PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks may be hanging on to recent past

ashy84
07-01-2008, 01:58 AM
"Let me start by saying this is not a criticism of DeSagana Diop. He is a nice player, and the Mavericks are a better team with him than without him.

But if the club uses its mid-level exception to bring Diop back into the fold, if this is the free-agent move Donnie Nelson says the club can't afford to miss on, what does it say about the team's upcoming season?

It says the Mavericks are living in the past. It perpetuates the spin that deposed coach Avery Johnson was the reason for the team's ills and inflates the already high price the Mavericks paid to acquire Jason Kidd.

Think about it. If Diop returns, the Mavericks' nucleus isn't all that different than it was two years ago when the team was in the Finals.

Erick Dampier and Diop at center. Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard as the starting forwards. Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse at shooting guard. Kidd for Devin Harris at the point is the only significant change in the top seven.

Can the return of Keith Van Horn and Marquis Daniels be far behind?

The only reason the Mavericks' hierarchy keeps that group intact after two first-round failures is if they believe Johnson was outcoached. It shows that Nelson, the club's president of basketball operations, and owner Mark Cuban remain confident that they have the right mix of players in place.

This season will show if they are correct or delusional.

Golden State's Don Nelson did outcoach Johnson in the first round in 2007. You can argue New Orleans' Byron Scott did the same two months ago. But did anyone come away from the Hornets-Mavericks series thinking the better team lost?

No. New Orleans was clearly the superior team. I'm not sure bringing Diop back and turning the operation over to Rick Carlisle erases that reality.

And how much longer are the Mavericks going to hand over assets in the Kidd deal?

Diop was one of five players and two first-round draft picks the team sent to New Jersey. The club also had to release second-round pick Nick Fazekas for the deal to work.

I suppose the Mavericks will argue that they reduced the cost of the deal if Diop returns. But that's not true.

The Mavericks are forced to use their mid-level exception to get Diop back. If Diop had not been traded, the team could have re-signed him and used the mid-level slot for another player.
The bottom line: The Mavericks did not have the use of Diop against the Hornets, which would have come in handy for some of those Chris Paul to Tyson Chandler lobs, and two months later use their only significant free-agent slot to get him back.

How does this make sense?

I know this is a thin free-agent market. I also know the Mavericks don't have a lot of options. The team used its leverage to acquire Kidd and doesn't have much left.

Donnie Nelson spoke two weeks ago about the need to be creative this off-season. I'm not sure this qualifies.

The Mavericks could be blowing smoke. The team could have determined a trade must occur but doesn't want to tip its hand.

Or maybe the Mavericks will do what they can for now and see how they are playing in January and February before seeking to shake up the roster.

Again, Diop is a nice player, but he won't shake up a whole lot.

We'll have to wait and see if Nelson does."

So very true. I am one fan who will be very jaded if they spend all that money to get him back.

I don't see the logic!

We might as well have waited till the end of the season to take Kidd for harris and a filler like Stackhouse.
It is a very slim free-agent market.
Why not try develope Justin Williams or even Kwame Brown. Or even bring back Magloire and give him a chance.

In my opinion he we be just another problem on our team.
At 2 mill he was a steal.
At 5.5 million he should be in lockup.

PPG 2.9
RPG 5.0
APG 0.5
SPG 0.3
BPG 1.1
FG% 0.522
FT% 0.543
3P% 0.000
MPG 16.4

Doesn't jump out at me. How about you??
(I'm gonna say it Spurred1) Get ricky davis for 3 million and offer Kwame Brown 2.5 to get back on a contender.

Thats 2 for 1.

You get 14ppg from davis and a true guard. You get 4-6 from Brown
and around 5 rebounds off the bench.

You could substitue those names and add some yourself.
They are my picks though.

#1Mavericksfan
07-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Please calm down, do you really think the Mavs are gonna use the entire mid-level exception just to bring Diop back? I think they just said that so teams don't try to sign first....I agreed with most of the article and but I really think we could have used Diop in the Hornets series we could have put him on David West or Tyson Chandler we didn't have anybody to guard them, I agree Diop is not worth the full mle I would like for the Mavs to get him in a sign and trade because were gonna need him even if some people don't want him, who on the Mavs can guard Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol one on one?.....Dampire sure can't so I would feel better if we had Diop to guard them.

ashy84
07-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Please calm down, do you really think the Mavs are gonna use the entire mid-level exception just to bring Diop back? I think they just said that so teams don't try to sign first....I agreed with most of the article and but I really think we could have used Diop in the Hornets series we could have put him on David West or Tyson Chandler we didn't have anybody to guard them, I agree Diop is not worth the full mle I would like for the Mavs to get him in a sign and trade because were gonna need him even if some people don't want him, who on the Mavs can guard Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol one on one?.....Dampire sure can't so I would feel better if we had Diop to guard them.

Sorry my man didn't know I was irate......... :eyebrow:

You don't need to particularly worry about 1 on 1 defending too much.
You want to think along the lines of defending specific players at specific points on the floor to shut them down. The celtics did it to the Lakers.
Hard nosed defense will bring it. Diop isn't that tough.

We were outclassed definately by the Hornets.
We were slow, they were cocky.
Dampier needed to position himself better and others looked lost to me.
Carlisle should solve some of that.
The article was pretty solid and made sense to me. Except we didn't need Diop. We needed some heart.

ashy84
07-01-2008, 04:23 AM
I heard a story about Matt Barnes btw.
Not that sold. Might be an okay pick up. If we are trading George.

#1Mavericksfan
07-01-2008, 04:27 AM
I heard a story about Matt Barnes btw.
Not that sold. Might be an okay pick up. If we are trading George.

I did too, I really hope the Mavs go after him.

Young2Kinsler
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
bring back diop, great ****in idea, lets get the same team we couldnt win with before. this ****in team really pisses me off, what a joke

thedfactor
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Offer the MLE exception to Maggette. Got nothing to lose. Matt Barnes would be nice energy off the bench.