PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the NL Central?

OnWisconsin2007
06-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm going with the homer pick, the Brewers. Unlike last year, we started off slow and are coming from a bad start and playing great right now. All our pitching is coming around, our hitters are hot, and we're gelling together. Not to mention, we have CHI at home 2 series, including the last series of the year. I think Milwaukee will somehow find a way to win the division, we're only 4.5 back, anyways, not like a monumental defecit.

yojoe792
06-30-2008, 01:25 AM
If healthy, the Cubs have the best TEAM. But, I like the Brewers. If they can manage to get a top pitcher (CC Sabthia?) I think they will take it. Fielder-Braun and Sheets-Sabthia is :hide:

viktor06
06-30-2008, 05:55 AM
I love how everyone said that's the weakest division in baseball and it looks like all three of Cubs, Brewers, Cards are stacked

blams
06-30-2008, 08:12 AM
ha, still the 2nd worst division in baseball though.

cards are stacked (lol), brewers have no pitching.

cubs will run away with this thing. this thread is a waste.

nstachowski
06-30-2008, 08:31 AM

What the hell is your problem?

I'm a Cards fan and even I think the Cubs will definately win the division to, but this thread is not a waste. 3 teams are still well in it right now and the Stros would be up there if they wouldn't have went on that terrible cold streak lately. I think the Astros could still possibly go on a hot streak and catch up because i think that they have one of the best lineups in the National League

Cub_StuckinSTL
06-30-2008, 08:36 AM

You're an idiot. The three best record in the NL all come out of the NL Central and the Wild Card will come out of it. As much as I would love the cubs to run away with it I dont see it happening.

The cards have Dave Duncan arguably the best pitching coach in the league

The brewers offense, when hot, is unreal.

I still see the cubs taking it because they are the most balanced team but its not going to be easy.

redwhitenblue
06-30-2008, 08:57 AM
brandonlamana, proving one post at a time he lacks the common sense to talk sports

Ragun
06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
The Cubs.

cwilson21
06-30-2008, 01:32 PM
brandonlamana, proving one post at a time he lacks the common sense to talk sports

Haha exactly. If you really want to see stupidity, go to the NFL forum and see his posts.

OnWisconsin2007
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
All I know, is down the stretch this is going to get interesting. Still 2 series between the Cubs and Brewers at Miller Park, including the last one of the year for each team. Milwaukee was 4 games under, now 7 over, and I expect with a 9 game homestand before the all-star break we'll be (hopefully) 10-12 or so games over .500. Obviously the Cubs are really good. Good pitching, great hitting, and a good manager. St. Louis is just a solid team with the best player in the division, Pujols. I think the last 2 months of the season we'll see all three teams, St. Louis, Chicago and Milwaukee no more than 3 games apart from each other. Obviously I'll be rooting for the Brewers.

Max Power
06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
It should be the Cubs. They've gone through a rash of injuries and are still in first. Hendry always pulls the trigger on a big trade when the Cubs are in the race, and Sheets is due for one of his tri-annual trips to the DL any day now.

DamnGoat
06-30-2008, 03:12 PM

2nd Worst division in baseball?

Try looking at some records before you post this crap.

The 3 best records in the NL are in the NL Central...so they're terrible? What an ignorant comment.

v3n0m
06-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I think both of Chicago's teams will win each of their own divisions...

cardinal27
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
If cards get back some of the broken pieces .Carpenter,Wainoand Izzy closing again. That will be like making 3 major trades. then I believe they have enough to win the central 7th time in 9 years. On the central being weak just read the paper. oh and by the way until the rockies broke the steak last 3 NL champs were from the central division. one more thing last NL WS champ was the St. Louis Cardinals.

sanfranfan1210
06-30-2008, 04:48 PM
The Cubs

CardzRule
06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm going with my home team in the Cards. Even at their level, there is so much room for improvement within the organization. And all the players are only getting better as the season goes on.

redwhitenblue
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
If cards get back some of the broken pieces .Carpenter,Wainoand Izzy closing again. That will be like making 3 major trades. then I believe they have enough to win the central 7th time in 9 years. On the central being weak just read the paper. oh and by the way until the rockies broke the steak last 3 NL champs were from the central division. one more thing last NL WS champ was the St. Louis Cardinals.
Similar can be said if the Cubs get Zambrano, Soriano and Eyre back 100%...Izzy isn't unhealthy, he's just sucked

mortgageman
06-30-2008, 06:28 PM
The Cubs will win the division there just the better team but it will be fun to see the Brewers and Cards compete (but i'm not a bias Cub fan either nooooo)

H-MYK
06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I would pick the Cubs, however, I have a feeling that it would be a close race between them, the Cards and the Brewers.

Jack_Bauer
06-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Cubs

Brooke
06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
as a Brewer fan I wish they would win it but I don't think they will. I hate the Cubs but I think they will win it with the Cards winning the Wild Card

The Brewers will still be in it though, they are starting to get hot with bats and their pitching is improving

cardinal27
07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Similar can be said if the Cubs get Zambrano, Soriano and Eyre back 100%...Izzy isn't unhealthy, he's just sucked
first i wrote Izzy back closing, he is pitching much better. Z missed two weeks
Soriano vs pujols who is more important to there team.
Eyre middle relief. Carp is the wild card. on paper cubs and brewers are better.The cards just win. 6 div titles in 8 years cubs 2 brewers 0
July 4th should be fun

redwhitenblue
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
first i wrote Izzy back closing, he is pitching much better. Z missed two weeks
Soriano vs pujols who is more important to there team.
Eyre middle relief. Carp is the wild card. on paper cubs and brewers are better.The cards just win. 6 div titles in 8 years cubs 2 brewers 0
July 4th should be fun
The last 8 years mean nothing to this years winner

And no one mentioned Pujols injury, you said Carp, Wainwright and Izzy

And the Cards should know how important middle relief is, doesn't your BP have right at the league lead in L's

cardinal27
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
The last 8 years mean nothing to this years winner

And no one mentioned Pujols injury, you said Carp, Wainwright and Izzy

And the Cards should know how important middle relief is, doesn't your BP have right at the league lead in L's
Yes our bullpen leads in loses and blown saves which is why I stated Izzy back to closing. He blew so many saves I lost count. Looks like he might have righted the ship. Franklin is not a closer. Last 8 years mean something, it shows a teams ability to find a way to overcome adversity and changes.
Look at the cards team from NL champs of 2004 only 3 players are on the 2008 team, no big free agents. They just keep finding ways to win. Unlike the cubs who have not had back to back playoff appearances in 100 years.
Right about Pujols I did not mention him.

zambo4president
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
cubbies

The A Team
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I have to grudgingly admit the Cubs should have no problem winning the division. Everything has gone right for the Cards with guys like Ludwick mashing and their SPs all overperforming. I just don't see them keeping it all together. The Brewers could be a scary challenge for Cubs fans if they go and get one of the many great veteran starters available.

BrewCrewFan8
07-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Shouldn't the cubs easily win it since they can spend whatever money they have to get the players they need and how much bigger is their payroll then everybody in the nl central?

redwhitenblue
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Shouldn't the cubs easily win it since they can spend whatever money they have to get the players they need and how much bigger is their payroll then everybody in the nl central?
Yes, because it's been proven that payroll=wins
HEnce the D'Backs last year, the Rays this year, the Yankees dominance and the league's standings being ordered by salaries

The Cubs actually are fairly handcuffed this trade deadline in financial terms with the team up for sale, and they've only been a big spending team the last 5 years or so, before that they typically failed to sign big name stars that weren't already there

OnWisconsin2007
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
He makes a good point. No matter what the Brewers try, the Cubs can spend 300 million dollars in a single offseason and offset anything we try ;(

Tragedy
07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm going to have to take the Cubs on this one. I really think they're going to go far into the Playoffs, too.

I like the Cardinals, and I really like the Lohse signing. They're going to continue finding ways to win even with a team with plenty of DL members. While what they've done is certainly impressive, I think the Cubs hold them off (And the Brewers, for that matter), and win the Central.

redwhitenblue
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
He makes a good point. No matter what the Brewers try, the Cubs can spend 300 million dollars in a single offseason and offset anything we try ;(
They did that once

chicagofan71
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM

A) We;ve done that once

B) Quit *****ing about payroll and how you're a small market team. Small market teams can easily win their divsions, especially if you draft and trade well. You guys have Braun Hardy, Hart, Fielder, and Gallardo along with a sick farm syste. Small makrte teams CAN win

BaRRySandAmaN
07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
The Brewers are going to get hott and do exactly what the Cubs did last year. The Cubs always find a way to botch a good thing, They will find a way to lose the division but still make the Playoffs in the Wildcard. Either way I dont see the Pitching for the Cards holding up because lets face it, Wainwright is hurt and those guys are overachieving IMO.

chicagofan71
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
The Brewers are going to get hott and do exactly what the Cubs did last year. The Cubs always find a way to botch a good thing, They will find a way to lose the division but still make the Playoffs in the Wildcard. Either way I dont see the Pitching for the Cards holding up because lets face it, Wainwright is hurt and those guys are overachieving IMO.

That's pretty much how I see it

redwhitenblue
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
The Cubs always find a way to botch a good thing, They will find a way to lose the division but still make the Playoffs in the Wildcard. Going by that path of logic, the Brewers always find a way to not make the playoffs

CardzRule
07-02-2008, 10:00 AM

Except Wainwright is coming back. And some aren't overachieving. Wellemeyer, while streaky similar to his 0-2, then 7-2, and 7-3, has longer winning streaks. Lohse is the real deal if you watch him pitch consistently. Piniero's got a lot of bad luck and support. Boggs is coming along. Mulder's gonna generally move back to the rotation. The Bullpen's healing and getting better. All the rookies (7?) are gaining experience and getting better. This is why I think the Cardinals will succeed. They are a "grassroots" baseball team this year, something that hasn't succeeded in a long time. Still need to perform better at home though.

torontocubs
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
The Cubs are the best team in the NL, and that hasn't change throughout their injury problems, and if you look at them being affected by two DL stints for Soriano and losing their ace, you can't really compare that to Pujols being out for 15 days, and Izzy blowing balls. Carpenter can't really be considered because frankly, he is such a toss up at this point that who knows whether he will come back strong.

The Brewers have the best shot at taking the cubs, but I just don't see how they can overthrow them. Their offence is getting hot, but the Cubs have had that hot of an offence all season. Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, Hart still doesn't compete with Soriano, Fukudome, Lee, Ramirez, Soto. I think the Brewers have something great starting, and it's nice to see them re-sign Braun to an Extension. Now they can have fun trying to fit Hart (who IMO is the key to that offence) as well as Veggie-Fielder. Like I said in the Brewers landing CC post, I just don't see management putting that much emphasis on winning for half a season, in return for a guy thats going to hurt your farm system and walk in off season. Plus whats to say they get Sabathia and Sheets doesn't go down with an injury.

It will be fun to watch, but I think the more interesting race come september will be the battle between the cards and the brewers for the wild card in the NL, and that is something I would love to see a thread on. Because those two teams are going to be the real fight come september.

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
The whole Carpenter thing, i mean he has been injured so many times, thats like us saying wait until we get Angel Guzman back.
Chicago is going to take this one, hands down, when they get soriano,zambrano,reed johnson, edmonds fully healthy,theriot lately,Fukudome has had some days out, ward, we all know ramirez usually takes a trip to the DL, and right nowis with his family, who ele to name, o and eyre, thats lot of players, important ones too not all superstars but the ones who do the little things like moving the runners over ad workin the counts

CardinalRed4eva
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

The only thing that is a waste, is your post. :pity:

You're an idiot. The three best record in the NL all come out of the NL Central and the Wild Card will come out of it. As much as I would love the cubs to run away with it I dont see it happening.

The cards have Dave Duncan arguably the best pitching coach in the league

The brewers offense, when hot, is unreal.

I still see the cubs taking it because they are the most balanced team but its not going to be easy.
Completely agreed.

Also Mulder just came back, if that helps....:shrug:

CardinalRed4eva
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
The whole Carpenter thing, i mean he has been injured so many times, thats like us saying wait until we get Angel Guzman back.
Chicago is going to take this one, hands down, when they get soriano,zambrano,reed johnson, edmonds fully healthy,theriot lately,Fukudome has had some days out, ward, we all know ramirez usually takes a trip to the DL, and right nowis with his family, who ele to name, o and eyre, thats lot of players, important ones too not all superstars but the ones who do the little things like moving the runners over ad workin the counts

You can't compare Angel Guzman to Chris Carpenter. They play two completely different positions, and they both have had two different types of injuries....so I don't know what point you're trying to make there.
Also, please don't get me started with the injury conversation...because the Cardinals have suffered a ton more than the Cubs, and if we could have just half the players back, we'd probably be in 1st place by now.

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
You can't compare Angel Guzman to Chris Carpenter. They play two completely different positions, and they both have had two different types of injuries....so I don't know what point you're trying to make there.
Also, please don't get me started with the injury conversation...because the Cardinals have suffered a ton more than the Cubs, and if we could have just half the players back, we'd probably be in 1st place by now.

It turns out, i know more about your team than you know, ChrisCarpenter is a pitcher along with ANGEL GUZMAN, and yea it is like comparing them, they have the same story, both have electric stuff and cant stay healthy
and if you think yourteam has had more injuries, think again and name all of your injuries, it doesnt compare to what the cubs have.PLUS if you did have the same amount of injuries,than y are we higher in the STANDINGS?????

pavel96
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Cinncy is gonna get hot they got the best hurler in baseball

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

If They perform very well they can finish 3rd at best behind chi n stl
Dusty isnt going to help them either

torontocubs
07-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Cincy is going to need a lot more than just Volquez to get past the FOUR BETTER Teams ahead of them. People are also forgetting the strength of the astros. If they were to somehow lure a big time name at the deadline, unlikely because they have very little farm system left, but they could contend if they had some stronger pitching. They could be a really interesting team next year if they could sign a big name like Sheets or Sabathia in the offseason.

chisoxfan620
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
The Brewers and Cubs will battle each other out until the very end of the season. Should be an exciting race. I'd give the division to the Cubs though.

pavel96
07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
it was kinda a joke but they need to trade dunn

cardsfan15_27
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM

2nd worst division huh, well considering that fact that st.louis and the brewers would be in first place in the west and east it looks like their the best division in the national league, and the only better division is the AL East. so before you run your mouth check your facts.

Phillies 45-39
Marlins 43-40
Mets 41-42
Braves 40-44
Nationals 34-51

Cubs 50-34
Cards 48-37
Brewers 45-38
Astros 40-44
Pirates 39-44
Reds 39-46

DiamondBacks 42-42
Dodgers 39-44
Giants 37-47
Rockies 33-51
Padres 33-52

But we can't really say who will win the division just yet, the cubs are good thats no doubt but that have a losing tradition and that doesn't go away, if the cubs sweep that cards this week that will put us at least 5.5 games back considering we go win 1 of the next 2 vs the mets. the cards have made a awesome stand this year, i have been suprised with their performance, and if the trade rumors are true we might get fuentes and matt holliday, it should get interesting. but if we do go 5.5 games back i just can't see our pitching keeping up with the cubs, but i do think it will be close the cubs and cards playoff series would be amazing.

CHWworldseries
07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Reds All The Way

C-ross12
07-03-2008, 07:16 AM

Us cubs fans know how bad injuries suck.

As for the Cards they are all pretty much playing over what they should be.
Todd Wellemeyer - Over his career numbers by a good portion on WHIP, Era, and SO/BB ratio.
Ryan Ludwick - Been a solid PT player over his career, but is playing nuts this year. His stats are much higher then his career stats in OPS+, OBP and is slugging nearly 100 points higher.
Kyle Lohse - Same as Wellemeyer.
Aaron Miles - His OPS+ is 25 points higher then and average year.
Most of those guys especially should come down a bit.

Brewers worry me.

The pitching is good, and the hitting is good. Overall just a good solid team. Have the minor league players to make a deal if they wanted (laporta, Gamel, Jeffreys, Escobar ect.)