PDA

View Full Version : Leafs Sign Hagman

Halladay
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
It's being reported that Fletcher has signed Nicklas Hagman to a 4 year contract worth $12 million. I think this is a good signing, for $3 million a season Hagman is a good player. Possible replacement is big Nik is on the block? Hagman is a solid two way player who has good speed.

jaysfan4ever
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I like hagman as a player, but he projects to be a 3rd-liner, which blocks out our young players (earl, j.williams). And we still need at least one top-six forward. I just hope fletch can clean up this mess.

3rd line forwards: hagman-stajan-mayers, extras earl, jeremy williams

jaysfan4ever
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
personally i would've liked to see us sign vrbata at $3 mill a year as a top-six forward instead, because we have robbie earl to play on our 3rd line

jrice9
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I like hagman as a player, but he projects to be a 3rd-liner, which blocks out our young players (earl, j.williams). And we still need at least one top-six forward. I just hope fletch can clean up this mess.

nah that sportsnet thing that projects him to be a third liner was before last season. I bet you his stock is now a top 6 winger as he did score 27 goals last year

Ragun
07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I hope he can score goals for us next year.

McJoe
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM

personally i would've liked to see us sign vrbata at $3 mill a year as a top-six forward instead, because we have robbie earl to play on our 3rd line

Hagman is gonna be on the top line...he had 27 goals last year the same as Vrbata

and your 3rd line forward list is too shallow...really this what it should look like:
3rd line forwards:
Stajan
Ponikarovsky
Moore
Mayers
Devereux
Earl
Williams
Newbury

D-Train#35
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Stajans going to be on one of the top 2 lines for sure, I wouldn't name him a 3rd liner.

McJoe
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
^^well if Steen and Antropov are playing center then hes a third liner...and he only has a 3rd liners skill set so..............

jaysfan4ever
07-02-2008, 05:52 PM
hey, I wouldn't push hagman as a top-liner... probably a 2nd liner, I watched a couple clips of him, and I was very surprised by his stick-handling ability (based on the sportsnet projection, I expected him to have the offensive ability of a healthy tucker). If his offensive abilities hold up, this looks like a huge bargain. Anyways, Ron Wilson wants to play him on some sort of grind line. I was thinking the 3rd line with stajan and mayers, but the top-line with blake and antropov would work well too.

The thing is, we're still playing all 2nd line forwards on our top line. Ok, so our 2nd line will have Steen, Tlusty and Kulemin, who could develop as top-line guys, but can any of you see them as superstars in the future? We need a fairly young top-line forward, and getting tavares after next season is not even close to a sure thing. I think we need to trade our best assets that are expendable (antropov, kubina and steen come to mind) for blue-chip young forwards that have top-line talent.

jrice9
07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
taveras is more of a sure thing than whatever andropov kubina and steen could provide