PDA

View Full Version : Is Corey Maggette realistic...

Global Celtic
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
... or just a way to put pressure on Posey?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2008/07/celtics_make_of.html

futureheisman
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
NO He is a starting SG and play no defense. There not looking for starters there looking for guys that can come off the bench and contribute and give good minutes off the bench not someone who is looking for a huge max contract

tonyd3b54
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
theyre not looking for someone like maggette? then y did they offer him our full MLE? i think its realistic but unlikely i heard maggette will take less money but to play in orlando where his family is... but who knows maybe hell take less here too... we are the champs after all

op12
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
i really hope he does. i said in an earlier post that i think he would get a lot of minutes to let ray and pierce get solid rest throughout the season.

marques724
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
NO chance

kvrnm
07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
i highly doubt maggette will come to boston, but if he did it would be sweet

Corey
07-02-2008, 02:10 AM
NO chance

x2.

futureman
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
We never know. If the teams interested can only offer him the MLE he just may choose the reigning champs. And it's not like poseys phone hasn't been ringing off the hook either.

kazzy4080
07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
i was watching new england sports tonight and they think the C's r trying to trade allen and get maggette... i dont know if buy it

Corey
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
..Ray Allen?

kazzy4080
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM
yeah thats what they said

69centers
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Maggette's a 35MPG / 22PPG starter, so I don't see how we have room unless he's willing to take a huge minutes cut along with a big pay cut.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
i was watching new england sports tonight and they think the C's r trying to trade allen and get maggette... i dont know if buy it

Why would they want to break up the team..

69centers
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Who knows if it's Ray that's asking for a trade, as he has his ring now, and maybe wants to be the prolific scorer he knows he can continue to be on a team where he gets more touches than Boston.

kazzy4080
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Why would they want to break up the team..

i think they said something like ray is getting older and they should trade him while his stock is high after his performance in the NBA finals

Corey
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I understand the sentiment of trading Ray. He's the "third wheel" so to speak, but he's still incredibly productive when his shot's falling, and I'd want a slew of talent if we were going to trade him. I'd say we'd have to get at least a player that is more than capable of starting now, and a first or second year player with large upside.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
i think they said something like ray is getting older and they should trade him while his stock is high after his performance in the NBA finals

I think I would still want Ray over Maggette right now, but I can see where they are coming from Ray had a many stints in the playoffs in which he played old. So maybe Ainge would try to get a guy who can still play 4-5 good years with Pierce and KG. Would be interesting what goes down. I am not sure but it may be possible Maggette contract will (I think they have to sign and trade?) better too. They might be looking down the line at when they have to resign Pierce and KG, Ray might have been just to much money.

tonyd3b54
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
ya i wouldnt trade ray unless we get players back that can help us compete not only now but way into the future as well...

C-Webb
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't trade Ray for Magette for a number of reasons.

1 - Maggette is always hurt.
2 - Maggette plays the same game as Pierce. The Big three work because each has their own role. KG = Post, Pierce = Slasher/ Mr. everything, Ray = Shooter
3 - Maggette needs and wants a lot of touches. He doesn't fit in as third option like Ray does.

Not that I think this is actually the deal in the works, but if it was I think the C's actually get worse and (it is early to say this but) it would hinder the development of two rookies we drafted that I really like.

kvrnm
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
if we did trade ray to the clips, we should try to get someone young with lots of potential like al thornton.

Rhyming Rebel
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Quick trying to get every1 Celtics you already have a big 3

Global Celtic
07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
In the B.Globe:
"It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/?page=2

KmB728
07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Were not trading Ray Allen.....

id love Maggette on this team, but i dont think we need him...

since we only offered contratcs to posey and Maggette, does this mean Eddie House is gone?

raiderdell
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
it would be terrible to trade ray, but danny ainge was around when we kept the original big three too long, but Im not buying it after one season to break up a title team would be dumb, he will have to come and be our 6th man. if we can get him by by posey its been nice.

69centers
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
It seems like they can't sign both Posey and Maggette, so I think they're offering Maggette something if Posey leaves. Then, Maggette may have to take a 6th man role if Ray Allen stays. Maggette has to decide if he wants the pay cut and the minutes cut to be able to win a ring.

KmB728
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Where did everyone get this idea of trading Ray Allen

WillisLovechild
07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
NO He is a starting SG and play no defense. There not looking for starters there looking for guys that can come off the bench and contribute and give good minutes off the bench not someone who is looking for a huge max contract

that sentence alone shows how little you really know. hey brains mcgee, he's actually a starting SF who plays defense very well.

Global Celtic
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
In the B.Globe:
"It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/?page=2

Well, he'll probably end up in San Antonio...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgmM6133jErLWbzh2l.zTbS8vLYF?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That leaves us with some urgency in re-signing Pose, the Plan A after all.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
No Not Realistic.......i Think He'll Go To Clevland Watch Out!!!

CELTICS4LYFE
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
that sentence alone shows how little you really know. hey brains mcgee, he's actually a starting SF who plays defense very well.

hes a sf/sg.....on this team an most others he is a sg

WillisLovechild
07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
hes a sf/sg.....on this team an most others he is a sg

either way he plays good defense. on nba.com he is listed as just a foward, and he's also played SF as long as i can remember. im sure he can play the two, but his position is SF.

v3n0m
07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I think we might sign Corey Maggette but the bad thing is that Ray Allen will be getting less minutes so it will become a run between those two... :D

x_notorious
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
The Celtics are denying rumors that they have made an offer to free agent forward Corey Maggette, according to The Boston Herald.

Danny Ainge has reportedly placed retaining James Posey at the top of his offseason priority list, and a team source insists that no offer has been made to Maggette.

The only thing Boston can offer players is the mid-level exception, which they have offered to Posey.

Link (http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/53378/20080703/celtics_deny_making_offer_to_maggette/)

Corey
07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Good. Posey should be our first and only option at this point. We don't need to worry about any other contracts until something with Posey gets done.

Global Celtic
07-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I still have the feeling this aint gonna happen.
Maggette recently talked to Doc Rivers and Cassel and said he wouldn't mind back up Paul and Ray if he could get a ring. But I still feel that Danny was mainly trying to put some pressure on Pose and his agent, let them know there's someone else in the mix.
Maggette it's probably the ideal alternative, but just that: an alternative.
But if Pose ends up elsewhere... what a great signing it would be.

69centers
07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/04/rivers_gives_maggette_call/

I have a feeling that Doc knows Posey is gone. They wouldn't be pursuing Maggette this much, because if they resigned Pose, they couldn't afford to resign Maggette. One can only hope that if we lose Posey, Maggette decides to take a reduced role with us. If they both fall through, we'll have to search for another good 6th man.

Corey
07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/04/rivers_gives_maggette_call/

I have a feeling that Doc knows Posey is gone. They wouldn't be pursuing Maggette this much, because if they resigned Pose, they couldn't afford to resign Maggette. One can only hope that if we lose Posey, Maggette decides to take a reduced role with us. If they both fall through, we'll have to search for another good 6th man.

Like I said in the other thread..I think Doc calling him is more of a precaution than anything. They were already friends in the first place, so them talking isn't really that big of a surprise. We'll see what unravels on Wednesday.