PDA

View Full Version : Rockets move closer to resigning Landry

Manos
06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
link from Chron.com (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5862829.html)

Rockets move step closer to retaining Carl Landry

By FRAN BLINEBURY
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets extended a qualifying offer to restricted free agent forward Carl Landry on Sunday.

The 6-9 rookie out of Purdue averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in playing 711 minutes in his first pro season.

According to the league’s collective bargaining agreement, the qualifying offer establishes the Rockets’ right of first refusal. Restricted free agents may sign an offer with any team, but the Rockets have the ability to match any offer to Landry.

The one-year contract Landry signed last October called for a team option of $711,000 for next season. The Rockets will have only the mid-level exception (expected to be roughly $6 million) to offer to free agents while staying under the luxury tax.

Landry broke into the Rockets rotation at mid-season and played a key role in extending the club-record 22-game winning streak after Yao Ming was lost for the season with a broken bone in his foot.

But Landry suffered a bruised and swollen right knee in a game against Indiana on March 5, missed seven games and was not able to return to his previous form, with the exception of one game, in the playoffs.

The Rockets selected 6-7, 265-pound forward Joey Dorsey out of Memphis with the 33rd overall pick in Thursday’s NBA draft. Dorsey, who is expected to compete for a spot in the lineup next season, could be viewed as an insurance policy further injury or against a big outside contract offer to Landry.

Teams can begin contact with free agents on Tuesday, but no contracts can be signed until July 9.

connorg3
06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
This adds some intrigue to the situation. I think D.M. is trying to get everyone locked down before the trading period really kicks off in full force for sign and trade scenarios. I hope we keep Scola, Landry, Dorsey. Hayes is our expendable PF who doesn't bring as much as the others but hustle (which I love btw), but you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. There are a few players that are looking hard at bolting.

Russjr2
06-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Sign and trade Landry to Milwaukee for C Villanueva. He can play multiple positions, can score better than Landry (in the paint and out to the 3 point line), and is a good passer. Has range and is 6'11 and a good athlete. Would be very nice coming off the bench for Yao or Scola (or playing with either of them. He only makes around 3.5 mil with one year left on his contract. He is that four that can create space in the lane. Dorsey could be the backup PF/C. Just a thought...

Rockets&Browns
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Sign and trade Landry to Milwaukee for C Villanueva. He can play multiple positions, can score better than Landry (in the paint and out to the 3 point line), and is a good passer. Has range and is 6'11 and a good athlete. Would be very nice coming off the bench for Yao or Scola (or playing with either of them. He only makes around 3.5 mil with one year left on his contract. He is that four that can create space in the lane. Dorsey could be the backup PF/C. Just a thought...

Hey Russ very good idea. I hate on the black powder (I am black BTW) a little bit, because he's extra soft. He still manages to get his boards though. Has good size and can knock down a 3. But I doubt they will trade him especially with RJ coming to the Bucks. They are finally building around Redd.

Driven
06-30-2008, 02:32 PM
It's obviously a good thing if we sign him. I still don't understand the point of getting Dorsey over a guy like CDR though. I know Scola can fill in for Yao at Center, and then we have options with Landry and Dorsey, but we had Harris and Hayes who can do a serviceable job,

Russjr2
06-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey Russ very good idea. I hate on the black powder (I am black BTW) a little bit, because he's extra soft. He still manages to get his boards though. Has good size and can knock down a 3. But I doubt they will trade him especially with RJ coming to the Bucks. They are finally building around Redd.

Yeah I know what you mean, but we don't need a guy to come off the bench and give us everything (that would be ideal but im being realistic), like morey said, we would sacrifice a little defense to get some scoring. And Charlie V can score the ball if he can't do anything else. Imagine him in the lineup with Yao and T-Mac.. he WOULD hit all the open shots our other role players can't hit today. He could even play some SF and be in with Scola.

He hasn't been happy in Milwaukee and with new coach Scott Skiles coming in they are already saying they want to move him a.s.a.p to change the culture with the new coach coming in. Landry is a worker, skiles kind of guy. They need a good backup PF. Yi is gone, RJ is more of a SF. I see it as a win win trade.

Russjr2
06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
It's obviously a good thing if we sign him. I still don't understand the point of getting Dorsey over a guy like CDR though. I know Scola can fill in for Yao at Center, and then we have options with Landry and Dorsey, but we had Harris and Hayes who can do a serviceable job,

What if he moves Landry and/or Hayes and/or Head for a experienced scoring SG/SF? Dorsey is physical and athletic. Hayes is physical but not athletic and can't score in the paint. Landry is not physical, but he is a better scorer out to 12 feet.

CDR (I was a fan to) fell to 40 in the draft, GMs know something is wrong about his game. I wont argue with the pros who study tape of the players. So with that, i'm trusting my GM and his decision and his plan. We will see how the summer goes and what moves he makes to make us better and get more scoring off the bench.

HouRealCoach
06-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I cant wait to see Landry next year he's working on his shooting, passing n creating his own

Jay22Redd
06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Its hard to tell whats going on in Morey's head.

Russjr2
06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I cant wait to see Landry next year he's working on his shooting, passing n creating his own

Charlie V can already do all of that and he is 6'11.

Jpripper88
06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
What if he moves Landry and/or Hayes and/or Head for a experienced scoring SG/SF? Dorsey is physical and athletic. Hayes is physical but not athletic and can't score in the paint. Landry is not physical, but he is a better scorer out to 12 feet.

CDR (I was a fan to) fell to 40 in the draft, GMs know something is wrong about his game. I wont argue with the pros who study tape of the players. So with that, i'm trusting my GM and his decision and his plan. We will see how the summer goes and what moves he makes to make us better and get more scoring off the bench.

The big reason CDR fell so far was because he refused to workout for teams after 27.

Rox07
06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
The big reason CDR fell so far was because he refused to workout for teams after 27.

He should've been picked before 27 anyways. That doesn't seem like a legit reason why he got drafted so late. I wonder what the real reason was...?

bbinthepark
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Charlie V can already do all of that and he is 6'11.

and why exactly would they want to give him up for a relatively unproven guy with knee problems?

i really like Landry, I think he's worth investing most of the MLE in, but he's not as valuable as Villanueva.

of course it would be nice to have a true big man as insurance to yao, but we don't necessarily have to have that guy. our ability to defend the paint or rebound is not a problem. We have a lot of very capable guys inside. Even Greene is actually a good shot blocker. Why should we be so eager to give up Landry, our best slasher?

We should stick with what we have at least until the trade deadline. we know we'll be in the playoff race either way. Let the guys we have fight for their roles, then if need be, make a move to round off the roster later in the season.

Chronz
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Watch Philly offer him the full MLE

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM
hopefully the deal gets done

Renovator
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Fox news was reporting Morey wants more indepth examinations done before he makes any deal and also Landry was being hesitant.

I can see this going on for a while. He is not worth re-signing if his knee is bungled.

Rockets&Browns
07-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Rockets Trying To Undercut Landry's Value?
Carl Landry | Rockets
With the Rockets seeking additional medical tests before extending a contract offer to restricted free agent Carl Landry, Landry's agent shot back that the request was designed to frighten off other suitors and said the tactic has backfired.

Agent Buddy Baker said Tuesday that Landry has no health issues, and that Dr. James Andrews declared Landry's right knee to be sound.

"Obviously, I view it as a move on (Morey's) part to undercut his value and dissuade the interest he has garnered," Baker said. "The reverse has happened. Teams have taken the position that he will not match offers. That has opened the floodgates. They are operating as if (Landry) was an unrestricted free agent." -- Houston Chronicle

Seen this on ESPN Insider! I don't think Landry is gonna be in a Rockets uniform next year. Might as well work a Sign and Trade to get something in return!

TMAC94
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
^^ something with artest or even smithh ?

Rhyming Rebel
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Carl Landry | Rockets
With the Rockets seeking additional medical tests before extending a contract offer to restricted free agent Carl Landry, Landry's agent shot back that the request was designed to frighten off other suitors and said the tactic has backfired.

Agent Buddy Baker said Tuesday that Landry has no health issues, and that Dr. James Andrews declared Landry's right knee to be sound.

"Obviously, I view it as a move on (Morey's) part to undercut his value and dissuade the interest he has garnered," Baker said. "The reverse has happened. Teams have taken the position that he will not match offers. That has opened the floodgates. They are operating as if (Landry) was an unrestricted free agent." -- Houston Chronicle

Seen this on ESPN Insider! I don't think Landry is gonna be in a Rockets uniform next year. Might as well work a Sign and Trade to get something in return!

Nice try Morey, but I am starting to think Dorsey was drafted for a reason other than replacing Hayes now. My question is, If He thought we were gonna lose Landry to Free Agency why in the hell would he trade Darrell Author?

Renovator
07-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Carl Landry | Rockets

I think his agent is full of crap. If Landry has nothing to hide than he would be more than happy to do those tests. Proving that he is healthy will only increase his value. We will have to wait and see untill someone actually hands Landry an offer.

I for one think there is something shady going on here with Landry's knee.

Morey is only considering whats best for us, which is to sign a healthy player. I will be very shocked if Morey goes back on his word and signs Landry without further tests.

Russjr2
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I agree with Morey... you don't give a guy 3 mil when he has a history with a bad knee. Especially when it flared up again this past season. Go get the knee checked and be done with it and get your money Carl. You are not that darn good. You had a good month of a season that is all, YOU ARE A BACKUP PF son. You got the majority of your points off assists from penetration.

If he starts trippin, let him go. Send him to Milwaukee for Villanueva who is 6'11 with a lot more scoring ability.

I hope this doesn't drag on, we got other trades to make.

pippsux
07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Lets not waste time with Landry. Morey is doing the right thing. Landry was never the same after his injury and once teams started scouting him, he was limited.

Rhyming Rebel
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey I say to hell with Landry we should be chasing a bigger name before the Spurs get a Big 4.
Parker
Manu
Maggette
Duncan

Russjr2
07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Story from hoopsworld today:

More Drama Between Landry and Rockets: Last year, Carl Landry and the Rockets undertook a long contract negotiation that ended just before the start of training camp, as the team and their second-round draft pick quibbled over the amount of guaranteed money in Landry's first year. Now a restricted free agent, the Rockets have proclaimed that they will not offer Landry a contract until he undergoes extensive testing of his right knee, which forced him to miss seven games when it was sore. For his part, Landry's agent, Buddy Barker, is saying that Landry's knee is fine and the Rockets are trying to lower his client's value by scaring other teams with a possible health concern. According to Baker, though, the ploy didn't work, as Landry's 8.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, and .616 shooting percentage have been enough to garner interest from several teams who now feel that the Rockets may not match offers for Landry because of the knee. Just another day ... but who else feels like this will all just lead to Landry donning the red and white again next year?

{º¿º}
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Lets not waste time with Landry. Morey is doing the right thing. Landry was never the same after his injury and once teams started scouting him, he was limited.

Landry's statistical breakdown per month...

January (9 games with Yao):
8ppg, 73%FG, 4.9rpg, 0.1bpg, 14mpg

Feb (13 games, Yao misses last 2 games with his season ending injury):
9.2ppg, 63%FG, 5.5rpg, 0.2bpg, 19.2mpg

March (8 games, only manged 5 games without Yao before missing 7 himself):
11.4ppg, 60%FG, 5.4rpg, 0.0bpg, 20.5mpg

April (9games - post injury)
6ppg, 56%FG, 4.3rpg, 0.2bpg, 16.9mpg

Playoffs (6 games against actual defensive attention)
5.7ppg, 42%FG, 4.7rpg, 0.5bpg, 17.7mpg

...big bucks? Landry managed 2 1/2 months of decent play, most of which was with Yao on the court. The pressure of the defense or whatever without Yao is evident. His scoring and FG% continued to plummet for the rest of the season. He didn't last more than 5 games without Yao before he became injured himself.

Like I been saying all along, Landry is Chuck Hayes with leaping ability, nothing more. Hayes gets the same lack of respect by the defense and free roaming opportunities as Landry did early on. The difference is Hayes closes his eyes and does reverse layups because dude can't get off the floor. Landry dunks those point blank assists from Yao and Tmac for a high FG%. If Landry does somehow manage to turn his 30 days of play into a big contract offer, he needs to give a portion to Yao and Tmac b/c he certainly didn't earn it himself.

t-mac1nukka
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
lakers seemed interest in him...and hopefully that story about vujacic (sp) is true. lets just trade players...much like gsw and lac are doing with brand and davis. only ours is a lot bigger impact. :)