PDA

View Full Version : Would the Clippers be a contender if Baron Davis signs and Elton Brand resigns??

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not certain on the Clippers financial situation, but lets' say the Clippers resign Brand and at the same time they get Baron Davis. Would they be a contender out west?

PG BDavis
SG Mobley
SF Thomas
PF Brand
C Kaman

Now if they were able to sign Maggette as well it would look like this:

PG BDavis
SG Mobley
SF Maggette
PF Brand
C Kaman

Is it even possible to resign Brand and get Bdavis and then still have enough to sign Maggette at this point?
If so, how good would that team be?

carter15
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
if they got davis and brand theyd be contenders for a playoff spot..but i dont think there better then the top teams in the west
p.s. i think thornton will be starting for them at SF this year..he was very solid last year as a rookie...just a hunch.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
In the rare possiblity that they resign both Brand and Magette, the only way the would get Baron is if he takes a paycut.
If all of the above happens, I see them going deep into the playoffs, barring any major injuries

pebloemer
07-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not certain on the Clippers financial situation, but lets' say the Clippers resign Brand and at the same time they get Baron Davis. Would they be a contender out west?

PG BDavis
SG Mobley
SF Thomas
PF Brand
C Kaman

Now if they were able to sign Maggette as well it would look like this:

PG BDavis
SG Mobley
SF Maggette
PF Brand
C Kaman

Is it even possible to resign Brand and get Bdavis and then still have enough to sign Maggette at this point?
If so, how good would that team be?

The Clippers won't get Davis Maggette and Brand, maybe two of the three. And you can add Gordon and Thorton to the depth chart. As previously posted, Thornton should be starter this year over Thomas.

rriders9
07-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't think the owner of the Clippers ownership would be willing to pay that much money to sign both Brand and Davis, let alone Maggette, Besides maggette and Dunlevey don't have the best relationship so he probably won't sign with the Clippers again

juggla53
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
If they got davis and brand that would be a major upgrade, and would deffinatley contend and would be right in that 3-6 spot if everyones healthy, thorton is going to be a good player and i think gordon has an allstar game or two in his future.

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think the owner of the Clippers ownership would be willing to pay that much money to sign both Brand and Davis, let alone Maggette, Besides maggette and Dunlevey don't have the best relationship so he probably won't sign with the Clippers again

I agree. Baron is going to get $17 million a year to start. I don't think our owner will do it. I also am not sure if its even possible for us to sign both Davis and Brand let alone Maggette. Sicne Brand and Maggette opted out I don't think we can go over the salary cap to sign them. So if we sign Davis we will only have like $8 million more to sign Brand. Now if we can go over the cap it would be pretty awesome if we signed all 3. However I am pretty sure we would go over the cap to sign Baron and Brand. If Baron gets 17 and Brand 15 we would be about $7 million over the cap which is still under the luxary tax. We were over $10 million over the cap last season.

Anyone know if we can go over the cap if we can over the cap to sign Brand or Maggette since they opted out?

daleja424
07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
If Brand is looking to be a contender... hes looking at the wrong team.... If he can fin his way on to Miami then he has a chance to get to the finals... but staying in LA or going to philly or memphis isn't going to do it...

Joshtd1
07-01-2008, 02:15 PM
If they were able to get Davis and Brand I really think they would be contenders.

Davis/Mobely/Thorton/Brand/Kaman. Good mix of scoring and defense there.

dre1990
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I've herd on the radio from inside sorces that the clippers are not intersted in Baron. I have no idea why

daleja424
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I've herd on the radio from inside sorces that the clippers are not intersted in Baron. I have no idea why

b/c they know they cant afford him...

kylem4711
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I think they would be. that is very very talented team.
and thornton is a started next season. gordon back up 2 or point and homefully the will sign udrih or arroyo or telfair.

I like reachin for the stars

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I think Thornton would start over Thomas.

vince wilfort
07-01-2008, 04:01 PM
They would be. Maybe not this year, but for years to come. Brand, Davis, Thornton, and Kaman are all pretty young, so they'd have a solid core. They wouldn't have too much money for the bench eventually though, but they'd certainly make the playoffs.

hockeypro68
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I pray every night before I go to sleep now that the Clippers sign B Diddy and resign Brand. Clipper fans have been waiting for another legit team and a playoff run!

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I pray every night before I go to sleep now that the Clippers sign B Diddy and resign Brand. Clipper fans have been waiting for another legit team and a playoff run!

Imagine a Clippers vs Lakers 1st round matchup. Who would have homecourt?
:D

futureman
07-01-2008, 04:17 PM
If Brand is looking to be a contender... hes looking at the wrong team.... If he can fin his way on to Miami then he has a chance to get to the finals... but staying in LA or going to philly or memphis isn't going to do it...

As far as i can remember Miami was the worst team in the league. If anything Brand in miami isn't going to do it.

Chronz
07-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes they can sign them both and Baron isnt going to get 17Million from anyone, but Brand will have to take a paycut

arlubas
07-01-2008, 04:54 PM
If we can get two out of the three I'll be very happy. I can't see us getting all three not in our wildest dreams. They way I see it is we resign Brand and then try to get someone else from the FA pool, not necessarily one of the two mentioned above however.

king4day
07-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Imagine a Clippers vs Lakers 1st round matchup. Who would have homecourt?
:D

I think the Lakers would have home court the entire series. Lakers fans would pay up the wazoo for tickets and have more of their fans than Clips for the entire series.

I think they'd be a top 4 or 5 team.
Lakers are too deep, so the Clips won't lose the division, but they can get a 4 or 5 and really challenge. They'd be a hybrid team a really good offense and really good defense.

It's actually a joke they play in the same arena. Much like the Jets and Giants. To think someone has to sacrafice a 'home' game to play in the same arena as someone else.

NYMetros
07-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, they would definitely be contenders IMO if they can get Baron and Brand. If they can get Maggette back, then they may be a powerhouse in the west. I don't know if they will be able to afford that or not though.

PAPPADIDDY85
07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Mid-Day Report: LeBron and NYC

By: Jason Fleming Last Updated: 7/1/08 11:39 AM ET | 1169 times read
Increase Font Size
Decrease Font Size
Adjust font size:

LeBron Needs to Recognize: The latest furor over Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James choosing his favorite New York City borough (Brooklyn) has got to make him recognize a few things. First off, he needs to realize that anything he says New York City-related is going to be blown dramatically out of proportion by the media, fans, and anyone who hears the sound bite. Secondly, he needs to realize every time his name shows up in the media with a New York City link to it he's doing a disservice to his fans in Cleveland and to the Cavaliers franchise.

It's not entirely his fault give him the benefit of the doubt. James probably gave an honest answer to a loaded question without thinking too deeply about it when asked about his favorite borough. But he can control how this plays. The next time James gets asked something about New York he can chuckle softly, give a wry grin, and tell the questioner he'd simply rather not answer because no matter the answer it's not fair to the Cavs and their fans. He needs to admit to the questioner he can't win, and he needs to do it in a way that does not alienate New York while also indicating a strong relationship with Cleveland.

James has maintained all along he is a Cavalier and Cleveland is home, but in the next interview will say something in an answer that leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

Maybe today James is thinking about the big city lights, but if he is he should keep that exclusively to himself, because there are at minimum two more seasons where his NBA paychecks will be signed by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Two seasons is a long time and a lot of things could happen to change all sorts of minds.

LeBron James needs to recognize all of this he's a smart guy and all parties involved here, including the Cavs, know he's a smart guy and recognize what he can do to stay out of this media mess. It's not healthy for him, the Cavs, or their fans, and for two more seasons (minimum) that should be all that matters.

zambo4president
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
they wud be like a 6 or 7 seed

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the Lakers would have home court the entire series. Lakers fans would pay up the wazoo for tickets and have more of their fans than Clips for the entire series.

I think they'd be a top 4 or 5 team.
Lakers are too deep, so the Clips won't lose the division, but they can get a 4 or 5 and really challenge. They'd be a hybrid team a really good offense and really good defense.

It's actually a joke they play in the same arena. Much like the Jets and Giants. To think someone has to sacrafice a 'home' game to play in the same arena as someone else.

Its actually not a joke at all. The Clippers sell out all the time and draw 5 times more fans than they did at the Sports Arena.

As far as us being a contender I would say its up in the air. If we stay healthy and everything goes perfect sure, but that has never happened for the Clippers, so I don't really think like that. If everything goes well we will have as good of an 8 man rotation as there is in the league.

PF Brand
SF Thornton
C Kaman
SG Gordon
PG Davis

SG Mobley
PF Thomas
PG Knight/Livingston/Free Agent

We would also have 2 or 3 other young guys who would develop into solid role players on a team like this.

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I also gotta say the PTI guys know nothing about Basketball. They all predicted Brand will change teams which is fine, but 2 of them predicted Washington and they all basically ignored what has been reported on their own network all day.

daleja424
07-01-2008, 05:31 PM
ESPN doesnt speculate. they report what they hear. So when people throw smoke screens ESPN doesnt try to see through them like "analysts" do. Its the same with everything. An agent or player throws up smoke and ESPN reports one thing and then the opposite happens...

hyp21
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
NO. They would go to the playoffs. but I don't think Baron paired with Brand would take the west over the likes of the spurs, lakers, and so many others. Now I'll change that tune if the clippers went all out and got Shawn Marion. They'd be hell to deal with then with:

Baron
Mobley
Marion
Brand
Kaman

That's a nasty azz lineup

daleja424
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
As far as i can remember Miami was the worst team in the league. If anything Brand in miami isn't going to do it.

hmmm lets see. They will have a healthy wade back (he was the BEST player in the league in 06 and the beggining of 07...how quick we forget), Michael Beasley (the most talented player in the draft and a lock to average at least 18/8 next year), and will have a thrid all star (whether that is Marion or Brand remains to be seen), plus they play in the east... how are they not in a better position to win then the clipps?

BigDaddyKaine
07-01-2008, 05:39 PM
In the rare possiblity that they resign both Brand and Magette, the only way the would get Baron is if he takes a paycut.
If all of the above happens, I see them going deep into the playoffs, barring any major injuries

they have the best possibility to sign both brand and davis

Deep into the playoffs...NO this would not make them better than the
Lakers
Hornets
Spurs
Jazz

will they get a playoff spot with davis and brand... yes but there will not go deep into the playoffs

BigDaddyKaine
07-01-2008, 05:42 PM
NO. They would go to the playoffs. but I don't think Baron paired with Brand would take the west over the likes of the spurs, lakers, and so many others. Now I'll change that tune if the clippers went all out and got Shawn Marion. They'd be hell to deal with then with:

Baron
Mobley
Marion
Brand
Kaman

That's a nasty azz lineup

How the hell would they get Marion without giving up Brand:confused:

TheNewbster
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Brand said he would resign if the Clippers got another top-quality player (preferably at PG). Being always a team player, Brand from what I've read would willing take a minor pay cut to get a good player such as Davis in.

At this point, you have a pretty good big-man/guard combo that a team would need. As for C.Maggette, it would be awesome if the Clippers could do a sign-and-trade and pick up a contribution player...maybe (long shot) Hedo Turk from Orlando? That's the best hope for the Clippers

Can they compete? Yes, but who knows how far, and who knows if any of this will occur.

Also, in all the things I've read, you guys forget the 2nd round pick by the Clippers in DeAndre Jordan. This guy was at one point projected as a lottery pick. Granted, he fell off, but if as a 2nd round pick, he gets no guaranteed contract, and I don't see why the Clippers wouldn't throw him a contract to simply see if he pans out. This guy could become the big man off the bench that the Clippers need.

But to end this, let us not all forget that we're talking about the Clippers. Knowing our luck, even as a fan, I'll see them sign Davis, but after a 82 game season, he'll play only 60 next year.

HouRealCoach
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Kaman, Brand, Thornton, and Davis....Gordon, Mobley, Knight, and Thomas

This would be a team and Thornton should start no matter who signs with Clippers

Baronistheman5
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
They would not be contenders. Baron would hurt himself by reaching for that shot of whisky, i mean for that basketball. Also Brand is coming off that injury so you never know with him and i don't find anyone on that team being a consistent dominant player. The Lakers got Kobe, Hornets got Paul, Spurs got Duncan, and even the rockets with Yao and Tmac can't get out of the first round. Good Luck LA Clippers.

Let Baron go and Bring Brand or Agent 0 to the bay

TheNewbster
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
well, it's official, Davis to the CLippers, as reported by ESPN. supposedly Brand going to agree quickly and they'll renounce Magette

mvp24crc
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
are u 4real maybe next year lmao they will be good thiz year & years 2 come

thiz a laker fan saying thiz !!!!! welcome bacc clippers

HOZ THE KNICK
07-01-2008, 09:57 PM
the lakers will still be better.

KNICKSFAN
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
the lakers will still be better.

Hopefully not. I wanna see more tears on the lil bandwagon Laker fans' faces.

BostonPothead
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I say yes......Baron Davis is top 5 p.g, Brand is top 5 PF. Kaman produced last season without brand next to him and is capable of averaging a double-double. Add Cuttino, rising al thorton, and rookie eric gordan and that isnt a bad Sqaud..I say they need backup help up front, but if they can stay healthy theyll do damage, not a title THIS YEAR, but kaman, brand, davis, gordan, is a nice team to build around

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Wonder how long it take for Brand to sign now?

GSW Hoops
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Contenders? They were one of the worst teams in the league last season, and I'm not sure how much Baron Davis you guys have watched in the past year but he isn't a savior. He couldn't even get us into the postseason last year. And now that he's locked up long-term, he'll dog it--look for the 35-games missed Baron to return before long.

I love the guy, but there's a reason the Warriors wouldn't lock him up for more than a year or two.

The Clips will definitely contend for a playoff spot but title contender, no way.

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Contenders? They were one of the worst teams in the league last season, and I'm not sure how much Baron Davis you guys have watched in the past year but he isn't a savior. He couldn't even get us into the postseason last year. And now that he's locked up long-term, he'll dog it--look for the 35-games missed Baron to return before long.

I love the guy, but there's a reason the Warriors wouldn't lock him up for more than a year or two.

The Clips will definitely contend for a playoff spot but title contender, no way.

That's because Brand was injured last year. The year before is a better indication of the Clippers. Also now BDavis will sign and Kaman has gotten a whole lot better. They will be a 6th seed out west I think.

Jamesfrom818
07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Something is going to hold this team back. Its either Dunleavy or Clippers karma. I'm leaning towards the latter.

ARMIN12NBA
07-02-2008, 02:02 AM
The Clippers had 27 million dollars of cap space before signing Baron and they signed Baron to a 13 million dollar a year contract. They have 14 million dollars left and that is surely enough to resign Brand. They will resign both players. On the topic of being contenders. I don't think they will be contenders, but they can make the playoffs...possibly. Here's the thing, they aren't even the best basketball team that plays in the city and even building so I don't think we can call them contenders.

cmellofan15
07-02-2008, 02:44 AM
definitly they were good wen they didnt hav baron and elton was healthy so if they got that duo they wuld need sum bench players also bcuz they dont hav a corey maggette comin off of the bench puttin up numbers

king4day
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Its actually not a joke at all. The Clippers sell out all the time and draw 5 times more fans than they did at the Sports Arena.
As far as us being a contender I would say its up in the air. If we stay healthy and everything goes perfect sure, but that has never happened for the Clippers, so I don't really think like that. If everything goes well we will have as good of an 8 man rotation as there is in the league.

PF Brand
SF Thornton
C Kaman
SG Gordon
PG Davis

SG Mobley
PF Thomas
PG Knight/Livingston/Free Agent

We would also have 2 or 3 other young guys who would develop into solid role players on a team like this.

That's pretty amazing. Didn't know that.
How far away was the "Sports arena" from Staples?

I just don't agree with two sports team so close to each other.
At least for Mets and Yanks u have to cross a bridge (different boroughs), to a lessar extent, same goes for Islanders Rangers (Devils too... all within 50 miles of each other, maybe less).

king4day
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Something is going to hold this team back. Its either Dunleavy or Clippers karma. I'm leaning towards the latter.

We saw what a good point guard in Cassell (at the time) did for them.
We saw what a great PG in Davis did for a struggling Warriors team.
We've never seen him play with a player of Brand's caliber.

Clippers Karma probably would be the only thing to stop their run (meaning someone gets hurt again), cuz they're talented enough to do some damage.

futureman
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm thinking if everyones healthy that they will be playoff contenders this year.

Jahari Kavi
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I say yes they're contenders. "If" they can stay healthy they'll be a 50 + win team, and I think they'll be better than Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Denver. They'll be right after the Lakers, Spurs, and Hornets...........