PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Will Offer Maggette Mid-Level Exception

phlp_bj
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
The Magic are expected to offer Corey Maggette the full $5.8 million mid-level exception, according to a report in The Orlando Sentinel.

Maggette, who began his career with the Magic, has been telling friends that he would like to return to the franchise.

He is expected to receive a more lucrative offer from another team, and possibly go elsewhere as part of a sign-and-trade deal involving the Clippers.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-freeagent0108jul01,0,2366171.story

ManRam
07-01-2008, 04:48 PM
He says he wants to go to Orlando, now we'll see if he actually does. That's all Orlando can offer.

I'm praying he doesn't only care about money.

Iodine
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
If orlando gets him to play the two that linup scares the **** out of me

kswissdaf
07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
he wont take that money he is lookin for at leat 8-10 mill a year

ManRam
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM

He can get more money, but he has made it more than clear that he wants to play for Orlando, where he started, where his family lives, and where he wants to be. If he doesn't care about an extra 2-4 million a year, he'll go to Orlando. If he'd rather make more money, and play on a bad team, he wont. Simple as that.

I say there is a 50/50 chance he comes to Orlando.

ThE ShOw
07-01-2008, 05:01 PM

Where is he going to get it. If the Clips get Davis and Brand they won't do a S&T because they cant take back that Kind of money. The 4 options he has is MLE, go back to Clips for about 8 to 10 Million or go get paid from Philly or Memphis and those 2 teams are not showin interest in him. If Clips get Davis they wouldn't want him back.

juggla53
07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow orlando is really stacking up on wing players, they already have hedo and rashard (who really needs to move out of the four spot) and now they want maggette who would be a very good addition. Itd be nice to see them get an offensive minded Big to play with Dwight but there doesnt seem to be alot of them in this year FA crop.

NYMetros
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Let's see if he gets greedy and takes the bigger contract. IMO he should go to Orlando. They can be a winning team if he comes there. Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu, and Maggette would be a pretty good combo.

uptownfan
07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
The Magic will have a sweet lineup with Maggette, Howard, Turkoglu, Lewis

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
So the lineup would look like this:

Nelson
Maggette
Hedo
Lewis
Dwight

torontosports10
07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
a lot of teams will offer the full MLE tho

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I doubt Maggette takes it, nor do I think he's a good fit. If anything I think Orlando needs to find a starting PF and move Lewis and Turkaglu down a position.

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Dam, Orlando would be really good.

PAPPADIDDY85
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Mid-Day Report: LeBron and NYC

By: Jason Fleming Last Updated: 7/1/08 11:39 AM ET | 1169 times read
Increase Font Size
Decrease Font Size
Adjust font size:

LeBron Needs to Recognize: The latest furor over Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James choosing his favorite New York City borough (Brooklyn) has got to make him recognize a few things. First off, he needs to realize that anything he says New York City-related is going to be blown dramatically out of proportion by the media, fans, and anyone who hears the sound bite. Secondly, he needs to realize every time his name shows up in the media with a New York City link to it he's doing a disservice to his fans in Cleveland and to the Cavaliers franchise.

It's not entirely his fault give him the benefit of the doubt. James probably gave an honest answer to a loaded question without thinking too deeply about it when asked about his favorite borough. But he can control how this plays. The next time James gets asked something about New York he can chuckle softly, give a wry grin, and tell the questioner he'd simply rather not answer because no matter the answer it's not fair to the Cavs and their fans. He needs to admit to the questioner he can't win, and he needs to do it in a way that does not alienate New York while also indicating a strong relationship with Cleveland.

James has maintained all along he is a Cavalier and Cleveland is home, but in the next interview will say something in an answer that leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Maybe today James is thinking about the big city lights, but if he is he should keep that exclusively to himself, because there are at minimum two more seasons where his NBA paychecks will be signed by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Two seasons is a long time and a lot of things could happen to change all sorts of minds.

LeBron James needs to recognize all of this he's a smart guy and all parties involved here, including the Cavs, know he's a smart guy and recognize what he can do to stay out of this media mess. It's not healthy for him, the Cavs, or their fans, and for two more seasons (minimum) that should be all that matters.

ManRam
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
a lot of teams will offer the full MLE tho

Yes, but most of those teams that can offer the MLE are bad teams. They also are teams that aren't where his family lives, and aren't where he wants to be. Orlando is where he said he wants to play. We'll see how money interferes with that. If he takes any MLE deal, it will be from Orlando.

I doubt Maggette takes it, nor do I think he's a good fit. If anything I think Orlando needs to find a starting PF and move Lewis and Turkaglu down a position.

There is no quality PF on the market that really is worth the MLE IMO for the Magic. Yes, they need size, but Battie is coming back (great fit), and every indication says that Otis and SVG are fine with Shard playing the 4. Our biggest need is SG. We don't have a starting SG. We have a starting PF, and a quality backup PF, but we don't have a starting SG. I'd rather play big, and move Shard to the three, but playing Hedo at the two is worse than playing Shard at the 4. Shard is 6-10 after all. Shard will continue playing the majority of the time at PF, although Battie will allow us to go bigger.

I want Maggette...bad. Our only need after that would be a back up PG...maybe another bench big man...although that is more of a luxury than a need.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Come back home Maggette!

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Damn..I hope the Spurs atleast throw the MLE out there then..

Tblaze
07-01-2008, 05:46 PM

I agree fully :clap:

they don't need another wingman. they'd have 3...

fishfan79
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
go for the money stay in the west!

T.O-Fan
07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
how much was his contract paying him when he optioned out?

LakeShow
07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
This is probably just posturing. Maggette is indicating that he wants to go to Orlando (maybe even take the MLE) and Orlando Magic are indicating that they want him (offering the full MLE). Now, the Clippers have to see if they want to try to retain, let him go for nothing, or try to arrange a sign-and-trade.

I have a feeling that they're going to try to sign-and-trade Maggette to Orlando.

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
If the Clippers get what they want Maggette will have made a very bad move. We're trying to get Davis and re-sign Brand. That would leave Maggette with no alternative but take a MLE offer. I'm sure he thought he could get a S&T or re-sign with us for atleast 4 years 9-10 million per year.

ManRam
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I agree fully :clap:

they don't need another wingman. they'd have 3...

Three? I count two. Rashard and Hedo. Who's the third?

The Magic don't have a starting SG. Maggette plays SG. Therefore, it's a good fit.

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 07:13 PM
If the Clippers get what they want Maggette will have made a very bad move. We're trying to get Davis and re-sign Brand. That would leave Maggette with no alternative but take a MLE offer. I'm sure he thought he could get a S&T or re-sign with us for atleast 4 years 9-10 million per year.

I'm not sure who would be better if that happens. If Baron and Brand resign would Maggette put the Clippers over the top or would Maggette put the Magic over the top?

K2OB4E
07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Maggette if you are going to take the MLE go to Boston.

6 man of the year, getting minutes behind PP and RA

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Maggette if you are going to take the MLE go to Boston.

6 man of the year, getting minutes behind PP and RA

Why not go to Cleveland?

lakerboy
07-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow. I'm sure he was expecting a Rashard Lewis like contract.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
how much was his contract paying him when he optioned out?
He was about to get payed 7mill when he opted out.

RocketsRule
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
If he signs, great move. However, you need to look in to trading either Lewis or Hedo then for a PF. Lewis just doesn't fit there.

stawka
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
If orlando gets him to play the two that linup scares the **** out of me

Same... But I love it!

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Three? I count two. Rashard and Hedo. Who's the third?

The Magic don't have a starting SG. Maggette plays SG. Therefore, it's a good fit.

Maggette plays SG? He is a SF I thought

HOZ THE KNICK
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
he want's to play in orlando anyway good move.

Iodine
07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Maggette plays SG? He is a SF I thought

He can play both wings

TMAC94
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
i say he should come too houston for the MLE and come win the championship next season

K2OB4E
07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
i say he should come too houston for the MLE and come win the championship next season

If McGrady is there they won't get out of the first round :D

Reezy
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I think everybody keeps forgetting that Maggette has family here in Orlando and has even stated that he wants to play for Orlando.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Like almost every athelete now a days, it's all about the money. Other then the few that want to win championships and could care less about the money, they will go for the bigger contract regardless

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 10:55 PM

You guys win the championship with the state the west is in right now? Good luck passing the 1st round.

ARMIN12NBA
07-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Yes, but most of those teams that can offer the MLE are bad teams. They also are teams that aren't where his family lives, and aren't where he wants to be. Orlando is where he said he wants to play. We'll see how money interferes with that. If he takes any MLE deal, it will be from Orlando.

Dude, what are you talking about? Any team that is over the cap can offer the MLE, which is pretty much every single team. The Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, Hornets, etc. can all offer their MLE. I don't consider those bad teams....Do you?

ManRam
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Dude, what are you talking about? Any team that is over the cap can offer the MLE, which is pretty much every single team. The Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Rockets, Hornets, etc. can all offer their MLE. I don't consider those bad teams....Do you?

I know. I take it back. I posted that before I knew the Celts and Spurs had interest.