PDA

View Full Version : Roko Ukic and Adams officially signed

Denverb2b
07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
CLICK ME (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080701.wsptraps1/GSStory/GlobeSportsBasketball/home)

Current roster

C: Oneil-Bargnani-Jawai
PF: Bosh-Humphries-Graham
SF: Moon-Kapono-Graham
SG: Parker-Adams
PG: Calderon-Ukic

Denverb2b
07-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I believe it is a league rule that you must have 13 players on your roster, so expect one more low key signing or perhaps a trade during summer.

VinceIsASally
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I won't be all that comfortable if that is our final line-up come next season. Jawai is a project and will not be on this team next year as he will most likely be left to develop in the NBDL. We need a backup center still as well as a back-up point guard, most likely a veteran. You can't leave the backup duties to a kid who has zero experience at the NBA level, it's way way to risky. We definately need a little more stability there. There will be more moves then just these, BC just needs to get a little creative. We still have the MLE remember.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
well how was maxiell and Stuckey brought in..under a group of veteran players..Calderon, Bosh are great leaders..you just got to give Jawai time and experience in the NBA look who was Chauney Billups backup STuckey !! a rookie on one of the best teams in the league...the noly way of knowing hes capable of playing is to give him a chance.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 12:44 PM
"It's a great fit for Hassan," said David Lee, Adam's agent. "He can lock down ones, twos and threes and will bring the Raptors the kind of toughness they haven't seen in a while."

lmao "David Lee's" his agent..at first ithought it was the guy on the Knicks..hopefully he can find a better agent later =P

Denverb2b
07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I won't be all that comfortable if that is our final line-up come next season. Jawai is a project and will not be on this team next year as he will most likely be left to develop in the NBDL. We need a backup center still as well as a back-up point guard, most likely a veteran. You can't leave the backup duties to a kid who has zero experience at the NBA level, it's way way to risky. We definately need a little more stability there. There will be more moves then just these, BC just needs to get a little creative. We still have the MLE remember.

All indications from the raptors is that Jawai will be on the team next year, just dont look for for him to get big minutes. I see him perhaps being a player simular to glen davis aka big baby of the celtics last year who seen limited minutes all year. I am intrigued to see this guy play however and by the sounds of the reports on him all around the world he could turn out to be a good player.

As fro the roster, i dont expect much more after today, BC has stated in the past week that he wants a lean roster, meaning you will see our best players getting the bulk of the minutes night in and night out. Gone are the days of raptor depth and seeing 12-13 players playing in each game.

Personally I like the idea, I dont think our players ever could get in the flow with the way we were because Mitchell would often split the minutes down the line for everyone where as the good teams played their starters 35-40 minutes a night.

D.Pumps
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
You know there are teams with guys STARTING with no NBA experience right? Thats kind of how it has to happen.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
You know there are teams with guys STARTING with no NBA experience right? Thats kind of how it has to happen.

Detroit is considering starting Rodney Stuckey and shopping Billups...a contender every single year putting there faith in a young pg..alot of pressure..but thats the chance you take to find out if a palyer can play :D

VinceIsASally
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Doesn't mean there any good or playing well. You just can't rely on that kind of inexperience. Hence the necessity to bring in some vets with the MLE for insurance. I'd also love to see some sort of proof or even if anyone has heard that the Raptors will have him on the roster next year. Anything I have heard thus far does not have him in the NBA next year. Apparently he's just not ready and needs to be developed. Better off actually playing in the NBDL then riding our bench all year. In a nutshell, the MLE will probably be used for vet help at the PG and C positions and a difference making wing player will only be acquired via trade with our assets being one of Kapono or Parker with Bargnani. I don't really think BC will be going down that road though.

D.Pumps
07-01-2008, 12:59 PM
How about the rule that you have to have 13 players?

pebloemer
07-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Any reports on the details of the signings? (how many years, how much). Or is that information classified until July 9?

Silver.
07-01-2008, 01:22 PM
That Hassan Adams guy seems to have a lot of potential

Dragan
07-01-2008, 01:23 PM
CLICK ME (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080701.wsptraps1/GSStory/GlobeSportsBasketball/home)

Current roster

C: Oneil-Bargnani-Jawai
PF: Bosh-Humphries-Graham
SF: Moon-Kapono-Graham
SG: Parker-Adams
PG: Calderon-Ukic

LOL i love the click me tuck. this is great. now we will cee what this kid can do.

btw whos adams.

Silver.
07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
google search him^

Dragan
07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
google search him^

yeah i did. thanks. he played in italy last season, or was suposed to.

So now do we have any more money to sign others. anyone know how this works.

pebloemer
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Hassan Adams Video:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkYoTTnH7U

Roko Ukic Video:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsUYLxf7U8

Halladay
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Is everyone forgetting about Rasho possibly getting bought out by Indiana? You cant just assume that because of what the roster will look like on July 9'th is what it will look like to start the season...there's still more moves coming, the offseason just started.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
RASHO!!..would be nice to have him back..would be solid in the frontcourt with him back..im sure he'll take a paycut because he loves it here in TO..and a fact you guys might not know..Rasho has never played for a team that hasnt made it to the playoffs..if he stays with the pacers..he could end that streak..

nads83
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
hassan adams was a great college basket ball player and nothing else. seems like tor is banking entirely on the health of oneil and bargnanis progression. adams makes no sense

pebloemer
07-01-2008, 03:42 PM
hassan adams was a great college basket ball player and nothing else. seems like tor is banking entirely on the health of oneil and bargnanis progression. adams makes no sense

An athletic, tough, hard nosed defender to back up Parker and prepare for the departure of delfino makes no sense? At the league minimum of 800, 000 or so how couldn't it make sense? There is still plenty of the MLE to sign a back up big man.

nads83
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
An athletic, tough, hard nosed defender to back up Parker and prepare for the departure of delfino makes no sense? At the league minimum of 800, 000 or so how couldn't it make sense?

are you serious? u dont have to try to justify every move. we are still very inconsistant at the 2 and 3 spots. delfino is a much better player than adams. i dont see this as an improvement. it was a move to fill out the rotation and nothing else.

pebloemer
07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
are you serious? u dont have to try to justify every move. we are still very inconsistant at the 2 and 3 spots. delfino is a much better player than adams. i dont see this as an improvement. it was a move to fill out the rotation and nothing else.

You are assuming we can keep Delfino. . .

I never said Delfino was worse than Adams. . .

It was to fill out the roster with a player that could contribute off the bench, for the league minimum, how does this not makes sense again? Based on your logic it even makes sense. Fill out the rotation by signing a player with the league minimum. We did it last year with Moon (I am not saying Adams will be our Moon next year so don't get too excited), we did it again this year with Adams. We bring players into a camp, assess what they can bring and give them a shot with the league minimum. I don't see how there is a better way to fill out a roster with no money.

nads83
07-01-2008, 03:58 PM

It was to fill out the roster with a player that could contribute off the bench, for the league minimum, how does this not makes sense again? Based on your logic it even makes sense. Fill out the rotation by signing a player with the league minimum. We did it last year with Moon (I am not saying Adams will be our Moon next year so don't get too excited), we did it again this year with Adams. We bring players into a camp, assess what they can bring and give them a shot with the league minimum. I don't see how there is a better way to fill out a roster with no money.

im not. ive followed adams career cuz i was a huge arizona fan. loved him in college but knew he had no position in the nba. our sg/sf rotation is...

parker/kapono
moon/adams

BC must be putting a lot of stock in kapono to become a scoring machine

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM

well im going to have to argue agaisnt you guys here..Adams was cut by the NJ in order to stay below the cap..you can't say Delfino is a better place because Delfino had 1 good year with the raptors..remember mike james? averaged 20 ppg..look at him now..4th string pg behind paul,parg and someother guy. Adams is a sophmore who neevr got a chance to show what his tools are just likeDelfino in Detroit..i think if given an opportunity to play he can be a good backup player at a very reasonable price..its a low gamble high reward kind of thing..we have nothing to lose and everythingto gain by adding him to our depth chart.

lapeapod
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I live in Tucson and I'm very familiar with Hassan Adams game at the University of Arizona. Dubbed "point guard U" because so many of the U of A guards are in the pros (Jason Terry, Gilbert Arenas, Mike Bibby), Hassan was a very good college player but he's undersized to play a SG in the pros. It's a disserve to Carlos Delfino to compare a player that hasn't even played more than a handful of games in the pros to him. Carlos has done everything the Raptors have asked of him, he's only 1 of 2 Raptors last year that played in every game and I hope that he stays with the Raps and accepts their qualifying offer of 1 year at 2.7 million.

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Didn't Hassan play for the Nets last year?

The Wise 1
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Man if Parker and O'neal miss a big chunk of the season we could be in trouble. Relying on Adams or Graham as the 1st swing off the bench is trouble for even the most optimistic Raptor fans. And if O'neal goes down we have a project in Jawai and Andrea who hasnt proven he can play the 5. Hope we stay healthy.

Bob_at_york
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
That Hassan Adams guy seems to have a lot of potential

I remember the Nets fans loved him. Not sure if we should expect much overall if we stay healthy.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Didn't Hassan play for the Nets last year?

The Nets had to cut him in order to stay below the cap

Halladay
07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Why does everyone sound like these guys will be the first players off the bench? Anyone who thinks BC is done is foolish...

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
ya today was only the first day..im just anxious..how crazy would it be waking up and hearing about a blockbuster trade..i dont think i can sleep

Durant is hype
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Hassan Adams not bad......

khanraymond
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Most teams run a 8 to 9 man rotation (a few have tried the 10 man - Toronto once upon a time when we had Palecio - can't spell his name)

Last years rotation was as:
Ford, Parker, Moon, Bosh, Rasho - Calderon, Bragnani, Delfino and Kapono
You really didn't see much of Martin, Humphris, of Graham.
Kapono playoff performance has earned him a jump in the rotation - which means Delfino is gone.

Most rotations have 1 PG, 1 Big, and 1 Wing (Maybe two)

Barring no big moves besides the signing of another G, heres your rotation for next year:
Calderon, Parker, Moon, Bosh, O'Neal - Ukic(or FA), Bragnani, Kapono and ?

the 9th guy in the rotation (who will have very limited minutes per night - maybe 5 to 9).

I expect Jawii to be the 13th player.

The only reason we signed Adams - we needed a wing (supposedly he can defend PG, SG, and SF). We need someone cheap that can potentially be huge (but if not, who cares) - so that, we have the majority of the 3 million (what should be left after signing Calderon, Ukic, Jawii, and Adams) to sign a decent G. 3 million dollars for a back up G(either PG or combo) should yield toronto something good on the FA market.

Depending on what type of G Toronto signs - Vet PG (ie. Armstrong), PG in prime (ie. Duhon), or Combo G (ie. Flip Murray) - will show fans what they expect from Ukic.

I know alot of you want Rasho back, but it's not going to happen unless Toronto is willing to go over the cap or Toronto signs a 3rd G for less than 2 million.

Remember:

Calderon > Ford
Parker = Parker
Moon > last years Moon
Bosh > last years Bosh because of O'Neal
O'Nea l > Rasho
Ukic or FA < Calderon - depending on who they sign or how Ukic plays
Bragnani > Bragnani (atleast he better be)
Kapono = Delfino
Adams or Graham < Kapono

looks like a better team no matter how you slice it.

The big question is who the raptors are going to sign on July 9th as the last G.

Ragun
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Hassan will be great for the locker room.

star
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM

why do you say that?
hes not a vet?

do you know what specifically will make him great?

Bob_at_york
07-01-2008, 11:24 PM

why? i am not saying he won't be, but i am unsure why?

Ragun
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
why? i am not saying he won't be, but i am unsure why?
He is funny and when thye had introductions he was always in the middle dancing. Seems like a great guy.

koreancabbage
07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
seems like a guy who can pump up everyone's spirit in during the team announcements by showing off his ill dance routine lol

Dragan
07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
it seems that this seasons locker room will be very good, atleast better than last season. Im so fricken excited for this season to beguin, But how the hell are we goign to weit for November.

Fion
07-02-2008, 02:41 AM
if hassan can defend he will earn some floor time when we need a break on parker. though parker is a decent defender.

pebloemer
07-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Remember:

Calderon > Ford
Parker = Parker
Moon > last years Moon
Bosh > last years Bosh because of O'Neal
O'Nea l > Rasho
Ukic or FA < Calderon - depending on who they sign or how Ukic plays
Bragnani > Bragnani (atleast he better be)
Kapono = Delfino
Adams or Graham < Kapono

looks like a better team no matter how you slice it.

The big question is who the raptors are going to sign on July 9th as the last G.

I here is another way it could be sliced:

Calderon < Calderon and Ford (arguable, on paper it would be worse, but on court it may be more consistent)
Parker = Parker
Moon > Moon (not by much though, I am not sure what he will be better at - hopefully decision making, used to NBA, etc)
Bosh <,>,= Bosh (who knows how Jermaine will affect Bosh. I wouldn't assume it would help Bosh's game. Now he is sharing the post)
Oneal > Nesterovic (if healthy)

Hopefully the bench improves.

Bob_at_york
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
He is funny and when thye had introductions he was always in the middle dancing. Seems like a great guy.

Joey was always involved in the Raptors introductions (he jumps/bumps into the starter's). I wonder how he will feel about Hassan stealing his thunder?