PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Brewers leader in CC sweepstakes

nickymintz
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin laughed Monday when asked if his team really was the leader in the C.C. Sabathia Sweepstakes. "Just the same old rumors," Melvin said. ESPN's Buster Olney has ranked the Brewers first among the teams most likely to trade for Cleveland's big lefty, the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner. Olney cited other team sources and noted that the Brewers have the motivation to make such a move and the prospects to land a big fish such as Sabathia.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=767719

DamnGoat
07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
So they're going to give up a ton of prospects for a less than half a season rental?

It's not like CC will re-sign w/Milwaukee.

yojoe792
07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I still think he winds up with the Yankees, receiving an extension of 6 years $100+ million.

The Brewers just don't have the cash to to give him the money he wants. The just gave Braun an extension, and I think they still have Fielder to worry about.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
If this is the case, then enjoy your half season rental Milwaukee:D

Brew Crew
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Do you guys read the part of the article that was posted first? Sabathia isn't coming to Milwaukee, and if they think they'll be getting LaPorta, Gamel, or anyone noteworthy from our orginization (Mainly AA) they're going to be very dissapointed.

pavel96
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
i see him goin to NYY for a lot of money $$$ 150 mil maybe

brewersfan729
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
So they're going to give up a ton of prospects for a less than half a season rental?

It's not like CC will re-sign w/Milwaukee.

Yeah it's not like we would get draft picks to replace the prospects we lose or anything. We did the same thing last year with Linebrink and got a ton of draft picks losing both Linebrink and Cordero to restock the farm system.

zambo4president
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
yeah he would never resign in milwaukee
who the **** wants to live in wisconsin

L-MiLLZ44
07-01-2008, 05:42 PM
C.C. won't be traded, he'll test the market and the Indians will get two first round draft picks

TheShock45
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
well im pretty sure the brewers hold the top 2 prospects in baseball so either give up JUST 1 of them straight up for cc

or dont give up either of them

anyway i think CC will end up somewhere big Boston, LA, LA, Philly Somewhere that can pay alot of money and have the best shot as a championship

Brewers looked to be blocked by 2 teams (STL and CHI) so they would have the leave chance of making the playoffs

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
David Ortiz does..

Anyways, I'd place a couple bucks on C.C. not being a member of the Brewers on August 1st. I could really see him remaining an Indian and have them take the picks.

yaowowrocket11
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Ben Sheets and Sabathia. What a 1-2 punch. That would give the D-Backs a run for the best SP duo.

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Ben Sheets and Sabathia. What a 1-2 punch. That would give the D-Backs a run for the best SP duo.
If only the D-Backs had either of these two. :laugh2:

OnWisconsin2007
07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
The MLB board here is a bunch of Cubs fans bashing everything. And of course they out number everybody. Saw it in the Braun thread, and you see it here. "who the **** would want to live in WI?" Brett Favre. Enough said.

brewersfan729
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Imagine if we still had Gallardo.:(

C1Bman88
07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
well im pretty sure the brewers hold the top 2 prospects in baseball so either give up JUST 1 of them straight up for cc

anyway i think CC will end up somewhere big Boston, LA, LA, Philly Somewhere that can pay alot of money and have the best shot as a championship

Brewers looked to be blocked by 2 teams (STL and CHI) so they would have the leave chance of making the playoffs

:confused:

I'm assuming you're talking about Gamel and LaPorta. Those aren't the top 2 prospects in Baseball. In order to get quality, you need to give quality. I could see Gamel being moved for Sabathia, along with a few others, but not LaPorta.

mawp
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
The MLB board here is a bunch of Cubs fans bashing everything. And of course they out number everybody. Saw it in the Braun thread, and you see it here. "who the **** would want to live in WI?" Brett Favre. Enough said.

Favre didn't choose to live (or play) in Wisconsin. That's just who happened to trade for him, and although he probably lived there during football season he went back to Mississippi or wherever the hell he's from.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I would love to see Sabathia come here but not for the price of a giving up a good prospect. He comes to Milwaukee though that would be a sick Rotation, like stated earlier just think if Gallardo was still in there :cry:

Cubsjunkie
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM

Don't generalize. I have a cottage up in Wisconsin and I go there frequently and love the nature up there. Except for the mosquitoes. Too many damn mosquitoes for my liking in Wisconsin.

chicagofan71
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Imagine if we still had Gallardo.:(

well if you had Gallardo, I doubt you'd be going after CC

Uncle Funster
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
One point: Why would an organization with no chance of re-signing CC give up the talent required to make the deal for what is, in actuality, a 1/2 season rental?

There are only a few teams who can afford his free agent price and we all know who they are.

Havoc Wreaker
07-02-2008, 02:04 AM
One point: Why would an organization with no chance of re-signing CC give up the talent required to make the deal for what is, in actuality, a 1/2 season rental?

There are only a few teams who can afford his free agent price and we all know who they are.

Yes sir, The Rays, The Marlins or The Pirates :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

brewersfan729
07-02-2008, 02:24 AM

Because we would get two draft picks in return if we did trade for him and to help re-stock the farm system? And this is from the same team that has produced Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Yovani Gallardo, Manny Parra, J.J. Hardy, Corey Hart, Matt LaPorta, Mat Gamel, Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, Cole Gillespie among others. They know how to draft.

Brooke
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Um I do and plenty other people do. Wisconsin isn't so bad

don't underestimate the Brewers and what they might do to make the one big trade that could put them in the post season

Favre didn't choose to live (or play) in Wisconsin. That's just who happened to trade for him, and although he probably lived there during football season he went back to Mississippi or wherever the hell he's from.

Maybe so but Favre has made it clear more than once he loved playing in Green Bay

Uncle Funster
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Because we would get two draft picks in return if we did trade for him and to help re-stock the farm system? And this is from the same team that has produced Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Yovani Gallardo, Manny Parra, J.J. Hardy, Corey Hart, Matt LaPorta, Mat Gamel, Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress, Cole Gillespie among others. They know how to draft.

OK. But then aren't you trading current, proven prospects for new and unknown ones? It still doesn't make sense to me.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Um I do and plenty other people do. Wisconsin isn't so bad

don't underestimate the Brewers and what they might do to make the one big trade that could put them in the post season

Maybe so but Favre has made it clear more than once he loved playing in Green Bay

Eh outside of a weekend golf outing in Milwaukee or a weekend at the dells I'll stay out of Wisco esp in that winter bleh

ShinobiNYC
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Some people here don't understand how much it will take to get CC even just for 6 months. The Indians won't let him go easily. Not only will they lose him but they would lose the draft picks too.

torontocubs
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
You have to look at it from Cleveland's perspective. If They Trade Sabathia they need to get Two stud prospects in return, because they will have the opportunity to draft them. On top of that, they are going to ask for atleast 1 or two more prospects in return to make up for the fact that they will have basically written off the season. At that point it will hard for any team to part with likely 4 quality prospects for a guy that might not re-sign with them. Granted you can look at it that the team getting him only technically looses two prospects, because they will get the draft picks if he walks, but regardless they still will have lost two proven mlb ready players for question marks. The draft is a crapshoot after all. So in terms of a deal getting done, if it's not with the Yankees, or one of the big Market teams in California, or maybe the Cubbies or White Sox, it isn't likely to happen.

torontocubs
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Just a note, I would love to see Sabathia in the NL regardless of where he winds up. Anyone see him hit that absolute BOMB in interleague. Can't remember who the Indians were playing, but he pulled a pimp-job on that home run that Manny Ramirez would be proud of. He literally smashed the ball, stopped and stared. Something like 440 Feet.

brewersfan729
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
OK. But then aren't you trading current, proven prospects for new and unknown ones? It still doesn't make sense to me.

No prospect is proven until they prove it in the majors.

mmmdelish
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
some brewer fans on this forum are dumb,one came to the bluejays forum talking about a trade of roy halladay for bill hall tony gwynn jr and michael brantley

Smithy04
07-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I would like to trade for C.C. as long as we wouldn't give up Yovani Gallardo or Matt LaPorta like some trade rumors that I've heard. Milwaukee could possibly give up Gamel (a AA Offensive Stud), Tony Gwynn Jr., Bill Hall, and a prospect or two. Hopefully, we could reach a verbal agreement or a contract agreement that C.C. would sign a deal to stay with us after this season was over.

MrBloop
07-03-2008, 12:30 PM

I noticed he left the Yanks off his list there.

The A Team
07-03-2008, 03:50 PM

Well to be fair Cleveland is not so different.

PhillyRocks
07-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Well to be fair Cleveland is not so different.
Good one. You see he really wants to leave there.

He is going to Philly. NY won't give up the prospects if they did they would have Santana. Count the Yanks out right there. Brewers have a good squad and a great ML system. However CC will not sign an extention there.

How are the Brewers going to afford both CC and Sheets? Lets not forget that they would be getting low first round picks and have to pay them also.

brewersfan729
07-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Good one. You see he really wants to leave there.

What the hell are you talking about? He never said he wants out of Cleveland, it's just that Cleveland can't afford him and they're not in contention so they can trade him for good prospects that will soon be able to contribute instead of having to wait until next June and then waiting a few more years for those prospects to develop.

He is going to Philly.

Link please?

Brewers have a good squad and a great ML system. However CC will not sign an extention there.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? We know he won't sign an extension here and we know we wouldn't be able to afford him. What we will do is strengthen our team this year, let him sign with somebody else and take the picks. We did the same thing last year when we traded three pitching prospects for Scott Linebrink. Let him walk and take the picks.

How are the Brewers going to afford both CC and Sheets?

Umm we're not. Again, take the picks after the year.

Lets not forget that they would be getting low first round picks and have to pay them also.

So what? Low first round picks still have a lot of value. We got J.J. Hardy and Yovani Gallardo in the second round. They must suck though because they weren't high first round picks. Hell you can find guys late in the draft and have them become really good major league players. Corey Hart (11th round) and Manny Parra (26th round) are the perfect examples of this on the Brewers.

If the Ken Rosenthal report that came out last night is true that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta plus for Sabathia right now, that offer is going to be very tough to beat.

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
If the Ken Rosenthal report that came out last night is true that the Brewers are offering Matt LaPorta plus for Sabathia right now, that offer is going to be very tough to beat.

Where did you read that? ESPN, just curious. That does sound like a pretty convincing offer considering the talent LaPorta has. To me this deal doesn't make sense. I don't know why these teams would rip their farm system apart for a guy that might play in their uniform for 3 months versus a guy or guys that might be in those uniforms for many years.

The Sabathia 'trade' seems really far fetched, because I just can't see any team really going after the guy if they can't resign him. A) It will seriously deplete the farm system, I know you get the picks, but odds are you aren't going to replace a guy like LaPorta. B) I would have to think that isn't a fan friendly move unless you really start winning, because If you trade the farm away for a guy, and then he walks, fans are going to be upset, and that does matter.

I think the Brewers management is too smart to make this move. I really am expecting him to wind up in either LA with the Dodgers, in a trade that likely involves Kemp, or a deal to the Yanks that would probably ship Hughes the other way. Simply because like he has said, he wants to play in California, or rock the Yanks hat like in the picture.

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Just curious, does he have any form of non-movement clause? Or is it in the Indians sole discretion. Because thats one side no one is talking about. I would think he would ask the Indians to only move him to a team that can re-sign him.

brewersfan729
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Where did you read that? ESPN, just curious.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8311012/Sources:-Brewers-making-serious-run-at-Sabathia

I don't know why these teams would rip their farm system apart for a guy that might play in their uniform for 3 months versus a guy or guys that might be in those uniforms for many years.

We wouldn't be ripping apart our farm system. LaPorta has a ton of talent, no question but we still have a ton of hitting prospects in Gamel, Gillespie, Green, Cain, Salome, LuCroy and hopefully Lawrie etc.

A) It will seriously deplete the farm system, I know you get the picks, but odds are you aren't going to replace a guy like LaPorta.

Never know who you can get. You can get really good talent anywhere in the draft if you have good scouting. The Brewers have some of the best in the league.

B) I would have to think that isn't a fan friendly move unless you really start winning, because If you trade the farm away for a guy, and then he walks, fans are going to be upset, and that does matter.

The Brewers have gone 26 years without making the playoffs. Fans would be more pissed if we're sitting 4.5 games out of the division and 2 games out of the wildcard and the team did nothing or went after some guy like Randy Wolf, a slight upgrade to Dave Bush but still mediocre.

I think the Brewers management is too smart to make this move.

The Brewers have already made a move like this. Last year they traded three pitching prospects (including their third best prospect in Will Inman) for a rental of Scott Linebrink. We let him walk after the season and took the picks. I doubt they would have a problem doing that again, this time for a much better player.

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't disagree I suppose with the Playoff comment. LaPorta is still what the 1st or Second prospect in the Brewers farm according to BA correct. I just don't understand this from a business aspect. I mean I don't know if the Linebrink example doesn't perhaps make them consider not making the move.

It should be interesting. Alot of teams will be in the hunt for him, and I am not sure that LaPorta may be the best piece in return.

Only time will tell, what the hell do we know.

viktor06
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
LaPorta and Escobar would be one heck of an offer....I dont see anyone beating that

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
LaPorta and Escobar would be one heck of an offer....I dont see anyone beating that

Still so early to tell. If the dodgers threw out Kemp, I don't think the Indians would even hesitate compared to LaPorta. Kemp is major league proven stud. He is a corner stone for any team moving forward, would be a great step in the right direction for Cleveland, Grady and Kemp in the outfield.

Just throwing out the Devils Advocate, certainly seen rumors floating around with Kemps name out there.

viktor06
07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Still so early to tell. If the dodgers threw out Kemp, I don't think the Indians would even hesitate compared to LaPorta. Kemp is major league proven stud. He is a corner stone for any team moving forward, would be a great step in the right direction for Cleveland, Grady and Kemp in the outfield.

Just throwing out the Devils Advocate, certainly seen rumors floating around with Kemps name out there.

Not sure about that. He's struggling a bit, honsetly I wouldnt be surprised if Indians prefered LaPorta instead. It would come down to the other pieces I guess. But Dodgers are a very logical team to be interested