PDA

View Full Version : 76'ers showing great interest in Jose

North Yorker
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
4. Jose Calderon, Raptors: Calderon played at an All-Star level this past season. When T.J. Ford went down with injuries, he became the leader of the Raptors and proved to be the best true point guard on the free-agent market.

The Raptors say they'll match any offer for Calderon and I believe them -- especially now that they've agreed to a trade with the Pacers that will ship T.J. Ford to Indiana. As it stands now, he's their only point guard. Still, don't be shocked if the Sixers make a big offer to him. They need a long-term replacement for Andre Miller and I hear Sixers GM Ed Stefanski is a big fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Now the Sixers are one of the few teams with the cap space to sign a high priced FA, but if they decide that they want Jose, they could throw a lot of $ at him and and force us to pay big for him. But there isn't a doubt in my mind that he'll stay with the Raps, but at a high price.

Silver.
06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
S&T for Igoudala

AgentViet
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
He'll deserve whatever he gets paid unless it's a max contract. I'd go up to 10Mill per year for him.

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
dont worry jose is not going anywhere he noes that the raptors have a really good chance to go far in the postseason and playoffs and sixers are not going anywhere in the postseason and sixers are not going anywhere in the playoffs so sixers dont get to excited ahahhahahahaah

Bramaca
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
dont worry jose is not going anywhere he noes that the raptors have a really good chance to go far in the postseason and playoffs and sixers are not going anywhere in the postseason and sixers are not going anywhere in the playoffs so sixers dont get to excited ahahhahahahaah

I could see the Sixers being really good next year, I don't think a good playoff run is out of the question for them at all. And with Calderon they would be even better. Even if they make an offer and the Raps match they still win because it would force the Raps to sign Jose for more then they wanted to pay.

Ragun
06-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Lol...Raptors will match anything.

North Yorker
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I could see the Sixers being really good next year, I don't think a good playoff run is out of the question for them at all. And with Calderon they would be even better. Even if they make an offer and the Raps match they still win because it would force the Raps to sign Jose for more then they wanted to pay.

that's what I was thinking. I know he's gonna be on the team but for how much.

Tom Stone
06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
The sixers shoudn't waste their time trying to sign jose...He's our only piont gaurd and were going forward with him.....BC already said we'll match...and there's no other point gaurd were interested in....so like I said..... sixers stop wasteing your time and covert another point gaurd.

cdnsportsfan
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Calderon stated in his blog how his ambition is to be a starter on whatever team he plays for, to help them to his maximum capability, and said that his priority is with his team and not his ego. Considering all the moves the Raps have made lately I think the Raps could even fall a little short of matching an offer the Sixers make but still keep Jose - BC likely will match the offer though anyways - because Toronto is really showing Calderon some love right now.

He sounds like he's not that greedy of a player, and on top of that he's a fan favourite and Colangelo is giving him what he wants on the court. I don't see him being stolen in a bidding war.

maxgraham
06-30-2008, 05:09 PM
could other teams use this knowledge to force the raps to pay more than they would like, thus lowering the money the raps can spend on improving? i would think every eastern team would be interested in anything they could do to keep any other team down

Halladay
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
The Raps have said they'll match anything but I doubt BC would match at all costs, if a team makes some insane offer, BC would have to sit back and rethink things. Philly is apparantely looking to move Iggy so I dont see why they just wouldn't use Iggy to bring a prime player in. They could also ship out Miller. They would also have to get Jose to sign an offer sheet, a small important detail people forget about.

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
hopefully they don't try to screw over the raptors organization and try to bluff there way into making the Raptors overpay for Calderon..

_Sn1P3r_
06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Lol...Raptors will match anything.

They will. BC made that clear and that's why we're trading JO.

canzano55
06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Even if they make an offer and the Raps match they still win because it would force the Raps to sign Jose for more then they wanted to pay.
True but that would also mean the Sixers would be committed. Say they offer more than 12 million and we don't match it which would mean the Sixers are responsible for his 50 million dollar contract. Although the Sixers are a capable team they are missing pieces other than PG and its also hearsay if they can afford to give Jose that kind of money.

dirtybird
06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
The thing is, there's a whole bunch of other player who are better than Jose, so my thinking would be that they would pursue them 1st. Plus, Jose's already fired his North American agent (and hasn't hired another), so that would lead me to think that the negotiations are going to be pretty short and he isn't planning on shopping himself to other teams.

DaoudS
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
i would look at what i could get for calderon, but the 1st priority would be resigning him long term

Countdown
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Why would we let Jose slip away? we have to match any offer given or, we should give him an offer right now, before he considers another offer.

RoyHalladay#32
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
We traded Ford because BC has every intention to keeping Jose a Raptor.

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
ya but there had to be a fine line..i dont think BC wuold match 15m a year for 5 years..i know it seems crazy but hey its the NBA anything can happen..

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
We traded Ford because BC has every intention to keeping Jose a Raptor.

exactly....i really dont think the sixers wil waste their time cuz they know we traded t.j and we realy want to keep jose...

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I just don't see the point in the 76ers offering Jose 10 mil. Do they really want to invest 20 mil in the PG position? I think they have higher priorities.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, what if Philly offered their PG and a good young wing as part of the package coming back for Toronto?

For example:

To TOR: Andre Miller ($10M) + Thaddeus Young ($2M)

To PHI: Jose Calderon (S&T $10M) + Joey Graham ($2.5M)

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, what if Philly offered their PG and a good young wing as part of the package coming back for Toronto?

For example:

very funny man

AgentViet
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM

For example:

Switch Iggy with Miller and I'd still have to debate it.

torontosports10
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
getting Thad woujld be sweet but they would neevr deal away with him ... i just hope BC signs him to a etension before somone offers BIG money to him cause someone will

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 07:39 PM
very funny man

I'm not quite sure I follow.

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 07:46 PM

man who would do that trade..sorry

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM

i think he is referring to the fact that the 76ers would be getting royally screwed in that deal.

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 07:59 PM
i think he is referring to the fact that the 76ers would be getting royally screwed in that deal.

no man the raptors would do that trade

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 08:00 PM
no man the raptors would do that trade

"Would" or "Wouldn't"

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 08:02 PM
"Would" or "Wouldn't"

I am unsure at this point.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I think it's a pretty decent deal, considering that Calderon's one of the league's elite young point guards and would be signed long-term.

Miller on the other hand is also a very good point guard, but his contract is up at the end of the year, and also is not as good as Calderon.

I think it's interesting that there's one Raptor fan who said "no way", and another one that said "Philly gets screwed".

At least it shows that the trade is somewhat debatable and thus somewhat reasonable.

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I think it's a pretty decent deal, considering that Calderon's one of the league's elite young point guards and would be signed long-term.

Miller on the other hand is also a very good point guard, but his contract is up at the end of the year, and also is not as good as Calderon.

I think it's interesting that there's one Raptor fan who said "no way", and another one that said "Philly gets screwed".

At least it shows that the trade is somewhat debatable and thus somewhat reasonable.

we still aren't sure why the other guy said "no way". We might be agreeing that it is a bad deal for the 76ers.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 08:18 PM
we still aren't sure why the other guy said "no way". We might be agreeing that it is a bad deal for the 76ers.

The guy that said take out Andre Miller and replace him with Iguodala and maybe he'd consider it.

That's basically saying no way lol.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Scanning through the 76ers forum, one of them came up with an interesting trade proposal:

Andre Miller + Louis Williams + Jazz '09 1st round pick for Jose Calderon

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
lets hope Calderon stays for less than 10m per season :D

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Jazz are going to be a palyoff team and there first round pick will be a top 20+ ..so i dont see how there first round pick would help us much...but i have to admit Williams is a good young player

TO Fan
06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Iggy is a restricted free agent as well... I think they would put more resources on bringing him back than tryting to pursue calderon.

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
"Would" or "Wouldn't"

sorry i ment wouldnt

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Sigh someone wanna give me a hand?

Trying to explain to Sixer fans that Calderon > Miller.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5679884&posted=1#post5679884

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
sorry i ment wouldnt

why wouldn't they? They get a great PG who is an expiring contract and they get a 20 year old kid who could be the answer at SF.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 09:16 PM
why wouldn't they? They get a great PG who is an expiring contract and they get a 20 year old kid who could be the answer at SF.

Told you it was an interesting deal :D

That makes 2 against the deal and 1 for it.

I'll remain neutral on this.

Acekicker123
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Support Jose!!!

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239512

The Wise 1
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Switch Iggy with Miller and I'd still have to debate it.

Are you serious? When I first saw the trade I thought it was pretty fair. Miller is one of the most underrated players in the league and Young is gonna **** all over the league in another 2 years. Only reason I dont do this is because Miller is already 31.

T.O-Fan
06-30-2008, 10:04 PM

andre miller is not a great player bob..be honest..i actually wouldnt even want him to back up calderon so why have him starting..no way bob and i really never heard of that 20 year old kid and we really dont need a 20 year old at this point...we wil be going deep into the playoffs and we need veterens 25+

Bob_at_york
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
andre miller is not a great player bob..be honest..i actually wouldnt even want him to back up calderon so why have him starting..no way bob and i really never heard of that 20 year old kid and we really dont need a 20 year old at this point...we wil be going deep into the playoffs and we need veterens 25+

Andre Miller is one of the best passing PGs in the league and is one of the better defenders at the PG position. He averaged 17ppg on 49% shooting last year. Pleae explain to me how he isn't a great player? Back it up. Meanwhile, you are really hurting your argument when you haven't even heard of Young before. Why wouldn't you learn something about him before saying no to the deal?

ramz.n
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
woot go BOB..Young is a tremendous project who has showed flash of brilliance at times..be amazing to have him because he could be the future sf ..not sre if Philli will trade Young tho..to them i think Young and Lou Williams are untouchable ...apparently they are going hard after Elton Brand..there future would be amazing with him

pg-Lou Williams
sg- Andre Igudala
sf- THaddeus Young
pf- Elton Brand
c- Samuel Dalembert

that is definately a playoff team in the eastern conference in my books

koreancabbage
06-30-2008, 11:17 PM
calderon is respectable but not as good as Miller or most PGs in this league, in terms of offensive abilities. He, howevers , plays well within a system where perimter players are a premium. Calderon had only 1 good year so we can't say much about him in the same sentence as being asgood as Miller.

brebre82
07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
calderon is respectable but not as good as Miller or most PGs in this league, in terms of offensive abilities. He, howevers , plays well within a system where perimter players are a premium. Calderon had only 1 good year so we can't say much about him in the same sentence as being asgood as Miller.

lmao! not as good as most PGs? Wonder if you have watched any Raptor games the past two seasons. Btw JC has had 2 good seasons now. AND Miller is an aging pg who is a non factor from the perimeter. Miller shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as JC. He should be with the Darrell Armstrongs and Jason Terrys. You make Miller sound like an all-star.:D

Fion
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Miller is about the same good as jose, but joses on the way, millers on the way down. Jose is more valuable right now. But the 76ers are barking up the wrong tree, no way jose goes for anything reasonable.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Miller is still very good.. hes closer to end of his prime..as for Calderon i think hes just begining to get there..and last year he had to share some time with Ford when he came back ..Calderon is a double double player next year for sure along with Bosh and hopefully O'neal if they are both healthy...as for Bargnani..coming off the bench i hope this relieves pressure and he can just take the next step because he will be the #1 option off the bench..u say why not Kapono...Andrea is going to draw double teams when hes driving to the basket on bigs..or when the opposition runs at him leaving Kapono and whoever else open

Alphabits
07-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Sixers can offer whatever they want but Jose still has to sign the offer sheet to make it official. I bet you even with BC saying he's gonna match any offer sent to Jose teams are still offering up offer sheets for Jose to sign.

Silver.
07-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Good thing Brand Opted out,I imagine their gunna spend most of their cap space on him now.

CB4real
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Raps deal Calderon, if we could have a chance for an all-star quality point guard being paid less than 10 mill a year..... HMMMM THAT"S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND :). Unless Baron Davis hits his head on a rock, in which case i say go for it.

ramz.n
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
or maybe he'll get drunk and just play for free.

Ragun
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
He Is Back To Us ******!