PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Offering MAX to Agent Zero

BostonPothead
07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
-from the Washington Post

Wiz offer Arenas the max but he may take less

What a crazy night in free agency. First, Baron Davis surprisingly opted out of the final year of his contract that would have payed him $17.8 million this season from the Golden State Warriors.

Then, according to my sources, the Warriors quickly burned the phones and offered former Warrior Gilbert Arenas a maximum-level contract, one that would pay him more than $100 million over five years. My source told me that Gilbert received a flurry of phone calls from the Warriors in the first 30 minutes of free agency.

After Gilbert drove to the Verizon Center for a late night workout and a meeting with Ernie Grunfeld, the Wizards came strong with an offer of a maximum contract that covers six years for over $124 million (Not sure whether they knew about the Golden State offer or not. I hear they didn't. Ernie came strong but also laid it out for Gilbert that if he asked for the maximum, the team would be in a tough spot.)

According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
take less money..i think this guy isnt even worth 124m..hes worth maybe around 15-18m but not 21 m per season..OVERRATED much?

Do0msday
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I can't believe some teams are offering this kind of money for him...he's a good player but he's NOT that good. Lebron, Wade, Howard, etc...those are the kind of players that should get that kind of deal. If Arenas gets it then the other guys are going to want even more & it'll screw everything up.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Another Zito contract in the Bay? You can keep him on the Warriors East.

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
-from the Washington Post

Wiz offer Arenas the max but he may take less

What a crazy night in free agency. First, Baron Davis surprisingly opted out of the final year of his contract that would have payed him $17.8 million this season from the Golden State Warriors.

Then, according to my sources, the Warriors quickly burned the phones and offered former Warrior Gilbert Arenas a maximum-level contract, one that would pay him more than $100 million over five years. My source told me that Gilbert received a flurry of phone calls from the Warriors in the first 30 minutes of free agency.

After Gilbert drove to the Verizon Center for a late night workout and a meeting with Ernie Grunfeld, the Wizards came strong with an offer of a maximum contract that covers six years for over $124 million (Not sure whether they knew about the Golden State offer or not. I hear they didn't. Ernie came strong but also laid it out for Gilbert that if he asked for the maximum, the team would be in a tough spot.)

According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.

Ridiculous to give that much to someone who has only been to the 2nd round once and got swept when he made it. And the only reason he got there was because both Deng and Curry didn't play a game in the series.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Another Zito contract in the Bay? You can keep him on the Warriors East.

good comparison..thats what i was thinking..ya the type of moeny is lebron, kobe, kg money..if Arena's gets that Lebron in 2010 will command like 25m a year:|

Iodine
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I :pity: the warriors

24/7 All Day
07-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Didn't he leave them for a reason?

x_notorious
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, with Baron Davis leaving, this is only logical. It's hard to fill in his shoes, but Arenas will help a bit.

It's still a ridiculous contract, but the Warriors have a lot to spend in the off-season especially with Davis opting out.

cambovenzi
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
ESPN, and other media have turned agent zero into a big star.
and they need to replace baron w/ a star.
offering a huge contract is just about the only way to pull him away from washington. and even that might not work.

BALLER71
07-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Ditto.

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Boy that sure is a forward move:rolleyes:

Iodine
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Well as long as they play nellie ball nothing they ever do will be forward

buschboy 222222
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
please !!!!!! ernie let gil walk his tail back to the warriors take his money and go get brand and a real point guard this team is better without him in the line-up as a ball hog

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM

That would only be in order to get someone who is a more known to their franchise to bring in more money.

Gilbert>TheRest
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
he isnt going anywhere

Strumpy
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I can't believe that. Max contracts should go to players like Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul, etc. A second or third tier star doesn't deserve that much money.

Cracka2HI!
07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I think this is a bad sign for the league. The Wiz and Warriors had a good chance to take a stand against players and drive down salaries a bit. There is really no cap room around the league so offering the max to Arenas is really crazy. In this market they could each re-sign their PG for about $12-13 million. When Gilbert accepts the Wiz offer the Warriors will just throw the max at Baron Davis. Which is also bad for me because I'm a Clipper fan. I do expect both of these teams to regret these contracts big time eventually.

Beno7500
07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
greedy...

SwaggaIke
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I guess the fans know more than these GM's who have been in the business for years. But not really.

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't believe that. Max contracts should go to players like Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul, etc. A second or third tier star doesn't deserve that much money.

I agree. Gilbert doesn't deserve that much cash.

Scheck
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM

me 4

EAGLES3658
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
yea gil only averaged almost 30 points a game when he was healthy and hit so many clutch shots and game winners

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 08:27 PM
yea gil only averaged almost 30 points a game when he was healthy and hit so many clutch shots and game winners

Well he is also less fitted for Nellie's offense than B Diddy is.....and the Warriors don't need more scoring....they need leadership and defense.....that's why a selfish guy like Arenas who is a high volume shooter makes no sense.....

Dirty Dirk41
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
if Warriors Get Agent Zero they wont be rattled at all by B-Diddy leaving for L.A...Gilbert can replace what B.Davis gave you

JordansBulls
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Why would the Warriors pay Arenas double of what Baron is going to get now?

SwaggaIke
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Why would the Warriors pay Arenas double of what Baron is going to get now?

1. He's younger.
2. He doesn't have a game that relies on athleticism.
3. He's has a history there.
4. He's one of the most explosive scorers in the league when healthy.

Gilbert is a volume shooter no question, but the things he did when he was healthy were amazing. So many game winners, so many clutch shots, so many huge scoring games. Washington had one of the East's best records when Gilbert was 100%. Whether people want to admit it or not, he's still one of the league's best.