PDA

View Full Version : FA Available (Centers)

mexceltic
06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
If... PJ decides to step out and retire and since im dont see how or why the Cīs resign injured Pollard...

There are a few other big bodies besides Zo and Mutombo.... to back up Perk in the middle....

- Nenad Kristic
- Andris Biedrins
- old buddie Theo
- Desagna Diop
- or........ Kwame for $99.99 with a $20 buck refund!!!!!

Wich do u like??

Global Celtic
06-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Biedrins is clearly the best, but he's a restricted and we could only get him by a sign-and-trade.

MiamiHeat
06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
i would love the heat to get biedrins

rufo4100
06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
If... PJ decides to step out and retire and since im dont see how or why the Cīs resign injured Pollard...

There are a few other big bodies besides Zo and Mutombo.... to back up Perk in the middle....

- Nenad Kristic
- Andris Biedrins
- old buddie Theo
- Desagna Diop

Wich do u like??

Most of these guys will cost too much, except for Theo Ratliff but he is so injury prone that I dont think he is a good option. I still say Zo is the best option of the bunch.

Adonyle Foyle might actually be an option...as much as I hate him or Michael Doleac or even Scot Pollard back.

Shaiza
06-30-2008, 07:58 PM

- Nenad Kristic
- Andris Biedrins
- old buddie Theo
- Desagna Diop

Wich do u like??

With a coupon I heard you can get him for $49.99.

tonyd3b54
06-30-2008, 08:44 PM
id take kwame on this team...he only needs to be a back up not to live up to the potential people think he used to hav...

rufo4100
06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
id take kwame on this team...he only needs to be a back up not to live up to the potential people think he used to hav...

even as a backup Kwame has been bad. He also isnt really what we need as he is a PF and not really a center. He also isnt tough. The only upside is that Kwame is still so young he might be a super late bloomer like Jermaine O'neal was, but it seems unlikely.

MilledgeGomez
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I dont like any of the options give me P.J.

tonyd3b54
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
even as a backup Kwame has been bad. He also isnt really what we need as he is a PF and not really a center. He also isnt tough. The only upside is that Kwame is still so young he might be a super late bloomer like Jermaine O'neal was, but it seems unlikely.

u do know kwame is 6'11'' 270.... if thats not a center idk wat is...

Corey
07-01-2008, 12:59 AM
If Pollard's healthy..He's a good option. He basically did everything PJ did before he went down.

Faneik
07-01-2008, 04:52 AM
If Pollard's healthy..He's a good option. He basically did everything PJ did before he went down.

Hmmm...I don't think Pollard has the mid-range game PJ has...But he's a solid defender and rebounder, I'll give him that...

As for the OP list, the best choices for me are:

-Biedrins: it's reported that GSW will match any offers

-Diop: imo, the best choice, because of his defensive mentality, would suit us very well...(too expensive for a sub C?)

-Kwame: please FO don't even think about this guy, his basketball IQ is very very below average, we need players who fully understand what's their role in the court.

Ewagner
07-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I go Kwame. Like it was said he is still young and i think garnett beating him up in practice would have to help. the kid obviously has some skills. with pierce, garnett, and allen you would figure he would be able to lift that basketball IQ. A one year deal for him would be cheaper than any other option out there.

cocossox
07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Andris Biedrins

Corey
07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Andris Biedrins

Not going to happen. Golden State would be willing to pay a good amount of money for him. Money we don't have.

cocossox
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
I go Kwame. Like it was said he is still young and i think garnett beating him up in practice would have to help. the kid obviously has some skills. with pierce, garnett, and allen you would figure he would be able to lift that basketball IQ. A one year deal for him would be cheaper than any other option out there.I agree KB has the skills to be very good but too much of a head case punk, why would we wanna break the good karma now, imo hes too much of a gamble to take.

Corey
07-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Not much of a gamble if we sign Kwame for the minimum, though. If he doesn't work out, we just cut him and it wont hurt our cap much/at all.

cocossox
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Not going to happen. Golden State would be willing to pay a good amount of money for him. Money we don't have.I know I just picked which one I thought was best...:)

rufo4100
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Im sorry but POllard did absolutely nothing for the Celtics this year. If he is healthy I would give him a chance but that is a big "if" adn he really hasnt done anything in the NBA for 3 years. PJ did much more than POllard did and PJ was essential to the Celts in the playoffs. At no time this year was Pollard essential.

Having said this I dont think PJ will play again so we need to look at other options. I think Pollard is a last option if we cant find somebody else.

rufo4100
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
u do know kwame is 6'11'' 270.... if thats not a center idk wat is...

Garnett is 7 feet and he isnt a center either. Tim Duncan is 6'11 and isnt a center. Just something to think about

Corey
07-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Im sorry but POllard did absolutely nothing for the Celtics this year. If he is healthy I would give him a chance but that is a big "if" adn he really hasnt done anything in the NBA for 3 years. PJ did much more than POllard did and PJ was essential to the Celts in the playoffs. At no time this year was Pollard essential.

Having said this I dont think PJ will play again so we need to look at other options. I think Pollard is a last option if we cant find somebody else.

Pollards been more than serviceable his entire career. Before he went down with the injury, he was a good defensive big off the bench, and a solid rebounder. He might not have a great offensive game, but he gets put backs and garbage points off offensive rebounds.

I don't know if he's going to play next season, but he's a good alternative to Brown.

tonyd3b54
07-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Garnett is 7 feet and he isnt a center either. Tim Duncan is 6'11 and isnt a center. Just something to think about

garnett isnt a center becuase he 220lbs...duncan i hav noidea y they dont play him at center but my guess is to keep him from getting beat up against the brusing centers of the nba...

Ewagner
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
garnett isnt a center becuase he 220lbs...duncan i hav noidea y they dont play him at center but my guess is to keep him from getting beat up against the brusing centers of the nba...

actually if memory serves me correct duncan was a center when he came in the league. they moved robinson to the power forward

rufo4100
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
actually if memory serves me correct duncan was a center when he came in the league. they moved robinson to the power forward

wrong...robinson played center and duncan PF. Anyway its not that big a deal. My point earlier was that the celts need a guy who could play both positions and who could bang and be tough like Pollard did for a very little bit this year and then like PJ did for them.

Yes if Kwame would sign for very cheap he might be worth a gamble but a backup center who is tougher and could bang a bit is somebody who I'd prefer....a guy like Alonzo Mourning comes to mind ;)

vince wilfort
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
What about Kurt Thomas? Biedrins and Diop will probably get big offers, but Thomas probably won't cost a lot of money. He's experienced, plays nice post defense, and he is a decent scorer off the bench.

rufo4100
07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
What about Kurt Thomas? Biedrins and Diop will probably get big offers, but Thomas probably won't cost a lot of money. He's experienced, plays nice post defense, and he is a decent scorer off the bench.

Thomas is a guy Boston might consider. Good idea.

69centers
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I just read today (forgot which of all those articles it was) that Pollard's surgery on both ankles went well and he expects to be fully healthy next year, and he wants to play for the C's again. I'm sure he's got his Planet Pollard star status to think about, too.

While he's definitely not quite as athletic as PJ, he is very skilled under the basket, and can handle defensive assignments on heavier big men than PJ. I have no problem taking a healthy Pollard back. He always plays hard when he's out there, and he also gets under the opposing center's skin.

Remember that game last year against Orlando where Howard was scoring at will in the first half until Pollard came in and took him defensively. He kept jawing at him, thew him off his game, and I don't believe Howard scored again the whole time Pollard was on him. Pollard got him so mad that Howard picked up a technical. That's a nice asset to have in my book.

futureheisman
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Kurt thomas would be reat to have

according to boston.com there talking to chris anderson

mexceltic
07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
besides Andersen a Thomas (and the ones mentioned on every reply) there are a few more to be considered:

- Adonal Foyle (Orlando)
- Brian Skinner (Phx)
- Jamal Magloire (Mavs)
- David Harrison (Pacers)
- DJ Mbenga (Lakers with capital L)
- Jake Voshkul (Bucks)
- Michael Doleac (Twolves)
- Francisco Elson (Sonics)

I guess Danny will have a busy summer.... cause having one ankle problem is a huge risk on one player.... having both ankles surgery is hell of risk! Dont think Pollard return

Corey
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
cause having one ankle problem is a huge risk on one player.... having both ankles surgery is hell of risk! Dont think Pollard return

Ever hear of a guy named Ray Allen? He came back from double ankle surgery pretty well :)

tonyd3b54
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
thomas is the best fit for this team...

mexceltic
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Ever hear of a guy named Ray Allen? He came back from double ankle surgery pretty well :)

u r right, but u dont make a $ DEAL $ (and by that i meant RISK) until u r full aware of recovery such as the celtics did (past physicals) to make the deal... but yeah!! iīll agree with u, (since i had 2 surgeryīs on my left knee) and ALL depends on mental determination on a full painfull REHAB.

so if u have other chances, wich way will u take?

Corey
07-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I personally like Pollard because he already knows the system, we know he can rebound and defend, and he's already well-liked by pretty much everyone.

If he's healthy, I'd love to have him back.

I just don't think any of the other free agents (realistic free agents) will be able to do anything significantly better than Pollard, so it would be fine to just resign him, and save time instead of re-teaching the system.

bbhsginner25
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
corey, you are telling me that you want the guy back who pretty much sat with scal the entire season, only coming in every 10 games to foul dwight howard six times.............and you know waht, you are 100% correct on this one. that really all this team needs. i see powe and davis getting more minutes this season, so we need a part time big man to come in to bang around the bad matchups. pollard would be fine. just someone who will take the league minimum and work hard

cmoneytakemoney
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
What about Chris "The Birdman" Andersen? If he can stay off the smack he'd be a great pickup. LOL. No seriously though Andersen is just as good as any of the big men mentioned and plays with a lot more energy than all of them too. He's a huge spark off the bench I think.

Corey
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
corey, you are telling me that you want the guy back who pretty much sat with scal the entire season, only coming in every 10 games to foul dwight howard six times.............and you know waht, you are 100% correct on this one. that really all this team needs. i see powe and davis getting more minutes this season, so we need a part time big man to come in to bang around the bad matchups. pollard would be fine. just someone who will take the league minimum and work hard

He sat a majority of the season due to injury, not incapability.

cmoneytakemoney
07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Well guys looks like The Birdman is landing in Boston. Just seen it on Fox Sports Tonight that the Celtics are close to a deal with him and Dickerson, Felger, and Donny Marshall think it would be an excellent pickup. I do too.

celtics20
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
lol i like what you put by kwame thats hilarious. I would take diop or biedrins they are two different types of players but both i'd say above average. I think Diop would fit in the celtics system better tho

Corey
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
lol i like what you put by kwame thats hilarious. I would take diop or biedrins they are two different types of players but both i'd say above average. I think Diop would fit in the celtics system better tho
Diop's going back to the Mavs, and the Warriors wont let Biedrins leave.

CelticTradition
07-04-2008, 02:12 AM
contrary to most i think Diop is the best option. Since our offense is such that we dont need much offense from our 5 position i think a person that is focused on defense (smart defense) would fit in pretty nice. Though the c's probally wont get him (as noted above by corey), but just to answer the question as stated i like diop among the options listed

as for pollard i think the only knock on him is the fact that he doesn't have much lift which kinda puts him int he category of centers that play defense by taking charges and beating their opponent to the spot. and i dont think pollards lateral movement is what it usedd to be so he might be another varosow (the guy from the cavs that flops all the time). I guess i am just partial to shot blocking centers......so forgive me. but i love scot's hustle and the fact he is a JAYHAWK

69centers
07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I read Diop is about to sign elsewhere. Besides Andersen, the C's are also giving workouts to David Harrison and Patrick O'Bryant. Two big 7 footers.