PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in Ben Sheets???

hgtiger32
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I was wondering if the Tigers had any interest in my Brewers pitcher Ben Sheets? Who would you be willing to give up for him....he's a FA after the year FYI

BK5931
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
They definitely need to add either Sheets, Sabathia or Harden next year. If Rogers, Pudge and Todd Jones go, that should free up enough cash to make it happen. They need a #2 guy, Bonderman is gonna be a decent back of the rotation guy from now on. Not a top of the order guy.

Verlander
Sheets, Sabathia or Harden
Bonderman
Willis or Armando (I think Willis will be back next year)
Robertson

IMO though I think Sabathia would be the best addition, if he is available. If Rogers goes they will need another lefty with or without Willis.

JMDTM
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I dont think willis will be back as a starter. I think he really is going to be a MRP. Sabathia, Harden, and Sheets should all be looked at. Another possibility would be spending more on Mussina. Hes really worth it in my opinion. Bonine should also be looked at. He is doing really good. Another idea is bringing up Porcello next year. He is a stud pitcher. I like to see what he can do with an early chance. And one more idea. Id love to see Brad Lidge brought in off the market next year as a Closer

Id love to see this.
Starters
Verlander
Mussina/Sabathia
Gallaraga/Sheets
Bonderman
Robertson/Bonine

Bullpen
Zumaya
Rodney
Seay
Miner
Willis
Dolsi
Lidge/Porcello

smarkow
07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Fist off, you need to be realistic on persuing free agent. our payroll is incredibly high this year and i can't imagine illitch coughing up too much more loot at this point.

Porcello - Not ready next year. the guy graduated from HS a year ago. he needs time to mature. bottom line, he's not ready until at least 2010.

Sabathia - doubt we'll cough up enough money to get this guy. He's going to the Yankees in the off season. There's just no way we're going to offer him $18-20 million, which is exactly what the yankees are going to do.

Mussina - give me a break. having a great year, but it won't last long. not willing to give him a contract unless its for $5 mill, maybe even less.

Bonine - keep him for now. so far he's proved he deserves to stay on this team

Gallaraga - i think could be really good. last night the runs were let in mostly on errors. then when he was trying to hit mauer, he lost his concentration and gave up another run. stupid idea at that point in the game. anyway, keep him.

Sheets - not sure about this guy. he's pretty injury prone, which is something this team does not need.

Harden - absolutely think we should make a run for this guy. he's 26 right now and damn good. Great addition.

Willis - who knows if this guy will ever be back in the majors. he needs to make some major changes.

Dolsi - gotta keep this guy

Rodney/Zumaya - both keepers.

Lidge - not sure we need a guy like him. with Dolsi, Rodney and Zoom, thre's not much room for him.

sweetlou1
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Good thing is we have time. Wait and see if Willis improves his location, if not, Harden is the best bet. Use Zumaya and Dolsi in a limited closer roll the rest of the year (when Jones needs rest) and see who is better prepaired. The problem is who's going to catch? Not a lot of quality in the minors and Inge said he doesn't want to catch on a full time bases. Renteria has not been a huge success and I don't see them picking up his option year, so who plays short? Does Carlos move back to short and Inge to third? I believe that Sheff is done after this year. Best bet is signing Thames to a decent deal, he's improved on his average since hes been playing more, DH him and use him to back up the outfield and first. Put Thomas, Larish or Clevlen in left on a full time bases and see if we can find a slick feilding short keep Carlos as 3rd and hope Inge will accept catching. Then see if we get Harden or Sheets for a quality #2. Mussina is to old. Bullpen will be fine...could use better long relief though...not sold on Minor.

DetTigers
07-01-2008, 03:07 PM
the question was who would we trade to get sheets and we dont have much to trade so thats why we will look at freddy garcia and we wont trade for a guy who wants big money after the season makes no sense

Epic89
07-01-2008, 06:14 PM
The Tigers should target Derek Lowe this offseason. First priority should be K-Rod though

mu4103
07-01-2008, 07:46 PM
The Tigers should target Derek Lowe this offseason. First priority should be K-Rod though

Target him now. With Rodney and Zumaya back there is room in the bullpan to trade for a starter.

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
:drool:

I have my doubts that K-Rod will be an Angel after this season. With that, teams are going to go crazy for him this offseason. If I'm the Tigers, I go hard after him. He's under 30, he's very good, and he doesn't have shoulder issues.

Considering both Billy Wagner and B.J. Ryan picked up monster contracts as the last two good Closers to hit the market, K-Rod is going to be very costly.

Honestly, the Tigers can't sit around waiting for Zumaya to put together a healthy season in hopes that he'll be the Closer for the future. K-Rod is a legit replacement/upgrade NOW (Well, next year). He's the man to pick up.

Finally, Derek Lowe might not be the worst idea, either. He's probably not going to command near as much as he did the last time he hit FA after 2004 when he was riding his great Postseason.

BK5931
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Inge at catcher next year, maybe sign Barrett or Lo Duca as back-up; Pudge might be able to take a limited role as well next year.

Closer, I would like to see them give Zumaya and Dolsi a shot next year

Renteria, I am not completely ready to sell him yet, but he is very limited at SS

Top Needs for next year as of now...
Backup catcher (let Pudge test the market and lowball him)
New SS, let Renteria go (I think Eckstein and Furcal are the best available)
New SP, must land either Harden, CC or Sheets
Closer, give the ball to Zumaya and Dolsi, they are ready
Bullpen, add a better lefty than Seay and Fossum (possibly have it in Willis)
DH, I think Sheff will stay out his contract

dmack7584
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
What I would do is to offer arbitration to Pudge and Kenny Rodgers I doubt that either one would take that offer as they could make more in the open market. I would assume that Pudge would be a type a free agent and net the tigers a first or second round pick plus a 1st round supp pick. I think Kenny Rodgers would be a type b player and net us a 2nd round supp pick. Todd Jones is a little more tricky as I think he would be a type a pick but I don't think there would be a market for him and would take our arbitration so I think we just cut the ties. Renteria is going to be kept because it is a net of 8 million to keep him and to get a decent short stop it will cost more then 8 million and only cost 1 million more then what he makes this year. I don't think we need sign a back up catcher as I think Dane Sardinha would be a decent back up as I expect Inge to catch full time next year.

We should save around 35 million with expiring contracts next year.

Our biggest concern as of right now is starting pitching. If we sign Freddy Garcia it is a mood point and I don't think we will sign anyone( I assume it would cost us around 8 million a year for 2-3 years.

I would rate the starting pichers like this
1. C.C. Sabathia-probably looking for a 20 million a year contract I would assume somewere around a 5 year 100 million contract.
2. Derek Lowe-innings eater who averages 200 innings per year the last 5 or 6 years with a sub 4.00 era the last few year. Would be a fantastic number 2 pitcher will command somewere around a 3 year 40 million contract.
3. Ben Sheets-has durability issues but has better durablity then Rich Harden, will take around 15-18 million to sign him.
4. Rich Harden-scared about his durablity, will comand 10-15 million a year cause he has ace like stuff.

I would like to see them sign KRod because he is a sure thing and Dolsi Zumaya could become great 7th and 8th inning type guys that would make the back end of our bull pen great. I don't think we will be able to afford KRod as he could make 15+ and I think that is more then we will be willing to pay. I think Zumaya ends up closing with Dolsi ending up being out 8th inning guy.

My gut says they sign Freddy Garcia. I think our rotation will look like this next year.

1. Verlander
2. Bondermen(has top of the rotation stuff if he could develop a chane up)
3. Garcia
4. Robertson
5. Gallarga

Bondomania
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
it will be a huge mistake in signing garcia. He is not the answer, and he has lost a TON of velocity. I think there are a lot of options out there, and i think lowe or garland would be a nice addition. Both are innings eaters that throw strikes. Garland is just a winner plain and simple, he finds ways to win games despite not striking out a ton. 7 and 5 with a sub 4 era. Also, i don't think Harden is a free agent after this year, i have checked all teh available 2009 free agents, and his name doesn't appear on any of them. Burnett is available, not sure why no one has mention him, he has ace stuff as well and has the same injury concerns as sheets and harden.

As far as the trades go, we don't have much left in the farm to deal for a guy like sheets, harden, or C.C. We might be able to go after a guy like garland or someone of that caliber, and burnett might be a buy cheap, or at least cheap for his abilities. His ERA is up right now, and it really seems like that Toronto team has packed it in this year... maybe we could pry him away for one of our outfield prospects, and maybe Larish or something...

Porcello isn't a bad choice, he should be given consideration at least next year. I still think he needs to get moved up to Erie, our double A rotation has been brutal this year... we need something though to finish out the season, bonine isn't the answer, i really think he will get exposed at the major league level

dmack7584
07-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Harden is a free agent in a couple of the sites I looked at. There is an option on his contract not sure who holds it.

With the whole Wills problem I think Detroit will make sure Garcia has all of his velocity and his stuff is back to what it was 3 years ago when he was an elite pitcher.

Speaking about Wills listening to Orel Hershiser was saying there was a mechanical flaw in his delivery and he thought he was correctable. He went on to say he thinks he will be back up by September and will be a top level talent. Steve Phillips on Mike and Mike in the morning also thought he would be able to come back from these mechanical flaws and should be back up. I think he might be a huge addition if he can get this figured out.

Bondomania
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
for sure, if he can correct it soon then that will be a huge lift.... his mechanical flaw i believe is in his plant foot, he isn't planting at the same spot or something like that... i think honestly part of it could be mental too. I think he might be trying to aim it to much out there instead of just letting it go and trusting his stuff. I do think it will help getting him down in florida though, in that mid-90's heat with humidity and get him on a work out routine to drop some pounds, because i think that that might also be part of the problem...

cantstopthee
07-03-2008, 03:59 PM
ive seen like 3 times now u guys saying harden being less then sheets and cc,either money wise or ace wise,HES THE BEST OUT OF THOSE THERE AND TOP 5 OR 6 IN THE MLB,15-22 MIL A SEASON.

lets get a sal cap mlb, no ones worth that much

dmack7584
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Last 4 year comparisons between the 4 guys I brougth up

W-L ERA In K WHIP G
Rich Harden
2008 5-0 2.25 72 88 1.10 12
2007 1-2 2.45 25.2 27 1.13 7
2006 4-0 4.24 46.2 49 1.22 9
2005 10-5 2.53 128 121 1.06 22
C.C. Sabathia
2008 6-8 3.83 122.1 123 1.23 18
2007 19-7 3.21 241 209 1.14 34
2006 12-11 3.22 192.2 172 1.17 28
2005 15-10 4.03 196.2 161 1.26 31
Derek Lowe
2008 5-8 3.88 111.1 82 1.27 18
2007 12-14 3.88 199.1 147 1.27 33
2006 16-8 3.63 218 123 1.27 35
2005 12-15 3.61 222 146 1.25 35
Ben Sheets
2008 9-2 2.83 111.1 91 1.07 16
2007 12-5 3.82 141.1 106 1.09 24
2006 6-7 3.82 106 116 1.24 17
2005 10-9 3.33 156.2 141 1.07 22

Just looking at the stats I don't see there is anyway we will go after Rich Harden unless it is discounted cause those numbers are scary how few innings he has pitched the last four years(compare his innings this year is just one more inning then Bondermen who has been out for a while).Sheets looks like he is on pace for 180+ innings this summer and looks to average around 150 innings a season. If the numbers are right he would be a decent pitcher he has front of the rotation type pitcher. Lowe is just an innings eater and would be a great number 2 pitcher. I don't see there is any way we get Sabathia.

Bondomania
07-05-2008, 10:57 AM
The one problem with signing sheets or harden is look at the win loss records. For having the "ace stuff" none of them have been healthy enough to get beyond 12 wins. I know wins and losses don't say much for pitchers, however, it does speak volumes as to how injury prone these guys really are. I wouldn't touch harden to be quite honest, plus i believe he still has an option for 2009, and the A's would be crazy not to excercise it. No one is going to give harden upwards of 20 mill. His injury history will deter everyone from it, however, some team could give him a 12 mill. base with a lot of performance clauses that could get him around 16 mill. when it's all said and done.

In my opinion, i think we need to go after Sheets in the offseason, and offer him an incentive based contract. Maybe sign him to 3 or 4 years. Bondo is not guaranteed to recover, although they say the surgery was successful, kenny might be retiring. Who knows what is going to happen with Dontrelle. Bonine hasn't impressed me at all. Galarraga has been money so far this season. Verlander is our ace, and Nate is Nate. That leaves two holes to fill, and i don't think Porcello is going to be ready by next year, therefore i think we are going to have to make a big splash with few prospects anywhere close to being ready. Oh yea, and there are rumblings that Zumaya could start for us in the future

Dalionking
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
i would like to trade renteria for aj burnett. they want a ss and we need a pitcher.

dmack7584
07-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Trade Rumor I heard from a friend at Baseball America. He told me the Tigers have talked about Mariners about Erik Bedard. He told the rumor is the Mariners have been told Porcello and Iorg are off limits. He said this is who they are said to be looking at.

Mariners would recieve: Armando Galarraga, Virgil Vasquez, Alfredo Figaro. Brandon Hamilton, and Matt Joyce

Tigers would recieve Erik Bedard, Adam Moore, and Ryan Feierabend

smarkow
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Trade Rumor I heard from a friend at Baseball America. He told me the Tigers have talked about Mariners about Erik Bedard. He told the rumor is the Mariners have been told Porcello and Iorg are off limits. He said this is who they are said to be looking at.

Mariners would recieve: Armando Galarraga, Virgil Vasquez, Alfredo Figaro. Brandon Hamilton, and Matt Joyce

Tigers would recieve Erik Bedard, Adam Moore, and Ryan Feierabend

I really hope this is just a rumor. I don't like it at all.

smarkow
07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, You can forget about Harden. Cubs just traded for him.

Bondomania
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
That deal isn't the worst thing i have seen, however, any deal we make cannot include galarraga... He has been one of our better pitchers thus far this season. I think we learned something in dealing guys like this, ex. Jair Jurjjens. Not to mention, what is the point of taking out our #3 pitcher and replacing him with another guy, it would seem that we would want to add Bedard without making any subtractions from our current rotation... i would be fine with dealing Virgil vazquez, and Hamilton (hamilton hasn't displayed any control at west michigan and could be 4 or 5 years away from being ready) and figaro. Then i would prefer to deal clevlen instead of joyce and maybe another prospect.

As far as what we would get, the catching prospect isn't putting up to shabby of numbers. I would also prefer to get that middle reliever Lowe instead of feierabend