PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis opts out of contract

x_notorious
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Just got word that Baron Davis has unexpectedly exercised his opt-out clause, foregoing the $17.8 million due him next season, and making him a free agent as of tomorrow. (The Clippers' Elton Brand just did the same). More details to come ASAP, but at the very least, this puts the Warriors' back at the negotiating table with their franchise PG, and perhaps makes a sign-and-trade more likely.

Link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=27732)

From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448)

Golden State Warriors' guard Baron Davis decided to opt out of the final year of his contract, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

He leaves $17.8 million on the table. Players had until 12:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday to exercise the option in their contracts to opt out.

Davis averaged 21.8 points, 4.7 rebounds and 7.6 assists last season for a Golden State team that went 48-34 but didn't make the playoffs. The two-time All-Star played in all 82 games last season.

Gilbert>TheRest
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
hell probably go the lakers

JordansBulls
06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Rockets need a PG. Also he could go to Cleveland if he wanted.

MiamiHeatFan4ev
no way man the lakers dont need baron davis how many times do we have to say this lakers dont need BD baron davis might be a clipper or bobcat

infamous
to the cavs :D

x_notorious
Also, some people in the Warriors forum mention that they saw this report on ESPN. No word on their website just yet though.

This is huge. He will command top dollar to play for a team, but I wonder who?

Iodine
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM

No way unless they allow them to play with 2 balls

The only place I think he would go is back to GSW barring a S&T

Vegasguy80
06-30-2008, 10:52 PM

First off, the Lakers can't pay him. They do no have close to 17 million to pay him. They have the MLE and that is it.

And this source is not reliable. This is no where on ESPN or NBA.com. Once a reliable source talks about this I will believe it

MiamiHeatFan4ev
Ok Baron Davis Is Going To The Knicks The Knicks There Desperate For A Point Guard You Know During The Playoofs There Were Rumors That Baron Davis Could Be A Knick....

dawgsfan_45
Ive heard on the radio that Detroit is looking at him.

Iodine
06-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok Baron Davis Is Going To The Knicks The Knicks There Desperate For A Point Guard You Know During The Playoofs There Were Rumors That Baron Davis Could Be A Knick....

:laugh:

Do0msday
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I could see Detroit going after him...especially if they're really going to trade Billups away. Maybe they plan on trading Billups to a team they can fleece (ie. the Knicks), or maybe the Lakers could offer something for him, like a package with Odom.

Either way, I'm a bit surprised that Davis opted out...though with that coach of his, could anyone really blame him? He's a very talented player, but I'm not too sure who could exactly afford him, especially with all the great free agents in '10...

ryanph30
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Dude...

:laugh2:

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
no way man the lakers dont need baron davis how many times do we have to say this lakers dont need BD baron davis might be a clipper or bobcat

why would he be a bobcat..they got felton and augustine now

Jimmy3702
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Baron Davis for Elton Brand sign & trade is the rumor...

Do0msday
06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
why would he be a bobcat..they got felton and augustine now

He'd be a Bobcat because everyone knows they're the best team in the league, followed by the Grizzlies... duh! ;)

Vegasguy80
How is that possible when they are both F.A.?

dawgsfan_45
Baron Davis for Elton Brand sign & trade is the rumor...

Is that even possible?

x_notorious
06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Mark Stein reported it on the ESPN headliner watching sportscenter just now.

kylem4711
06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
or sign elton and baron

dawgsfan_45
06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Stephen Gay Smith thinks he'll be going to the Knickerbockers. I think hes just being a homer

Do0msday
06-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Stephen Gay Smith thinks he'll be going to the Knickerbockers. I think hes just being a homer

First off, I like the way you added onto his name. It was a very nice touch.

Secondly, why do these people all think the Knicks can somehow squeeze him under their cap? Don't they realize how many people the Knicks will have to dump just so they can get him? Hell, if they get him then that already means David Lee is gone, which sucks because Lee is the best player on that team, hands down.

dawgsfan_45
06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
And they'll probably have to find someone else that will take Starbury's contract. Good luck with that...

DreamShaker
06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I think if they S&T him the teams he would fit best with would be the Rockets (please Lord), Cavs (I think him and Lebron could make it work), Clippers (no PG and no big time perimiter scorer), Heat (if the Heat wanted to pay the luxery tax), and the Knicks (if they got rid of Starbury).

DreamShaker
06-30-2008, 11:18 PM
First off, I like the way you added onto his name. It was a very nice touch.

Secondly, why do these people all think the Knicks can somehow squeeze him under their cap? Don't they realize how many people the Knicks will have to dump just so they can get him? Hell, if they get him then that already means David Lee is gone, which sucks because Lee is the best player on that team, hands down.

Wow.

dawgsfan_45
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I think he will end up on the Pistons. I mean if he was going to opt out of his contract suddenly wouldnt he want to go to a championship contender. Hes at his last few years of his "prime" and the knicks and clippers are going nowhere fast. Also Detroit is looking to dump some of there core.The heat probably wont trade for him because they'll be offering a huge contract to Beasley. I guess you said rockets just because you like them. Clippers maybe but I dont think he'd like to play there. Cavs...not happenen...i dont think they are looking to make any BIG moves this offseason.

DODGERS&LAKERS
I think he will go back to Golden State taking less money per year for more years. Probably around 13 mil for 5 years

Do0msday
Why is it a stretch to say David Lee is the best player on the Knicks? He's young, he's talented...who would you rather have, him or Randolph? Who would you rather have, him or Starbury? Lee or Balkman?

Vegasguy80
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Dude...

:laugh2:

You guys laugh but that is the biggest rumor around. Stephen A. Smith on ESPN has reported that too. He said Baron wants to go there!

dawgsfan_45
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
You guys laugh but that is the biggest rumor around. Stephen A. Smith on ESPN has reported that too. He said Baron wants to go there!

And everyone should believe what Stephen A. Smith says because Stephen A. Smith is God on Earth. He is the almighty god who can predict the future...he actually makes the future. Thats why the Hawks lost there series in four games. And everything else he has said has come truuuueee. I think we should rename our country to the United States of Stephen A. Smith

But on the side I would like to go to New York also. I really want to see all the purty lights in the Big Apple. But i cant cuz im stuck here in North Georgia.

tonyd3b54
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
for all u guys laughing at davis to the knicks... it was just on espn its a possibility...

DmL
06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Theres rumors that Brand opted out so the Clips could save some $ and sign Baron as well.

dawgsfan_45
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
for all u guys laughing at davis to the knicks... it was just on espn its a possibility...

Its a possibility but it's not possible. They don't have enough cap to get him. Unless they want to dump Lee, Starbury, and others. Plus Stephen A. Smith reported this. He rarely is right about anything.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
06-30-2008, 11:54 PM
the rockets dont have eough money to get him

GSW Hoops
06-30-2008, 11:54 PM
The only teams that can afford to pay him what he'll want are the Clips, Sixers, or Grizz....or us.

GSW Hoops
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM

ESPN is probably the last place I'd go for accurate sports news.

And besides, how could the Knicks possibly afford him?

KiLLA RAiDER
07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
He WILL be a KNICK!! Free agency just started!!!

dawgsfan_45
07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Wooooo Lets Party. Its Officially July 1st. And Baron Davis Will Not Be A Knick.

good spliff
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Are you kidding me? With all the insiders they have, please, you must be exaggerating.

dawgsfan_45
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Are you kidding me? With all the insiders they have, please, you must be exaggerating.

Like Stephen A. Smith

hoV23
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
baron sign and trade with marion to miami

x_notorious
I think he will go back to Golden State taking less money per year for more years. Probably around 13 mil for 5 years

That is very unlikely. If that were to happen, why wouldn't the Warriors just give Davis that extension in the first place? Plus 13 mil per? After just opting out in a deal that would have paid him 17.8 million next year? Makes no sense.

dawgsfan_45
baron sign and trade with marion to miami

is that an idea or for real?

hoV23
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
is that an idea or for real?

i think it makes the most sence out of all these trades and teams he might go to .. the knicks have marbury they owe 21 mill next season to so i dought there gonna be after baron ...and a sign and trade wount happen cuz GS dosent want marbury i think miami is a good place a sign and trade could happen with marion .. makes the most sence

dawgsfan_45
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Yea but it would make sense for GS because they have Azubukie (w/e) and Pietrus at the 3. I dont see where Marion would fit in Golden State's system.

Chronz
07-01-2008, 12:21 AM

Why?

What would be the first place?

x_notorious
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
At the age of 29, and the prime of his career, I would think Davis would want to go to a place that we would contend for a championship run. There are few teams how ever with cap space to sign him to a lucrative deal, which he is most likely looking for. A possible S&T could happen soon.

GUcci_lOUis V
07-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Why is everyone keep bringing up a sign and trade. BD is a free agent which means he can sign where ever so ya. And he will most likely end up with the clipps because they got the cap since Maggette is gone and i doubt Davis wants to leave the LA area since he has been here his whole life.

hoV23
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
azubukie and pietrus are both FA .. and marion and baron have the exact same contract both make 17 mill ... and there both 29

ellis
jackson
marion
harrington
biedrins

miami

baron
wade
beasly
hasslem
?

TMAC94
07-01-2008, 12:57 AM
Rockets need a PG. Also he could go to Cleveland if he wanted.

he wont go houston, we dont have enough money for him, we have yao and tmac, unless its a sign and trade but he could go cleveland.

ajharry
07-01-2008, 01:02 AM

If Arenas is getting 17 million/season, you know Baron is gonna be getting at least the same.

jgonboricua
07-01-2008, 01:37 AM
miami would be dangerous with a davis/wade/beasley tandem

Epic89
07-01-2008, 01:51 AM
The Clippers' interest is genuine...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AidqCAZo5718D7a9SleIL0S8vLYF?slug=aw-barondavisfreeagent063008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

kombayn
07-01-2008, 01:58 AM
I personally want the Clippers to make a push for Gilbert Arenas but I'll be happy with Baron Davis. I'm interested in a Marion & 1st for Brand exchange.

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 02:08 AM
I think he will end up on the Pistons. I mean if he was going to opt out of his contract suddenly wouldnt he want to go to a championship contender. Hes at his last few years of his "prime" and the knicks and clippers are going nowhere fast. Also Detroit is looking to dump some of there core.The heat probably wont trade for him because they'll be offering a huge contract to Beasley. I guess you said rockets just because you like them. Clippers maybe but I dont think he'd like to play there. Cavs...not happenen...i dont think they are looking to make any BIG moves this offseason.

No I think that the Rockets have been looking for an oppertunity to take a guy like Davis for a very long time....in fact....for years and years has name has come up in trade rumors to the Rockets....and they need a guy like him to win it all....scoring, size, and most importantly the ability to get to the basket and create is what the Rockets re lacking and they will absolutely pursue him ina S&T

The Cavs better start making moves soon....because thier franchise guy is not gonna stay if the team stays how it is now....

The Clippers actually have all the pieces to be a contender if they keep Brand and he gets back to what he was...and with young assets and Maggette they could make another trade to get immediate help....

Leftcoast_yg
07-01-2008, 04:15 AM
And everyone should believe what Stephen A. Smith says because Stephen A. Smith is God on Earth. He is the almighty god who can predict the future...he actually makes the future. Thats why the Hawks lost there series in four games. And everything else he has said has come truuuueee. I think we should rename our country to the United States of Stephen A. Smith

But on the side I would like to go to New York also. I really want to see all the purty lights in the Big Apple. But i cant cuz im stuck here in North Georgia.
haha s.a.s. god, yeah right!!!, but i did hear about him wanting to go to the knicks i dont know why apparently monta ellis would too, but i dont think B.D. would mind playing for his hometown he is from los angeles i wouldnt mind playing for my town even if it is the clippers i'll still be in L.A. with my family and friends playing at home that is every nba players dream to play for their team, imagine if the bucks would be willing to trade richard jefferson for corey maggette and mobley i know RJ wouldnt mind playing in his hometown either the clippers would have some hometown boys just like the lakers do....

baron davis(takes a pay cut)/eric gordon
richard jefferson(sign and trade for maggette)/ quinton ross(resigns)
al thorton/tim thomas
elton brand(resigns)/josh powell
chris kaman/???
that would be a very talented line up

D-Amazins
07-01-2008, 04:42 AM
NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!!

The NBA has to let go of the salary cap..how dumb is it that such few teams can go after a player...makes FA boring.

JordansBulls
07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
No I think that the Rockets have been looking for an oppertunity to take a guy like Davis for a very long time....in fact....for years and years has name has come up in trade rumors to the Rockets....and they need a guy like him to win it all....scoring, size, and most importantly the ability to get to the basket and create is what the Rockets re lacking and they will absolutely pursue him ina S&T

The Cavs better start making moves soon....because thier franchise guy is not gonna stay if the team stays how it is now....

The Clippers actually have all the pieces to be a contender if they keep Brand and he gets back to what he was...and with young assets and Maggette they could make another trade to get immediate help....

Who would the Rockets trade for him?

Faneik
07-01-2008, 08:17 AM
How is that possible when they are both F.A.?

When teams are over the salary cap they can't offer contracts to Free Agents.

Imagine this:

-The Knicks are over the cap but have interest in Baron, under the league rules they cannot offer him a contract straight up...

-What can they do is this:
-Reveal their interest to GSW, if GSW has interest in any Knick player(s) and if Baron WOULD LIKE to go the Knicks, Baron signs a new deal with the GSW and gets traded to the knicks for player(s) who can match the contracts...

TMAC94
07-01-2008, 08:55 AM
NEW YORK KNICKS!!!!!

The NBA has to let go of the salary cap..how dumb is it that such few teams can go after a player...makes FA boring.

maybe not take it away maybe increase it a little maybe too about 65 mil? around there then it'd give teams a team go at the FAs

marques724
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I think he ends up in LA with the clippers

DreamShaker
07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Who would the Rockets trade for him?

Landry, Jackson, and thier first rounder?? And throw in some fillers?

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Ive heard on the radio that Detroit is looking at him.

S&T with Billups maybe?

dawgsfan_45
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
S&T with Billups maybe?

I think that might have been one of the trades they were talking about.

hockeypro68
07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'll be furious if Davis ends up in Detroit. Clippers need to sign him. NEED to.