PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook

FWBrodie
06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I think we needed a thread to discuss the Sonics 2008 first round draft pick, Russell Westbrook. Here it is. What do you think about him? What do you know/have you heard about him? How is he doing? Etc...

FWBrodie
06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
This is the best highlight video I've seen of Russell...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=haq_JS0YFXk

Seriously, you should watch it. A lot of pretty insane dunks and athleticism. It shows a bit of him when he was in high school too and was under six feet tall.

Nwsports22
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Im happy with the pick, we needed a lock down defender and we got one. He kid is super athletic and hes still only what 19 years old? hes going to develop into a very good player.

I watched that video yesterday its pretty good. Its crazy that he couldnt dunk until his senior year and now he can jump out of the gym.

Phann
06-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Very excited about this kid. I think he will be one of those players that always keep fans on their feet. I can't wait to watch him in person in his new sonics uni!

dirk206
06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I like the pick, should be a very solid player for the Sonics. I just hope they are not dumb enough to start Watson or Ridnour to start the season depending on who we keep. they should just start Westbrook.

Mariner_mojo
06-29-2008, 04:14 AM
Can he shoot the trey??? I only remember him killing with his mid range game.

blackjack_119
06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8110876306853853111&q=russell+westbrook&ei=3nFnSJrcAo3CqAOF-_nCBg

Here is his workout tape from the Blazers... I think it is the most recent footage of him. He has put on a lot of muscle since the tournament and has an NBA ready body. His half-court offense has always been a big question mark, but during his workout with the Blazers he shot 77% from three... granted it is only practice.

Reezy
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
This is the best highlight video I've seen of Russell...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=haq_JS0YFXk

Seriously, you should watch it. A lot of pretty insane dunks and athleticism. It shows a bit of him when he was in high school too and was under six feet tall.

What a great highlight video! :)

The Sonics better be starting him next season! Westbrook is going to be great!

Mariner_mojo
06-29-2008, 06:22 PM
That video didnt really show much. It showed his awesome form and body control and how athletic he is... But it barely showed anything against other players. Its really easy to get all excited about a video that shows a guy not miss

Mariner_mojo
06-29-2008, 10:06 PM
But still.... good stuff. His stock just keeps rising. Just like his Vince Carter like dunks:D

_Sn1P3r_
07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I think he'll be the starting PG for you guys. I really like him.

FWBrodie
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Can he shoot the trey??? I only remember him killing with his mid range game.

It isn't his strength, but he'll hit a few threes. Hopefully he improves in that area.

kc5950
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Don't take this as any projection of performance, but Westbrook's scouting report is very similar to that of Gary Payton early in his career.

Doesn't shoot well, or terribly. Great defender. Not a pure PG yet (I'd argue GP never got there).

Westbrook is more athletic, and will probably end up being a bit bigger overall, but Payton was probably a better ball handler.

That highlight video shows mostly uncontested dunks though, which are a very small part of what Westbrook will have to do to be successful as a PG in Seattle. I just hope this doesn't preclude the sonics from taking Ricky Rubio if they have the opportunity.

dirk206
07-02-2008, 01:41 AM
I really hope they go hard after Ricky Rubio, he's one Euro player that I would be up in arms for. I'm hoping the Sonics improve this year, but maybe not by much because I want them to have 1 of the top 5 picks in next years draft. Plus, we should have a ton of cap space for 2009 free agents. I think 2009 will be a year that you'll see a big change in the roster.

kc5950
07-02-2008, 04:41 AM
I don't really see any 2009 free agents worth saving cap room for. Chris Paul is about to be extended, and I'm sure Deron Williams will be. Andrew Bynum will be a RFA, and any deal that I think he's worth the Lakers will match.

I'd rather see the Sonics save cap room for 2010 or 2011,

These are potential 2010 free agents.

Joe Johnson, Atlanta
Ben Wallace, Chicago
Larry Hughes, Cleveland
Zydrunas Ilgaukas, Cleveland
Josh Howard (Team Option for 2010/2011, very affordable, so unlikely to be free)
Dirk Nowitzki (player option for 2010/2011, for $21,513,524, unlikely to opt out)
Rip Hamilton, Detroit
Al Harrington, Golden State
Stephen Jackson, Golden State
Tracy McGrady, Houston
Rafer Alston, Houston
Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana
Cuttino Mobley, LAC
Tim Thomas, LAC
Kobe Bryant, LAL (player option for 2009/2010, 2010/2011)
Mike Miller, Memphis
Shaquille O'Neal, Miami
Dwayne Wade, Miami
Bobby Simmons, Milwaukee
Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee
Charles Villanueva, Milwaukee
Chris Paul, New Orleans
Quentin Richardson, NYK
Jerome James, NYK
Hidayet Turkoglu, Orl
Amare Stoudemire (player option, underpaid)
Steve Nash
Raja Bell
Darius Miles
Brad Miller
Shareef Abdul-Rahim
Kenny Thomas
Tim Duncan
Emanuel Ginobili
Ray Allen
Earl Watson
Luke Ridnour
Chris Bosh (player option, underpaid)
TJ Ford ($8,500,000 player option, hard to tell if that is a good deal for him or not)
Carlos Boozer (can opt out in 08/09)
Mehmet Okur (can opt out in 08/09)
Deron Williams
Marcus Camby
Marquis Daniels
Andrew Bynum
Udonis Haslem

dirk206
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
That's quite a list, too bad we may be gone by then so we won't be able to see them in Keyarena.

FWBrodie
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Don't take this as any projection of performance, but Westbrook's scouting report is very similar to that of Gary Payton early in his career.

Doesn't shoot well, or terribly. Great defender. Not a pure PG yet (I'd argue GP never got there).

Westbrook is more athletic, and will probably end up being a bit bigger overall, but Payton was probably a better ball handler.

That highlight video shows mostly uncontested dunks though, which are a very small part of what Westbrook will have to do to be successful as a PG in Seattle. I just hope this doesn't preclude the sonics from taking Ricky Rubio if they have the opportunity.

How did GP "never" become a true PG? He's one of the best PG's of all time and had 10 seasons with at least 7 assists per game.