PDA

View Full Version : If Baron Leaves, Monta Should Go Too.

ejdacanay
07-01-2008, 02:50 PM
We should try to find S/T for both of the players, especially knowing that Nelson will be leaving in a season (maybe two). Monta will be the Warrior PG for the future when Baron leaves and Monta does not excel at the 1. His halfcourt game is terrible as he can not utilize his speed like he did in Nelson's open court system. His passing skills and ability to create plays are not of point guard caliber. If worse comes to worse and we can not find a PG for the future, I honestly rather trade Monta then let him be the PG of a halfcourt Warriors. Get full value for him while he is in demand

It's getting fairly obvious that Baron does not want to stay. Him getting denied of an earlier Long Term Contract and a possible feud with Nelson could factor in to his decision to opt out. His desire to move back to LA is also a huge factor if we were not to sign and trade him. We should try to move him instead of letting him walk away and get nothing in the process.

garlicboy
07-01-2008, 02:54 PM
We should try to find S/T for both of the players, especially knowing that Nelson will be leaving in a season (maybe two). Monta will be the Warrior PG for the future when Baron leaves and Monta does not excel at the 1. His halfcourt game is terrible as he can not utilize his speed like he did in Nelson's open court system. His passing skills and ability to create plays are not of point guard caliber. If worse comes to worse and we can not find a PG for the future, I honestly rather trade Monta then let him be the PG of a halfcourt Warriors. Get full value for him while he is in demand

It's getting fairly obvious that Baron does not want to stay. Him getting denied of an earlier Long Term Contract and a possible feud with Nelson could factor in to his decision to opt out. His desire to move back to LA is also a huge factor if we were not to sign and trade him. We should try to move him instead of letting him walk away and get nothing in the process.

Sorry Ed,
I have to disagree with you on this one. I think we give Monta a shot at the PG position. He's only 22 and can improve. If he stayed in school, he'd be coming out of college as Junior with Richard Hendrix!!! At worse you have an undersized SG who shoots 53% from the field, Grabs 5 boards and gets 5 assists. He's Iverson with a better attitude, better work ethic, and better shot selection.

garlicboy
07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Tony Parker is a shoot first PG and he is one of the league's best. In fact few would argue that Monta is better than Parker as a scorer.

ejdacanay
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I do agree that he can improve, but the thing I am very scared about is his transition from an open court game to a slower paced half court game. I really do not believe that his ability will be the same once we go back to a slow tempo, half court game with other teams.

GIANTS15
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Tony Parker is a shoot first PG and he is one of the league's best. In fact few would argue that Monta is better than Parker as a scorer.

wow monte will never be liek iverson even with his poor work ethic ..one thing you cant take away is iverson is a balls out warrior who gives it his all...if monte turns out to be 75% as tuff as iverson i would be thrileld...

one thing you forgot to mention is that the one thing that kills ellis as a pg is his decision making and ball handling...let alone the 0 defense elliss provides against top tier pg.

ellis developement has been great because he hasnt had to play the pg spot so let him continue to grow as you said as a smaller sg with major scoring skills like iverson.

garlicboy
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
wow monte will never be liek iverson even with his poor work ethic ..one thing you cant take away is iverson is a balls out warrior who gives it his all...if monte turns out to be 75% as tuff as iverson i would be thrileld...

one thing you forgot to mention is that the one thing that kills ellis as a pg is his decision making and ball handling...let alone the 0 defense elliss provides against top tier pg.

ellis developement has been great because he hasnt had to play the pg spot so let him continue to grow as you said as a smaller sg with major scoring skills like iverson.

I agree and admire Iverson's warrior ability. You have to have a lot of pride to be a warrior like him, but that pride also hurts. Iverson shot way to many 3's in his career, shooting in the low 30% range. He also shot poorly from the field in the low 40% range.

Ellis decision making IS FAR SUPERIOR to Iverson's. You don't shoot 53% from the field without making good decisions and taking good shots. Monta also stopped shooting 3's. However, his work on shooting on the corner 3(shorter than the regular 3) is a testament to his smarts and decision making. If he is going to shoot a 3, it's going to be the corner 3, which is at a shorter distance than from the wing or top of the key.

garlicboy
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I do agree that he can improve, but the thing I am very scared about is his transition from an open court game to a slower paced half court game. I really do not believe that his ability will be the same once we go back to a slow tempo, half court game with other teams.

I think Tony Parker and Allen Iverson have both proved that a quick slasher can excel in a half court setting. You make it sound like he scores all his points on fastbreaks. He's got that deadly 15-18' jumper.

By the way, who say's we're going to slow it down??? If Keith Smart is the heir apparent head coach, I think we're still running and gunning.

ejdacanay
07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I think Tony Parker and Allen Iverson have both proved that a quick slasher can excel in a half court setting. You make it sound like he scores all his points on fastbreaks. He's got that deadly 15-18' jumper.

By the way, who say's we're going to slow it down??? If Keith Smart is the heir apparent head coach, I think we're still running and gunning.

I want to slow it down. I hope Avery is there next year, also the Coaching Pool should be fairly appealing w/ maybe a few firings and a few expiring contracts.

garlicboy
07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I want to slow it down. I hope Avery is there next year, also the Coaching Pool should be fairly appealing w/ maybe a few firings and a few expiring contracts.

We're not slowing down the offense. Mullin is our GM and pulls the trigger on trades and draft picks. We just drafted a 6'10" guard. We have an anorexic Power Forward and a skinny running Center. Most games are played in a halfcourt set, it's just that we utilize quickness and mismatches. This is old Celtic style basketball theory, nothing new.

Conor
07-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Why trade your best young player when your best vet just left you, especially when they're both guards? I'm sorry, but your logic fails here. If Monta can't develop into a PG, then we'll sign or trade for one. It's not hard.

OneOpportunity
07-02-2008, 12:50 AM
we would get destroyed if we slowed it down. The only way we change our style/change into a half court team is if there is a COMPLETE overhaul of our team. Our team just isnt built (especially with no Baron) to run a half court offense 100% of the time. And Smart wont change up the run and gun style too much (assuming he becomes the coach). If management does decide to switch up the game style then i agree we should be looking to trade Monta along with probably some other players. But since i firmly believe we will be sticking with this style (or something close to it) for awhile then it doesnt make sense to move Monta. I see your reasoning for doing it though

ejdacanay
07-02-2008, 01:15 AM
we would get destroyed if we slowed it down. The only way we change our style/change into a half court team is if there is a COMPLETE overhaul of our team. Our team just isnt built (especially with no Baron) to run a half court offense 100% of the time. And Smart wont change up the run and gun style too much (assuming he becomes the coach). If management does decide to switch up the game style then i agree we should be looking to trade Monta along with probably some other players. But since i firmly believe we will be sticking with this style (or something close to it) for awhile then it doesnt make sense to move Monta. I see your reasoning for doing it though

well with a Baron S/T i was hopign it would help that transition. apparently that is shot now, but with about 2 drafts and 3 free agencies (this years included) we can certainly turn that around easily.

Why trade your best young player when your best vet just left you, especially when they're both guards? I'm sorry, but your logic fails here. If Monta can't develop into a PG, then we'll sign or trade for one. It's not hard.

Why? This is why:

Most Improved Last Season
Another Great Improvement Year

Sell High, Buy Low. Goes for all sports. I really don't see us going back to Run'N'Gun once Nelson leaves. If Keith is hired then he may not go back to Run'N'Gun as you all think. He may leave at that for awhile, but eventually he will slow down the tempo. He's been here before Nelson returned and when he was with the atrocious Cavs he did it slow tempo.

Manny23
07-02-2008, 02:15 AM
i dont think monta is a good PG he can develop into an all-star PG it will take a few years... also he is an unsized SG and doesnt play great D also cant shot the 3 ball...but we should keep him because he has alot of upside to him

kntresistheheat
07-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Would you guys do a S/T for marion and we recieve Ellis and pietrus? And if that's to much how about haslem and marcus banks for Ellis and harrington??

The was a report that Ellis would like to go to miami to play alongside wade!

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Would you guys do a S/T for marion and we recieve Ellis and pietrus? And if that's to much how about haslem and marcus banks for Ellis and harrington??

The was a report that Ellis would like to go to miami to play alongside wade!

Give me some of what your smoking!!! It must be Bomb-Diddly Good!!!

HOZ THE KNICK
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
i heard ellis wants to play in other places and golden state is not 1 of them it's seem like mullin don't know what the hell hes doing.

Saltinuts40
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
If we are getting nothing for Baron, we will not move Ellis for something, because we won't get even compensation.

***** rebuilding. We have been rebuilding for 14 f*cking years. I have season tickets, I want to opt out.

ejdacanay
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
If we are getting nothing for Baron, we will not move Ellis for something, because we won't get even compensation.

***** rebuilding. We have been rebuilding for 14 f*cking years. I have season tickets, I want to opt out.

I can buy some tix off of you. Foreal though

garlicboy
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
i heard ellis wants to play in other places and golden state is not 1 of them it's seem like mullin don't know what the hell hes doing.

We can match any offer

Tmac416
07-02-2008, 02:24 PM

oh really that goes aginats EVRYTHING being reported hear on the west. OR the fact that anytime mullen gets achance, he syas again and again that ellis is not going anwyehere. or the fact that ellis siad he wants to be here. but either way. I cant wait for like in two weeks when the normal warriros fans ar back on here

Tmac416
07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Aaron (Davis, CA): Do you think Monta Ellis can be a full time PG?

David Thorpe: Without doubt

Tmac416
07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
haha
Bob akron: What do you think of the Cavs and Heat being interested in acquiring Monte Ellis from the Warriors.

Chad Ford: I'm not sure why Cavs fans keep sending this. They have a zero shot of getting Ellis. He's a restricted free agent. The Warriors point guard just signed with the Clippers. They will match any offer.