PDA

View Full Version : D'antoni Says Lee Great, But Trade Possible

SAVETHEKNICKS1
07-01-2008, 07:33 AM
By MARC BERMAN
July 1, 2008

Wearing a red Team USA polo shirt at an Olympic function at The Plaza yesterday, Mike D'Antoni put on his KnicksNew York Knicks hat in declaring the team's biggest need is backcourt help, with free agency dawning today.

D'Antoni, a U.S. Olympic assistant coach this summer, also supported David LeeDavid Lee , saying he would "love" to coach him next season but admitted Lee is the subject of trade talks.

Unrestricted free agent Beno Udrih of Sacramento, Golden State restricted free agent Monta Ellis and Raymond Felton are their top point guard targets, but that may be shooting too high, considering the Knicks' new cap restrictions. Trade options include the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich and Memphis' Mike Conley and Kyle Lowry.

"I think our backcourt could be a little thin right now," said D'Antoni. "We could get some help there, no doubt. Every place else we have a lot of guys."

Among the lesser-tier free-agent point/combo guards are Chris Duhon, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Sebastian Telfair, Eddie House and Sam Cassell. Players can sign July 15.

The Knicks consider Stephon Marbury the lone true point guard on the roster and he's a risk, returning from ankle surgery at 31 and in the final year of his contract. They will lose Fred Jones to free agency and D'Antoni doesn't consider Nate Robinson a true point guard.

The Knicks bypassed the point guard position in the draft, choosing 6-foot-10 Italian forward Danilo Gallinari Thursday. The Knicks would've taken PG Russell Westbrook had he fallen to sixth, but brass didn't think Eric Gordon, because of his suspect handle, could make the transition to point guard.

Before Donnie Walsh's goal of sliding under the 2010 salary cap, Isiah Thomas was free to offer the maximum mid-level free agent contract - five years, $31 million. Jerome James and Jared Jeffries were the benefactors.

With the mid-level exception expected to be raised this year to $5.5 million, Walsh won't go beyond a two-year, $11.5 million offer. An $11.5 million package may not be big enough for the up-an-coming Udrih, a Slovenian who could net a long-term offer. His New York-based agent, Marc Cornstein, wouldn't rule out the Knicks.

"There'll be more clarity [today], but if the Knicks had interest, it's something Udrih would want to look into," Cornstein said.

Sacramento does not have Udrih's Bird rights, so the Kings can't do a sign-and-trade. The Knicks' best hope in landing Ellis or Felton is through a sign-and-trade, with Lee the pawn. Ellis' agent Jeff Fried said last night his client has expressed interest in the Knicks. D'Antoni denied a report that he doesn't like Lee's game, but indicated his contractual situation is a factor. Lee will looking for a long-term contract extension by October's deadline.

"I love David Lee," D'Antoni said. "I read someplace, he doesn't fit my style. Let's see, he averaged 10 rebounds, 10 points. He fits anybody's style. To be creative, he's the best we have to be creative. [But] the franchise will do their job of exploring every option. At the end of the day, I'd be very happy to coach David Lee.

"But again it's the business, it's the future and we're doing what you can within certain parameters. It's overblown because everyone that calls asks about him because he's the main guy. And it should be a compliment to him. It hasn't happened. I don't expect it to happen. If it did, it would have to be somebody good."

Hope we get Felton

HOZ THE KNICK
07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
only way lee stays if we can get rid of zack 'hopefully to chicago' but if we find no takers for zack lee is good as gone.

trout1627
07-01-2008, 08:45 AM
only way lee stays if we can get rid of zack 'hopefully to chicago' but if we find no takers for zack lee is good as gone.

I don't get that. Zach's not a team player. Lee is. If we get "something good" for Lee as Walsh says, that might justify a trade. But any decision based on keeping Zach just doesn't make sense. Zach has to go.

lionheartc
07-01-2008, 09:15 AM
If we can't get what we need for lee now, then we should just keep him.
We had the chance in the draft to get something for him, but walsh wasn't agressive enough

KnickVeteran
07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I agree with lionheartc.

lionheartc
07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I agree with lionheartc.

thanks man

still a fan
07-01-2008, 09:56 AM
If we can't get what we need for lee now, then we should just keep him.
We had the chance in the draft to get something for him, but walsh wasn't agressive enough

We do not know that!! nothing wass said after the draft from either team and if you noticed anyone who said Lee nixed the deal never brought it up again.

Believe me if that were true about Lee the journalist would have been all over it!! Headlines galore etc., not a word not one single word!!

This is the most media driven year in rumors I have ever seen in any sport and that includes the Yankees!!

We are so hungry we wait with baited breath for anything that is said, doesn't matter what, if its a rumor , said by a source, or by one player.

Hustla23
07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
The last line of the article is correct. Unless we get blown away by some offer for Lee, we should just keep him, because chances are, the player that we'd get in return is not better than David.

Let's not throw away David Lee, the most valuable player on the NEW YORK Knicks, for nothing.

KnicksFoLife
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
The only problem I see with keeping Lee is that next year he is up for a new contract and most likely we wont be able to match his demand, so instead of loosing him for nothing I would trade him now. Dont get me wrong though, I would be sad to see him go cause he is one of are only guys that always tries to do better.

Hustla23
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Do any teams in the NBA have the money to match Lee's demand? I have a feeling he'll come running back to New York when he figures out he can't get much else.

Giaps
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Bermanbury at it again:

The Knicks consider Stephon Marbury the lone true point guard on the roster and he's a risk, returning from ankle surgery at 31 and in the final year of his contract. They will lose Fred Jones to free agency and D'Antoni doesn't consider Nate Robinson a true point guard.

No where does it mention that he is a risk mainly because he is freakin crazy and a chemistry killer. It amazes me that Bermanbury goes to such great lengths to embarrass himself for Marbury and he will be so lost without him once he's gone. Sly knows what I'm talkin about.

Weezy
07-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I hate Bermanbury.

SAVETHEKNICKS1
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Bermanbury at it again:

No where does it mention that he is a risk mainly because he is freakin crazy and a chemistry killer. It amazes me that Bermanbury goes to such great lengths to embarrass himself for Marbury and he will be so lost without him once he's gone. Sly knows what I'm talkin about.

Did you see this? I thought it was pretty funny

Why No One Takes the N.Y. Post's NBA Coverage Seriously
Posted Jun 29th 2008 10:25AM by Tom Ziller

One Marc Berman story on the Knicks' rebuilding plan, annotated:

"Other young free-agent point guards available for mid-level money are Chris Duhon, Brooklyn's Sebastian Telfair, Keyon Dooling and Tyronn Lue."

Dooling is 28 years old, and Lue just turned 31. Not exactly NBA youngsters.

"The Bulls, who desperately tried to get David Lee in the Eddy Curry deal three years ago, are also expected to shop Kurt Heinrich and restricted free agent Ben Gordon."

I hear this Kurt Heinrich fellow could be a real catch. Much better than that Kirk Hinrich guy.

Those mistakes are cosmetic, sure. But when Berman then tosses a theory like this at the wall, you give a little less credence, yeah?

Golden State's Monta Ellis is a wonderful point-guard-of-the-future candidate but that has to be a sign-and-trade scenario because Warriors general manager Chris Mullin would match a two-year deal. Walsh and Mullin are close, making a transaction doable.

Ay ay ay. Ellis would not sign a two-year deal with the Knicks or anyone, not when teams would line up around the block to give him a five-year deal. And Mullin isn't going to hand his "wonderful point-guard-of-the-future" over to the Knicks just because Donnie was nice to him in Indianapolis in the '90s. I understand contrasting the Walsh regime with the Isiah Thomas Reign of Terror, but at some point the nonsensical Pollyanna theorizing becomes a farce, yeah?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/29/why-no-one-takes-the-em-n-y-post-em-s-nba-coverage-seriously/

Giaps
07-01-2008, 01:25 PM

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/29/why-no-one-takes-the-em-n-y-post-em-s-nba-coverage-seriously/
It's embarrassing honestly. Berman & Vescey together???? Yikes!!!

Hustla23
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM

haha that's great.

SAVETHEKNICKS1
07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
It's embarrassing honestly. Berman & Vescey together???? Yikes!!!

It is. I cant even compare him to Vescey bc he's a columnist so he'll sometimes just write things to make it entertaining. No excuse for Berman though. I mean all these beatwriters are gonna have there own spin on things and thats fine, but Berman is all over the place.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
We can still get hinrich with the zach trade and still keep lee.

Hustla23
07-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Since we basically have Duhon now.. this means we Keep Lee right??