PDA

View Full Version : The Packers are looking at a former NFC North RB

beast
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3465537

Kevin Jones went through a workout Saturday while four NFL teams watched the running back sprint and cut just five months after he had major knee surgery.

Dr. D.S. Ping, who has been helping Jones rehabilitate his right knee, said Miami, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Detroit sent representatives to the workout in Saline, Mich.

The Lions cut their former first-round pick in March with one year left on his contract after he hurt the knee late last season, adding to the injury woes that have stunted his success in the league.

The Cleveland Browns also called, Ping said, and asked for a video of the workout.

Jones did a shuttle run on wet grass in 4.3 seconds, ran around cones and caught passes.

"All the teams basically said they were amazed by what Kevin can do," Ping said.

Jones missed the first two games last season recovering from a foot injury that also sidelined him for the last three games of 2006. He ran for at least 70 yards in five games, including a season-high 105, before hurting his knee Dec. 23 against the Chiefs.

A few months later, the Lions released him. The franchise was interested enough, though, to send director of pro personnel Sheldon White about 45 minutes west of Detroit to witness the workout.

"Sheldon said what impressed him was Kevin's burst after standing still," Ping recalled. "He also liked how Kevin picked himself up and finished a drill when he slipped on the grass that was really slick because of a lot of rain."

Ron Hughes, the Steelers' college scouting coordinator, was also impressed.

"Ron told me he thought Kevin ran really well," Ping said.

Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery on Jones' right knee in January and told him it would take up to 10 months to get back on the field. Jones, though, expects to go through non-contact drills during training camp with the team that signs him.

"I honestly feel like I'm ready to play right now," Jones insisted earlier this month.

Jones has said several other teams have also shown interest. He's vying for a job along with free agent running backs such as Shaun Alexander, Chris Henry, Ron Dayne and Cedric Benson.

He ran for 3,000-plus yards in four seasons in Detroit, including 1,133 yards as a rookie in 2004.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

He has 10 starts every year, with at least 581 yards (and that was with coming back from an injury a lot soon than every one though he would, and Mike Martz who wants to pass all day running the offense), has put up over 500 yards catching one year. He's Height: 6-0 Weight: 228 and will be 26 later this year.

I'm not sure how I feel about him, I guess it won't hurt to sign him, as long as he can beat out the guy who is #80. And let him battle is way on, to the roster.

He does get hurt a lot but does seem to recover every fast as well.

But I do have one question, why the heck did the Lions cut him, if their just going to try to get him back?

favre_4life
06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I used to be a big fan of Kevin Jones, especially when he was at Va. Tech. But he just cannot stay on the field, every year he gets injured. I would like to see him here if he is healthy.

RcrkllrH2
06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
if theres one thing i remember from him is that he has GREAT hands

so if the pack want a power runner (grant) and a more finesse runner with great hands, than id be fine bringing him in

beast
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
if theres one thing i remember from him is that he has GREAT hands

so if the pack want a power runner (grant) and a more finesse runner with great hands, than id be fine bringing him in

But don't we already have one of those, in Brandon Jackson?

Can't get push his way, past the DL, but if the OL gets him past that, he can brake some tackles and is about as good at catching as WR are, or so I've read, including MM say that.

What I think we need is, a short yardage back, who can pick up the 3rd and short and 4th in short, and can block for the QB.

Last season the only good blocker RB was Herron, and the only short yardage guys were Wynn, and maybe Herron.

I think Kevin Jones is talented but not sure he's what we need, plus he's get injured a lot.

But then again think about 2 RB in the back field (Jackson and Jones) and a fast TE in there. And the defense is in there base with only 4 DBs, only to spread the RBs and TEs out to run a big 5 play and use the RBs and TE like WRs.

Or maybe two RBs and two TEs. That just might really catch the defense off guard.

I kinda of want him, but not sure he's what we need. But he could help.

SDteacher
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I would not be opposed to bringing him in and letting him compete for a spot. If he's good enough to make the team why wouldn't we want him.

SamG187
06-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I like Kevin Jones alot, and I wouldnt even call him a injury prone guy, cuz I mean its a miracle anybody that runs the ball or plays QB for Detroit isnt in a wheel chair for the rest of their life behind that horrible line haha..But really I would be interested to see him run a 40 now that were calling him a finesse guy, cuz I find it hard to believe that you can injure your foot as bad as he did and not lose a step or 2

OnWisconsin2007
06-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Sure, come in and be a backup to Grant...not sure what else he'll be doing though.

BaRRySandAmaN
06-29-2008, 03:43 PM
He has 10 starts every year, with at least 581 yards (and that was with coming back from an injury a lot soon than every one though he would, and Mike Martz who wants to pass all day running the offense), has put up over 500 yards catching one year. He's Height: 6-0 Weight: 228 and will be 26 later this year.

I'm not sure how I feel about him, I guess it won't hurt to sign him, as long as he can beat out the guy who is #80. And let him battle is way on, to the roster.

He does get hurt a lot but does seem to recover every fast as well.

But I do have one question, why the heck did the Lions cut him, if their just going to try to get him back?
We cut him for business reasons. He was getting paid too much for too little production. IMO I would of restrutured his deal but they have other plans. I still think he can play but we will have to see if he can hold up through a whole season.

beast
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Sure, come in and be a backup to Grant...not sure what else he'll be doing though.

Well, he comes from VA Tech. That doesn't mean anything for sure, but most VA Tech guys seem to be able to also play ST well, or at least decent. I'm not saying he can but just saying he might be able too. Anybody know for sure, one way or the other?

We cut him for business reasons. He was getting paid too much for too little production. IMO I would of restrutured his deal but they have other plans. I still think he can play but we will have to see if he can hold up through a whole season.

That was my point, why cut a guy? If their is a chance to redo his deal?

Unless maybe he would agree to a new deal, and he has lower his price, since being a FA.

Then again, why am I questioning Matt Millen, it's Matt Millen, he does what he wants.

IRNMN
06-29-2008, 06:38 PM
He would be a solid pick up if he could stay on the field. I would not mind giving him a shot here, and it not like he will be relied on to put up monster numbers considering he would be the #3 guy behind Jackson and Grant. I would not mind seeing him here at all.

SamG187
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Yea this coming in and backing up sounds all well and good but I think this guy is gonna want to go somewhere he can start...He's gonna want way to much money im sure for us to pay him to back up

beast
06-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Yea this coming in and backing up sounds all well and good but I think this guy is gonna want to go somewhere he can start...He's gonna want way to much money im sure for us to pay him to back up

I've heard a lot of people bring this up. And that assuming he has a choice. He may not get many choices, and if he says no, to some if some one offers he could end up like Culpepper with not on any team.

Well lets check out all the teams that have showed that they might want to sign him.

The Patriots had him in and could of signed him but haven't offered him a thing, so I'm guessing they don't want him.

Miami, Ronnie Brown and maybe Ricky Williams or not, and open field, and a 1-15 record, and build from the ground up. Does Jones want to be #2 on a team that is being rebuild and OL is questionable?

Green Bay, Grant, Jackson, and open field and a 13-3 record. Does he want to be #2 or #3 on a young good team, that could be going somewhere?

Pittsburgh, Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore and open field. A 10-6 record but they lost their LG and already have good RBs. Does he want to be #3 or #4 on a team he may not make the roster on?

and Detroit, the team that just cut him, Kevin Smith and open field. He could most likely be #1 but they just cut him, and sooner or later will try to kick him out of the starting position for Smith.

Also I've heard that the Brown asked for a video of the try outs, but didn't send anyone to see it in person.

Browns, Jamal Lewis, and open field. But Lewis is only 3 years older.

IF all these teams offer contracts I think the best place would be the Browns for him, he's be a #2 and has skills that the Starter does have.

Then it's close between the Lions and Packers. And depending on how things ended there he may not ever want to go back to the Lions.

So if everyone offered contract IMO the Packers could be #2 on the list. And at worst #3. And that's assuming the other teams will offer contracts, which the Browns didn't even send anyone to check it out, so who know even they're really looking.

So IMO he's not going to start unless injuries happen. What does doesn't already have a starting RB? Other than maybe the Lions?

hughest4
06-29-2008, 09:46 PM

Just because you cut somebody it doesn't mean you don't like them on your team. Kevin Jones hasnt been able to stay on the field so they probably didn't think he was worth the money that he was getting paid. I'm sure if they could get him back for cheap they would.

Even though i like our current RB's, i wouldn't mind him in Green Bay

dtrsi
06-30-2008, 01:33 AM
I feel good about the skills of our current running backs, but to get a guy like kevin jones at a time when his value is so low may not be something we should pass up. A lot of teams are proving that 2 back systems work, and as much as I like jackson he hasn't shown that he can do more than jones could do. This is a hard decision because jackson has upsides and needs playing time to improve, but to win now you need to play the best players possible.

RcrkllrH2
06-30-2008, 11:05 AM
VERY good assesment beast

i would have quoted you....but i figured with that long freakin thing itd just be easier to call you by name

so...props to you bud

SamG187
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I've heard a lot of people bring this up. And that assuming he has a choice. He may not get many choices, and if he says no, to some if some one offers he could end up like Culpepper with not on any team.

Well lets check out all the teams that have showed that they might want to sign him.

The Patriots had him in and could of signed him but haven't offered him a thing, so I'm guessing they don't want him.

Miami, Ronnie Brown and maybe Ricky Williams or not, and open field, and a 1-15 record, and build from the ground up. Does Jones want to be #2 on a team that is being rebuild and OL is questionable?

Green Bay, Grant, Jackson, and open field and a 13-3 record. Does he want to be #2 or #3 on a young good team, that could be going somewhere?

Pittsburgh, Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore and open field. A 10-6 record but they lost their LG and already have good RBs. Does he want to be #3 or #4 on a team he may not make the roster on?

and Detroit, the team that just cut him, Kevin Smith and open field. He could most likely be #1 but they just cut him, and sooner or later will try to kick him out of the starting position for Smith.

Also I've heard that the Brown asked for a video of the try outs, but didn't send anyone to see it in person.

Browns, Jamal Lewis, and open field. But Lewis is only 3 years older.

IF all these teams offer contracts I think the best place would be the Browns for him, he's be a #2 and has skills that the Starter does have.

Then it's close between the Lions and Packers. And depending on how things ended there he may not ever want to go back to the Lions.

So if everyone offered contract IMO the Packers could be #2 on the list. And at worst #3. And that's assuming the other teams will offer contracts, which the Browns didn't even send anyone to check it out, so who know even they're really looking.

So IMO he's not going to start unless injuries happen. What does doesn't already have a starting RB? Other than maybe the Lions?

True the league is pretty sewed up for running backs and I dont think I ever remember a time when there was such an abundence of Backs, I didnt know the Browns were looking at him and to me thats something thtahe would be looking for, Jamal Lewis is aging so its a situation that Kevin Jones could maybe step into as the starter in 2 years

beast
06-30-2008, 01:52 PM
True the league is pretty sewed up for running backs and I dont think I ever remember a time when there was such an abundence of Backs, I didnt know the Browns were looking at him and to me thats something thtahe would be looking for, Jamal Lewis is aging so its a situation that Kevin Jones could maybe step into as the starter in 2 years

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080629/PKR01/806290566/1058/PKR01
says,
"The Cleveland Browns called, Ping said, and asked for a video of the workout"
so the Browns are looking but, who does how hard. Also who knows if the Browns will offer a contract (I think they should but that doesn't mean they will). Also who knows if Lewis is falling apart or he's going to be around a lot longer. He has only 7,741 yards in the last 6 seasons or an avg. of very little more than 1,290 yards an season, with 1,304 yards last year, which is higher than his avg. per season (I know barely but it is higher).

SamG187
06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080629/PKR01/806290566/1058/PKR01
says,
"The Cleveland Browns called, Ping said, and asked for a video of the workout"
so the Browns are looking but, who does how hard. Also who knows if the Browns will offer a contract (I think they should but that doesn't mean they will). Also who knows if Lewis is falling apart or he's going to be around a lot longer. He has only 7,741 yards in the last 6 seasons or an avg. of very little more than 1,290 yards an season, with 1,304 yards last year, which is higher than his avg. per season (I know barely but it is higher).

Yea Jamal for sure still has it, and I agree the Brown should get him cuz that would be a nasty 1-2 punch with Jamal and Kevin and they would go along with the weapons they got in the passing game...The Brown would be a scary team and IMO top 5 or maybe even top 3 offense

XJW18
07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
i wouldnt mind him comin to GB then we could get rid of noah herron.
have kinda like a 4 man punch
Ryan Grant
Brandon Jackson
Kevin Jones
Deshawn Wynn

uncfan44
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
But don't we already have one of those, in Brandon Jackson?

Can't get push his way, past the DL, but if the OL gets him past that, he can brake some tackles and is about as good at catching as WR are, or so I've read, including MM say that.

What I think we need is, a short yardage back, who can pick up the 3rd and short and 4th in short, and can block for the QB.

Last season the only good blocker RB was Herron, and the only short yardage guys were Wynn, and maybe Herron.

I think Kevin Jones is talented but not sure he's what we need, plus he's get injured a lot.

But then again think about 2 RB in the back field (Jackson and Jones) and a fast TE in there. And the defense is in there base with only 4 DBs, only to spread the RBs and TEs out to run a big 5 play and use the RBs and TE like WRs.

Or maybe two RBs and two TEs. That just might really catch the defense off guard.

I kinda of want him, but not sure he's what we need. But he could help.

i agree with the bjax comment, we have a speed back to back up Grant. but i think we have a fun short yardage in wyhn. he ran well b4 gettin injured in goal line situations and 3rd down and short. If he is not counted on to be the main back he will get injured as much or feel pressure. I think we r set at RB, WR, and TE i would like to see vet help at guard, and a pro bowl type Safety but maybe im askin to much...lol.!!!:)

SamG187
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
i wouldnt mind him comin to GB then we could get rid of noah herron.
have kinda like a 4 man punch
Ryan Grant
Brandon Jackson
Kevin Jones
Deshawn Wynn

And get rid of the Post Man? haha we need him to fight crime,but like I said before, having to many RB's is a bad thing..Grant need 25 carries a game this year and we dont need other backs taking touches from him...Last year he got better as the game goes on like good backs are suppose too

Soop
07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I think giving Jones a shot at back up would improve your running game no doubt.

francoeur4mvp
07-04-2008, 08:43 PM
i'd like to see jones in green bay, he's good as hell. i hope we do make a run at him.