of FSN North said last night during an Alexi Casilla at bat against Nate Robertson that he was batting in his 'natural' right handed side.

Maybe someone told him he should bat lefty so he could get out of the box faster. Since there is one less step to make when you bat lefty. That was the same case for me in high school I was a slap hitter like Ichiro and Fukudome (but no where near as good) but from the right side of the plate and my coach at the end of my freshman year told me to practice left handed over the winter. I did and when I tried it my sophmore year I sucked big time even though in the cage I was ok at it. I just couldnt do it on the field and my sophmore year I had a horrible year. My junior year I just went back to batting righty and had a good year.

redwhitenblue
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
^That's opposite from Casilla's situation.

It doesn't make sense to switch hit if you're stronger from the right side since you're only gonna hit from that side roughly 1/4 or so of the time.

I haven't looked at Casilla's splits, but my guess is that he's excelled from the left side, or at least he feels fairly comfortable there.
Your post doesn't make sense to me

The league is predominantly RHP, LHH's overall seem to have an advantage against RHP than RHH, it you can successfully learn/teach yourself how to hit LH at an early enough age to do it well from that side, it would be an advantage

I wouldn't suggest it for someone who's 19-20, but if you can do it early 12/13/14 and develop a smooth swing-it's a fine idea

The only way it doesn't make sense is if you're very strong from the RH position and weak or drastically worse from the LH position

I wouldn't understand why a LHH would waste a ton of time learning to SH when there aren't many LHP's in the league

I know when I taught myself it was a drastic difference which is what made me stop doing it. I was good eye/decent power from the right side and all contact, no power/average eye from the left side and it wasn't worth the troubles

Kenny
07-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Jose Reyes is a natural right handed hitter and when he came up that was his power side as well as average. Now he is over a .300 hitter from the left side with good power.

ThisIsTheYear
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM

I dont get what your trying to say?

Why is a right handed batter batting right handed? Thats what I get out of it, if someone could explain it, please do.

The A Team
07-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Alexi probably chose to become a switch hitter to increase his value. He's a marginal MLB player at most, probably best suited as a backup (although he's certainly having a good season), so anything he can do to keep other guys from getting looks at his position would be advisable.

He's hitting .316 vs righties compared to .348 against lefties, so it seems he isn't losing anything from the left side.