PDA

View Full Version : Team Canada Qualifying Tournament Thread

Bob_at_york
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
I think we had one of these before but I decided to create a new/fresh one. The team has started playing exhibition games. Who else is excited?

Story I read today:

To casual Canadian basketball fans, he's been little more than The Guy Who Isn't Steve Nash.

This may be the summer Jermaine Anderson carves out his own reputation in the international game.

The 25-year-old native of Toronto, still growing into his role as the starting point guard on Canada's national basketball team, got off to a pretty good start last night with an impact that was subtle yet telling as Canada routed Lebanon 89-67 before about 1,000 fans at McMaster University.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/452087

Ragun
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Go Canada Go!

Dragan
07-02-2008, 01:27 AM
whoooo. did we allready play any exebition games and if what have the scores been?????????

conway429
07-02-2008, 03:10 AM
whoooo. did we allready play any exebition games and if what have the scores been?????????

it says in the article, we romped Lebanon.... it IS Lebanon, but still...

Dragan
07-03-2008, 02:01 AM
it says in the article, we romped Lebanon.... it IS Lebanon, but still...

ah well was not intrasted in opening teh link. Well we got to win as many as we can so that we get a nice streak rolling.

Tom Stone
07-03-2008, 06:44 AM
ah well was not intrasted in opening teh link. Well we got to win as many as we can so that we get a nice streak rolling.

I agree completely...there's some tough teams ahead.....Canada has to play at their top level.

Ragun
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Canada will face the US in an exhibition match....O O!

Bob_at_york
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Team Canada (who needs a nickname) is playing in Toronto tomorrow night! I am thinking about going!

Speaking of tomorrow, itís the first time in like half a decade that the national teamís playing in Toronto. Ricoh Coliseum, 7 p.m. Oh, and the junior teamís playing a collection of area college kids at 4 if you want to get there extra early and that wouldnít be a bad idea.

Oh and the whole nickname thing:

Iím sitting there watching Canada play the Tall Blacks the other night in Hamilton, thatís the New Zealand basketball team and, let me tell you, the Tall Blacks arenít the Tall Blacks without Sean Marks, if for no other reason that he once bought a round for a table of grunts at the finals one year after giving us the restaurant recommendation

Anyway, I digress.

So, Iím watching Canada-Tall Blacks and Iím thinking (a thought echoed by The First Lady Of The Beat earlier in the exhibition tournament) that we really need a nickname.

After all, youíve got the likes of the Black Stars, the Indomitable Lions, the Canaries, the Boomers and a host of others. Team Canada? Borrrrrrring!

The Canadian Shield ? Nah, maybe not. The Maple Leafs? No, too trite. Prairie Oysters? Not so much. I dunno.

What do you think?

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

JermanJaysFan
07-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Breakfast and basketball.

Fans will be able to watch the Canadian national men's team – very early in the morning – as it tries to qualify for the Beijing Olympics after The Score obtained broadcast rights to the tournament next week in Athens.

Canada's two first-round games – Tuesday against Slovenia and Wednesday against Korea – will be broadcast live beginning each day at 6 a.m. and will repeated later, Canada Basketball announced.

If Canada advances out of its preliminary-round pool, those games will also be broadcast.

Canada is one of 12 teams fighting for the final three berths in the Olympic tournament and is playing exhibition games in Germany today and Friday in its final preparation.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/456906

JermanJaysFan
07-09-2008, 07:02 AM

Fans will be able to watch the Canadian national men's team – very early in the morning – as it tries to qualify for the Beijing Olympics after The Score obtained broadcast rights to the tournament next week in Athens.

Canada's two first-round games – Tuesday against Slovenia and Wednesday against Korea – will be broadcast live beginning each day at 6 a.m. and will repeated later, Canada Basketball announced.

If Canada advances out of its preliminary-round pool, those games will also be broadcast.

Canada is one of 12 teams fighting for the final three berths in the Olympic tournament and is playing exhibition games in Germany today and Friday in its final preparation.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/456906

Bob_at_york
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
The games will be televised!

Fans will be able to watch the Canadian national men's team Ė very early in the morning Ė as it tries to qualify for the Beijing Olympics after The Score obtained broadcast rights to the tournament next week in Athens.

Canada's two first-round games Ė Tuesday against Slovenia and Wednesday against Korea Ė will be broadcast live beginning each day at 6 a.m. and will repeated later, Canada Basketball announced.

Early breakfast... I guess I can get to work on time.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/456906

Ragun
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Bob...it was posted. I :pity: you to the max. :p

Wait so when are we facing Germany.

_Sn1P3r_
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Canada will face the US in an exhibition match....O O!

I wanna see that game. It'll be a good one.

Bob_at_york
07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Bob...it was posted. I :pity: you to the max. :p

Wait so when are we facing Germany.

as you should. Stupid Bob! Although I am confused, I didn't get an email telling me somebody posted in this thread. :confused:

Sixers&Raptors7
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Canada beat a good German side 91-86 today.

Dragan
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/457502

we beat dsco dirk :dance::dance:

Bob_at_york
07-15-2008, 07:24 AM
anyone else get up early to watch this bull****? Doug Smith mentioned that things like this could occur but I didn't want to believe it. The refs have sucked. So much so that I am now questionning if they are paid off. The small ticky-tacky fouls are being called against the Canadians but a guy jumping on Rautins's back while shooting isn't called. Also looks like moving picks are allowed in this league (Rasho packs a mean moving screen).

Bob_at_york
07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess I haven't been keeping up enough with Team Canada. Where is Juan? He isn't playing today and I thought he was on the team!

marvILLous
07-15-2008, 09:35 AM
man we dropped our first game in the olympic qualifier

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Is anybody watching this? I was dis-interested for most of the game. Then Korea pulled out the Salami and Cheese at one point with a 12 point lead late in the game and they had a 10 point lead with 2 minutes left. But Canada just won 79-77!!! :speechless:

blujaysrock
07-16-2008, 08:38 AM
they beat south koria

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
they beat south koria

that is one way of putting it.

rico_suave
07-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Is anybody watching this? I was dis-interested for most of the game. Then Korea pulled out the Salami and Cheese at one point with a 12 point lead late in the game and they had a 10 point lead with 2 minutes left. But Canada just won 79-77!!! :speechless:

I watched the game this morning. What a sensational comeback. I had completelty written our boys off, but Barrett was clutch and so was Kendall.

Great win Men.

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Philadelphia 76ers' centre Samuel Dalembert's time with the Canadian National Basketball team may be a short one.

The Haitian-born Dalembert, who grew up in Montreal did not play and was not on the bench for Canada's victory over Korea on Tuesday at the FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament in Greece after a reported confrontation with a Canadian official.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=243532&lid=sublink02&lpos=topRelated_olympics

This is really disappointing news. He seemed to have so much passion and now he is leaving the team after a confrontation. I missed the first part of the game today but i noticed Sam didn't play in the 2nd half. I heard a quote from Leo this morning saying something like: "If people want to be here, they will play, if they don't want to be here then they should just go."

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Well... it looks like Team Canada will be facing Roko Ukic next. I need to see that game!

TheHip
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM
That was an amazing comeback this morning, i was debating going back to sleep after the first half. Glad i didn't. I was on the edge of my seat the whole second half. I really hope the team can build up over the next few years and become really competitive, cause you cant beat the excitement of watching your country compete.
But the win is not with some really bad news also,

From the official basketball canada website:
"Samuel Dalembert of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers did not make an appearance for Canada on Wednesday. According to Rautins, Dalembert, who had been Canada’s starting centre, is no longer a member of the team and in a surprising turn of events is not expected to play for the remainder of the Athens event."
http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=2229

Kontent
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I want to know the whole story about Dalembert...

Raptors27
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Wonder why he left or if they told him to leave?

marvILLous
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
well they did beat korea w/out sam but it looks like team canada ain't going anywhere now.. they need dalembert

B2B
07-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I want to know the whole story about Dalembert...

Rasho destroyed him.

Slovenia beat Canada 86-70, with Rasho scoring 14 points, grabbing 9 rebounds, and blocking 4 shots with 2 assists and 2 steals.

Kontent
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Rasho destroyed him.

Slovenia beat Canada 86-70, with Rasho scoring 14 points, grabbing 9 rebounds, and blocking 4 shots with 2 assists and 2 steals.

So let me get the gist of it... he basically cried like a baby due to the officiating and the coaches didn't support his complaints?

Ramon Nivar
07-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Losing Dalembert hurts.. It looks like you can win without him though. Nice work. I'll be rooting for Canada throughout the qualifiers as a Raptors fan. :hi5:

marvILLous
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Samuel Dalembert is no longer a member of the Canadian men’s basketball team, coach Leo Rautins revealed Wednesday after Canada’s 79-77 win over Korea at the FIBA Olympic qualifying tournament in Greece.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2008/07/16/dalembert_booted/

rest of article in the link.. if y'all wanted to read a bit on what happened between leo and dalembert
i'm sure we'll hear a lot about it during the year when leo is commentating the games lol

star
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
what did happen?

just didnt get along?

ink
07-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I just finished watching Canada-Korea. Pretty good ending to the game. :D They don't really have the players to compete, but at least they showed a ton of heart when they needed to. It was an impressive comeback from 18 down.

Bramaca
07-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Just finished watching the game on the Score, good finish for Canada. Reffing was terrible though. Anderson looked really good as did Kendall (as long as he didn't shoot the ball).

The Dalembert thing makes me wonder about Rautins though. Other countries have no troubles getting players to want to play while Canada is asking one of the few NBA players to leave and the others don't want to play.

RapsFan4Life
07-17-2008, 08:36 AM
why did Samuel get kicked off the team, f u leo !!

we dont stand a chnace without Samuel

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 08:54 AM
why did Samuel get kicked off the team, f u leo !!
you ask why then you curse leo. if you don't know why then I think it is unfair to curse Leo.

RapsFan4Life
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
you ask why then you curse leo. if you don't know why then I think it is unfair to curse Leo.

leo is the one who kicked him off and wouldnt even give a direct answer i read the article, and he is just beating around the bush, he is an idiot who just wants to get his son playing time and his son sucks too ... he should stick to commentating, and there was an interview with Dal, he said he was unclear of the reason Leo kicked him off too, thats stupid ! ... maybe if he DID give a legit reason i wouldnt curse him

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
leo is the one who kicked him off and wouldnt even give a direct answer i read the article, and he is just beating around the bush,
I am unsure if you know this but the Canadian team has a big game tomorrow, they don't need any extra distractions. Leo is trying to be brief with his comments most likely because he is trying to show some class. Airing dirty laundry right now would be bad. Also depending how bad the situation truly is, maybe Leo doesn't want to burn any bridges. Maybe he is hoping that things can stick work out for Canadian basketball and Dalembert but I can tell you this, that wouldn't be possible if Leo goes in front of cameras and tells everyone the truth right now.

he is an idiot who just wants to get his son playing time and his son sucks too
His son is a guard and Sam is a centre, kicking one off the team doesn't make minutes available for the other.

... he should stick to commentating, and there was an interview with Dal, he said he was unclear of the reason Leo kicked him off too, thats stupid ! ... maybe if he DID give a legit reason i wouldnt curse him
Dalembert is probably also being coy. Since Leo hasn't revealed the real reason, Dalembert isn't sure if the real reason will be revealed. If Dalembert ****ed up, do you really think he would come out and say it right now and cause further distractions for his teammates. I would like to think he is better than that.

Ragun
07-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Losing Dalembert hurts.. It looks like you can win without him though. Nice work. I'll be rooting for Canada throughout the qualifiers as a Raptors fan. :hi5:

:love:

Mile High Champ
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
I eally want to find out why Dalembert was kicked off. I really want to know what he did in detail as he must of done somethings stupid or plain wrong for Rautins to kick off his best player from the team. What a mess this is.

RapsFan4Life
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I am unsure if you know this but the Canadian team has a big game tomorrow, they don't need any extra distractions. Leo is trying to be brief with his comments most likely because he is trying to show some class. Airing dirty laundry right now would be bad. Also depending how bad the situation truly is, maybe Leo doesn't want to burn any bridges. Maybe he is hoping that things can stick work out for Canadian basketball and Dalembert but I can tell you this, that wouldn't be possible if Leo goes in front of cameras and tells everyone the truth right now.

His son is a guard and Sam is a centre, kicking one off the team doesn't make minutes available for the other.

Dalembert is probably also being coy. Since Leo hasn't revealed the real reason, Dalembert isn't sure if the real reason will be revealed. If Dalembert ****ed up, do you really think he would come out and say it right now and cause further distractions for his teammates. I would like to think he is better than that.

we will see when leo reveals what happend, I think Dal would not keep queit if unless he did something really dumb like drugs or something, which Dal is a pretty respectfully player, i know leos son is a gaurd and my comment about him getting more playing time doesnt go directly but im just trying to say that it seems like leo is playing favorits on the team, and team canada needs a center peice like Sam cuz what he brings to the table is un matchable ... but after tomorows game when he has his press conference we'll see if his decision was called for or " f u leo" was called for

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I eally want to find out why Dalembert was kicked off. I really want to know what he did in detail as he must of done somethings stupid or plain wrong for Rautins to kick off his best player from the team. What a mess this is.

i was just reading Doug Smith's blog and he didn't go into details but he said something about an incident on a bus. Doug then told a story that involved the team bus in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. He said the bus arrived, everyone got out to practice. Taxi arrived after with just Dalembert getting out.

Bricklayer
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Even though I agree with the decision to remove Dalembert from the team, It just looks bad on the Canadian program. First of all, Leo is a broadcaster, not a coach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he has any coaching credentials whatsoever. Why not have a guy who has coached at a high level, like Triano, or even Murray from the national university champions. This is a black eye on the program, and people wonder why Nash and Magloire want no part of it. On a positive note, I will be cheering the boys against Croatia!

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Even though I agree with the decision to remove Dalembert from the team, It just looks bad on the Canadian program. First of all, Leo is a broadcaster, not a coach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he has any coaching credentials whatsoever. Why not have a guy who has coached at a high level, like Triano, or even Murray from the national university champions. This is a black eye on the program, and people wonder why Nash and Magloire want no part of it. On a positive note, I will be cheering the boys against Croatia!

I will be awake to cheer them on too. Meanwhile I heard a lot of people bringing up the same concerns about Leo on the radio today. He is taking a beating right now.

ink
07-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Could someone please post the time the game will be on?

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Could someone please post the time the game will be on?

6am Eastern. I probably won't be posting during the first half, I will be half asleep

ink
07-18-2008, 12:16 AM
6am Eastern. I probably won't be posting during the first half, I will be half asleep

And at 3am PT I will be missing the entire game. :( I looked and I can't even see it listed so I could PVR it.

Bob_at_york
07-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Impressive effort early by Canada. Roko didn't play for the whole 1st quarter but when he came into the game in the 2nd, Crotia turned it up a notch. Also I think Roko got 3 defensive rebounds in two minutes.

Bob_at_york
07-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Maurizo is being interviewed in the 2nd quarter. Roko is leading his team in rebounds with 5 in 6 minutes.

Bob_at_york
07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
So Roko helped get Crotia a double-digit lead. Then after he went out they got the lead up to 20. My Dad called, he has pulled out the salami and cheese. I just hope he also brought out the bacon and eggs because I am going over there for breakfast.

argo
07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
sad day for Canadian basketball, looks like we'll miss another olympics. we couldn't even compete with croatia.

i've been reading Doug Smith's coverage of the team. sounds like the Dalembert situation was handled badly, and it's left a bad taste in the mouths of NBA agents... not that there are many Canadians in the NBA now or in the foreseeable future anyways.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

does anyone know why the team got rid of Jay Triano?

Goon.Weezy
07-18-2008, 02:26 PM
they might get rid of leo rautins now..i think they shud bring back jay triano

Bramaca
07-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Here's an article about Daly's side.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20080718_Dalembert_tells_his_side_in_Team_Canada_d ispute.html

"I'd be happy to represent Canada when things get more organized and structured," Dalembert said. "The guys [on the team] know I work hard. I wish them well, for Canada. I want them to win, to give Canada some pride, to go to the Olympics. But sometimes a man has to stand up."

Dalembert said it was "disappointing" that anyone would question his commitment to his adopted country, and to the team for which he has played in back-to-back summers after full seasons with the Sixers.

Dalembert said his so-called entourage included a close friend, his girlfriend, and his high school coach from Montreal and his wife.

"I don't have a 'crew,' " he said. "I have four nice people."

"Now I see why it has been so difficult to get [NBA] guys to play for Canada," he said. "I'm very disappointed. I know how to differentiate business and pleasure. This is children's stuff. I don't throw people under the bus. I don't trash the coach.

"But I read stuff that came from 'a source.' I like people to come forward. I heard that I'm a prima donna. Anyone who knows me knows I don't do that. I said I'd do anything to help raise money for Canada. I had one bad game, and I'm not committed? Please."

Looks like Leo might have to move on for any progress to be made with the national team.