PDA

View Full Version : 2009 offseason

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
06-30-2008, 06:18 PM
I know its hard to look ahead in the NBA because anything is possible. Lets just say we don't trade away any of our expiring contracts away (wally,damon,J.Smith,Varejao) this offseason. Who are some possible free-agents we could sign?

Sbank
06-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Boozer, Okafor to name a few that worth noting

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Boozer, Okafor to name a few that worth noting

I wonder how Clevelanders would react if the Cavs signed Boozer next off-season? I certainly would love to have him I think we would've won a Championship already if we had him.

Talm
07-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Even if we held on to the contracts we are so far over the salary cap that even with those names coming off the books, we wouldn't have the cap space to sign a marquee free agent unless it was through a sign-and-trade.

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
We won't be under the cap even if we let all of those expire, so they are much more valuable to us as trade assets.

Also, Boozer is not coming back to Cleveland. :pity:

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 02:48 PM
We won't be under the cap even if we let all of those expire, so they are much more valuable to us as trade assets.

Also, Boozer is not coming back to Cleveland. :pity:

Wow so if we don't make some kind of trade with Wally and all of the other expiring contracts they are just a waste. We don't get anything out of it..?

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Wow so if we don't make some kind of trade with Wally and all of the other expiring contracts they are just a waste. We don't get anything out of it..?

Precisely. We would have a lower amount of total salaries, but we'd still be over the cap. So we wouldn't have much freedom. Just the MLE, LLE & veteran's minimum would be available for our use.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Precisely. We would have a lower amount of total salaries, but we'd still be over the cap. So we wouldn't have much freedom. Just the MLE, LLE & veteran's minimum would be available for our use.

So Ferry probably will try to get something for these guys since something is better then nothing..I never see you (Indiansfan337) post your opinion in what Cavs should, what do you think is the most likely thing to happen this off-season?

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
So Ferry probably will try to get something for these guys since something is better then nothing..I never see you (Indiansfan337) post your opinion in what Cavs should, what do you think is the most likely thing to happen this off-season?

Well, I'm not too sure what is likely to happen. Ferry knows that they need help. And he knows that LeBron wants help.

But I don't think Redd can be had right now. If the rumors of Baron Davis heading to LAC to team with Brand are true then both of them are off limits for us as well. Obviously, Jermaine O'Neal is no longer an option. So, in terms of big name players, the only ones left are Vince Carter, Zach Randolph, and maybe a few others.

I don't think those guys are the answer, although they are the only realistic options right now.

So I would say we go into the regular season with the team pretty much intact from last year. Then I hope & pray that a few teams start losing & then shop the expiring contracts & 1st round pick VERY HARD for Ron Artest, Josh Howard, or maybe a darkhorse, depending on how those teams perform in the first 2-3 months of the season. I think those guys could be had at midseason next year, and they are better than what is available right now. So I think we will mostly sit tight this summer & wait. Dallas isn't going to trade Howard right now, but if they find themselves sitting in 6-10th in the West in December, January or February I think that they very well may reconsider that.

With all of that being said, I still would go very hard this summer at Baron Davis, James Posey & Corey Maggette until they are off the market. I know all three are very unlikely to come to Cleveland, but I would still try for them, because they are clear upgrades for our team.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
If B.Davis is a Clipper does that make Maggette easier to get?

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
If B.Davis is a Clipper does that make Maggette easier to get?

Yes, I think it means that the Clippers renounced Maggette's rights. Unless Baron Davis agrees to play for the MLE, which I see highly unlikely.

I've heard that Maggette wants to play for Orlando & the interest is mutual. So we'll see what happens with him in the next few days.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Yes, I think it means that the Clippers renounced Maggette's rights. Unless Baron Davis agrees to play for the MLE, which I see highly unlikely.

I've heard that Maggette wants to play for Orlando & the interest is mutual. So we'll see what happens with him in the next few days.

Yea I heard Orlando Maggette's home town. Anyway thanks for the answer to my question.

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Yea I heard Orlando Maggette's home town. Anyway thanks for the answer to my question.

I didn't know it was his hometown, but they are the first NBA team that he played for. :eyebrow:

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
I didn't know it was his hometown, but they are the first NBA team that he played for. :eyebrow:

I might have miss read something then probably isn't his hometown.

IndiansFan337
07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I might have miss read something then probably isn't his hometown.

He probably does own a home there since he played there originally?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
He probably does own a home there since he played there originally?

Yea thats it I think the article said something like that.

-J-J-H-
07-02-2008, 12:08 AM
i think the cavs should trade for vince carter him and king james playing together that would would be nice

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
i think the cavs should trade for vince carter him and king james playing together that would would be nice

I wouldn't mind getting Carter. I know some people worried about taking a risk on a player who could be on a drastic decline, but if you look at his 07-08 stats they were pretty darn good if he is on the decline, he would have to go on a ridiculous decline for it to be even considered drastic. The again you do have injuries who haunt him, which is a scary risk..