PDA

View Full Version : We Need Matt Holliday, It's That Simple.

Dodger_fan
07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Holliday has hit his stride and has become one of the most consistant hitters in the NL, and I know this will induce the rash of comments on the benefits of Coors Field but if that was really the case there would be more guys hitting over .300 than just him. The only problem is who would we have to give up and would it come back to haunt us since its in the division.

c2thab
07-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Holliday has hit his stride and has become one of the most consistant hitters in the NL, and I know this will induce the rash of comments on the benefits of Coors Field but if that was really the case there would be more guys hitting over .300 than just him. The only problem is who would we have to give up and would it come back to haunt us since its in the division.

That would be my only problem with this deal cause you know it would center around Matt Kemp and with the luck we have I am almost certain it would haunt us! Not to mention the addt players they would want.

Dodger_fan
07-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I know, Matt Kemp if he ever grows up will be an awesome player but Holliday is a leader in the club house and thats something the Dodgers don't have at all. At the rate he's going Kemp will never be a leader.

Malone for Pres
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
The only way that the Rockies would ever trade Holliday away to someone else in the NLW is if we blew them away with a trade proposal. No thanks.

swells2048
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
It depends on what we give up. I'd be ok with a Ethier, Meloan, McDonald type deal.

For those that rip on his away stats, .280, 30, 126 over the last 3 years. That is a drop off from his home stats, but that doesn't suck. However, being a .236 hitter at Dodger Stadium isn't great.

How much longer does he have on his contract? He makes 9.5 mil, and he is 28.

c2thab
07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Our leader was supposed to be Torre and it dont look like he's doing that job to well. We should just trade for Maddux and have him be our pitching coach/team leader! And spot starter if needed! Nobody would F with the "Mad Dog" :D

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
I know, Matt Kemp if he ever grows up will be an awesome player but Holliday is a leader in the club house and thats something the Dodgers don't have at all. At the rate he's going Kemp will never be a leader.

Not to be an *******, but how do you know that? Are you in their clubhouse from day to day? It's okay, I'll wait:D

bestlakersfan
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
It depends on what we give up. I'd be ok with a Ethier, Meloan, McDonald type deal.

For those that rip on his away stats, .280, 30, 126 over the last 3 years. That is a drop off from his home stats, but that doesn't suck. However, being a .236 hitter at Dodger Stadium isn't great.

How much longer does he have on his contract? He makes 9.5 mil, and he is 28.

These are all the reasons I say no.

".280, 30, 126 over the last 3 years". Do you what that averages out to?

.280 Avg. 20 HRs 84 RBIs per year. I am not a huge Ethier fan, but I'm pretty sure he could easily put those type of numbers up easily. And then to trade Meloan and McDonald with him to get this guy?

Ohh, and he is 28 and makes $9 million a year? Imagine if Ethier made $9 million a year, our brass would get ripped for that. Plus Ethier is 26 and making about $400 K. Holiday is not the answer. If we are to make a trade it needs to be for an absolute star. And trust me they would ask more than this package.

dodgers07champs
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
No way in hell does Colorado trade us Holliday..plus, we would have to give up players like Kershaw and Kemp to get him, who would later haunt us for years to come. I would love him, but Colorado would trade him to a team outside of the NL West.

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Already been stated the Rockies will demand "an extra piece" trading with anyone in the division.

swells2048
07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
These are all the reasons I say no.

".280, 30, 126 over the last 3 years". Do you what that averages out to?

.280 Avg. 20 HRs 84 RBIs per year. I am not a huge Ethier fan, but I'm pretty sure he could easily put those type of numbers up easily. And then to trade Meloan and McDonald with him to get this guy?

Ohh, and he is 28 and makes $9 million a year? Imagine if Ethier made $9 million a year, our brass would get ripped for that. Plus Ethier is 26 and making about $400 K. Holiday is not the answer. If we are to make a trade it needs to be for an absolute star. And trust me they would ask more than this package.

I didn't clarify but his age and salary were a negative. I would prefer him over Dunn though.

4everblue
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
His home vs away numbers are kind of different, and his numbers at DS suck. He would be an improvement over Ethier, but I dont see us trading for him unless we trade Pierre first.

Dodger_fan
07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Not to be an *******, but how do you know that? Are you in their clubhouse from day to day? It's okay, I'll wait:D

The only people who know for sure are the players themselves, but the media ha s apretty good idea of whats going on there. Both Ken Gurnick and Ken Rosenthal have said it in the past. Last year it was evident by the rift between Kent and Kemp and this year it was obvious by Kemp's comments after the no-no as well as the revolving door between the bench and the DL.

grizz8884
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
The only people who know for sure are the players themselves, but the media has a pretty good idea of whats going on there. Both Ken Gurnick and Ken Rosenthal have said it in the past. Last year it was evident by the rift between Kent and Kemp and this year it was obvious by Kemp's comments after the no-no as well as the revolving door between the bench and the DL.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. According to the media, it certainly isn't worse than last year. But then again, how do I know?

For what it's worth though, I don't think Holliday is the answer. Pick your poison: Awful Home/Away splits or the fact that he is a Boras client (we have too many already!)

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
The only people who know for sure are the players themselves, but the media ha s apretty good idea of whats going on there. Both Ken Gurnick and Ken Rosenthal have said it in the past. Last year it was evident by the rift between Kent and Kemp and this year it was obvious by Kemp's comments after the no-no as well as the revolving door between the bench and the DL.

Quote? I'm reading his comment after the game, wasn't bad at all. There hasn't been any talk of rifts in the team or anything like that. Where are you getting this from?

Ken Rosenbag has no business talking about the Dodgers, let alone baseball.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
won't happen. in division and he's a pretty average hitter outside of colorado.

Dodger_fan
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote? I'm reading his comment after the game, wasn't bad at all. There hasn't been any talk of rifts in the team or anything like that. Where are you getting this from?

Ken Rosenbag has no business talking about the Dodgers, let alone baseball.

Its not that what he said was bad, it was his excitement about winning and being no hit, thats not exactly a win to be celebrating. Thats what the reporters were commenting on. And weather Rosenthal is qualified to comment on the Dodgers or not, he's still got more access than any of us have so why shouldn't you believe him? it sounds like you just dont want to admit that this teams shortcommings are not for lack of talent but for lack of leadership. Torre and Bowa can ride there A S S E S but he cant make them play balls out on the field, another player can though.

Tymathee
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I agree. I always wonder what Torre is thinking sometimes. He was an under .500 manager before coming to the Yankees. But then again...Joe Girardi isn't doing a stand up job in NY and no one wanted to keep gumby from last year so...i guess we're stuck.

GHGHCP
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Its not that what he said was bad, it was his excitement about winning and being no hit, thats not exactly a win to be celebrating. Thats what the reporters were commenting on. And weather Rosenthal is qualified to comment on the Dodgers or not, he's still got more access than any of us have so why shouldn't you believe him? it sounds like you just dont want to admit that this teams shortcommings are not for lack of talent but for lack of leadership. Torre and Bowa can ride there A S S E S but he cant make them play balls out on the field, another player can though.

Track record? You know most of his "insider information" is his opinion right? He is just as big a hack as Perry. You said the team has no leaders on it when it has been stated by the team there are ones, the two biggest leaders are Martin and Furcal (Jones was another one but the only thing he led was an eatting contest). Can they really help it when the team has 82 million on the DL, Pierre as the leadoff hitter (and in the lineup), a 40 year old Kent and a huge SS hole. No amount of leadership or other intangible bull$h!t will get us through that mess.

Link me something that says there is a rift in the clubhouse this year as I haven't seen anything.

Bushleaguer28
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Matt Holliday will not be traded - guaranteed.

Tapptout
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
And if he is, it will not be the too a division rival...

AZDodgersFan
07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I believe that the Cards will be the leader for Holliday and get him at the deadline. Better options for the Dodgers are Bay or Nady. Nady has better lifetime numbers at Dodgers Stadium, then Bay, but both are very good extra base hitters and would help the Dodgers this year and next. We might even be able to get Jack Wilson added in for shortstop depth. Who knows!

adealstimson
07-02-2008, 12:59 AM
We need Garrett Atkins if anybody from Colorado..

UCLADodger
07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Looks like the angels are in on him....

UCLADodger
07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, residing in Orange County, California, are currently the second-worst run producers in the American League. That they have the second-best win percentage in the junior circuit is a testament to their superb pitching staff, led by John Lackey and his 1.44 ERA, though with about 40 fewer innings than most of the team's other starters.

They'd like to add a bat before the trading deadline, though there are a few problems with that. Take, for instance, Ken Rosenthal's report that they are interested in Rockies left fielder Matt Holliday. In order to fit him into the scheme, the Angels would have to somehow unload Gary Matthews Jr, who is owed $33 million from 2009 through 2011. That's not an easy proposition, considering the 2006 fluke is hitting just .239/.318/.361.

According to Rosenthal, this Matthews situation means that the Angels would have to go even further with their prospects and cash in order to make a deal. This might indicate that the team will stand pat and rely on its pitching going forward. Former GM Bill Stoneman was never one for a mid-season move, and his replacement Tony Reagins has expressed similar sentiments.

The Rays could also look into acquiring Holliday, which would round out a stellar outfield. They have more than enough on the farm to get something done. Both teams could also look into Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Ken Griffey Jr., or Adam Dunn.