PDA

View Full Version : Spurs front-runners in race for Maggette

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag16qdna3NoGCNLoJGYUeic5nYcB?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs’ desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring.

BADizzleBoY
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
i didn't see this coming....

stawka
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh my God! This is a joke. Finley, Barry, Horry, Stoudemire now Maggette.

F the Spurs and their BS man!

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I just saw this. I was very shocked to see this..that would be very nice, it would certainly relieve pressure off Manu the most.

yaowowrocket11
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I wonder if that happens, what would happen to Bowen? And what would happen to the Spurs defensive game?

ArtVandelay
07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh my God! This is a joke. Finley, Barry, Horry, Stoudemire now Maggette.

F the Spurs and their BS man!

lets not forget kurt thomas, unless you were referring to him through barry. if it wasnt for thomas, the spurs may not have handled the suns so easily.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Damn the Spurs!:mad:

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I wonder if that happens, what would happen to Bowen? And what would happen to the Spurs defensive game?

Well it's possible for someone to become more defensive minded and work on that portion of thier game....i'm guessing defense would be the first thing they hammered in with Maggette if he does join the Spurs....

Oh....and i'm guessing they would just replace Finley with him....

Iodine
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Goddamn you RC and your amazingness DAMN YOU

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok guys, if Barry and Finley can play on the Spurs with their "D", Im sure Maggette will be just fine.

I still don't know whether this is true, I will just wait till Maggette actually signs, or it is confirmed that he will actually join us.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Nothing will happen to Bowen. I would expect Maggette to start in place of Manu, and Manu come off the bench again. I would love to see that, seeing as Maggette is a great slasher and great at getting to the FT line. If he could get the other team's bigs/perimeter guys in foul trouble, it would make it even easier for Manu.

yaowowrocket11
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Nothing will happen to Bowen. I would expect Maggette to start in place of Manu, and Manu come off the bench again. I would love to see that, seeing as Maggette is a great slasher and great at getting to the FT line. If he could get the other team's bigs/perimeter guys in foul trouble, it would make it even easier for Manu.

I am not so sure that Maggette could play SG. He is kinda big........6'6". But he is quick, so I'm not sure.

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow didn't expect this at all.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I am not so sure that Maggette could play SG. He is kinda big........6'6". But he is quick, so I'm not sure.

It really doesnt matter..he could start at SF, and Bowen be the SG. The reason it doesn't matter is because Bowen isnt a factor on offense anyway, except spotting up in the corner.

lakers4sho
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow if Spurs can actually pull this off. If Maggette wants to win, I think the Clippers wouldn't be so bad to him now if they sign both B-Diddy and EB.

Ragun
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
what? multi year MLE? hell naw. he is worth more.

Iodine
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
what? multi year MLE? hell naw. he is worth more.

Who is offering more?

thedfactor
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
This blows for me as a Mavericks fan...

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Man I would be very happy if we did this. C'mon Maggette..

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I just saw this. I was very shocked to see this..that would be very nice, it would certainly relieve pressure off Manu the most.

Haha, didn't you say in some other thread that the Spurs should offer him the MLE too.lol

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Haha, didn't you say in some other thread that the Spurs should offer him the MLE too.lol

Hell yes! I figured if he is considering taking the MLE we might as well. Damn, this is the best news I've heard the whole offseason so far.

ThE ShOw
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I hope it happens. Im a Laker fan, the west would be pretty tough, even more than last year if every team is healthy. Can the Spurs start Manu at SG?

Parker
Manu
Corey
TD
Oberto

Pretty tough line up

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Hell yes! I figured if he is considering taking the MLE we might as well. Damn, this is the best news I've heard the whole offseason so far.

God, don't you guys already have enough trophies? First you take T-Duncan(he was about to go to orlando when he was a FA) from us and now trying to get Maggette.

willie84
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
God, don't you guys already have enough trophies? First you take T-Duncan(he was about to go to orlando when he was a FA) from us and now trying to get Maggette.

LOL...You think the Spurs would of wanted to lose the most valuable player on their team? Anyways, anybody who will take the stress off Manu would be great.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I hope it happens. Im a Laker fan, the west would be pretty tough, even more than last year if every team is healthy. Can the Spurs start Manu at SG?

Parker
Manu
Corey
TD
Oberto

Pretty tough line up

If it happened, I dont see Manu starting again. Maggs and Bowen would start, and Manu would come off the bench again. If anything, Udoka's PT would be hurt the most IMO.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:30 PM

One more trophy never hurts:)

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
If it happened, I dont see Manu starting again. Maggs and Bowen would start, and Manu would come off the bench again. If anything, Udoka's PT would be hurt the most IMO.

I was curious on that, and it makes sense. Bring Manu in for firepower.

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
One more trophy never hurts:)

Boston vs San Antonio is the match I wanted to see this past season. Wonder if Boston can end the Spurs reign of winning in the finals next year?

albertc86
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Maggette will disrupt their team chemistry. He is a terrible fit for the Spurs. He's one-dimensional and a me-first type of player. He'll give them scoring but not much else. Just doesn't make any sense.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Maggette will disrupt their team chemistry. He is a terrible fit for the Spurs. He's one-dimensional and a me-first type of player. He'll give them scoring but not much else. Just doesn't make any sense.

If he acts that way with the Spurs, Pop won't put up with it. Guarenteed. That is what we need the most, scoring. Our defense wasn't the problem in the playoffs, it was scoring. If we can add someone who can score 20 + on any given night for the MLE, I call that a success.

ShakeN'Bake
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
This would be a great pickup for the spurs...It will be interesting to see what they can do with another scorer.

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Boston vs San Antonio is the match I wanted to see this past season. Wonder if Boston can end the Spurs reign of winning in the finals next year?

If our big 3 is completely healthy, anything is possible. :pray: The West will only get better and tougher.

willie84
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM

I was hoping for that too.

ThE ShOw
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah he is so selfish for wanting to take less money so he has a chance to win.

albertc86
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM

You know what I mean. He's a selfish player on the court. The deal hasn't even materialzed. Whether or not he accepts the MLE remains to be seen.

Leftcoast_yg
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
if the spurs get this expect way more haters, for every fan there is 3 haters, i know i am a laker fan

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
If our big 3 is completely healthy, anything is possible. :pray: The West will only get better and tougher.

Yeah the offseason is but young....the Suns, Rockets, Mavs, Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, CVlippers, and Warriors could all make some moves to further thier cause as the elite team in the West....if the Spurs pull this off then it will absolutely be a big filling of a need....and the Spurs made it to the WCF with a huge hole in thier team and Manu not totally healthy....so this is quite the move....it's also gonna be interesting to see what they do now that Thomas, Barry, Finley, and Horry are all now Free Agents....if they resign those guys or go after newer pieces....

JIDsanity
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Amazing roster if this happens and they get Diop.

Dirty Dirk41
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
ANYONE who see this potential signing as not a good fit is insane. Maggette is a scorer in the NBA an can give u 20 ppg NIGHTLY. if he went to memphis it would be a good signing for them so of course if the SPURS get em its HUGE...same goes for the celts who apparently have offer a contract to mr Cory aswell

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Amazing roster if this happens and they get Diop.

I dunno if they are gonna get him....I already heard they were about to offer a 3 year deal to Kurt Thomas....and all thier swing players are about to bolt out....they need shooting....

Chronz
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I hope he ends up a Spur, its the one team I can see him really thriving on

Rox07
07-02-2008, 12:06 AM

HAHAHA doesn't leaving his current team in order to play for a better team selfish? Your contradicting yourself.

Baronistheman5
07-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I think this would be dumb. Maggette on the Spurs? He needs to know if all he is looking for is a championship, then he needs to look else where. The Spurs are slowly losing it. They are getting up there in age and I really don't think Maggette will fit into their style of play. I don't see him as a half court player. He won't be able to use quickness to his advantage in a Spurs half court system and I don't seem him getting excited about playing defense. He wants to get payed, and enjoy the game, while competeing at a high level? then he needs to join the GS Warriors.

Hotone1401
07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Yea I agree that Maggette won't really help the Spurs. He can help with scoring but his game is predicated on one on one play. I just don't see it working. But I guess the Spurs have to do something seeing as how their chances of winning another title is closing fast. I see it as more of a desperation move and a last option.

matrixskillz
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
i hope he goes to magic, warriors, or sixers. the spurs and celtics can go F themselves!

Chronz
07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
I think this would be dumb. Maggette on the Spurs? He needs to know if all he is looking for is a championship, then he needs to look else where. The Spurs are slowly losing it. They are getting up there in age and I really don't think Maggette will fit into their style of play. I don't see him as a half court player. He won't be able to use quickness to his advantage in a Spurs half court system and I don't seem him getting excited about playing defense. He wants to get payed, and enjoy the game, while competeing at a high level? then he needs to join the GS Warriors.

You dont know Maggette, he doesnt NEED his team to play a fast pace to get to the line, he creates the transition opportunities himself, its why he always gets injured. He enhances ANY transition game of every team in the league even without them changing their philosophy in pace. The Clippers were one of the slowest teams in the league even with Maggette so the Spurs wouldnt be such a dramatic change. Hes used to sharing the ball and role for a teams overall success and if hes joining San Antonio then you know hes going to buy into their philosophy, if the Spurs got Glenn Robinson to calm down then Maggette should be no problem.

Hes played some pretty awful defense in the past but I doubt the Spurs are disinterested by it enough to not sign him, he provides alot of what they need and if he proves that this year was no fluke with his shot selection (38% from 3's) he will provide even more as a bonus. He will make them better period, but I dont know if he will make them SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Leftcoast_yg
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
You dont know Maggette, he doesnt NEED his team to play a fast pace to get to the line, he creates the transition opportunities himself, its why he always gets injured. He enhances ANY transition game of every team in the league even without them changing their philosophy in pace. The Clippers were one of the slowest teams in the league even with Maggette so the Spurs wouldnt be such a dramatic change. Hes used to sharing the ball and role for a teams overall success and if hes joining San Antonio then you know hes going to buy into their philosophy, if the Spurs got Glenn Robinson to calm down then Maggette should be no problem.

Hes played some pretty awful defense in the past but I doubt the Spurs are disinterested by it enough to not sign him, he provides alot of what they need and if he proves that this year was no fluke with his shot selection (38% from 3's) he will provide even more as a bonus. He will make them better period, but I dont know if he will make them SIGNIFICANTLY better.

so now he can run with the one man fast break tony parker in case parker misses the lay up he has maggette o clean it up or kick out to

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I hope he goes somewhere else, the Spurs are just so wack.. New Orleans or Orlando.. He should go back to Orlando..

TheNewbster
07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
C. Maggette I doubt would go to the Spurs; Having voiced their desire, Orlando would offer a similar MLE to him, and it's in his hometown. Furthermore, economically speaking, Florida is the state that doesn't institute an income tax, so a MLE is worth more in Florida. Hence, barring the Heat wanting him to play SF as an less-expensive alternative, where they can then also trade Marion for a center or what not (not a bad idea actually), Orlando is the place to be for Maggette for the state of Florida. He makes more money cause the lack of tax, he becomes the #3 scoring option by far (behind D. Howard and R. Lewis), and since Lewis loves to shoot 3's anyhow, Maggette gets to stick to his game of simply dribbling in to create plays. Maggette's ability to shoot the jumper consistently is limited. He's a slasher that gets to the free throw line. If he goes to the Spurs, he becomes the #4 scoring option behind Duncan, Manu, and Parker. Not that appealing. AND he gets less cause of tax, doesn't live with family, and is stuck in the West, where it's a crap shoot really.

cuttygiantsfan
07-02-2008, 03:06 AM
did i not just call this last night?

Cracka2HI!
07-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Im pretty sure that with the Clippers signing of Davis and hopeful re-signing of Brand we can't offer him any money. Not even the MLE. We can't S&T him either. I think we have to renounce his bird rights to sign Baron. So he has to stick to the MLE. Might as well go to the Spurs. I think the best fits for him are; Hornets, Spurs, Suns, Toronto, Dallas and Utah. So in other words he can go almost wherever he wants.

U1timateCubsFan
07-02-2008, 03:22 AM
wow I despise the spurs for being so damn great in the front office

Chronz
07-02-2008, 03:31 AM
so now he can run with the one man fast break tony parker in case parker misses the lay up he has maggette o clean it up or kick out to

Exactly its not like the Spurs dont want to run, theyve always gave TP the green light because they know with Duncan diminishing they wont be able to control the halfcourt game as easily as before so any easy bucket is a welcome bucket.

kobynum2417
07-02-2008, 04:00 AM
why cant my lakers get maggs

spurhead
07-02-2008, 04:46 AM
i expected this.. last yr the spurs were trying to trade for maggette by trade deadline involving brent barry i believe. now that he is a free agent spurs haev a great chance of getting him

only downside with him is he doesnt play d
but his offense is wat the spurs really need

lakerboy
07-02-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm calling this a bluff.

LakeShow
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
wow... if RC Buford pulls this office, he retakes the position of "best GM in NBA" over Kevin Pritchard...

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-02-2008, 07:46 AM
:cheers::pray: Someone that we could use so very desperately. We haven't had athletism since Stephen Jackson left.

TMAC94
07-02-2008, 07:48 AM
i want him too play at houston

futureman
07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't get how the spurs are the front runners when all they can offer is the MLE? 6 other teams that are interested can do the same thing.

TMAC94
07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
why would he join the spurs? he'll be behind Duncan, Manu and Parker as the option? he should go too houston play 30-35mins a game as the 3rd option and be starter :)

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM

Well seeing how Brand and Davis and Maggette may stay out their I can agree.

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Well seeing how Brand and Davis and Maggette may stay out their I can agree.

The Blazers are up and coming as well.

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Yea I agree that Maggette won't really help the Spurs. He can help with scoring but his game is predicated on one on one play. I just don't see it working. But I guess the Spurs have to do something seeing as how their chances of winning another title is closing fast. I see it as more of a desperation move and a last option.

How is it a desperation move? Our team doesnt need defense, we proved that against the Lakers. It is our offense that needs helping, and Maggette would certainly help that.

Again..if guys like Barry and Finley who aren't known for their defense, can play on the Spurs team for as long as they did, Im sure Maggette will be fine.

ewing
07-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Maggette is solid defender. I would guess that he will play mins at the 2 and 3 which would take some pressure off Manu and allow old man Bowen alittle more rest. The one thing I don't like about the move is the Corey isn't a excellent jumpshooter and I think SA really needs to spread the floor to be effective offensively

ewing
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM

He's played the 2 a bunch and is actually a disruptive defender from the spot b/c of his length and the fact that he is strong as a bull

ewing
07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I dunno if they are gonna get him....I already heard they were about to offer a 3 year deal to Kurt Thomas....and all thier swing players are about to bolt out....they need shooting....

3 years for KT? I don't think he has 3 years in the tank

marques724
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I still think he ends up east in Orlando

ewing
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM

If he wants to win a title the GS is the place to go:confused: Anyway TD was still very good the playoffs, Parker is at his peak, and Manu weather it was b/c of injuries or whatever played was a post season disapointment this year and they were still alot better team the GS.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
C. Maggette I doubt would go to the Spurs; Having voiced their desire, Orlando would offer a similar MLE to him, and it's in his hometown. Furthermore, economically speaking, Florida is the state that doesn't institute an income tax, so a MLE is worth more in Florida. Hence, barring the Heat wanting him to play SF as an less-expensive alternative, where they can then also trade Marion for a center or what not (not a bad idea actually), Orlando is the place to be for Maggette for the state of Florida. He makes more money cause the lack of tax, he becomes the #3 scoring option by far (behind D. Howard and R. Lewis), and since Lewis loves to shoot 3's anyhow, Maggette gets to stick to his game of simply dribbling in to create plays. Maggette's ability to shoot the jumper consistently is limited. He's a slasher that gets to the free throw line. If he goes to the Spurs, he becomes the #4 scoring option behind Duncan, Manu, and Parker. Not that appealing. AND he gets less cause of tax, doesn't live with family, and is stuck in the West, where it's a crap shoot really.

I agree in part, but the Spurs have been in the Nba Conference finals in 7 of the last 10 years. Have won 50 Games 3 years straight, have a possible opening at SG/SF depending on what happens. Your handling on Orlando is correct to a "T", because the East is weak. They are a 4 seed now, and maybe a three if Lewis actually plays to his card. But The Spurs are still a top three West team.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
i want him too play at houston

Houston has no friggin room for him. Where do you figure he'll play. Houston fans, are ridiculous. You have Battier, Tmac, who ever at PG, Scola at the 4, Ming at the 5. NO ROOM.

ManRam
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Houston has no friggin room for him. Where do you figure he'll play. Houston fans, are ridiculous. You have Battier, Tmac, who ever at PG, Scola at the 4, Ming at the 5. NO ROOM.

Yeah, and he wont turn down an offer from Orlando (where he wants to be), or Boston, Utah or SA (where he can win) to back up T-Mac and Battier. He isn't going to Houston, 100% sure.

Four teams have contacted Maggette...

Boston: If they sign Posey, Maggette wont go there
SA: Probably enticing, but no one knows if he wants to play there
Utah: Could use a starting SG, he would help a lot
Orlando: Probably the lesser of the 4, but it is Orlando, where his family lives, and he's made it clear he would love to play there.

He'll go to one of those teams. I can see N.O. offering a deal too.

LA_Raiders
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
More Offence for less Defence? Is that the Sburs plan? I like it, I'll be easier to beat them up...

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Source: Boston (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/)

"I was very surprised they called. They just came off a championship," said Maggette in a phone interview.

Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

Maggette to Boston would even make it easier for the C's to come out of the east again.

Jahari Kavi
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
why would he join the spurs? he'll be behind Duncan, Manu and Parker as the option? he should go too houston play 30-35mins a game as the 3rd option and be starter :)

nice try, but the spurs are "winners" meanwhile the rockets are an injury prone team who has yet to get past the 1st round................he might even start in S.A...........Manu can come off the bench like he has in the past....

Jahari Kavi
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM

trust me we would make room...............put battier to the bench............very simple solution..........plus tmac runs the point on our team so much that you could put tmac, battier, and maggete on the floor at the same time.............but this won't happen, because Maggete doesn't want to come here for the reasons I stated above.

ra8erfan111
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Where are u getting that from? We are still a defensive oriented team first, we are just tweaking our offense a bit so we can kick your --- this upcoming season. Oh, I guess Kobe can't win without Shaq (Kobe tell me how my --- taste-lol).

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree in part, but the Spurs have been in the Nba Conference finals in 7 of the last 10 years. Have won 50 Games 3 years straight, have a possible opening at SG/SF depending on what happens. Your handling on Orlando is correct to a "T", because the East is weak. They are a 4 seed now, and maybe a three if Lewis actually plays to his card. But The Spurs are still a top three West team.

Actually we've won 50 + games 9 years in a row, and 8 years of 55 + in a row:)

Iodine
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Actually we've won 50 + games 9 years in a row, and 8 years of 55 + in a row:)

:cry: why must you be so good?

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Says he will end up in Texas and most likely the Spurs.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329

Iodine
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Says he will end up in Texas and most likely the Spurs.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329
Well damn.

Spurs are like that monster that no mater how many times you kill it they come back :cry:

futureman
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Well damn.

Spurs are like that monster that no mater how many times you kill it they come back :cry:

Why don't they all just retire?

FromDallas
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Well damn.

Get use to it. They have the two most important positions filled for some time. As long as Parker and Duncan are playing they can fill the rest of their roster with whoever they want and they will be contenders.

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Get use to it. They have the two most important positions filled for some time. As long as Parker and Duncan are playing they can fill the rest of their roster with whoever they want and they will be contenders.

Very true and getting Maggette increases their window of opportunity for another 3 years.

futureman
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I say that window will be closed if they don't win a championship this next season.

Iodine
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Lol I love it I think the spurs are the greatest team the last 10 years its awesome

Just wish the sixers could do the same

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I say that window will be closed if they don't win a championship this next season.

Why? Our big 3 would be as old as Boston's big 3 was in this year's championship, and we would also have Maggette to help out the scoring even more. The Spurs can always go out and land a nice defensive player, on the cheap.

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe another reason we are the front-runners as well, is because of us previously trying to trade for him the last 2 years, and he likes the commitment?

ThE ShOw
07-02-2008, 06:19 PM
If Brand some how goes for the Extra 30 million the W's ar offering, I would expect the Clips to offer Corey more money.

City of Angels
07-02-2008, 06:19 PM
ahhhhhh i hate the spurs they better not get maggete.

*Superman*
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I never really had a problem with the Spurs, but now thats changed.

Joshtd1
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Shouldnt the problem be with Maggette if he decides to sign here......

Iodine
07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Shouldnt the problem be with Maggette if he decides to sign here......

That would require reasonable thinking josh

MikefromMars
07-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Why wouldn't he sign with the Spurs. They were a healthy Manu away from the WCF. If you add C-Magg, Manu can come off the bench again. People are acting like he will be the 4th option? I bet rarely will Manu, TP, Duncan, and C-Magg be on the court together. He will get tons of chances to get his. You think the Spurs care who is scoring. That is why they're so good. They buy into the idea of team basketball. You don't think TP doesn't pass up his looks to make sure their offense runs through Duncan. C'mon... I understand a lot of people hate the Spurs, but he will DEFN still get his shots. I don't see why he wouldnt take this chance. He fills SA's only real need. A lot of veterans go to SA to get rings and it works out for them. They get their ring. Next year is an odd year... if they add Maggette they are keeping the streak alive.

Red's Ghost
07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
MSNBC has Boston as the frontrunner for Maggette as of this morning which in some ways makes sense. Doc coached him before and they get along plus, Maggette says he would take less to win a ring, says he's made his money. But, won't know until he signs.

MikefromMars
07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I could see Boston. The problem is I don't see him starting there. He could go play for the Spurs and start. It would be hard to fit in with the Celtics starting line-up. I think if he is going to take MLE, it has got to be with a true contender. Boston, Cleveland, SA, or Pheonix.

TheNewbster
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
why cant my lakers get maggs

Okay, not exactly related to Maggette, but more towards the Lakers fans:

Can you please stop this stupidity? Everytime there's a FA or possible trade target Laker fans think the Lakers are THE destination. For goodness sake, the Lakers have no money right now to spend. Living in LA, I hear some of the stupidiest fans in the NBA... some just last year stupid fans on the Lakers radio network were even saying how King James would come to LA... are there any more stupider fans out there? Not everyone wants to come to LA and not everyone can fit into LA. Where the hell would Maggette play? Lamar is at SF where he belongs and Kobe is at SG where he belongs. Maggette isn't stupid and willing to take little money AND be a bench player. All the other scenarios with less money at least have him starting. End this travesty now and save your remaining brain cells.

Red's Ghost
07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
MSNBC has Boston as the frontrunner for Maggette as of this morning which in some ways makes sense. Doc coached him before and they get along plus, Maggette says he would take less to win a ring, says he's made his money. But, won't know until he signs.

Went back to look for the link but it's been updated this afternoon to say San Tonio is making a push, so who knows? Here's the link anyways:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24099667/

This AM I think they were suggesting Maggette in case Posey doesn't resign with Boston.

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Went back to look for the link but it's been updated this afternoon to say San Tonio is making a push, so who knows? Here's the link anyways:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24099667/

This AM I think they were suggesting Maggette in case Posey doesn't resign with Boston.

Maggette on Houston would make sense as well if he doesn't mind a backup role.