PDA

View Full Version : Fact/Fiction

irishfan1582
06-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I decided to bring this thread over to my dear Braves fans since I've been taking a part of the action in the Falcons threads.

So here's how we play. I say fact fiction, make a statement, you guys reply with a fact/fiction answer, a breif statement why and ask your own fact/fiction statement. So.....now we know the rules, let's play:

F/F: Braves make the playoffs in 2008

Saltyfan
06-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Fiction, Unfortunatly I dont believe our injured players make a full comeback cause they get rehurt, I think we wait to long for a trade, and get to far out of contention, then we trade Tex. Do we make it next year. Maybe, 3yrs from now FOR SURE. (Hope and PRAY this doesn't happen)
With that being said my question is: Do the injuried players come back and preform?

irishfan1582
06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Fact: But it take a while. Kotsay will be back Tuesday and you benefit from him right away. Diaz may take a while but when he does I think he platoons with Blanco and becomes a force against Lefties. Glavine and Soriano hopefully come back and add depth. Chipper is more then likely headed to the DL, but I don't see him slowing down when he gets back either.

F/F: Tex is traded before July 31st.

Coach100
06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Fiction: Wren said today that they Braves are "Right in the hunt" and that they may add, but not subtract, pieces. If the braves stay within 5 games, they will keep trying to make a run.

Fact or Fiction: Diaz should become the 4th OF with Blanco starting in LF and leading off for the remainder of the season.

Saltyfan
06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Fact. We need Someone to lead off. I think he should still play center, and let Kotsay and Diaz platoon inleft.
Should the Braves allow Hampton back in the Rotation

jmtapia
06-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Fiction: Wren said today that they Braves are "Right in the hunt" and that they may add, but not subtract, pieces. If the braves stay within 5 games, they will keep trying to make a run.

Fact or Fiction: Diaz should become the 4th OF with Blanco starting in LF and leading off for the remainder of the season.

Fiction....Diaz power is way more intriguing and what our lineup needs.

jmtapia
06-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Fact. We need Someone to lead off. I think he should still play center, and let Kotsay and Diaz platoon inleft.
Should the Braves allow Hampton back in the Rotation

Not sure this is how question are suppose to be asked but YES what else are we suppose to do with his $15 Million salary. He would make a great #5 starter and probably the most expensive one until Zito takes over his spot...:p

jmtapia
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah: FACT or Fiction.......Frenchy ends up with a BA of .275.

nps6724
06-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Fiction....Diaz power is way more intriguing and what our lineup needs.

What power, exactly? The best he ever gave was 21 2B, 12 HR. If Blanco can do decently at leadoff, I'd take him over Diaz. Diaz may have more power, but he gets on base less and it would again leave us without a leadoff hitter.

irishfan1582
06-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Oh yeah: FACT or Fiction.......Frenchy ends up with a BA of .275.

Fiction: .250 at best I think, if he plays everyday and continues to try and pull every single pitch. Saw it the other day where he swung and tried to pull a pitch out. Just Kidding, but I'm sure he would try it.

Fact/Fiction: Hampton wins 8 games in the 2nd half.

ugafan
06-30-2008, 02:26 AM
Fiction: .250 at best I think, if he plays everyday and continues to try and pull every single pitch. Saw it the other day where he swung and tried to pull a pitch out. Just Kidding, but I'm sure he would try it.

Fact/Fiction: Hampton pitches 8 games in the 2nd half.

Fixed, and no way.

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 02:44 AM
What power, exactly? The best he ever gave was 21 2B, 12 HR. If Blanco can do decently at leadoff, I'd take him over Diaz. Diaz [B]may[B] have [B]more power[B], but he gets on base less and it would again leave us without a leadoff hitter.

he does.....thats the power im talking about.

Diaz got on base at a .364 and .368 clip the last two years.... hardly something to frown upon.

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 02:46 AM

Fact/Fiction: Hampton wins 8 games in the 2nd half.

What if he doesnt????:cool:

irishfan1582
06-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Fixed, and no way.

Fixed? I guess you didn't see the game yesterday. With a runner on second and only needing to slap a ball to the right side to move him over, Jeff goes around a ball 3 inches outside and grounds out to 3B.

He fixed his approach for about a week then went right back to attempting to pull everything.

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Fixed? I guess you didn't see the game yesterday. With a runner on second and only needing to slap a ball to the right side to move him over, Jeff goes around a ball 3 inches outside and grounds out to 3B.

He fixed his approach for about a week then went right back to attempting to pull everything.

Even if he moves the runner over. The next batter SO and grounded out. Our best chances were for him to do something himself even if he failed. Frenchy is psychic he new.:p

nps6724
06-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Even if he moves the runner over. The next batter SO and grounded out. Our best chances were for him to do something himself even if he failed. Frenchy is psychic he new.:p

Technically speaking, Francoeur's groundout puts Norton at 3rd for the wild pitch, which Norton could've scored on. Maybe Jeff listened to Miss Cleo instead of Dione Warwick? ;)

irishfan1582
06-30-2008, 02:57 AM

Yeah the next batter grounded out but if you remember, there was a wild pitch which caused the runner to move over to third anyways. Not saying the wild pitch would of still happened but had it with a guy on third the run could of scored.

nps6724
06-30-2008, 02:59 AM
he does.....thats the power im talking about.

Diaz got on base at a .364 and .368 clip the last two years.... hardly something to frown upon.

His OBP was that high because he batted .327 and .338. Sure, when he's hitting he gets on base. But Blanco can get on base even when he's not hitting. Diaz, OTOH, just doesn't walk at all. He's worse than Jeff when it comes to walks. That power he gave us last year, is the BEST he's ever done. Diaz had a .368 OBP when he was hitting .338, Blanco has one right now batting .270. Diaz just isn't the same player in '08 that he was in '06 and '07. If he was, I'd agree with you. But comparing the '08 Diaz and Blanco, I'd take Blanco hands down. Diaz had 4 XBH in 132 AB, Blanco has 8 in 211. And Blanco doesn't strike out nearly as much.

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Technically speaking, Francoeur's groundout puts Norton at 3rd for the wild pitch, which Norton could've scored on. Maybe Jeff listened to Miss Cleo instead of Dione Warwick? ;)

lol.....

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 03:03 AM
His OBP was that high because he batted .327 and .338. Sure, when he's hitting he gets on base. But Blanco can get on base even when he's not hitting. Diaz, OTOH, just doesn't walk at all. He's worse than Jeff when it comes to walks. That power he gave us last year, is the BEST he's ever done. Diaz had a .368 OBP when he was hitting .338, Blanco has one right now batting .270. Diaz just isn't the same player in '08 that he was in '06 and '07. If he was, I'd agree with you. But comparing the '08 Diaz and Blanco, I'd take Blanco hands down. Diaz had 4 XBH in 132 AB, Blanco has 8 in 211. And Blanco doesn't strike out nearly as much.

Blanco Ks 25% of his ABs......not really what you want from a Lead Off man. :no:

He is improving but i still want to see him cut on his Ks.

ugafan
06-30-2008, 03:04 AM

I meant your question was fixed, I changed win to pitch.

irishfan1582
06-30-2008, 03:05 AM
ok so back to the F/F. Enough Frenchy bashing for one night I suppose.

F/F: Braves let Tex walk in order to sign another desired free agent at seasons end.

jmtapia
06-30-2008, 03:08 AM
ok so back to the F/F. Enough Frenchy bashing for one night I suppose.

F/F: Braves let Tex walk in order to sign another desired free agent at seasons end.

Fiction: if thats the case we have enough money to sign more then just Tex.

irishfan1582
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
F/F: The Braves do aquire the right handed bat that everyone is asking for by the deadline.

nps6724
06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
F/F: The Braves do aquire the right handed bat that everyone is asking for by the deadline.

Fact, but it will probably be an underwhelming addition. Maybe backup C Jason Phillips who is in AAA.

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
nah it's going to be a good right-handed bat that nobody even thought of. that is the braves style.

F/F: Braves demote Acosta in the next upcoming week and bring up Julio.

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 02:37 AM
nah it's going to be a good right-handed bat that nobody even thought of. that is the braves style.

F/F: Braves demote Acosta in the next upcoming week and bring up Julio.

Fiction.I dont see Cox sending him down yet.

F/F.We get a bullpen arm as well

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 02:55 AM
fact: sori is too risky to rely on. we will get someone, whether it is via trade or internal options.

F/F: franky actually won't be worthless in this upcoming series against the phils.

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 03:01 AM
fact: sori is too risky to rely on. we will get someone, whether it is via trade or internal options.

F/F: franky actually won't be worthless in this upcoming series against the phils.

Fact.I think he starts to wake up from the dead and no better time to bring the "clutchness" back against the Phils

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:02 AM

Fiction: oh the Frenchy questions...here you go so people wont be disapointed...he will go 0-12 with 8 K and 4 GIDP. :p

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Q.Schafer gets brought up before the break

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Dang i always forget to post one:

Fact or Fiction: Esco starts tomorrow

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:05 AM
Q.Schafer gets brought up before the break

Fiction, Blanco is playing very well now a days... look for him in LF. Only way is if Kotsay has set back. Now after the All Star break if Blanco struggles i can see it.

irishfan1582
07-01-2008, 03:06 AM

Fiction: He continues to press and struggles with RISP.

F/F: Braves take 2 of 3 against the Phillies.

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:07 AM
Dang i always forget to post one:

Fact or Fiction: Esco starts tomorrowFact Fact Fact without a doubt Fact. the kid is a competitor no way he misses this series.

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:08 AM

FACT: Im a loyal Braves fan...

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 03:09 AM

Fact.Can be a sweep if Myers pitches like he usualy does against the Braves

Q.We make a trade this week

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Fiction: oh the Frenchy questions...here you go so people wont be disapointed...he will go 0-12 with 8 K and 4 GIDP. :pif he wasn't performing in a manner in which we have to ask questions about him we wouldn't ask those questions concerning him, sorry.

irishfan1582
07-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Fact.Can be a sweep if Myers pitches like he usualy does against the Braves

Q.We make a trade this week

Fiction: I'm sure everyone would love for us to, but if anything happens I think it will be last minute.

F/F: Tex hits 3HR in series against Phils

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:13 AM
FACT: Im a loyal Braves fan...loyality has nothing to do with it, you can say we lose the series and still be a loyal fan.

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:16 AM
^^^ good for you...

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:18 AM
if he wasn't performing in a manner in which we have to ask questions about him we wouldn't ask those questions concerning him, sorry.

sorry that your heart just about jumps off your chest every time he rolls over a fast ball...:)

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:20 AM
^^^ good for you...
don't be so quick to pull the trigger, I am just saying. I didn't say we are going to win or lose the series, I rather keep it that way.

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:22 AM
^^^ i just cant help it but be an the ultimate optimistic. Thats what keeps me watching and cheering....

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:22 AM
sorry that your heart just about jumps off your chest every time he rolls over a fast ball...:)
sorry that you actually enjoy and tolerate that.;)

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 03:23 AM
I know this has nothing to do with what we are doing but How do you get Sigs.And I always wanted to know what IMO means

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:24 AM
^^^ i dont its just that i understand player development..

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
IMO....in my opinion.

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:25 AM
^^^ i just cant help it but be an the ultimate optimistic. Thats what keeps me watching and cheering....I get where you are coming from cause I use to be like that (believe it or not), until the disspointment just overwhelmed me, I found it less stressful if I just go with the flow.

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:29 AM
^^^ i dont its just that i understand player development..
:clap:good for you:up:

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:30 AM
^^^ Yeah I feel a lot of Braves' fans are easy to start cursing our team out at the first chance. We need to step back and realize that our team is doing the best they can with all these injuries. I bet its a lot harder for them to look at the standing then it is to us. Our job as fans is to support not bad mouth. We at times forget, me being one, that these guys live lives that we dont understand one bit.

jmtapia
07-01-2008, 03:31 AM
:clap:good for you:up:

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Fiction: I'm sure everyone would love for us to, but if anything happens I think it will be last minute.

F/F: Tex hits 3HR in series against Phils
fact: he should be able to knock 3 off these philly pitchers but again you never know.

F/F: gonzo will get a chance to close out two of these games

BRAVE KID
07-01-2008, 03:37 AM
I know this has nothing to do with what we are doing but How do you get Sigs.And I always wanted to know what IMO meansyou need 100 posts to get a sig, since you already have that go to the bottom of the PSD forum to the forum "sig requests" then make a thread asking for whatever sig you may like (it would be helpful to give them some sample pics of that player). hopefully someone will be able to make you one.

robdizzle3
07-01-2008, 03:39 AM
^^^ Yeah I feel a lot of Braves' fans are easy to start cursing our team out at the first chance. We need to step back and realize that our team is doing the best they can with all these injuries. I bet its a lot harder for them to look at the standing then it is to us. Our job as fans is to support not bad mouth. We at times forget, me being one, that these guys live lives that we dont understand one bit.

Thanks for the info because I was lost when I heard people say that.I agree JM and thats why I am always trying to take something good from the situation no matter what it is.Even though some of us are bashing Frenchy in some threads it was good to see the Braves fans that be in this forum back him up when some of the Giants fans came in here and started dissing him.Especially you JM because you even went into there Forum and backed him.I know BK used to be optimistic an I guess he just got tired of it which I cant blame him.Or BK just doesnt want to give us bad luck and I do the same sometimes.Great to belong to a forum with real Braves fans

jmtapia
07-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Fact or Fiction: Frenchy is back with the ATL in the first game back from the ASB????

BRAVE KID
07-05-2008, 02:11 AM
fact: the braves won't make him wait any longer however if he is completely and I mean completely bombing then no (but I highly doubt that).

F/F: we get shaun green from the mariners.

jmtapia
07-05-2008, 03:43 AM
fact: the braves won't make him wait any longer however if he is completely and I mean completely bombing then no (but I highly doubt that).

F/F: we get shaun green from the mariners.

Fiction....his HOME/AWAY splits are horrible.

Saltyfan
07-05-2008, 04:45 AM
F/F. Our 2010 outfield will consist of Heyward, Schafer, Gorkys.

jmtapia
07-05-2008, 05:05 AM
F/F. Our 2010 outfield will consist of Heyward, Schafer, Gorkys.

Fiction: Gorkys and Schafer have the most value as CF. One of the two will be traded for a stud young pitcher. Plus Frenchy would still be cheap.

BRAVE KID
07-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Fiction....his HOME/AWAY splits are horrible.
I am willing to risk it, he isn't a premier arm to be had in the market, so he shouldn't be too expensive (if at all expensive).

jmtapia
07-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Im guessing we might be able to give away either Chuck James or Thorman to get Green...

BRAVE KID
07-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Im guessing we might be able to give away either Chuck James or Thorman to get Green... they may do it. they are rebuilding so anything with value they are willing to accept, however b/c of the rameriz deal they aren't going to be asking for james. I am thinking more of ZS or stockman...if we are lucky ridgway.

jmtapia
07-05-2008, 05:51 AM
no way we give up stockman....

BRAVE KID
07-05-2008, 06:05 AM
no way we give up stockman....
HAHA knew you were going to say that, but in order to get value you must give up value since he isn't a top pen arm and his home/away splits are rather repulsive the value that we would have to give up shouldn't be too much, so I see ZS a fair deal for him but stockman would take the cake.

jdiddy24
07-05-2008, 04:09 PM
we better not trade my boy stockman.... especially considering HE SHOULD BE ON OUR TEAM RIGHT NOW INSTEAD OF ACOSTA