PDA

View Full Version : Player Who Won A Ring By Himself

JJ_JKidd
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Is there a player (in modern NBA) that has won a Championship by himself?

Yall whine that Kobe couldnt have won it without Shaq, but can Shaq win it without Kobe? Can Shaq win it with the Heat without Wade? Or Wade without Shaq?

Magic without Kareem?
Jordan without Pippen and Rodman?
Celtics (current and 80s) BIG THREE without either one of em?

The list goes on and on...

Your thoughts?

Iodine
06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
The closest thing in recent times has been Duncan in 03 but even then he had help

stevefrancis
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
hakeem in 94 his first ring he didnt really have any other all-star players

DreamShaker
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
The closest thing in recent times has been Duncan in 03 but even then he had help

Hakeem on the 94 Rockets was closer....the year before Drex was there....but he had great role players....Cassell (as a rookie), Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Mad Max, Horry, Ellie....all great compliments to his skills....it's a team sport....

NYMetros
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
No, no one can win a ring without help. Basketball is a team sport...it takes 5 guys playing together and working cohesively to win an NBA championship. It can't just be 1 great player demanding the ball and telling everyone else to get out of his way. Good teams will find a way to stop that, and will force that player to pass the ball. Which, if you don't have help, will be a very bad thing for you...

Iodine
06-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Hakeem on the 94 Rockets was closer....the year before Drex was there....but he had great role players....Cassell (as a rookie), Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Mad Max, Horry, Ellie....all great compliments to his skills....it's a team sport....

Forgot about that year lol

Draco
06-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Who complained that Kobe couldn't win a ring by himself?
I think you're pointing out that it's a rather hard thing to prove since basketball is a team sport rather than 5 on 1.

Lets be clear. The accusation is Kobe can't dominate a series or will his team to win a Finals game (let alone a series or a championship) How about even just having a consistently decent Finals performance. How'd ya like that Game 6 stinker? Think anyone on those teams you mentioned had that kind of performance?

By the way, Jordan won rings without Rodman.. and although Pippen was his teammate through those championship years that hardly proves the point that Jordan couldn't win without him.

Dont know enough about the teams that had Magic and Kareem.

NYMetros
06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Who complained that Kobe couldn't win a ring by himself?

Shaq...

Draco
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Shaq...

Besides Shaq :D

Dod55Lak17Raid2
06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I totally agree it really bothers me when people say that kobe would have no rings without shaq. but i cant recall a team that the superstar did by themselfs thats why its 5 on 5 and basketball is the unltimate team sport.

2nd_COMING
06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
never happened, never will.

JJ_JKidd
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Who was in the team back then, cant remember.

hakeem in 94 his first ring he didnt really have any other all-star players

Yeah I thought of that also. No other all-star player

Similar to Timmy's?

No, no one can win a ring without help. Basketball is a team sport...it takes 5 guys playing together and working cohesively to win an NBA championship. It can't just be 1 great player demanding the ball and telling everyone else to get out of his way. Good teams will find a way to stop that, and will force that player to pass the ball. Which, if you don't have help, will be a very bad thing for you...

What I meant was another All-Star or All-Stars for that matter.

Iodine
06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Who was in the team back then, cant remember

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003.html

And Sjax had a really really really really(etc.) bad finals

madiaz3
06-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Closest thing would be Hakeem.

Ph1lly Diehard
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
If Allen Iverson would have won it in 2001, that would of litterally been by himself

JordansBulls
06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Pointless thread.

Basketball is 5-5 not 1-1. This is not golf nor tennis.

It's true that a player has had more impact than anyone else on his team, but never won anything by himself.