PDA

View Full Version : Orlando To Make a Move For Maggette??

ManRam
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
OrlandoSentinel.com
NBA free agency
Orlando Magic may make move for Maggette

Tim Povtak

Sentinel Staff Writer

June 30, 2008

Los Angeles Clippers guard Corey Maggette told friends over the weekend that he was encouraging the Orlando Magic to make a competitive offer in free agency, allowing him to return to the team where he started his NBA career nine years ago.

Maggette, 28, averaged 22.1 points last season for the Clippers, where he has spent the last eight seasons as a shooting guard/small forward.

Maggette has until today to opt out of the final year of his contract for $7 million and become an unrestricted free agent Tuesday. Under salary-cap rules, the Magic have only the middle-class exception of $5.8 million to offer him in the first year of a deal. The Magic could build a five-year deal worth close to $40 million.

"I think he'd come back in a heartbeat," said a Maggette friend who is close to both the player and the Magic organization. "It's something he'd love to see happen."

Maggette played here as a rookie (1999-00). His parents live in Central Florida. He has often spoken about the possibility of returning to the Magic.

Teams can begin negotiating with free agents Tuesday and signing them July 9. If Maggette opts out of his contract, the Clippers are expected to offer him a new four-year deal worth close to $40 million.

Magic General Manager Otis Smith declined to discuss any particular free agent.

If the Magic landed Maggette, it would make them serious contenders in the East, teaming him with center Dwight Howard, forwards Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu, and guard Jameer Nelson.

Copyright 2008, Orlando Sentinel

I'd rather have Maggette at 5 years $40M than Vince.

I'm praying this gets done.

Jameer
Maggette/Bogans/Lee/Redick
Hedo
Shard/Battie/Cook
Dwight/Gortat

Leaves us with one open spot on the roster (back up PG).

Pretty nice roster there.

Chris36Chambers
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
LoL....you beat me to the punch on this article

I'm praying that this get done....The magics need a great perimeter defender who can slash & score and that is exactly what Corey is.

Now If we can true power forward that can compliment Dwight we can seriously be consider Championship contenders

Reezy
06-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I have to admit, I would love for Corey to come back. :D

*Superman*
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Hope this gets done.

*Superman*
06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Would trading Turk for Maggette be worth it since Turk is going to become a free agent soon?

ManRam
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Would trading Turk for Maggette be worth it since Turk is going to become a free agent soon?

Not if we can just sign Maggette. He can opt out, and everything is pointing towards him opting out. It sounds like he loves Orlando, and wants to be there, so he might be willing to take a bit less money to play here. If that is true, than we have a chance at getting him straight up as a FA, not as a sign-and-trade.

If we have to move him, trading Hedo isn't a horrible idea. This comes into play if Corey wants more money than the MLE, and a contract around 5 years @40 million, which is less than he can get. Moving Hedo for Corey allows Shard to play the three, which is a big plus. Hedo can opt out after this year too, so it isn't a horrible move.

Either way we get him, I want him.

rapjuicer06
06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
that back up point guard could be had in jwill too. i'd still like us to trade away hedo and get someone back for him instead of him opting out for more money. haslem, wilcox or collison from seatle...any of them would be a good compliment to howard

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm not so sure about this. Maggette would be a great fit in Orlando, no doubt, but there are a few downsides to the deal as well. If they give Maggette this kind of money, the Magic would obviously have no more money to spend and still have a need at PF, but that could possibly be filled cheaply. After this deal though they would have no chance of resigning Dooling, and would have a glaring need for backup PGs. Dooling's value to the Magic the past couple of years was enormous, and there were many games that he was their best guard on the court. If they got Maggette, I think they'd have to look to make a trade to at least get a reliable backup to Nelson.

I'd personally rather see the Magic try to resign Dooling and Evans with the MLE. Though I am not sure they could get them both for that, and I don't think Evans would play for just the Biannual exception. Then I'd like to see them try to trade Bogans and possibly Battie if they could get back a good rebounding PF. If they could only resign Dooling, I'd like to see them make this very unrealistic trade:

To Memphis:
Tony Battie
J.J. Redick

To Orlando:
Darko Milicic

I know this wouldn't ever happen, but I was really mad that Orlando didn't work harder to try and keep Darko. He didn't sign that bad of a contract, and I just think Otis Smith should have done more to try and keep him around. I know he had a pretty bad to average year last year, but he was a perfect fit next to Dwight Howard. Excellent shot blocker, a solid complementary rebounder to Dwight, and a decent option to occassionally post up, ala against Detroit in his last games for Orlando. I'd rather the Magic try to trade Bogans, but I don't see any reason why Memphis would make that trade. Maybe they wouldn't have any interest in Redick either, but suggesting Bogans and Battie for Milicic is a little too crazy.

Basically I'd like the roster to look like this, although I know it will never happen:

Nelson/Dooling
either Evans/Bogans/Lee or Evans/Redick/Lee or Bogans/Lee plus another FA if Evans can't be resigned
Turkoglu
Lewis/Milicic
Howard/Gortat

Really I just think that Dooling is too important for the Magic to allow to get away. Rebounding and defensive help for Dwight should be another big priority, and if they could get another SG in the same trade, I think they should be open to trading Turkoglu. Maggette would certainly be a good fit for the Magic, but considering his cost, I think they'd almost have to trade Turkoglu to fill the other holes they have, particularly at backup PG and PF.

atomik102
06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
bro im a hardcore fsu fan but just having that name and u saying we should trade for darko again makes me wish people like you were gator fans, that is the most stupidest thing i have heard on here, we need a backup pg not a pf

atomik102
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
i think if magette wants to be here so bad he should take less money so we can sign dooling, then we will be the best team in the east, honestly why trade hedo, did you guys not see wtf he did for us last season or are you jumping on the bandwagon like 2/3's of the magic fans ? trading hedo would hurt us more then help us, get that thru your head

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 06:31 PM
bro im a hardcore fsu fan but just having that name and u saying we should trade for darko again makes me wish people like you were gator fans, that is the most stupidest thing i have heard on here, we need a backup pg not a pf

The most stupidest huh? Well I realize Darko sucked it up in Memphis last year, but I don't see how anyone can deny that he played very well alongside Dwight Howard. How does Orlando not need a PF? All of last year I knew exactly what would be the downfall of the Magic whenever they got eliminated: no rebounder/ frontcourt defender to help Howard. I like Tony Battie, but I think it was very clear when Darko was around that he was more effective than Battie on almost all nights. I know this won't happen, but in my opinion after adding Lewis last offseason, keeping Darko was all the Magic would have needed to be serious contenders.

I do agree that backup PG is a huge need, which is why I don't think the Magic should make the mistake of letting Dooling go. I think he is valuable enough that the Magic should offer their entire MLE for him if thats what it takes. The only other alternative I can see that would improve the Magic if they lost Dooling and didn't make a trade, would be splitting the MLE exception between Maurice Evans and Chris Duhon.

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
i think if magette wants to be here so bad he should take less money so we can sign dooling, then we will be the best team in the east, honestly why trade hedo, did you guys not see wtf he did for us last season or are you jumping on the bandwagon like 2/3's of the magic fans ? trading hedo would hurt us more then help us, get that thru your head

Do you realize the Magic are already over the cap? They would be offering Maggette a deal starting at the MLE. How are they going to get the money to sign Dooling by asking Maggette to take less money? Are you suggesting the Magic offer Maggette something like $3 million in his first year? That would probably happen. You should try and get that "thru" your head, maybe even directly "thru" it by using a hammer and nails. And the only reason anyone would suggest trading Turkoglu is because Rashard Lewis is untradeable and basically is the same player as Hedo. In order to fill the other needs the Magic have, like PF, backup PG, and even SG, he is the only asset they can trade.

*Superman*
06-30-2008, 06:43 PM

No one wants to trade Hedo, but if he won't sign wiht the MLE, which i doubt he will, Hedo is the only real player we can trade. If you haven't seen Maggette's numbers, their almost identical to Rashard's when he became a free agent and look how much he got paid. To get some we got to trade some away and a reasonable amount to. Kawame and Pau trades don't happen often. Anyways if he did take the MLE, we wouldn't be able to sign Dooling anymore.

ManRam
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Shooting guard is a far more pressing need than a PF. Think about it, we have no starting SG, but we have a starting PF. If we get Darko back (less than 0% chance), he's only going to play at most 15 minutes a game. If we get Maggette, he's playing well over 30 a game (even with Bogans, Redick and Lee). SG is a bigger need than PF, and Maggette is far better than Darko. I don't think Darko being the lone change gets us over the hump, not at all.

Yes, we could use another big, but we get Battie back, and either way, we only need a big for 10-15 minutes a game in all likelihood, unless we move Hedo, and commit Rashard to playing the 3. Then we need a starting calibur PF. But now, we don't.

Maggette wont take less than the MLE, and that's all we can offer to him. If we offer up the MLE to Maggette, we will have one more spot to fill (which is why buying a second rounder was a good idea). I'm not sure exactly what the financial circumstances are, like what the cap will be next year, exactly what our current payroll is or whatever, but I've heard that we can supposedly afford to sign a player for 2-3 million, and then still be able to use the MLE in it's entirety for another player. If so, signing Dooling and Maggette is possible. But again, I'm not certain what the financial situation is.

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Rashard Lewis is not a PF. During the regular season he can pass for one, but against Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, and pretty much any team from the West, he would be a liability both defensively and rebounding. Against those teams, they'll have to use a big lineup for more than just 15 minutes a night. I know Darko (who played closer to 25 minutes a night in Orlando) would never be back in Orlando, but if he was still there, along with their starting five from last year (Nelson, Evans, Hedo, Lewis, and Howard) and a bench of Dooling, Battie, Gortat, Redick, and Lee I think they could have matched up against anyone.

It can't happen now, and is pointless to talk about, but I even think if the current team resigns Dooling and Evans, Battie might be enough.

I don't see Dooling signing for only 2-3 million, although it would be great.

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Obviously Maggette is a better player than Darko, but I think what the Magic could get from some combination of Dooling, Evans, Bogans, Redick, and Lee would be enough from the SG position. They need help rebounding and with interior defense, which is why I think a solid PF would have a bigger impact.

DSM
06-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Sure, Hedo had a career year last year and he was often the team's go to guy down the stretch. However, it became apparent in the Pistons' series that Hedo simply isn't athletic/explosive enough to be #1 perimeter option/closer for an elite team. As currently constructed, the magic do not have a traditional perimeter scorer...they have hedo and lewis, who are essentially the same guy. Both of them are oversized small forwards who can handle the ball well for their size and can shoot the three. Neither is a great perimeter defender. None of the 2-guards on last years' team showed that they could be a dependable scorer against playoff defense. Further, the fact that the team has two oversized 3's starting in the frontcourt leaves howard completely responsible for all of the magic's low post scoring and defense. Long story short, this team cannot contend for a title without a legitimate 2-guard or a PF...especially when PG is not especially strong by playoff-team standards.

For all of these reasons, the magic's best move would be to do a sign/trade with hedo for magette. Magette would give them a athletic perimeter scorer and defender they desperately need. While hedo is certainly talented, lewis is the better long-term solution for the oversized SF (not that the magic have a choice with his contract). At that point, the magic would only need a haslem-type PF who can play interior defense and score effort/garbage baskets in order to be an elite team. Long story short...hedo's a nice player and he would be great in a ginobili-type six man role, but the magic cannot win with him being their go-to permeter scorer. To get magette, the decision to part with hedo should be easy.

LeonFSU
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Sure, Hedo had a career year last year and he was often the team's go to guy down the stretch. However, it became apparent in the Pistons' series that Hedo simply isn't athletic/explosive enough to be #1 perimeter option/closer for an elite team. As currently constructed, the magic do not have a traditional perimeter scorer...they have hedo and lewis, who are essentially the same guy. Both of them are oversized small forwards who can handle the ball well for their size and can shoot the three. Neither is a great perimeter defender. None of the 2-guards on last years' team showed that they could be a dependable scorer against playoff defense. Further, the fact that the team has two oversized 3's starting in the frontcourt leaves howard completely responsible for all of the magic's low post scoring and defense. Long story short, this team cannot contend for a title without a legitimate 2-guard or a PF...especially when PG is not especially strong by playoff-team standards.

For all of these reasons, the magic's best move would be to do a sign/trade with hedo for magette. Magette would give them a athletic perimeter scorer and defender they desperately need. While hedo is certainly talented, lewis is the better long-term solution for the oversized SF (not that the magic have a choice with his contract). At that point, the magic would only need a haslem-type PF who can play interior defense and score effort/garbage baskets in order to be an elite team. Long story short...hedo's a nice player and he would be great in a ginobili-type six man role, but the magic cannot win with him being their go-to permeter scorer. To get magette, the decision to part with hedo should be easy.

Great post. My only problem with the Magic getting Maggette for Hedo, is they wouldn't have anything else they could trade to get a PF. They must resign Dooling, but if they got Maggette they could probably settle for Duhon and be ok. But they would then have nothing at PF. Its hard to say whether Battie could play major minutes, but even if he was able, they'd only have Gortat to play PF or C. There isn't a whole lot they could get in the FA market other than Kurt Thomas, and i'm not sure they could get him and a PG like Dooling or Duhon.

ManRam
06-30-2008, 10:41 PM

I agree for the most part. I've never been a huge Hedo fan, even after an amazing year. However, calling Hedo and Shard the same person is crazy. Hedo is a point-forward, Shard is far from it. He is more of a shooter/scorer, Hedo is more of a play maker. Hedo can handle the ball vastly better, and can act as a play maker. Our offense ran through him for most of the year.

With that said, I wouldn't mind moving Hedo for Maggette at all. It allows us to play big again, by moving Shard back to the three. Shard dominates as a SF. He is an elite SF, not an elite PF. I do agree that we can't win with him as the go-to player...but why trade him if we don't have to. Who says we need to pull off a sign-and-trade. If Maggette really wants to play in Orlando, the MLE could do it.

I like the big Magic, Jameer/Maggette/Shard/Battie/Dwight better than the small Magic, Jameer/Bogans(and others)/Hedo/Shard/Dwight....but I like Jameer/Maggette/Hedo/Shard/Dwight even more. If Battie is healthy, we could start with Hedo on the bench. He would be a great 6th man.

We'll see what the market for Maggette is. There are only a tiny amount of teams that can offer more than the MLE. That helps us out a lot.

atomik102
07-01-2008, 01:43 AM
ok lets sign maggette, have no back up pg, and lose the most clutch guy on the magic, and with darko, you wanna get him back so he can miss free throws and 2 foot lay ups,instead of dunking the ball, darko didnt do jack against detroit either, and i wanna see somebody try to be a slasher against prince, i agree with hedo being the 6th man which is a great role, and how are we small with 3 guys who are 6'10 in the starting line up, i dont understand how you would want 4 sg when we need a back up pg which dooling can play the role of, hey heres an idea why dont we trade howard while we are asking to make stupid moves, guys do you not realize how much better we wouldve been with battie not hurt, he is a decent pf, smart on court skills, can help rebound and move shard back to 3 turgs to the bench bogans or lee starting, sign dooling is we cant sign dooling then get a back up pg plain and simple

rapjuicer06
07-01-2008, 02:31 AM
my guess is if we do sign maggette, then i do believe we'll trade one of our 4 SG for a back up point guard. i think we could probably get a sign and trade from miami for jwill, or maybe just sign him since hes said to want to play for orlando and would take a pay cut, it'd have to be a huge pay cut but yea. i think taking Lee was a sign that we don't really want to go after maggette, but i hope i'm wrong. we do need a back up point guard, but he doesn't have to be anything amazing. we can trade J.J. for a point guard. and if we really want to try something at PF we can trade away Hedo. i too am not high on the guy. yea he was good last year, but when in the playoffs he took the dumbest shots, made stupid *** turnovers that really just pissed me off. he (imo) hurt us more than helped us against detroit. if battie can come back healthy, then that'll be a huge improvement for our bigs. and just because a guy is 6'10, that doesn't exactly have to qualify him as a big man, if he can't bump in the post, then hes not a big man. i really hope we do get maggette and if we do maybe we can go for a point guard like jamaal tinsley in a trade or go for wilcox in a trade for a PF, seattle at the moment has 4 so maybe either him or collison. i could see them giving up one of them for a shooters like j.j. and cook. and bring battie off the bench...
nelson/tinsley
maggette/bogans/lee
shard/hedo
battie/shard
howard/gortat
or
nelson/maybe lee?? or bogans?? no idea
maggette/bogans/lee
shard/hedo
wilcox or collison/battie
howard/gortat

DSM
07-01-2008, 12:35 PM
hey, if the magic can get maggette outright or in a sign/trade for spare parts, great. unfortunately, with a soft free agent crop this year...i don't think that 's gonna happen b/c someone will make a better offer. maggette didn't opt out so he could get the MLE, he's going to want to get paid and we would need to clear some cap room to make it happen. as for the post that called hedo a pt guard...sure, he can handle the ball, but the only reason he did it so much is b/c we're weak at pg...plus running pick and roll with howard doesn't make you a pg...pf is a problem no matter what b/c there are no great ones out there in free agency this year...that said, there are alot of big bodies you can sign/trade for who can bang around inside and don't cost too much...so, the magic would be best served by sign/trading hedo/maggette so they can clear some cap space and get more athletic on the perimeter...if the only remaining needs are role-playing pf and back-up pt guard, i think we can all live with it

Chris36Chambers
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
The mid level exception is roughly 6 million bucks is the Clippers does a sign and trade w/ Corey and in return take Hedo we will still have that mid level exception.

We can use half of that on Chris Duhon a defensive minded pass 1st pg and the other half we can use on a Kurt Thomas. I like Kurt because an intimidates his opponent into submission, and he is a really good rebounder & defender on the low block. I would rather have either Wilcox, Varejoe or Nick Collins but that means we would have to trade Battie and who would want to trade a really good PF for an average and older one who just missed an entire season

Unless we can swing a sign N trade w/ Dooling and throw JJ in the deal to even the contract

pg Nelson/Duhon
sg Corey/Courtney
sf Lewis/Bogans
pf K. Thomas/Cook
c Dwight/Battie

Wow now that I look at the line-up...the addition of Corey, Thomas & Duhon makes us one of the best defensive teams in the League

ManRam
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Maggette Move Unlikely As Strapped Magic Bargain Hunt
posted by Bschmitz on Jun 30, 2008 10:12:55 AM

Well, it's nice that Clippers shooting guard Corey Maggette apparently wants to return to Orlando, where he started his career.

He could become an unresticted free agent today.

The reality is that the Magic can't afford him; their free-agent game-plan is to put some relatively inexpensive pieces around Dwight Howard.

The Magic have all their money tied up in five players: Howard, Rashard Lewis, Jameer Nelson, Hedo Turkoglu and Tony Battie. They are rummaging through the bargain bin now to find some serviceable pieces and to fill out the roster.

GM Otis Smith used the word "fiscal responsibility" the other day when talking about free agents.

Concentrate more on these sort of names for the Magic in free agency: PG/SG Keyon Dooling, PG Chris Duhon, guard/forward Mikael Pietrus, point guard Jason Williams, shooting guard Jarvis Hayes and PG/SG Juan Dixon.

Dooling, of course, would love to return to Orlando, but Smith wants it at the right price. And in this extremely lean free-agent class, Dooling might get a better offer than the Magic can meet.

That's why there's some urgency starting Tuesday, when the free-agent season officially opens, that the Magic find another point guard.

Smith said the Magic are looking to improve "our backcourt" --- and that means finding another shooting guard and getting more support for Nelson.

Neither Smith nor Coach Stan Van Gundy really believe they need another big, although that surprises me, even with power forward Tony Battie returning from injury. They could add one with the $1.8 million veteran's exception -- -similiar to what they gave Adonal Foyle last season.

As far as Maggette, all the Magic can donate to him (unless they execute a sign-and-trade) is the mid-level salary-cap exception. And Smith doesn't want to spend that on one player. They want to split the $6 million per year exception.

Unless Maggette is overcome with an act of charity --- or wants to join Howard and win (a novel concept) --- why would he sign to play for less? He made $7 million last season with the Clips.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/06/maggette-move-u.html

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Well either we trade Hedo for Maggette or we don't get him at all. In this blog it said that Otis wants to split the 6mil, not spend it all on one player. So it has to be a S&T if we have a chance at getting Maggette. I hope Otis does the right thing and doesn't screw this up.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Got to it before me.lol

ManRam
07-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Got to it before me.lol

LOL.

I have another one.

The Magic are expected to offer Corey Maggette the full $5.8 million mid-level exception, according to a report in The Orlando Sentinel.

Maggette, who began his career with the Magic, has been telling friends that he would like to return to the franchise.

He is expected to receive a more lucrative offer from another team, and possibly go elsewhere as part of a sign-and-trade deal involving the Clippers.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,2366171.story

So that answers the question. The Magic think they can afford Maggette, and still be able to fill out their roster. I am praying he takes the offer.

Reezy
07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I think at this point I'd rather keep Turkoglu. I really like the team we have right now. We just need another PG, really.

Edit: Wow, now we are offering him a contract? Wow. I hope he takes it.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 04:55 PM
LOL.

I have another one.

So that answers the question. The Magic think they can afford Maggette, and still be able to fill out their roster. I am praying he takes the offer.

If he takes it ill go crazy! That way its a win-win cause we still get to keep Hedo.

ManRam
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I think at this point I'd rather keep Turkoglu. I really like the team we have right now. We just need another PG, really.

Edit: Wow, now we are offering him a contract? Wow. I hope he takes it.

I've decided that I'd rather keep Turkoglu too. If Maggette really does want to come to Orlando, the only way I want him is if he takes the MLE. I don't want to move Hedo for him, even if it allows us to move Shard back to his natural position. Hedo was too important last year, the MVP of the team IMO. Moving him just causes the team to take a step back.

I'll look for the quote...but Otis said that he has zero intentions on moving any of the core players like Hedo, Shard, Dwight and Jameer. So I trust that he wont do a sign-and-trade if Maggette turns it down.

I'm praying he takes it. Absolutely praying.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I've decided that I'd rather keep Turkoglu too. If Maggette really does want to come to Orlando, the only way I want him is if he takes the MLE. I don't want to move Hedo for him, even if it allows us to move Shard back to his natural position. Hedo was too important last year, the MVP of the team IMO. Moving him just causes the team to take a step back.

I'll look for the quote...but Otis said that he has zero intentions on moving any of the core players like Hedo, Shard, Dwight and Jameer. So I trust that he wont do a sign-and-trade if Maggette turns it down.

I'm praying he takes it. Absolutely praying.

Found that quote that you were talking about(about trading hedo). Its either MLE or nothing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

DSM
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, I guess the magic will have to hope that magette is willing to take less to win. If you look back at the last 5 or 6 years, all the eventual champs had significant players taking less money to be a part of a winner.

That said, the magic will need this kind of charity because they have no chance to win a title as they are currently costructed. If otis thinks that he can make this team a legit contender by adding a couple role players, he 's dreaming. When compared to teams like the celtics and pistons in the east, the magic are offensively predictable and defensively soft. Whether its magette or someone else over the next year or two, the magic need a premier athelete on the perimeter who can guard multiple positions and score in a variety of ways. If they're not careful, teams like chicago, toronto and atlanta are going to pass them by. I just hope that management will recognize this and make some aggressive moves over the next few years to improve this team from being good to elite.

*Superman*
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Now the Spurs are the front-runners, damn.

Chris36Chambers
07-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Now the Spurs are the front-runners, damn.

They are only offering him the MLE so I wouldn't be too worry. He said he will only take a pay cut for Orlando or Boston

In other news Knicks offered Duhon 7 million over the next 2 years...he is schedule to visit us & is really interested in playing for the Magics because he consider us Championship contenders. If we match the Knicks offer it will leave us with 2.3-2.5 million left, which we can use on a PF

Reezy
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
If we manage to get Maggette and Duhon, I'd be pretty damn happy.

*Superman*
07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
The problem is that if we get Maggette, we pretty much can't sign anyone else. So what bench will we have? And they said that Duhon wants the top dolllar. I say we look at petrius and some one else. Getting Maggette will make more problems. They only other thing i see is doing a S&T but smith wouldn't include Turk making it unattractive.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/07/the-problem-wit.html

Chris36Chambers
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
There is GOOD or BAD News depending on how you feel on the SNT w/ Corey And Turk

It appears that if the Clips Do sign Davis & resign Brand they will not have enough cap 2 do a sign & trade w/ Corey

Which means leaves Corey 1 option which is to take the MLE...Front runners are Magics & Spurs with The Celtics & Heat in the rear view

Now that means we can get Corey @ a really great price, but we wont be able to add any depth. leaving us holes in the PF & back up Pg positions

Me personally would like us to Sign Corey & do a sign & trade with Duhon & Dooling

*Superman*
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
It seems like he is going to the Spurs after all, but if we do get him, i suggest we make some trades happen and S&T would work too.

Reezy
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
It seems like he is going to the Spurs after all, but if we do get him, i suggest we make some trades happen and S&T would work too.

Source?

*Superman*
07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Source?

MagicMan found it

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329

Reezy
07-03-2008, 01:36 AM
MagicMan found it

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329

Very weak. I want Maggette in Orlando.

ragee
07-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I like Maggette to play for the Magic... However, can we get Brand instead? What we really need is a real pf... Put Lewis back at sf and trade Hedo for a decent sg or maybe for Maggette? Can they pull it off?

ManRam
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I like Maggette to play for the Magic... However, can we get Brand instead? What we really need is a real pf... Put Lewis back at sf and trade Hedo for a decent sg or maybe for Maggette? Can they pull it off?

Brand isn't coming. It's as simple as that.

We don't have the money, nor do we have the trading pieces.

*Superman*
07-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah that pretty much impossible.

ragee
07-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Brand isn't coming. It's as simple as that.

We don't have the money, nor do we have the trading pieces.

Oh... Ok... Wait, if we don't have the money, how can we get Maggette in the first place? Don't they have similar value? Mid level?

ManRam
07-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh... Ok... Wait, if we don't have the money, how can we get Maggette in the first place? Don't they have similar value? Mid level?

Brand is not a mid level player. He's closer to a max player. He's a mega stud. The Warriors offered Brand a 5 year, 90 million dollar deal. The Clippers offered 5 years, 70 million dollars. The MLE gets you about 30 million over 5 years (6 million per). No one has offered Maggette more than than the MLE...which is why we technically have a shot to get him...because the most we can offer is the MLE.

ragee
07-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Brand is not a mid level player. He's closer to a max player. He's a mega stud. The Warriors offered Brand a 5 year, 90 million dollar deal. The Clippers offered 5 years, 70 million dollars. The MLE gets you about 30 million over 5 years (6 million per). No one has offered Maggette more than than the MLE...which is why we technically have a shot to get him...because the most we can offer is the MLE.

Oh... OK... Yeah, just read the article about brand... Man, the clippers will be strong this season...

ManRam
07-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, we might be back in the Maggette race again.

orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic0508jul05,0,3662995.story
OrlandoSentinel.com
Orlando Magic
Magic shift focus as Chris Duhon heads to Knicks

Brian Schmitz

Sentinel Staff Writer

July 5, 2008

With Chris Duhon now heading to the New York Knicks, the Orlando Magic will turn their focus to two free agents: shooting guard Corey Maggette and point guard Keyon Dooling.

Duhon has chosen the Knicks over the Magic, opting to take a shorter deal with a better shot at becoming a starter in New York.

Kevin Bradbury, Duhon's agent, told the Sentinel on Friday that Duhon will sign a two-year deal with the Knicks when free agents can begin signing contracts on Wednesday.

Bradbury said the Magic did not present an offer sheet, but the "parameters" of the Magic's offer "was more than fair." Duhon is believed to have agreed to a contract around $6.5 million with New York -- or roughly $3.25 million a year.

The Magic had deemed point-guard depth their biggest need and wanted the defensive-minded Duhon to back up starter Jameer Nelson.

The club still has their entire mid-level exception available, worth an average of about $6 million per year.

And apparently that is what is available around the NBA to Maggette, a top-flight scorer who could upgrade Orlando's shooting-guard spot.

Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy didn't rule out the team adding a player such as Maggette, and then filling out the roster with minimum-salary players.

As of late Friday, Maggette had yet to agree to sign with any team after opting out of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, although the San Antonio Spurs were thought to be the frontrunner.

Maggette has expressed through friends that he would love to return to Orlando, where he began his career. The Magic acquired him during the 1999 draft but traded him after one season to the Clippers. He averaged 16.1 points in eight seasons in L.A.

The Magic were looking for a true point guard as they courted Duhon, and likely will have to try to re-sign Dooling, a combo guard.

Dooling said he "wasn't surprised" the Magic tried to sign Duhon, but added Duhon's leap to the Knicks could open talks with Orlando, though the Magic have yet to make him a formal offer.

Bradbury said Duhon called Magic General Manager Otis Smith to tell him he was signing with New York.

"For Chris, it came down to the fact he had opportunity to start in New York, and to turn this thing around. It was a short-term deal and he wanted to take that chance to take his game to the next level as a starter," Bradbury said by phone. "It's always tough when it's down to two teams. Chris felt he couldn't lose either way. Chris had a terrific visit in Orlando."

Copyright 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Reezy
07-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Come on Magic, sign Maggette already!

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Maggette a long shot for the Magic.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-orlando-magic-corey-maggette-070708,0,3209013.story