PDA

View Full Version : Furcal reinjures back... Ugh....

UCLADodger
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Furcal suffers what appears to be another setback
By Tony Jackson on July 1, 2008 5:00 PM

Not sure the extent of it, but we just learned he woke up this morning with more discomfort in his back. He was sent back to Los Angeles for an exam, which I guess will take place tomorrow. I'll have more when I know more.

UCLADodger
07-01-2008, 09:25 PM
HOUSTON -- Rafael Furcal is hurting again.

One game into his injury rehabilitation at Triple-A Las Vegas, the shortstop was sent back to Los Angeles for a medical evaluation after experiencing discomfort in his lower back when he awoke on Tuesday.

Furcal has a bulging disk in his lower back. Although he has been reluctant to discuss the possibility of surgery, that often is the course of action when conservative measures such as core strengthening do not resolve nerve pain.

Furcal, a free agent after this season, has been on the disabled list since May 6, missing 50 games through Monday night. The Dodgers are 20-30 in those games.

He missed the final 12 games of the 2007 season with the same lower back injury and aggravated it while making a spectacular defensive play against David Wright of the Mets on May 5. He went 1-for-3 with an RBI double starting for Triple-A Las Vegas on Monday night.

When Furcal went down, he was leading the club with a .366 batting average.

EKdodgr23
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Id bet the house Raffy has played his last game as a Dodger.

**** :(

Bushleaguer28
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
lets be honest - if furcal plays again this yr i will be surprised. I say he tries one more time, suffers another setback and opts for surgery.

southerndodgerf
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I am still asking how in the hell he played Winter Ball and no one noticed this.

EKdodgr23
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
because the bad mojo dont set in until the dodger blue hits your body

darth550
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
laughable!

Shawh
07-02-2008, 12:08 AM
If we sign him to a contract, he'll be on and off the DL. If we let him walk, he'll be a super star and put up monster numbers. Meanwhile we'll be without a SS.

LAdiablo
07-02-2008, 12:14 AM
the only positive i can think of is that maybe we get a break on resigning him?

bruinman7
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
i agree with shawh......is it just me or does anyone else think nomar and raffey are drinking some really crappy water because they get better and then reinjure themselves like 3 times every season since they became dodgers

nme
07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Well ****.

AZDodgersFan
07-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Furcal should consider a move to the outfield to extend his career and his back. Robin Yount did the same thing and added 9-10 years to his career. Chances are the Dodgers will not resign Furcal and he will end up burning us with his new team. Only sign Furcal for around 8 mil per season, because of the back issues.

dodgerblues
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I really hope Furcal will be a Dodger next season, we shelled out a lot of money for him and all he's done is tease us with what he could've done this season. There should be a clause or something that would let the club get some money back if the player gets hurt or plays a certain amount of games...

It really annoys me how a lot of money is wasted on players who don't even play. I don't remember a free agent on our team not hitting the DL for a long time. And the young players or veterans who have something to prove all seem to stay healthy all year... Hmm...

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 01:01 AM
What a nightmare..

c2thab
07-02-2008, 01:14 AM
As sad as it is, I am not surprised one bit! Now's the time to shop for SS if there are any!

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
****!

nme
07-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, the Pads might be looking to unload Khalil Greene, and while he hasn't exactly hit the covers off the ball this season, he did belt 27 HRs last year, not to mention he is a magician with the glove. Right now he's batting .29 with 8HR and 32 RBI, and his .631 OPS beats whatever POS SS Joe decides to roll out there every night. And I bet he comes cheap (probably Hu plus a lower level prospect, or maybe they'll take Proctor, they need bully help). For this season, at least, it's the best idea I've come up with, although it effectively means giving up on raffy, as Greene is signed through 2009 I believe.

UCLADodger
07-02-2008, 01:53 AM
^^^ I dont know if he comes cheap... inter divisional trades never do...

nme
07-02-2008, 01:58 AM
You're right UCLA. I'm just thinking here. But we need to do something.

Cadarn
07-02-2008, 02:15 AM
just another nedco bust

mcpeepants23200
07-02-2008, 04:04 AM
no thanks on Greene. I guess the Indians are trying to move Peralta. I wouldn't mind him if it cost us Hu and maybe Meloan or Orenduff. I really hope we don't move McDonald. He could be a very good and very cheap pitcher for a long time.

Jubiloman
07-02-2008, 05:00 AM
SS, 3B, CF, Ace pitcher. I give up. I don't think we will get to .500 at seasons end, but I will still root for them to do so. For trading purposes I would only protect Martin, Loney, Kemp and Kershaw from the "Youth Movement". Everybody else is up for grabs for any trade that will make the team better. I am very sorry to say that this year appears to be a bust. I have changed my stance on the Kemp issue however. I now say we should keep him. Wait until next year!! /and that is not to say that I wish with all my heart that the team will get into the playoff's this year, I just am a bit skeptical. Man I love the Dodgers, why does this happen to us every year?

DodgerHawk
07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Is there a reason (other than bad water, bad mojo, etc.) why so many Dodgers players are getting hurt? If you count up all the games not played by players the Dodgers were counting on over the last few years, it's staggering.

Seriously, what's going on?

BlueZoo
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, the SS problem is going to have to be handled pretty soon ,IMO. We can't go with a "just defense" guy forever on this team , not with our petty hitting. Maybe another team can, with power and some big guns on it, not the Dodgers.
The 3b problem , with us forever is not handled either, really...a nice job by deWitt for sure, filling in for (?), but .260 and falling fast ain't gonna get it, no matter how many people like him. Maybe Laroche is the guy, but let's face it- so far...ugh!
I was thinking, all the praise Logan White gets for developing the "great" flock of kids we have everyday in the lineup so far, of them all, only really Martin fits that slot. The rest, potential aside, are OK, but no more than other teams have , IMO. They seem to be all underachieving , if the hype is to be accepted and believed of the players they were supposed to be.
I guess it's all get to do with patience, and, hopefully, it will all eventually come to fruition, but pretty much every single ballplayer that comes up, or has any kind of shot in the ML, has potential, don't they?

dave
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Wilson 323 no homers, 2 stolen bases.
Bay 285 16 home runs.

We offer Xpual hitting 305 in vegas with speed and power.
May double a catcher with power [10 homers]
Russell Mitchell 23 year old third baseman hitting 270 with 8 homers.
minor leauge pitchers =
Pinango starter
Ordenuff starter
Torocco reliever
meloan starter reliever

and if needed Ethier!

Pitt gets a number of young prospects to build a real ball club afet having 20 stright losing seasons. and save a great deal of money.

we get Wilson to play short, and in bay some one who can hit 30 home runs.

c2thab
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
no thanks on Greene. I guess the Indians are trying to move Peralta. I wouldn't mind him if it cost us Hu and maybe Meloan or Orenduff. I really hope we don't move McDonald. He could be a very good and very cheap pitcher for a long time.

Peralta wouldnt be a bad choice considering he torched us in his visit to Dodger Stadium. Maybe he likes it here?

USCTROJANS21
07-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Lets just see what Glassiapara can do this weekend at SS and wait it out for Raffy.

davg31
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Is there a reason (other than bad water, bad mojo, etc.) why so many Dodgers players are getting hurt? If you count up all the games not played by players the Dodgers were counting on over the last few years, it's staggering.

Seriously, what's going on?

Joe Torre and company. Im a Yanks fan and we were hit by injuries all the time when he was with us. It could just be a coinsidence. I dont know.

Honestly, will Furcal be out for the year? i just picked him up in my fantasy team and i hope he should return soon-ish.

nme
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
^^Things don't look good for Raffy. And that's about all we know. Maybe surgery, maybe not. But an injury that initially was thought to cost him maybe a series or two has turned into 2 months with no timetable for return. Take from that what you want, that's really all any of us can do.

As for why so many Dodgers get hurt...

Stan mother ****ing CUnte.

Can we bring Frank Jobe back?