PDA

View Full Version : ATH: Out of bounds

BALLER71
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Let's get off-topic.

Which coach in a new team, will have the most impact?

MiamiHeatMafia
06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Eric Spoelstra, he will have a huge impact in miami. This guy can flat out coach and he will give miami a 45+ win season hands down.He will assemble a great team before the season starts (bench, pg, and c) with Wade, Marion, and Beasley.

king j.a.l.
06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Well I think that Terry Porter is going to have the biggest affect. Now weather that affect is good or bad remains to be seen. The reason why I say that is because Porter is a no nonsense kind of coach. and on a team like Phoenix I think it's going to be like mixing oil and water. I guarantee that the suns will struggle this year because porter is going to want them to play DEFENSE and as we all know that Fat Boy isn't going to play any defense and it's hard for a team thats so use to running all the time to be an half court team and thats what I believe the suns are going to turn to; because if they weren't looking to be an half court team they would had never gotten rid of D'Antonio. Frankly they don't have the personel to be effective in that type of offense. Remember they were in 1st place in the west before the trade and only 18-11 after the trade and that was after Fat Boy had already taken his in-season vacation.

BALLER71
06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
+1 M.H.M
+2 King J.A.L

king j.a.l.
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Eric Spoelstra, he will have a huge impact in miami. This guy can flat out coach and he will give miami a 45+ win season hands down.He will assemble a great team before the season starts (bench, pg, and c) with Wade, Marion, and Beasley.

I do think that he will have a big impact on the team. I just see this as a Back To The Future team with the heat. to me this team kind of reminds me of the '04 team with the kind of players we have. And with a uptempo type offense I'm looking for the same results as that team had only with a couple of more wins.

ATX
06-30-2008, 11:51 AM
It would have to be Mike D'Antoni. A proven winner, who has won at least 54 games in his last four seasons. The Knicks play in the largest market in the country, and they brought in the 2005 NBA coach of the year to turn a franchise around from a culture of losing to one of winning. The chemistry in NY with Isaiah running shop was terrible, wasn't going to get any better. D'Antoni chose the Knicks over the Bulls, which shows he's confident and up to the challenge of getting the most out of those players. You would think the Bulls situation would be much more conducive to winning sooner, but he took the challenge in NY instead. D'Antoni may not have the necessary pieces for his run and gun style yet, however, Marbury, Curry and Randolph could all be gone after the 2008-09 season. Don't expect miracles in one season, but I see D'Antoni as a great hire for NY.

MiamiHeatMafia
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I do think that he will have a big impact on the team. I just see this as a Back To The Future team with the heat. to me this team kind of reminds me of the '04 team with the kind of players we have. And with a uptempo type offense I'm looking for the same results as that team had only with a couple of more wins.

Thats true but save that answer until the season starts where not done yet.We will be making moves and fill in our spots that need to be filled (bench, pg, and c)... Also do u think they will make it to the playoffs and how many wins do u think they will have.

noturnormalhero
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
It would have to be Mike D'Antoni. A proven winner, who has won at least 54 games in his last four seasons. The Knicks play in the largest market in the country, and they brought in the 2005 NBA coach of the year to turn a franchise around from a culture of losing to one of winning. The chemistry in NY with Isaiah running shop was terrible, wasn't going to get any better. D'Antoni chose the Knicks over the Bulls, which shows he's confident and up to the challenge of getting the most out of those players. You would think the Bulls situation would be much more conducive to winning sooner, but he took the challenge in NY instead. D'Antoni may not have the necessary pieces for his run and gun style yet, however, Marbury, Curry and Randolph could all be gone after the 2008-09 season. Don't expect miracles in one season, but I see D'Antoni as a great hire for NY.

I agree with your choice of a coach. The Knicks had the highest paid salary of all NBA last year and once again failed to make the playoffs since the '03 season in which they were swept by the Nets . They haven't been a contender since the '99-00 season and since the departure of Ewing this team has taken on bad contracts and bad characters on a consistent basis. D'Antoni brings a new style of play to a team that last year seem unwilling to follow the direction of Isiah. This team is very talented despite what was shown on the wins and lost columns. With D'Antoni's style of play, with players like Crawford,Richardson,and Robinson..look for the knicks to be a totally different team then a year ago. Hopefully Donnie Walsh gives D'Antoni more then 2 years and not lose his patience as he did with Larry Brown,Wilkens and Herb Williams. Get rid of the attitudes, bad contracts..2-3 years..the Knicks will be a playoff contender with good possibility of getting past the first round which they havent done since '04. Spoelstra down the line will provide impact to a new look team as well, but as of right now, Michael Beasley and a healthy dwayne wade will the biggest impact of this years Heat team.

king j.a.l.
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Thats true but save that answer until the season starts where not done yet.We will be making moves and fill in our spots that need to be filled (bench, pg, and c)... Also do u think they will make it to the playoffs and how many wins do u think they will have.

I think they could be in that 46-maybe 50 range. because I think this team is going to really jump on some of those teams that are in the middle of the pack in the east. I believe there is no reason why we won't be able to better than Atlanta, Washington, and Philly. With Wade you can always count him for 3-4 wins by himself if he's healthy.

daleja424
06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
I guess I'll start by explaining why I think the coach with the biggest impact will not be any of the guys suggested:

Eric Spoelstra is not the answer. This guys is known as a players guy and he will be great for developing our young players...but he wont have a big impact on the team this year. I say this b/c IMO the Heat will be A LOT better next year but not because of Spo. The heat will be better b/c they will have an infusion of young talent and a healthy Dwayne Wade. Just like a rookie player has growing pains...so will Spo as a coach. The answer cant be Spo over some of the great great coaches that have changed locations lately...

Well I think that Terry Porter is going to have the biggest affect. Now weather that affect is good or bad remains to be seen. The reason why I say that is because Porter is a no nonsense kind of coach. and on a team like Phoenix I think it's going to be like mixing oil and water. I guarantee that the suns will struggle this year because porter is going to want them to play DEFENSE and as we all know that Fat Boy isn't going to play any defense and it's hard for a team thats so use to running all the time to be an half court team and thats what I believe the suns are going to turn to; because if they weren't looking to be an half court team they would had never gotten rid of D'Antonio. Frankly they don't have the personel to be effective in that type of offense. Remember they were in 1st place in the west before the trade and only 18-11 after the trade and that was after Fat Boy had already taken his in-season vacation.

You pretty much nailed this one. Not only is Porter a tough defensive minded coach, but he is also not been good as a coach. IMO, if Phoenix intended to sign a tough defensive minded coach...why not hire a guy who has proven he can win in the NBA as a coach... Avery Johnson. The only reason I will say anything about this at all is b/c I dont understand why you picked him as the guy to have the biggest impact on his team. Again... like with the heat... the success and failure of this team relies entirely upon the players (Like the fact that Shaq and Nash are ancient).

Dantoni is a proven winner... with 3 all-stars and a fast paced system. Now he will go to NY and have ZERO all-stars and a bunch of lazy overwight players that can barely jog up the court. Like you said, Dantoni doesn't have the pieces to run and gun AT ALL. How could you pick him to have a big impact next year when his team looks like that. To me a coach with a big impact is somebody who will help the team win more games. Dantoni won't be able to do that with the Knicks next year... nobody will. Look what happened to Dantoni's system when Shaq joined it...it got clogged! Now add 2 slow Shaqtype guys in the middle and it will be an even bigger mess. Plus this team doesnt have an elite PG or athletic big man to run pick and rolls with. Basically the Knicks couldn't have been a worse team for Dantoni to join and vice versa. I think Avery Johnson...much like I said with Phoenix... would have been the better fit for the Knicks... You mentioned that Dantoni will eventually make it work in NY...but how? The Knicks are stuck with many of these crappy overweight players for 2-3 years. He will get rid of Marbury next year, but still be over the cap and unable to sign players... By the time the knicks could possibly acquire the type of players Dantoni needs to win it will be too late. No one, and I mean no one, gets to coach in New York for 3 years w/o winning...

Also, the answer will not be Scott Skiles in Milwaukee. Milwaukee will make the playoffs next year... but for the 3rd time now I will say that it doesn't have much to do with with the caoching change... its way ore about the fact that they got RJ...

And now, without further ado...The correct answer issss....Larry Brown in Charlotte. Not very many people can get more out of players then Larry Brown. Charlotte is a team that severely underachieved last year. This is a team with a TON of talent that just doesn't know how to win games. Without any major additions (besides the coaching change) the Bobcats could go from lottery to playoffs next year just based on a shift of attitude and work ethic. Look at there roster. They have Raymond Felton (5th overall in 04), Emeka Okafor (2nd overall in 05), Adam Morrison (3rd overall in 06), DJ Augustine (9th overall in 08) + Gerald Wallace and jason richardson. A lot of these guys have spent their careers underachieving... well that is about to change. There is no way that a team with a top ten pick for the last 5 years and two star guard/forwards should only 32 games.The reason I pick Larry Brown is b/c the Bobcats have had the talent to make the playoffs for years, but never knew how... and Brown can teach them. Brown has been coaching in the NBA now for 24 seasons, and made the playoffs 17 times out of the 24. He also has a career winning percentage of .560 in the NBA and has a Championship to his name. This guy knows how to win in the NBA... and has been one of the greatest caoches in history. This guy will turn the Cats around and have a huge impact on them making the playoffs next year.

SwaggaIke
06-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Rick Carlisle. A proven coach who has done it at a high level w/ two organizations. He was brought in to the Pistons in 2001 and they immediately reaped the benefits. He posted a 50-32, a playoff appearance and won the coach of the year award. He repeated w/ the same record the following year. In 2003-2004 he went to Indiana and they posted the league's best record. He has had success in both of his stints as a head coach. He also learned under a pretty good coach (Larry Bird) in Indiana as an assistant before getting his first head coaching job in Detroit. He brings a strict defensive mentality to every team he coaches and usually takes them to the next level. Look out for Carlisle and the Mavs.

ATX
06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I guess I'll start by explaining why I think the coach with the biggest impact will not be any of the guys suggested:

Eric Spoelstra is not the answer. This guys is known as a players guy and he will be great for developing our young players...but he wont have a big impact on the team this year. I say this b/c IMO the Heat will be A LOT better next year but not because of Spo. The heat will be better b/c they will have an infusion of young talent and a healthy Dwayne Wade. Just like a rookie player has growing pains...so will Spo as a coach. The answer cant be Spo over some of the great great coaches that have changed locations lately...

You pretty much nailed this one. Not only is Porter a tough defensive minded coach, but he is also not been good as a coach. IMO, if Phoenix intended to sign a tough defensive minded coach...why not hire a guy who has proven he can win in the NBA as a coach... Avery Johnson. The only reason I will say anything about this at all is b/c I dont understand why you picked him as the guy to have the biggest impact on his team. Again... like with the heat... the success and failure of this team relies entirely upon the players (Like the fact that Shaq and Nash are ancient).

Dantoni is a proven winner... with 3 all-stars and a fast paced system. Now he will go to NY and have ZERO all-stars and a bunch of lazy overwight players that can barely jog up the court. Like you said, Dantoni doesn't have the pieces to run and gun AT ALL. How could you pick him to have a big impact next year when his team looks like that. To me a coach with a big impact is somebody who will help the team win more games. Dantoni won't be able to do that with the Knicks next year... nobody will. Look what happened to Dantoni's system when Shaq joined it...it got clogged! Now add 2 slow Shaqtype guys in the middle and it will be an even bigger mess. Plus this team doesnt have an elite PG or athletic big man to run pick and rolls with. Basically the Knicks couldn't have been a worse team for Dantoni to join and vice versa. I think Avery Johnson...much like I said with Phoenix... would have been the better fit for the Knicks... You mentioned that Dantoni will eventually make it work in NY...but how? The Knicks are stuck with many of these crappy overweight players for 2-3 years. He will get rid of Marbury next year, but still be over the cap and unable to sign players... By the time the knicks could possibly acquire the type of players Dantoni needs to win it will be too late. No one, and I mean no one, gets to coach in New York for 3 years w/o winning...

Also, the answer will not be Scott Skiles in Milwaukee. Milwaukee will make the playoffs next year... but for the 3rd time now I will say that it doesn't have much to do with with the caoching change... its way ore about the fact that they got RJ...

And now, without further ado...The correct answer issss....Larry Brown in Charlotte. Not very many people can get more out of players then Larry Brown. Charlotte is a team that severely underachieved last year. This is a team with a TON of talent that just doesn't know how to win games. Without any major additions (besides the coaching change) the Bobcats could go from lottery to playoffs next year just based on a shift of attitude and work ethic. Look at there roster. They have Raymond Felton (5th overall in 04), Emeka Okafor (2nd overall in 05), Adam Morrison (3rd overall in 06), DJ Augustine (9th overall in 08) + Gerald Wallace and jason richardson. A lot of these guys have spent their careers underachieving... well that is about to change. There is no way that a team with a top ten pick for the last 5 years and two star guard/forwards should only 32 games.The reason I pick Larry Brown is b/c the Bobcats have had the talent to make the playoffs for years, but never knew how... and Brown can teach them. Brown has been coaching in the NBA now for 24 seasons, and made the playoffs 17 times out of the 24. He also has a career winning percentage of .560 in the NBA and has a Championship to his name. This guy knows how to win in the NBA... and has been one of the greatest caoches in history. This guy will turn the Cats around and have a huge impact on them making the playoffs next year.

First of all, the question asked, which coach will have the biggest impact on his team?....Where did it say next year? Furthermore, where does his topic say to first codemn everyone elses answers before you offer your own? All your doing is trying to sway Ballers opion while bashing ours. I stand by my answer whole heartedly! The Knicks have been a perpetual disaster and now bring in a proven, winning coach in D'Antoni...and to say he will have no impact? He will clean house, and bring in a whole new roster between now and next years free agency period. His players will want to play for him, unlike when Isiahs players quit on him, ...He's a players coach...Again, the question didn't say "Who will have the greatest impact next year" It's the best move they've made in a decade. I concede Daleja...I have to work, and don't have the time to be able to write a freaking term paper for every reponse like you.

daleja424
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
First of all, the question asked, which coach will have the biggest impact on his team?....Where did it say next year? Furthermore, where does his topic say to first codemn everyone elses answers before you offer your own? All your doing is trying to sway Ballers opion while bashing ours. I stand by my answer whole heartedly! The Knicks have been a perpetual disaster and now bring in a proven, winning coach in D'Antoni...and to say he will have no impact? He will clean house, and bring in a whole new roster between now and next years free agency period. His players will want to play for him, unlike when Isiahs players quit on him, ...He's a players coach...Again, the question didn't say "Who will have the greatest impact next year" It's the best move they've made in a decade. I concede Daleja...I have to work, and don't have the time to be able to write a freaking term paper for every reponse like you.

Dude... you took that too personally. I was just going thorugh the candidates in my head... no one even mentioned Skiles... and I brought him up to. Plus a agreed with most of what people said. I wasnt trying to bring anyone down or anything.... I was just trying to justify my answer... The way for me to prove that Brown will be the best asset to his team in part is to discuss why the others wont be as much of an asset. As for your answer of Dantoni, its not bad. And i think that if given the right players he COULD easily turn the Knicks around... its just that coached in NY arent usually given that luxury. They either have to win with what they got or they are out in a year or two. The Knicks will be better next year under Dantoni, but IMO Brown could get his team into the playoffs and I dont see the knicks being a playoff team... sorry if I offended you. And BTW... I work early in the morning and write on here in the afternoon/evening so I have time to give my whole answer.... why are you hating on me for that???

daleja424
06-30-2008, 03:34 PM

and btw... have you ever watched ATH. They always start answers explaining why they disagree with someone else's opinion...

king j.a.l.
07-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Well the reason why I choose Porter is bcuz he is the total opposite of the Suns. they like to run. he wants a half court offense. they play no defense . he wants a defensive minded team. he is a tough old school type of coach thats not going to deal with the crap that some of these premadonnas are going to give him. When he asked what new coach will have the biggest impact on their team he didn't say it had to be a positive impact. when you put an unstopable force against a unmovable object at some point were they meet there's going to be an explosion and I think that this situation is going to go boom boom.His style of coaching is going to disrupt this team one way or another, good or bad. But I think its going to be bad.

BALLER71
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
King J.A.L-2.5
ATX-3
M.H.M-1
Noturnormalhero-3
Daleja-3
SwaggaIKe-2