PDA

View Full Version : Will Any of Us Live to See the 56-Game Hit Streak Broken?

Acronym
07-01-2008, 01:55 AM
I don't think so. I think it is just an insurmountable record. Steroids can help you hit, and more of your shots will be hit with power, but I don't think they can replicate the sheer hitting prowess and good amount of luck that Joltin' Joe had during that streak.

My old man always used to say, when Sosa and McGuire were chasing Maris, that DiMaggio's streak would never be broken. I'm almost inclined to agree.

But, never say never. What do you guys think?

JDIsMyGod23
07-01-2008, 02:00 AM
These types of records to me will be broken. Who would of thunk of 70 home runs and 73. Some 4 year old kid out there may be the next Tiger Woods of baseball, and someone will break it one day. I thought Sisler's 256 hits in a season was less of a chance, but Ichiro got that. The records that will never be broken are all dead-ball ERA pitching records. Old Hoss Radbourn had 50 CG's IN A SEASON one year. Ripken's consecutive streaks and Maddux if he passes Spahn for the live-ball pitching record for wins. This streak will end before there is ever a .400 hitter.

iam brett favre
07-01-2008, 02:03 AM
It depends if Cano reaches his potential or not

Acronym
07-01-2008, 02:04 AM
There already was one .400 hitter. Ted Williams.

vladdy#27
07-01-2008, 02:05 AM
I dont see it happening for a long time

JDIsMyGod23
07-01-2008, 02:25 AM
There already was one .400 hitter. Ted Williams.

I meant again. Ironically the same year as Joe D's streak IIRC. Since Williams didn't win MVP :pity:

AsfanSince99
07-01-2008, 03:50 AM
You gotta be one lucky SOB to break that record.

Even if that player is lucky enough to reach 40 games, the next 16/17 games after, if he makes it that far, would be a circus, not to mention the stressfulness of the situation from the constant spotlight of media attention and pressure to break the record. That alone combined with the pennant race would sure kill any hopes of a player reaching that 56 game milestone.

JGaryW
07-01-2008, 04:06 AM
no, it won't happen in the age of specialty pitchers.

bagwell368
07-01-2008, 07:48 AM
they say night ball, travel, RP's is what keeps it from happening.

I say its ESPN. What pitcher wants to be in the record books and plastered all over ESPN when the hitter breaks the record on his dime?

If you have paid attention the past 30 years when guys like Nomar and Rose got over 25, it was getting attention, and it seemed like every staff was bearing down trying to kill the streak.

Very tough. A high OBP hitter has an additional strike against him since he's up there looking for walks which takes away AB's in a way guys in Joe's time generally did not (Ted excluded).

In my life - no? But I'm old and sick....

But it can be done, unlike 3 no hitters in a row, or 3 grand slams in an inning which are not doable.

PhillyPride13
07-01-2008, 09:34 AM
no, plus none of these over priced players will beat 2,632 straight games

ThisIsTheYear
07-01-2008, 09:49 AM

Yea, I think that 56 game hit streak will be broken before Cal's record.

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
:laugh:!

As time goes on and injuries occur more, I believe that Cal's streak will NEVER be broken.

As for the 56 game hit streak, I'm not sure. I mean, I hope to be alive for atleast 40 more years, so we'll see. That's a lot of time to see something interesting happen.

Johan=LightsOut
07-01-2008, 10:53 AM
:laugh::laugh:

CANO :laugh: thats a @$#%ing joke,

Not trying to sound bias here but jose reyes could, he is getting a fine swing and still only 25, has put together many hitting streaks, probably not but its just a name

Ph1lly Diehard
07-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Cals streak will NEVER be broken, and that's a fact. Managers won't let there best players play all the time to risk injury in meaningless games, etc.

56 hits? Well, Jimmy Rollins had 43 was it? Then the season ended and they couldn't continue into the next so it had to end at 43.

If the season continued? Who knows. I think he could have done it.

ShinobiNYC
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I think Pujols is capable when/if he is healthy...A very difficult number to reach though.

ShinobiNYC
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Cals streak will NEVER be broken, and that's a fact. Managers won't let there best players play all the time to risk injury in meaningless games, etc.

56 hits? Well, Jimmy Rollins had 43 was it? Then the season ended and they couldn't continue into the next so it had to end at 43.

If the season continued? Who knows. I think he could have done it.

38 for both 2005 and 2006.

EC Raider
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't think so. The truly untouchable record, IMO. Love it.

cwilson21
07-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I think it can be done but like someone pointed out earlier it's harder since the hitters that could probably do it would be pitched to more carefully and probably be walked instead.

Apophis
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I dont think the record will ever be broken...

m26555
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
:laugh::laugh:

CANO :laugh: thats a @$#%ing joke,

Not trying to sound bias here but jose reyes could, he is getting a fine swing and still only 25, has put together many hitting streaks, probably not but its just a name
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now Jose Reyes has a fine swing??? I swear you Met fans are unbelievable..Reyes has one of the most girlish swings I've ever seen. Cano has MUCH more of a chance of doing it than Reyes (not that either of them will come close...just making a point).

Brendan
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I have the game that Cal broke the record recorded. One of the best moments in baseball history when he ran all around the field to shake everyones hand. THAT streak will NEVER be broken. The 56 hit streak will eventually. It seems impossible, but there will be like someone said a "Tiger Woods" of baseball. Someone will beat it, it could just take a very long time

DjD3990
07-01-2008, 12:42 PM
nope and the main reason is b.c a pitcher will not allow it....as long as the batter makes an out his first at bat, the pitcher will just walk him the rest of the game and there goes the hit streak....the phillies did it 2 wright

DieHardColtsfan
07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
If you look at recent history of those who came close, Gabe Kapler, Luis Castillo (twice) Jimmy Rollins. I honeslty think it wont be a household name if its done. it will be a scrapper who treats himself like a worker doing his job. I think it wont be broken though!

ShinobiNYC
07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
If you look at recent history of those who came close, Gabe Kapler, Luis Castillo (twice) Jimmy Rollins. I honeslty think it wont be a household name if its done. it will be a scrapper who treats himself like a worker doing his job. I think it wont be broken though!

Players like Utley, Pujols and Wright also had a 30+ hitting streak.

R. Johnson#3
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I just can't see it happening. You barely see players playing 56 games in a row anymore. It would be hard to take a day off and still be that hot.

Apophis
07-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Has someone even gotten to 50?

I know for sure one MLB that will never be broken and that is Johnny Vander Meer's Consecutive No Hitters. I can't see any pitcher, pitching 3 consecutive No Hitters..

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree with the Tiger comment. Eventually it will happen. All records will eventually be broken. Except maybe Cy Young's wings, and Nolan's Strikeouts. But that has more to do with the change of the game, and a 5 man rotation. Unless Tim Lincecum strikes out 400 batters a year for the next century I don't think any one will touch it. It would actually take Lincecum 20 years straight of throwing 286 K's a year, if he was starting from scratch, to break it. That is unbelievable.

If I ever thought anyone could do it, It was Ichiro, and definately not Cano or Jose Reyes

k_rock923
07-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I agree that the opposing pitcher won't allow it to happen. They'll get the guy out for the first AB and then not pitch to him.

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree that the opposing pitcher won't allow it to happen. They'll get the guy out for the first AB and then not pitch to him.

That is a possibility, but that also requires that hitter to be really high up in the hit streak. I mean theoretically why would anyone do that unless it would the 56th game, no pitcher in the 55th game is going to walk him if it hurts the team. And who is to say that in that 56th game, the only logical one to walk him, wouldn't be in a situation where they can't walk him, bases loaded, something like that. A pitchers main job is get the outs. Your not going to see intentional walks just to stay out of the record books. I mean people eventually pitched to Bonds. It is only that last game that makes the difference. No pitcher is going to be like "Oh this guys on a 44 game hitting streak, I better walk him so I am not number 45?"

Tragedy
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
:laugh:

Seriously though, I'm not confident I'll ever see it. I think the 56 game hit streak along with Cal's 2,632 will be among the most difficult to break.

It's funny, because when someone gets to the 30 game hit streak point, people are amazed. Yet, they're not even CLOSE to breaking the record. Same for Cal's record. Remember when everyone was getting all excited over Tejada, yet he was still years and years away?

I'd love to see each broken, but I am surely not holding my breath.

k_rock923
07-04-2008, 11:22 AM
That is a possibility, but that also requires that hitter to be really high up in the hit streak. I mean theoretically why would anyone do that unless it would the 56th game, no pitcher in the 55th game is going to walk him if it hurts the team. And who is to say that in that 56th game, the only logical one to walk him, wouldn't be in a situation where they can't walk him, bases loaded, something like that. A pitchers main job is get the outs. Your not going to see intentional walks just to stay out of the record books. I mean people eventually pitched to Bonds. It is only that last game that makes the difference. No pitcher is going to be like "Oh this guys on a 44 game hitting streak, I better walk him so I am not number 45?"

I just think the guy might see a lot of unintentional intentional walks. He'll be pitched around so much that I really don't see it happening.

papipapsmanny
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
cals streak will never be broken and i dont think anyone will have 56 straight nor do i think someone will hit 400 again

torontocubs
07-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I just think the guy might see a lot of unintentional intentional walks. He'll be pitched around so much that I really don't see it happening.

It's possible, but you don't see guys pitched around that are the type of hitters to set this kind of record. I mean a good contact hitter isn't the guy you pitch around. sure if it is Pujols or Wright going after this record thats one thing, but they get pitched around normally, but a guy like Rollins or Ichiro, most pitchers would rather pitch to them and try to get the out then to let either of them on base. When it comes down to it, the game is to win, not to stay out of the record books. These guys are competitive, most guys in the upper area of the streak would rather be remembered for being the guy to end it rather than the guy who kept it going.

Apophis
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
:laugh:

Seriously though, I'm not confident I'll ever see it. I think the 56 game hit streak along with Cal's 2,632 will be among the most difficult to break.

All records will eventually be broken. Except maybe Cy Young's wings, and Nolan's Strikeouts.

Johnny Vander Meer's Consecutive No Hitters will definately not be broken.. Is there a pitcher even capable of pitching 3 consecutive no hitters... I dont see that ever happening...

DjD3990
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
It's possible, but you don't see guys pitched around that are the type of hitters to set this kind of record. I mean a good contact hitter isn't the guy you pitch around. sure if it is Pujols or Wright going after this record thats one thing, but they get pitched around normally, but a guy like Rollins or Ichiro, most pitchers would rather pitch to them and try to get the out then to let either of them on base. When it comes down to it, the game is to win, not to stay out of the record books. These guys are competitive, most guys in the upper area of the streak would rather be remembered for being the guy to end it rather than the guy who kept it going.

when wright started last season with his hit streak and it got upwards of 27 something games the phillies got him out after his first at bat and then walked him the rest of the game

Yankees213
07-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I think 56 is very tough but Cal's record is as close to unbreakable as it comes. You rarely see guys play all 162 these days. Now try doing it every year for over 16 years. Most guys' careers don't even last that long.

Ragun
07-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes...we will be alive.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I dont see Cal's, Nolan's, Young's or DiMaggio's record getting broken anytime Soon

serGeant
07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I think it is possible, but very difficult. Sisler's hit record was supposed to be near-unreachable too.

Rickey Henderson's single-season steals, Cy Young's wins, Ryan's strikeouts, Ripken's "Ironman" record, Maddux' 350+ live-ball era wins will not be touched because of how the game is approached now. Hell, I think Hershiser's scoreless inning streak would be hard too, since there are just so many quality hitters now.

I smell my bat
07-05-2008, 05:27 PM
It depends if Cano reaches his potential or notWhat??????????????/

Tragedy
07-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I think it is possible, but very difficult. Sisler's hit record was supposed to be near-unreachable too.

Rickey Henderson's single-season steals, Cy Young's wins, Ryan's strikeouts, Ripken's "Ironman" record, Maddux' 350+ live-ball era wins will not be touched because of how the game is approached now. Hell, I think Hershiser's scoreless inning streak would be hard too, since there are just so many quality hitters now.
Going to the bold part, Clemens won 354 games, so.

sanfranfan1210
07-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't see it happening

Dirty Dirk41
07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Cals record wont be broken...thats just crazy.....the 56 game hit streak is just a crazy stat...RECORDS are made to be broken...there been other records out there that prolly had a discussion like this how they will NEVER be broke and they were....i think Someone COULD potentially hit in more than 56 straight games but its gunna take a rediculous effort

youkilisallstar
07-05-2008, 07:22 PM
It's not likely to happen, but it still could
IMO the only records that will never be broken is Cy Young's 511 wins and Ty Cobbs .367 lifetime batting average and Cal Ripkens streak.

Pooned11
07-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm never going to die so I will probably see it I don't know if you guys will though.

kyomack
07-06-2008, 03:45 PM
no one will beat tatis' record of hitting two grandslams in the same inning off the same pitcher

PapelbonLester
07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
jose reyes could do it. maybe an ellsbury or ichro. someone with blazing speed