PDA

View Full Version : Where is carlos delfino right now?

RaptorsFanCB4
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Anybody know if carlos delfino is going to remain with the raptors or is he a free agent still?

Ragun
07-01-2008, 11:49 PM
He is a free agent.

RoyHalladay#32
07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Delfino has a 2.7 mill contract on the table he can either take it or leave it. IMO Delfino likes it in Toronto but, if he is looking for more money he will go to Europe. It's pretty much up to Delfino at this point.

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 06:50 AM
The Raptors extended Carlos a 2.7 million dollar qualifying offer. This qualifying offer can be acepted by Carlos if there aren't any better offers, but by extending this offer, the Raptors changed Carlos's status from unrestricted to restricted, meaning that the Raps can match any contract offer that Carlos accepts from another team. For example, if the Spurs offer Carlos 4 years @ 5million per, and Carlos accepts, the Raptors are free to match that offer.

Mile High Champ
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Delfino has a 2.7 mill contract on the table he can either take it or leave it. IMO Delfino likes it in Toronto but, if he is looking for more money he will go to Europe. It's pretty much up to Delfino at this point.

i really want him back in the fold next year. he made a lot of progress last year and was maybe the best bench player we had last season.

_Sn1P3r_
07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't mind him coming back for us. He was solid off the bench.

Bob_at_york
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I seriously question how screwed the franchise would be by adding a 2.7 mil contract. Pay a little bit of tax, we aren't asking for another MLE player.

Mile High Champ
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I seriously question how screwed the franchise would be by adding a 2.7 mil contract. Pay a little bit of tax, we aren't asking for another MLE player.

agreed, for the 2.7 million, he is for sure worth that. He is a bargin.

Cortez
07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Nooooooooooo

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

I am pretty sure that BC would resign him for the qualifying offer, or even a bit more, if he could. But all indications are that Toronto will be bid out of their price range on Delfino- either by another NBA team or a European team, that BC can't overpay Delfino to come back to Toronto essentially as a redundancy.

Mile High Champ
07-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I am pretty sure that BC would resign him for the qualifying offer, or even a bit more, if he could. But all indications are that Toronto will be bid out of their price range on Delfino- either by another NBA team or a European team, that BC can't overpay Delfino to come back to Toronto essentially as a redundancy.

He is worth 3 million to be a key guy off our bench. I just think to negate what he has done in toronto is foolish. Bring back delfino.

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
He is worth 3 million to be a key guy off our bench. I just think to negate what he has done in toronto is foolish. Bring back delfino.

Obviously- thats what I just said. But he isn't worth 5-6 million to Toronto, which very well could be what he gets elsewhere.

Bob_at_york
07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Obviously- thats what I just said. But he isn't worth 5-6 million to Toronto, which very well could be what he gets elsewhere.

I don't think anyone will give him that much money.

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think anyone will give him that much money.
Maybe not, but this Toronto Star article says:

The one player who seems to be on his way out is restricted free agent Carlos Delfino. Because of financial constraints, and the desire to give coach Sam Mitchell a chance to establish a regular rotation, Delfino doesn't appear to have a future with the Raptors.

And because of those same issues, it's unlikely Toronto would entertain a sign-and-trade proposition for Delfino, who may end up heading to Europe, where he's sure to command a greater salary than he'll get in the NBA.

Other articles have indicated some serious European interest in Delfino, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a European team make a ~5 million dollar play at him, as I think he could end up making around 4 mill in the NBA.

RoyHalladay#32
07-02-2008, 04:13 PM
What does MLE stand for???

lapeapod
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I really hope that Delfino stays with Toronto because he's just a really nice team player. I looked at his stats and compared them with Mikael Pietrus and they are very close to being the same type of players. Both are just very talented with lots of upside being they haven't reached the peak of their potential yet.

Mikael Peitrus (26 years old) 6'6" tall, 215 pounds. Averaged close to 20 minutes per game last year with a scoring average of 7.2 points, and 3.7 rebounds. His Free Throw % is 67.4 and his 3 point % is 36.1.

Carlos Delfino (26 years old), 6'6" tall, 230 pounds. Averaged over 23 minutes a game last year with a scoring average of 9.0 points, and 4.4 rebounds. His Free Throw % is 74.4 and his 3 point % is 38.2.

Bryan Colengelo gave a qualifying offer to Carlos so he's not ready to just cut him loose just yet. The intangibles for Carlos is that he's tri-lingual (Italian, Spanish and English) so that just makes it really nice for Bargs and Jose to have someone to talk about soccer and other things in their native language. Carlos is all about team chemistry and you will never hear any players talking bad at Delfino.

argo
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
he was one of our best defenders, very streaky though. sometimes he looked pretty uninspired and would take some bad shots - not in rhythm and 5 feet behind the three point line.
still, if he leaves he'll be missed. he actually did a nice job bringing the ball up court once in a while, something we could use if we don't get a solid third-string pg.

JermanJaysFan
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
What does MLE stand for???

Mid-Level Exception. It is an exception to the salary cap that teams over the cap can use to sign free agents. It's what we used to sign Kapono last year. The maximum contract that can be given using the MLE is 5 years in length, and is valued as the league average salary- somewhere close to 6 million currently I beleive.