PDA

View Full Version : Artest - Maybe it's time to start talking about him again

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 01:04 AM
In the NBA forum I was talking with a Kings fan - Beno - and I proposed the following:

Kleiza
Hunter
a future 1st
maybe throw in some combo of Chucky/Green/Jones/cash to balance it out

for

Artest

They get a young rising player and a backup to fill the hole that Brad Miller will leave if they ship him out (as I think they'll do), and a pick to boot. We get Ron Ron.

Before announcing his decision, Artest said last week: "Even if I was to opt out, which probably won't happen, I will never accept a mid-level exception. So people trying to figure out possibilities should get that out of their heads."

But by declining to walk away from the final year of his current contract -- and thus surrendering the right to choose a new team -- Artest might actually have increased the likelihood that he winds up playing elsewhere between now and next February's trading deadline.

At what amounts to an expiring contract valued at less than $8 million, Artest has a very tradeable salary in spite of any concerns about his controversial past.

The Kings seriously explored the market for Artest at the February trading deadline, most notably in talks with the Denver Nuggets.espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469895)

DJiC
07-02-2008, 01:08 AM
nene/kleiza for artest...we shed some salary and isnt that the proposed trade from before the deadline?

avsman05
07-02-2008, 01:17 AM
i think we should give nene 1 more year especially if we are getting rid of camby. kleiza and fillers what they originally wanted at the deadline. that would work.

DenverNBAFan
07-02-2008, 01:20 AM
The Best Option I Personally Think Should Be Nejera and Klezia for Artest. I Think The Kings Liked That Offer. But The Nuggets Tried to Propose it at The Deadline but Nothing Happened. :/

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 01:22 AM
The Best Option I Personally Think Should Be Nejera and Klezia for Artest. I Think The Kings Liked That Offer. But The Nuggets Tried to Propose it at The Deadline but Nothing Happened. :/

Najera is now officially off our books. Not ours to trade anymore.

SUNDUNDIDIT
07-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Agreed...Artest would be great.

DenverNBAFan
07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Najera is now officially off our books. Not ours to trade anymore.

Oya,
I Forgot About the Free Agency Crap.
Lol.
Well.

Klezia
2009 2nd Round Draft
Bobby Jones?

avsman05
07-02-2008, 02:53 AM
So what would everyone think about this lineup

AI
Artest
Melo
Kmart
Camby

Bench:
Nene
Livingston
Jones
Green
Atkins

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 04:36 AM
So what would everyone think about this lineup

AI
Artest
Melo
Kmart
Camby

Bench:
Nene
Livingston
Jones
Green
Atkins

I think we're missing somebody. :cool:

avsman05
07-02-2008, 04:39 AM
I think we're missing somebody. :cool:

would that somebody be Hinrich? or weems? or both?

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 04:53 AM
would that somebody be Hinrich? or weems? or both?

:speechless:

:speechless::speechless::speechless:

--------------

edit-----

C'mon, avsman, I honestly can't believe you don't know who I'm talking about... I'm not gonna tell you until you guess it for yourself! :p

9bengals9
07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
J. R. Smith !!!!!!

MILESC04
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
i like the trade for artest if we are not giving up one of our three big men left in camby, nene, and kmart...if we where to get artest we would have a primarily defensive line up...and we probaby could also get hinrich but that would mean we would have to give up camby or nene which in turn we wud have to get a big man in return because that would only leave us with injury prone nene and kmart....and i guess artest can play pf...but he cant log heavy minutes there guarding the tim duncans...kevin garnetts...

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
J. R. Smith !!!!!!

There ya go. :clap:

Sorry avsman, he beat ya to it. :smoking:

MILESC04
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
yo i jus read dis article with the kings sayin that artest would be released or traded after this season...and artest responding by sayin returning to the kings was one of his biggest mistakes...if we get artest we shouldnt go after hinrich..jus risk signing livingston to a small contract..

Broncs4Life
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I have been against going after Ron-Ron, mainly because of his character (or lack of it) issues. That said, Denver really needs another defensive stopper & Ron could be the answer. If they could do the original deal that DenButsu mentioned, that being Kleiza, Hunter, possible 1st rounder and maybe filler for Ron, I'd say do it. It would make Denver better on the defensive end, not to mention that he can score when needed.

avsman05
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
There ya go. :clap:

Sorry avsman, he beat ya to it. :smoking:

wow i overlooked one of the better players on the nuggets im shamed.:hide:

eman
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Can we please stop using character issues to determine who is a good player and who isn't. Not anyone on this board knows any basketball player intimately enough to comment on their true character. What they are commenting on is the news reports of their alleged character issues. These basketball players although living a priviledged life are still people living their lives from day to day just like you do. They make mistakes in their lives just like you and I do but when they do it, it gets televized on the evening news, that gets picked up by ESPN, that then gets reported in the newspapers, which then goes to the bloggesphere and talk radio, not to mention message boards.

roygconner
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Can we please stop using character issues to determine who is a good player and who isn't. Not anyone on this board knows any basketball player intimately enough to comment on their true character. What they are commenting on is the news reports of their alleged character issues. These basketball players although living a priviledged life are still people living their lives from day to day just like you do. They make mistakes in their lives just like you and I do but when they do it, it gets televized on the evening news, that gets picked up by ESPN, that then gets reported in the newspapers, which then goes to the bloggesphere and talk radio, not to mention message boards.

Perfect post couldn't agree with you more.:)

DJiC
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
after this season? miles he'll be a free agent! no need to release or trade after the 08-09 season...his character can be horrible for all i care just get the job done on the court and dont get arrested off the court...whether hes loved or dislike in the locker room i could care less just dont let it affect your or anyone elses game

denversgm
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
if we do the ron artest deal, we can then use the midlevel to either get pargo or to get peitrus.

MILESC04
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
it seem like the nuggets are taking one step forward and two steps backward...they need to make a move this off season...they're doing the same thing to melo that philly did with iverson...didnt bring anyone in to help get a championship...year after year...and despite what iverson said..he didnt wanna b dere...losing..year after year

DJiC
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
we did bring in iverson afterall then the east decide to trade kidd to dallas, memphis gave pau to the lakers for a washing machine, minn decided to trade garnett to the celtics after they got ray allen....so ya the west was competitive and artest wouldve made a HUGE difference for us making us an instant contender for a CHAMPIONSHIP rather a contender for a playoff spot....do the artest deal no matter who we ship out besides melo/jr.....sign pargo to back up ai at the pg...keep weems to back up melo if kleiza is gone in artest deal......trade camby back to indiana for roy hibbert(17th pick going to them in oneal deal).....have hunter actually play back up....and sign a DECENT back up PF to back up martin

DenButsu
07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
it seem like the nuggets are taking one step forward and two steps backward...they need to make a move this off season...they're doing the same thing to melo that philly did with iverson...didnt bring anyone in to help get a championship...year after year...and despite what iverson said..he didnt wanna b dere...losing..year after year

Wow, not only is that the perfect analogy, it's also supremely ironic since it was Iverson himself who our FO brought in as the guy to help Melo get a championship. And that is exactly why I've come to consider the AI-Melo experiment a failed one. Even bringing in AI brought us no greater postseason success than the the three years prior to that. Melo and AI just simply don't compliment each other well for postseason basketball.

Crunchy12489
07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I think Melo and AI need to come to some sort of agreement.

Like...

"F-ck the rest of this team, it's me and you now."

They could really both get double doubles from each other. Assists and points... All they have to do is finish!

C-Dub
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
i still dont see how you can keep saying they "failed" when its only been a year and a half and there hasnt been any other moves to help them out and like half the team is injured at all times...

DenButsu
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
i still dont see how you can keep saying they "failed" when its only been a year and a half and there hasnt been any other moves to help them out and like half the team is injured at all times...

Um, did you watch the playoffs?

AI was brought in to help us get past the first round. Not only has that not happened, this year's postseason was our worst showing in the 5 years Melo has been on the Nuggets - and that's by far, it's not even close.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Um, did you watch the playoffs?

AI was brought in to help us get past the first round. Not only has that not happened, this year's postseason was our worst showing in the 5 years Melo has been on the Nuggets - and that's by far, it's not even close.

But you also can't win a playoff series with just 3 players. JR did his thing in tha post season... but no one else who came off tha bench contributed, and we dont play any defense.

KEEP DOUBTIN THA NUGGETS.

Everyone will be back on tha badwagon once we make some moves, trust me.

eman
07-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Does anyone on here remember Mike Wilks and the role he played early on in the season?

Does anyone remember that Yakhouba was the starting shooting guard at the beginning of the season.

Does anyone else remember how dominant Marcus Camby was playing in the early part of the season or Carmelo Anthony's shooting slump or even that Kenyon Martin could only play for so long because of his achy knees. I also hope no one forgot that Nene' had cancer or that J.R. lost his best friend in a car accident while he was driving.

Yes, the Silent Stan Kroenke owned Denver Nuggets are going to have to justify their exuberant payroll, but last year was not a typical year by any stretch of the imagination. For the fact of the matter every year that Carmelo has been here and the 5 before that have all been tumultuos. The Nuggets are not a stable franchise.

This is why they didn't make a pick in the first round of the draft and so far have not made a move in free agency. Also probably the reason why they didn't make the trade for Ron Artest who now is a very hot commodity which we could've had for an expiring contract and a second round player.

DenButsu
07-03-2008, 07:52 PM
KEEP DOUBTIN THA NUGGETS.

Everyone will be back on tha badwagon once we make some moves, trust me.

I don't doubt the Nuggets. I doubt the duo. And to me breaking up the duo will be the ultimate key to this team finding success.

And I will predict right now that if we on't break up the duo this offseason, we will have another repeat of failure in the next postseason, if we even make the playoffs at all.

^Hit the quote button, copy it, paste it into a text file, and save it for next spring so you can throw it back in my face if I'm wrong. But you won't have the opportunity to, I'm about 95% sure of it. There is just zero chemistry between AI and Melo, and their weaknesses rather than their strengths are reinforced when they take the court together.

And I've never been on or off the bandwagon. There's only one basketball team I've ever been a loyal fan of, and will always be a fan of, and that's the Nuggets, my home team. And my loyalty goes to the team above any individual players on the roster.

JordansBulls
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm curious?

Why didn't you guys trade Kleiza for Artest earlier this season?

A lineup of Iverson, Melo, Artest, Kmart and Camby could have beaten the Lakers.

DenButsu
07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm curious?

Why didn't you guys trade Kleiza for Artest earlier this season?

A lineup of Iverson, Melo, Artest, Kmart and Camby could have beaten the Lakers.

I think the FO was worried about him opting out at the end of the season and ending up with fewer assets overall.

Oops.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I don't doubt the Nuggets. I doubt the duo. And to me breaking up the duo will be the ultimate key to this team finding success.

And I will predict right now that if we on't break up the duo this offseason, we will have another repeat of failure in the next postseason, if we even make the playoffs at all.

^Hit the quote button, copy it, paste it into a text file, and save it for next spring so you can throw it back in my face if I'm wrong. But you won't have the opportunity to, I'm about 95% sure of it. There is just zero chemistry between AI and Melo, and their weaknesses rather than their strengths are reinforced when they take the court together.

And I've never been on or off the bandwagon. There's only one basketball team I've ever been a loyal fan of, and will always be a fan of, and that's the Nuggets, my home team. And my loyalty goes to the team above any individual players on the roster.

I think the chemistry is there... they're good friends, on and off tha court. they were friends before they were team-mates. and to be quite honest, I do beleive AI and Carmelo can get it done, you just need to get tha right guys around them

QuaLiThADoN
07-08-2008, 11:59 PM
i wouldn't risk artest..... he has always been a problem