PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the best available free agents

Fireworld
07-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Group I: Unrestricted free agents

1. Elton Brand, Clippers: Brand's decision to opt out of his contract with the Clippers took everyone by surprise. I spoke with two Clippers sources in the last 48 hours before the deadline and they both said there was no way he is opting out. Brand says he wants to re-sign with the Clippers and the most likely scenario is the Clippers re-upping Brand with a long-term deal.

The only other real play that Brand has is with the Sixers. They could offer him a deal starting at $12.4 million per year. However, most likely, he'll return to LA with a long-term deal.

2. Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: Arenas has turned himself into a max player over the past few years and, despite recent knee troubles, will likely cash in on his newfound celebrity status. While he continues to maintain publicly that his first choice is to re-sign with Washington, it's possible that, given his eccentricity, he could change his mind.

The biggest issue for Arenas is the same one that plagues all the free agents: Who else has the money to pay him? I can't see the 76ers or Grizzlies spending the cash. The Clippers would have interest, but Arenas already spurned them once.

3. Baron Davis, Warriors: Davis also shocked the world by opting out of his contract on Monday evening. He's in a difficult spot. As of this weekend, the two sides were still very far apart on the starting numbers of his contract. It sounds like Davis wouldn't mind moving on if he can't get a big deal and I wonder if the Warriors wouldn't mind reciprocating. They have a young player in Monta Ellis who could take over for Davis at the 1.

They also could be far under the cap this summer if Davis is dropped. That could free them up to pursue anyone ... including Gilbert Arenas. If Davis wants to return to Golden State, he's going to have to lower his sights. The Warriors (we hope) aren't stupid and aren't going to break the bank for him.

4. Corey Maggette, Clippers: Maggette has been on the trading block for years and appears eager to bolt the Clippers. He's making $7 million next season and should be due a raise.

Teams will be out in force trying to get him, but most will have only the midlevel exception to offer -- which would mean he'd be taking a pay cut. A sign-and-trade is the most likely option, with the Phoenix Suns looking like the team most interested in him. They could offer a swap of Leandro Barbosa that may interest L.A.

5. DeSagana Diop, Nets: He's only 25, but five points and five boards are about all you're going to get from him. Still, he's big and he plays good defense … meaning some team will blow its midlevel exception on him. I think Dallas is the front-runner to give him a ridiculous deal.

6. Beno Udrih, Kings: The Kings were impressed enough with his play that they felt no remorse in letting Mike Bibby go. But will they be able to keep him? As the only decent unrestricted point guard on the market, Udrih is drawing a lot of interest. Expect him to get multiple offers for the full midlevel from a number of teams desperate for a point guard. I'd put the Clippers at the top of the list.

7. Kurt Thomas, Spurs: He's 35 years old, but still tough enough to help just about any title contender. The Spurs got him in a steal of a deal at the trade deadline. Look for them to try to lock him up with a three-year deal this summer.

8. James Posey, Celtics: Posey helped himself with a strong performance against the Lakers in the Finals. He's another player who should get a three- to four-year midlevel deal somewhere.

9. Mickael Pietrus, Warriors: No one is sure why the Warriors didn't play Pietrus more. He's one of the most athletic defenders in the league and he's a solid 3-point shooter. Some team will pick him up and try to use him in a Bruce Bowen-type role.

10. Ricky Davis, Heat: The talented but troubled swingman hasn't helped his cause in his second tour with Miami. Pat Riley thought, after dumping him the first time, that Davis finally had the maturity to play for him. But Riley is clearly reassessing the situation. Davis looks like a midlevel-or-below type of player. I doubt he returns to the Heat.

Other notables: Kwame Brown, Grizzlies, Shaun Livingston, Clippers; Brent Barry, Spurs; Bostjan Nachbar, Nets; Carlos Arroyo, Magic; Chris Duhon, Bulls; Eduardo Najera, Nuggets; Matt Barnes, Warriors; Alonzo Mourning, Heat; Gerald Green, Rockets; Patrick O'Bryant, Warriors; Jason Williams, Heat; Juwan Howard, Mavs; Jarvis Hayes, Pistons; Robert Horry, Spurs; James Jones, Blazers; Michael Finley, Spurs; Jannero Pargo, Hornets; Damon Stoudamire, Spurs; Sam Cassell, Celtics; Jamaal Magloire, Nets; Kareem Rush, Pacers; Gordan Giricek, Suns; Michael Doleac, Timberwolves; Francisco Elson, Sonics; Keyon Dooling, Magic; Quinton Ross, Clippers; Antoine Wright, Mavericks; Fred Jones, Knicks; Juan Dixon, Pistons; Maurice Evans, Magic; Primoz Brezec, Raptors; Anthony Johnson, Kings; Tyronn Lue, Kings; Theo Ratliff, Pistons; Adonal Foyle, Magic; Sebastian Telfair, Timberwolves; Kirk Snyder, Timberwolves.

BADizzleBoY
07-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Dude wasn't this in espn insider?

JIDsanity
07-01-2008, 01:16 AM
It's definitely Kwame Brown. What a Fkn beast.

aussie
12-06-2010, 08:47 AM
It's definitely Kwame Brown. What a Fkn beast.

haha good joke :P

ino its old but haha

JermanJaysFan
12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Haha wtf? This is over 2 years old!

ShakeN'Bake
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Whats the point here?

JasonJohnHorn
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
This is an interesting post. Its fun to look band with 20/20 hindsight at how people looked at the free agent market. The downer here is that none of these players ended up making the type of impact both they and fans were hoping they would.

More-Than-Most
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Group I: Unrestricted free agents

1. Elton Brand, Clippers: Brand's decision to opt out of his contract with the Clippers took everyone by surprise. I spoke with two Clippers sources in the last 48 hours before the deadline and they both said there was no way he is opting out. Brand says he wants to re-sign with the Clippers and the most likely scenario is the Clippers re-upping Brand with a long-term deal.

The only other real play that Brand has is with the Sixers. They could offer him a deal starting at $12.4 million per year. However, most likely, he'll return to LA with a long-term deal.

2. Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: Arenas has turned himself into a max player over the past few years and, despite recent knee troubles, will likely cash in on his newfound celebrity status. While he continues to maintain publicly that his first choice is to re-sign with Washington, it's possible that, given his eccentricity, he could change his mind.

The biggest issue for Arenas is the same one that plagues all the free agents: Who else has the money to pay him? I can't see the 76ers or Grizzlies spending the cash. The Clippers would have interest, but Arenas already spurned them once.

3. Baron Davis, Warriors: Davis also shocked the world by opting out of his contract on Monday evening. He's in a difficult spot. As of this weekend, the two sides were still very far apart on the starting numbers of his contract. It sounds like Davis wouldn't mind moving on if he can't get a big deal and I wonder if the Warriors wouldn't mind reciprocating. They have a young player in Monta Ellis who could take over for Davis at the 1.

They also could be far under the cap this summer if Davis is dropped. That could free them up to pursue anyone ... including Gilbert Arenas. If Davis wants to return to Golden State, he's going to have to lower his sights. The Warriors (we hope) aren't stupid and aren't going to break the bank for him.

4. Corey Maggette, Clippers: Maggette has been on the trading block for years and appears eager to bolt the Clippers. He's making $7 million next season and should be due a raise.

Teams will be out in force trying to get him, but most will have only the midlevel exception to offer -- which would mean he'd be taking a pay cut. A sign-and-trade is the most likely option, with the Phoenix Suns looking like the team most interested in him. They could offer a swap of Leandro Barbosa that may interest L.A.

5. DeSagana Diop, Nets: He's only 25, but five points and five boards are about all you're going to get from him. Still, he's big and he plays good defense meaning some team will blow its midlevel exception on him. I think Dallas is the front-runner to give him a ridiculous deal.

6. Beno Udrih, Kings: The Kings were impressed enough with his play that they felt no remorse in letting Mike Bibby go. But will they be able to keep him? As the only decent unrestricted point guard on the market, Udrih is drawing a lot of interest. Expect him to get multiple offers for the full midlevel from a number of teams desperate for a point guard. I'd put the Clippers at the top of the list.

7. Kurt Thomas, Spurs: He's 35 years old, but still tough enough to help just about any title contender. The Spurs got him in a steal of a deal at the trade deadline. Look for them to try to lock him up with a three-year deal this summer.

8. James Posey, Celtics: Posey helped himself with a strong performance against the Lakers in the Finals. He's another player who should get a three- to four-year midlevel deal somewhere.

9. Mickael Pietrus, Warriors: No one is sure why the Warriors didn't play Pietrus more. He's one of the most athletic defenders in the league and he's a solid 3-point shooter. Some team will pick him up and try to use him in a Bruce Bowen-type role.

10. Ricky Davis, Heat: The talented but troubled swingman hasn't helped his cause in his second tour with Miami. Pat Riley thought, after dumping him the first time, that Davis finally had the maturity to play for him. But Riley is clearly reassessing the situation. Davis looks like a midlevel-or-below type of player. I doubt he returns to the Heat.

Other notables: Kwame Brown, Grizzlies, Shaun Livingston, Clippers; Brent Barry, Spurs; Bostjan Nachbar, Nets; Carlos Arroyo, Magic; Chris Duhon, Bulls; Eduardo Najera, Nuggets; Matt Barnes, Warriors; Alonzo Mourning, Heat; Gerald Green, Rockets; Patrick O'Bryant, Warriors; Jason Williams, Heat; Juwan Howard, Mavs; Jarvis Hayes, Pistons; Robert Horry, Spurs; James Jones, Blazers; Michael Finley, Spurs; Jannero Pargo, Hornets; Damon Stoudamire, Spurs; Sam Cassell, Celtics; Jamaal Magloire, Nets; Kareem Rush, Pacers; Gordan Giricek, Suns; Michael Doleac, Timberwolves; Francisco Elson, Sonics; Keyon Dooling, Magic; Quinton Ross, Clippers; Antoine Wright, Mavericks; Fred Jones, Knicks; Juan Dixon, Pistons; Maurice Evans, Magic; Primoz Brezec, Raptors; Anthony Johnson, Kings; Tyronn Lue, Kings; Theo Ratliff, Pistons; Adonal Foyle, Magic; Sebastian Telfair, Timberwolves; Kirk Snyder, Timberwolves.

:(

bahama0811
12-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Please don't bump old threads.