PDA

View Full Version : Dorsey in the system?

TMAC94
06-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Where will he fit into our system? i reckon he'll play behind landry but will get around the same mintues, our system at the moment should be:

PG: Alston, Francis, Brooks
SG: Tmac, Head, Greene
SF: Battier, Greene, Novak
PF: Scola, Landry, Dorsey
C: Yao, Hayes, Dorsey, Deke

With some trades:

PG: Alston, Brooks or Francis
SG: Tmac, Green, Greene
SF: Artest, Greene, Novak

if he opts out
Sign and Trade: Houston and Kings

Houston Gets:

Ron Artest
2nd Round 2009

Kings get:

Shane Battier
Steve Francis or Aaron Brooks
Luther Head
2nd round 2009
1st round 2010

Battier

nyyfan4life
06-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Will likely be the primary back-up to Yao.

connorg3
06-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Dorsey is a beast. I think he'll fill a similar role to Landry with better D. If you remember, Landrys choice to use dunks in his shot selection was only second to D. Howard in the league at one time. That's what everyone says about Dorsey, getting most of his offense off of garbage and second chance shots. That is something the Rox have been missing, and Landry brought it. However, his D was kinda suspect at times and he didn't have that vicious mentality coupled with Dorsey's build. Dorsey may just take Landry's spot, and if he does Landry becomes valuable trade bait, and most teams would jump on it. I would rather give up Landry then Brooks, simply because we have a *** ton of PFs. I think Dorsey will do well withing RAs system, simply because he won't have to create his own shot, as its based more off of ball movement then one on one.

fredv
06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Dorsey will eat children. I mean Tmac watch out he could possibly come for your daughter.
I'm happy we got a guy with attitude that is going to get our team pumped up. I hope that in a couple years he will be the guy yelling at everyone to get them hot. Because as of now Deke has holded this role and when I hear him I tend to fall asleep.
Dorsey is a scary guy.

Brun"DMC"
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
This is what I think of Dorsey. The Rockets shouldn't have traded Darrel Arthur dumb a$$e$

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/07/23/713-SPORTS-BKC-NCAA-9-KC.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

{}
06-29-2008, 02:17 PM
This is what I think of Dorsey. The Rockets shouldn't have traded Darrel Arthur dumb a$$e$

http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2008/04/07/23/713-SPORTS-BKC-NCAA-9-KC.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

Wrong style of player. IMO, the last thing the Rockets need is a 216lb finese PF who plays most of his game below the rim. Arthurs highlight reel will almost put you to sleep in that it consists mainly of pump fakes and reverse layups. I doubt he has the strength to post someone like Deron Williams let alone any NBA power forward or center. Arthur needs 20lbs of muscle before he's even on the level of Juwan Howard from a physical standpoint, which still wouldn't be saying much. Dorsey's mentality and his explosive attacking style in the paint is better suited to compliment Yao and Tmac.

I'd rather have a Landry type presence with defensive ability than J.Howard back on the team limp wristing 15ft jumpers and being abused on defense. :eyebrow:

Brun"DMC"
06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I guess you didn't see the link. Here it is again, By the way Darrel Arthur can put the ball on the ground. He could easily be a 3 in the this league. The kid is versatile. I might be a little bias because I'm from Kansas and all but he would eat up Dorsey. Dorsey reminds me of Mike Harris.

sep11ie
06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Of course your on his nuts, your from Kansas. One dunk doesn't tell the whole story yo. Gerald Green can dunk too and where is he?

SC1211
06-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Of course your on his nuts, your from Kansas. One dunk doesn't tell the whole story yo. Gerald Green can dunk too and where is he?

Seriously, Arthur isn't God reincarnated. He's largely unproven, and by nabbing Dorsey, we freed up Landry as trade bait. One dunk proves nothing, surely you can't be that naive.

Chronz
06-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Dorsey is a beast. I think he'll fill a similar role to Landry with better D. If you remember, Landrys choice to use dunks in his shot selection was only second to D. Howard in the league at one time. That's what everyone says about Dorsey, getting most of his offense off of garbage and second chance shots. That is something the Rox have been missing, and Landry brought it. However, his D was kinda suspect at times and he didn't have that vicious mentality coupled with Dorsey's build. Dorsey may just take Landry's spot, and if he does Landry becomes valuable trade bait, and most teams would jump on it. I would rather give up Landry then Brooks, simply because we have a *** ton of PFs. I think Dorsey will do well withing RAs system, simply because he won't have to create his own shot, as its based more off of ball movement then one on one.
The offense is based on ball movement, but I doubt Dorsey has the basketball IQ that Landry has and wont be as adept at reacting to the movement. Landry is so good at finding the open spaces and once he has a lane he either dunks it or counters the collapsing defenses and throws up a high% shot in the paint. I dont think that can be easily replaced, few people produce at the rate Landry did, in fact for the minutes he played Landry was the best rookie in the league. If he can do that for 24-28 minutes a night then Dorsey wont ever see the light of day.

Jpripper88
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I guess you didn't see the link. Here it is again, By the way Darrel Arthur can put the ball on the ground. He could easily be a 3 in the this league. The kid is versatile. I might be a little bias because I'm from Kansas and all but he would eat up Dorsey. Dorsey reminds me of Mike Harris.

Darrel Arthur can be a very good player in the NBA, but he is not a 3. He does not have the quickness and ball handling to be a 3. The Rockets did not need another PF in the 1st round, but Dorsey in the 2nd made sense.

connorg3
06-29-2008, 06:47 PM
The offense is based on ball movement, but I doubt Dorsey has the basketball IQ that Landry has and wont be as adept at reacting to the movement. Landry is so good at finding the open spaces and once he has a lane he either dunks it or counters the collapsing defenses and throws up a high% shot in the paint. I dont think that can be easily replaced, few people produce at the rate Landry did, in fact for the minutes he played Landry was the best rookie in the league. If he can do that for 24-28 minutes a night then Dorsey wont ever see the light of day.

I do believe Landry is better. I'm incredibly high on him. However, if we truly are looking for a third option we have to offer something better then scrubs. You have to give up something to get something. It's unrealistic and all around stupid to think otherwise. We're not giving up Brooks, even though i'm not sure of him as a player. A team that has a legit player we want will want young, quality talent. Plus, it depends on what Landry asks for in this offseason monetarily. Remember, he is the back up PF once we get a decent back up Center. He's not the starter. Lots of teams know he can start right away.

Brun"DMC"
06-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Seriously, Arthur isn't God reincarnated. He's largely unproven, and by nabbing Dorsey, we freed up Landry as trade bait. One dunk proves nothing, surely you can't be that naive.

I never suggested he was god. But let me tell you one thing, if you think Dorsey is even close to being better than Landry you have another thing coming. Dorsey is 6'7. Let me repeat 6'7. I'll put it to you like former heavyweight champ Larry Holmes did, "Joey Dorsey couldn't carry Carl Landry's jock strap. " And you can quote me on that. LOL Landry made all rookie team last year, so why in the world would you want to use him as trade bait? Everyone knows we need a third option in the starting line up but why trade the future in Carl Landry?

mightybosstone
06-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I never suggested he was god. But let me tell you one thing, if you think Dorsey is even close to being better than Landry you have another thing coming. Dorsey is 6'7. Let me repeat 6'7. I'll put it to you like former heavyweight champ Larry Holmes did, "Joey Dorsey couldn't carry Carl Landry's jock strap. " And he can quote me on that. LOL Landry made all rookie team last year, so why in the world would you want to use him as trade bait? Everyone knows we need a third option in the starting line up but why trade the future in Carl Landry?

Who cares if Dorsey is 6-7? I think he's going to be a much better defender than Landry... and just because Landry played well for a stretch in his rookie season doesn't make him some sort of basketball god like you're making him out to be. Plus, if he's asking for a huge contract... he's not worth it and the Rockets could find much better uses for that money.

{}
06-30-2008, 01:16 AM
I never suggested he was god. But let me tell you one thing, if you think Dorsey is even close to being better than Landry you have another thing coming. Dorsey is 6'7. Let me repeat 6'7. I'll put it to you like former heavyweight champ Larry Holmes did, "Joey Dorsey couldn't carry Carl Landry's jock strap. " And you can quote me on that. LOL Landry made all rookie team last year, so why in the world would you want to use him as trade bait? Everyone knows we need a third option in the starting line up but why trade the future in Carl Landry?

Notice Landry blocking many shots last season? I didn't. Landry is 6'8 and has a reach of 8'5. Dorsey is 6'7 and has a reach of 8'11. As far as rebounding, dunking and defense, Dorsey is bigger than Landry. On offense both are undersized and would find it difficult to shoot over 6'10 PF's. Fortunately for them, all they have to do is finish plays at the rim with a dunk. And Landry is and probably will always be an energy guy off the bench. The guy simply does a good and entertaining job of throwing down those wide open dunks courtesy of Yao and Tmac. He isn't a star player, or potential star by any stretch IMO.

Rhyming Rebel
06-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Notice Landry blocking many shots last season? I didn't. Landry is 6'8 and has a reach of 8'5. Dorsey is 6'7 and has a reach of 8'11. As far as rebounding, dunking and defense, Dorsey is bigger than Landry. On offense both are undersized and would find it difficult to shoot over 6'10 PF's. Fortunately for them, all they have to do is finish plays at the rim with a dunk. And Landry is and probably will always be an energy guy off the bench. The guy simply does a good and entertaining job of throwing down those wide open dunks courtesy of Yao and Tmac. He isn't a star player, or potential star by any stretch IMO.

I agree

Chronz
06-30-2008, 03:43 AM
I do believe Landry is better. I'm incredibly high on him. However, if we truly are looking for a third option we have to offer something better then scrubs. You have to give up something to get something. It's unrealistic and all around stupid to think otherwise. We're not giving up Brooks, even though i'm not sure of him as a player. A team that has a legit player we want will want young, quality talent. Plus, it depends on what Landry asks for in this offseason monetarily. Remember, he is the back up PF once we get a decent back up Center. He's not the starter. Lots of teams know he can start right away.

Im with you on that front, Ive already discussed a few trade ideas involving Landry. I just hope Dorsey proves his worth, Ive never known a player who got selected so late in the draft to have so much to prove, especially if we end up trading Landry and he gos on to blow up.

Manos
06-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Picking up Dorsey means Hayes is on his way out. They're both undersized, both terrible on offense, both strong defenders, good rebounders, but Dorsey is much cheaper.

HouRealCoach
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I see him as Yao's backup

DreamShaker
07-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Picking up Dorsey means Hayes is on his way out. They're both undersized, both terrible on offense, both strong defenders, good rebounders, but Dorsey is much cheaper.

And Dorsey can dunk....watching Hayes and Scola put up weak layups around the basket was excruiciating last season....if he can be Hayes with a few more inches and the ability to bring it strong to the hoop....i'm happy to have him....

Ballah0liC1
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Where will he fit into our system? i reckon he'll play behind landry but will get around the same mintues, our system at the moment should be:

PG: Alston, Francis, Brooks
SG: Tmac, Head, Greene
SF: Battier, Greene, Novak

With some trades:

PG: Alston, Brooks or Francis
SG: Tmac, Green, Greene
SF: Artest, Greene, Novak

if he opts out