PDA

View Full Version : Devils sign Brian Rolston

Do0msday
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Brian Rolston has accepted a four-year deal, worth $20 million from the New Jersey Devils.

He notched 31 goals and 59 points in 81 games with the Wild last year. Rolston has scored 30-plus goals in each of his last three seasons. He should fit nicely on one of the Devils' top lines and will likely quarterback the team's power play from the point with his booming slapshot.

Wow ... ok, I really like Rolston, don't get me wrong, but he's like 35 years old already. A 4 year deal for a 35 year old? That's a pretty long contract in my eyes. Would have much rather had a 2 year deal, guess this was the best we could do though. It could have been worse.

Jersey Mike
07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't know the specifics, but it is probably back loaded with a lot of incentive bonuses...

Do0msday
07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
An interesting fact I heard today. I heard that Rolston apparently got at least 15 offers today from teams wanting him. That's more than I expected. I figured there'd be a handful, but 15?? That's quite a bit. Hopefully he works out well for us. I think he'll mesh well here...again.

Do0msday
07-02-2008, 12:02 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=429969

Under CBA rules, all four years of the 35-year-old's contract will count against the Devils' salary cap even if Rolston decides to retire before it expires.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/07/holik_and_rolston_its_good_to.html

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello's heart may have stopped for a brief moment when he saw that the Minnesota Wild had traded forward Brian Rolston to the Tampa Bay Lightning. That gave the aggressive Lightning a chance to sign Rolston before he tested the market as a free agent.
"It gave a team an opportunity to sign him," Lamoriello recalled earlier tonight. "We couldn' make a call until 12:01, but Brian Rolston's agent was the first call we made."
Rolston, who had offers from 17 NHL teams, was thrilled and signed a four-year, $20 million deal with the Devils.
"I'm very very excited to be going back to New Jersey," Rolston said. "I started my career there."